Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Less of the arguing lads. I was on the panel and if I had the time I'd do the reserves but I don't. Look everyone is going to have to go through the recruitment process so this ex panel vs reserves childish stuff needs to end. Acting like a bunch of Aul ones!!! Just wondering has anyone actually gotten a letter or rang HR about the panel being dissolved?? Reserves are welcome to comment too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

kdarragh wrote: »
    Less of the arguing lads. I was on the panel and if I had the time I'd do the reserves but I don't. Look everyone is going to have to go through the recruitment process so this ex panel vs reserves childish stuff needs to end. Acting like a bunch of Aul ones!!! Just wondering has anyone actually gotten a letter or rang HR about the panel being dissolved?? Reserves are welcome to comment too :)

No letter myself but i did email the minister asking if it was dissolved why we hadnt been informed .I got an email back saying my question was recieved but no actual reply yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I'm a serving member and I don't want someone getting in just cause they were a reserve and had the time to be a reserve, I want to work with people who applied and passed the various stages, Wheather they were a reserve or not means jack **** to me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

I'm a serving member and I don't want someone getting in just cause they were a reserve and had the time to be a reserve, I want to work with people who applied and passed the various stages, Wheather they were a reserve or not means jack **** to me!!!

Well I agree Reserves should have to got through the application process like anyone else. However I do feel that when they recruit the should split it 50/50. Half the places for Reserves who apply and if they dont fill that 50% with reserves (AS some may be unsuitable) add it to the 50% from the public applications or vice versa.

At this point I dont care I just want a shot at the interview and the job as a whole. I feel like going on some rant right now but ill get myself in trouble.
    Anyone whose ever wanted to get into AGS has had some pain waiting for the recruitment ban to be lifted. I also feel for the panel what happened ye guys is awful. They should of taken ye in 5 years ago and used the panel instead of having ye wait and screw ye over then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Good luck to any reserve who applies and gets in and I'm sure their experience in the reserve would stand to them in an interview. But they should not be exempt from the aptitude test, if they are good enough they will get in. Not all reserves will be suitable for a full time role and that's why they should not be given any exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 terryadams

Lads,when they recruit they will take in a small number and probably wont recruit for another two to three years after that.60% of gardai were recruited in last ten years or so,most of the remaining 40% were recruited in the 90's..its going to take very little recruitment to keep numbers at 13,000.Its going to be the total opposite to boom years infrequent campaigns and small numbers.There's plenty of top quality candidates out there who are quietly confident of getting in next time but cant all get in,simply it.
    if you werent successful during boom waited six months for another chance as I say could be wait of a couple of years after next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr Alan
    Shatter T.D., to refer to your recent email regarding the recruitment
    panel.

The Minister intends bringing proposals to Government shortly in relation
    to the strength of the Garda Síochána and when recruitment might
    recommence. While no final decision has been taken in relation to the
    recruitment panel created as a result of the last recruitment process, the
    fact that this panel is now approximately five years old gives rise to
    significant issues which will have to be taken into account.

The Minister understands that those on the panel are seeking clarity and he
    will ensure that you are notified as soon as a decision is reached.

I trust this clarifies the situation for you.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Heard word around my local station that we 'could ' see activity in september.

If any of u are interested and willing the PSNI are making shapes about a huge campaign in august :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

waiting28 wrote: »
    I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr Alan
    Shatter T.D., to refer to your recent email regarding the recruitment
    panel.

The Minister intends bringing proposals to Government shortly in relation
    to the strength of the Garda Síochána and when recruitment might
    recommence. While no final decision has been taken in relation to the
    recruitment panel created as a result of the last recruitment process, the
    fact that this panel is now approximately five years old gives rise to
    significant issues which will have to be taken into account.

The Minister understands that those on the panel are seeking clarity and he
    will ensure that you are notified as soon as a decision is reached.

I trust this clarifies the situation for you.

Yours sincerely,

It was only said 4 months ago that it is unlikely that the panel would be used, messing with yer heads at this stage!

This was the post in this very thread...

Looks like it has been scrapped.

""Michael Lavery – 28 February 2013 10:40 AM

CANDIDATES who have been on a garda recruitment panel for years will have to re-apply and start from scratch when the force seeks new members.

Justice Minister Alan Shatter is to consider restarting garda recruitment by the year end.

A revised training programme has been introduced in the Garda College following a review of training for garda recruits, Minister Shatter said.

"In light of this and in view of the fact that the existing garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it is unlikely that the existing panel will be used in any future recruitment," the Minister said.

The matter will be "kept under review", he told Fine Gael TD Brian Walsh in the Dail.

Garda numbers had been reducing because of the moratorium on recruitment.

"My objective is to ensure that garda numbers will not fall below 13,000.

"I have informed my Cabinet colleagues that I am reviewing the position regarding garda strength in the light of an estimated reduction to just over 13,000 by the end of 2013."

Last November, numbers in the force totalled 13,440.

Mr Shatter pointed out at the time that, under the terms of the EU-IMF programme, garda numbers must fall to "at least" 13,000.

He was responding to questions from Niall Collins TD (FF), who pointed out that garda training took two years.

http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-recruits-panel-have-to-reapply-for-jobs-29100977.html

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has told the Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality that legislation on the collection of fines will be published in the coming weeks.

Mr Shatter also told the committee that he believes a regular intake of new garda recruits is necessary, but must be done within the confines of the public finances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Was just going to post this yogi but ye got there ahead of me :)

It's ridiculous that we're waiting so long for this news but we're also waiting on the news that the panel has been scrapped.

Really poorly handled by the Minister considering he stated the panel was safe in april 2011, the last group of trainees that passed out of Templemore was in June '11.. at the ceremony he said the earliest date he would consider recruitment would be at late 2012 / early 2013 (my interpretation was the panel would still stay valid during this time).

Feb 2013, we all know what he said the link is above.

The competition will be too severe for me to go through considering the amount of people who will apply, get through the various stages for 50-80 trainee places available, the new panel will be 10 times bigger than the one we are/were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

Hi all, just wondering has anyone heard anything at all?
    Seemed there was alot on the news a while ago that seemed quite positive for us and then nothing after it. Will it be this year at all now?

Great news guys but what's going to happen us I wonder ?

annlewis wrote: »
    Great news guys but what's going to happen us I wonder ?

Great news alright,, I honestly don t know.. Would there be much point ringing HQ???

:confused:

I'm not sure. They might already be up the walls with phone calls. Surely they should make contact with us because what if we do need to apply again and we are under the illusion we don't? I really don't know

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 asgaeilge

its brand new campaign he said ads will be put in papers for large number of applications..its gonna be scary amount of people applying

asgaeilge wrote: »
    its brand new campaign he said ads will be put in papers for large number of applications..its gonna be scary amount of people applying

Scary is rite!! I wonder will they try and narrow i down somewat? like bringing in the requirements?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 asgaeilge

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Scary is rite!! I wonder will they try and narrow i down somewat? like bringing in the requirements?

the powers that be will narrow down candidates themselves! :rolleyes:

asgaeilge wrote: »
    the powers that be will narrow down candidates themselves! :rolleyes:
    Lets hope your right:) gona be hard to get in this time with so many candadites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

OMG...I can't believe after 4 years on a panel and with everything done.....are we goin to get in or will we have to reapply??

bettyboo1 wrote: »
    OMG...I can't believe after 4 years on a panel and with everything done.....are we goin to get in or will we have to reapply??

Im with you Bettyboo. On the panel too since a long time ago - jan 09 everything done. Will we get in I wonder or will we need to reapply?

Im with you Bettyboo. On the panel too since a long time ago - jan 09 everything done. Will we get in I wonder or will we need to reapply?
    I could see them taking from the reserves and the panel. Not everyones going to make it in though. As for everyone outside those groups itl be interesting to see what happens.

Hard to see alrite what way they ll work it!

The most logical and economical step would be to take the panel and reserves for this pool and make a new panel from the general public!

Thats what I d do if it was my call.. And im from the general public,,

I honestly hope the panel are invited in first

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Hard to see alrite what way they ll work it!

The most logical and economical step would be to take the panel and reserves for this pool and make a new panel from the general public!

I see anything less as a total stab in the back for the panel and current reserves. I think the panel need to have BR checks on themselves and medical redone and reserves to got through all the stages.

I know there is people in the general public that would make great gardai but I just think the reserve should be a requirement from now on. Two reasons for this:

*Youll see what the job is like and if its for you instead of doing all the training for fulltime then relising its not for you.

*Anyone crazy enough to be a reserve has passion for the job and isnt in it for the power. I feel its a effective screening for dedicated people to those who just want job security etc etc. Obviously itl still have flaws ....

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    I could see them taking from the reserves and the panel. Not everyones going to make it in though. As for everyone outside those groups itl be interesting to see what happens.

Who knows. I guess we'll see in time. Soon. Hopefully someone will be in touch with us to tell us if we have been taken off the panel. No one has actually been in contact with us since we past everything.

Who knows. I guess we'll see in time. Soon. Hopefully someone will be in touch with us to tell us if we have been taken off the panel. No one has actually been in contact with us since we past everything.
    Ye guys have been put through the shredder the past few years. If it had been up to me I would of had ye be the last class back then. To be 100% honest anything to do with the government and recruitment scares the hell outa me. We dont know what there going to do next

Tyron Jara wrote: »
    Ye guys have been put through the shredder the past few years. If it had been up to me I would of had ye be the last class back then. To be 100% honest anything to do with the government and recruitment scares the hell outa me. We dont know what there going to do next

No we don't at all. Wondering about the new requirements and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Heard from existing member that all panels have been scrapped in line with other emergency services ie dublin fire brigade , hence the comments from the minister of adverts in paper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

There is going to be a few disappointed reserves. I just wonder will there be mass resignations from the Reserve pool as alot of reserves are in it for a full time job. Only there is no full time job for any reserve that's guaranteed !

Advertisement