Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Panel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

kdarragh wrote: »
    Hey Ladies and Gents, finally some concrete news! They are set to take down a "select few" from the panel by the end of the year. I contacted the Gaurd who looked after recruitment in my area. He doesn't know the details about what is meant by a "select few". As far as he's concerned its set in stone that recruits will be down by 2014. The Commissioner has been pushing recruitment since mid 2012 (obviously behind closed doors). Are many people still interested??

What you were told is not 'concrete news' as it was not from the press office, sorry to tell you. Select few could mean reserves, people off the panel or open to the public. Any garda that tells you they know what is going on is bluffing. We all hear different story's every few weeks:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Hey Ladies and Gents, finally some concrete news! They are set to take down a "select few" from the panel by the end of the year. I contacted the Gaurd who looked after recruitment in my area. He doesn't know the details about what is meant by a "select few". As far as he's concerned its set in stone that recruits will be down by 2014. The Commissioner has been pushing recruitment since mid 2012 (obviously behind closed doors). Are many people still interested??

No offence but I personally won't be taking a blind bit of notice to this, the only thing that will convince me any more is a formal public announcement or if ye (the panel) receive formal letters because for the past 5 years this word of mouth crack has turned out to be nothing but hot air. Not saying it won't happen but I think I can speak for a lot of people on here. Saying that there has been increased talk on the subject over the last few months which is a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

I completely agree with you two. I have been the most sceptical person on this panel when it comes to "news" or what people have heard. I always ran any info I got through this Gaurd and every time he practically told me it was B/S but as you say there is a lot more talk of recruitment and Shatter has at least said he will consider it rather than the usual "copy&paste" answer we have gotten over the past 3 years. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/minister-planning-to-recruit-more-gardai-583853.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

A recruitment guard......never heard of such a thing, because there is no such thing, so I would not even believe this. When You apply you do it online...then do your test. then you meet a skipper....and any sergeant will do. then you meet the super. there is no such thing as a guard who looks after recruitment. My dad been a skipper for 30 years says he has learned one thing....guards for some reason can never say "i don't know". When asked a question ..your so called recruitment guard just had to give an answer, he couldn't resist, so he fed you the speel. Unless some guard where your from at the bottom of the food chain knows more then my uncle who is a sitting Junior minister.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It looks like the future of the panel is in doubt according to the Minister following a question put to him in the Dáil. Will post up the transcript when it is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Looks like it has been scrapped.

""Michael Lavery – 28 February 2013 10:40 AM

CANDIDATES who have been on a garda recruitment panel for years will have to re-apply and start from scratch when the force seeks new members.

Justice Minister Alan Shatter is to consider restarting garda recruitment by the year end.

A revised training programme has been introduced in the Garda College following a review of training for garda recruits, Minister Shatter said.

"In light of this and in view of the fact that the existing garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it is unlikely that the existing panel will be used in any future recruitment," the Minister said.

The matter will be "kept under review", he told Fine Gael TD Brian Walsh in the Dail.

Garda numbers had been reducing because of the moratorium on recruitment.

"My objective is to ensure that garda numbers will not fall below 13,000.

"I have informed my Cabinet colleagues that I am reviewing the position regarding garda strength in the light of an estimated reduction to just over 13,000 by the end of 2013."

Last November, numbers in the force totalled 13,440.

Mr Shatter pointed out at the time that, under the terms of the EU-IMF programme, garda numbers must fall to "at least" 13,000.

He was responding to questions from Niall Collins TD (FF), who pointed out that garda training took two years.

http://www.herald.ie/news/garda-recruits-panel-have-to-reapply-for-jobs-29100977.html

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

This was always going to happen i know i would not have put my life on hold for five years, in the hope of getting a place we now see what has happened.

At least it will give the Reserves a better chance of fulfilling their career in AGS now if they want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

absolutely gutted to hear this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

McCoy wrote: »
    Will you go for it again??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

McCoy wrote: »

Absolutley crazy. Can't believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Here is the parliamentary reply in question:
    * To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if, in the event that recruitment of Gardaí is sanctioned in future, whether the intake will occur from existing recruitment panels; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

- Brian Walsh TD
    Garda numbers have been reducing due to the moratorium on recruitment. My objective, despite the enormous financial pressures facing the Government is to ensure that Garda numbers will not fall below 13,000. I have informed my Cabinet colleagues that I am reviewing the position regarding Garda strength in light of an estimated reduction to just over 13,000 by the end of 2013, and, in this context, I will be bringing all relevant proposals to Cabinet in the coming weeks.

The Deputy will be aware that following a review of the training for recruit Gardaí, a revised training programme has been introduced in the Garda College. In light of this and in view of the fact that the existing Garda recruitment panel is now approximately five years old, it is unlikely that the existing panel will be used in any future recruitment. However the matter will be kept under review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

GRs rejoice

comiserations to the former panel members

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Rejoice my arse, you're still going to have to go through a recruitment process like everyone else, I for one will certainly be applying again so I guess ill see you at the aptitude test

Rejoice my arse, you're still going to have to go through a recruitment process like everyone else, I for one will certainly be applying again so I guess ill see you at the aptitude test

hopefully sooner than later pal, for both our sakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kdarragh

Shocking to say the least. Why would he wait this long, announce recruitment, then scrap the panel. If he was going to do it he should
    have scrapped it at the last passing out ceremony in June 2011!
    Won't be going back through the process myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Shocking to say the least. Why would he wait this long, announce recruitment, then scrap the panel. If he was going to do it he should

Commiserations to all effected.

Any reason why not? If you where good for them then I am sure your just as good now.

What will be interesting to see is if the Garda Reserve numbers plummet after those who apply get rejection letters?

Thinking along the same lines also. I am still in shock. Why wait this long to tell us the panel is being scrapped. I am actually furious and will be making a call to one of my local TD. I know it might not be worth much but I can't just do nothing. Even if we were made redo aptitude tests and interviews I would not mind. I just think we should be given some kind of first offer.

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Thinking along the same lines also. I am still in shock. Why wait this long to tell us the panel is being scrapped. I am actually furious and will be making a call to one of my local TD. I know it might not be worth much but I can't just do nothing. Even if we were made redo aptitude tests and interviews I would not mind. I just think we should be given some kind of first offer.

The done the same thing with the DFB panel and nothing was done when that was scrapped, people should move along and look forward to when recruitment starts again, i can now see the inactive reserves been very active again with the news the panel has been scrapped.

It would also make more sense to take people that have been in the reserves and are very active to take them in first, at the end of the day they are the people working now on the ground and not coming fresh into the system, unless the government want to waste more money with training more uniforms they will take the person with no experience in policing, but if they use their heads they will take the people now that have got some police training and committed and given up their time to do it as well for FREE !!

As for people putting their lives on hold for the past five years well i think that was a silly thing to do in the first place.

msg11 wrote: »

What will be interesting to see is if the Garda Reserve numbers plummet after those who apply get rejection letters?

If they are good enough to be walking the streets etc i cant see why they would be rejected unless they are totally useless, is that what you are saying now, if that is the case i am sure they would not have passed in the first place.

As for numbers plummeting i can actually see the opposite effect to happen, it will become a pre requisite to join the full time, hopefully they will do what their Uk counterparts have done and take the full timers from the Reserve pool, there is nothing stopping them from doing that now, remember reserves are already members of AGS people on the street are not.

You hope !! maybe they might go the uk way and take only from their reserve pool.

• Advertisement

id say the Gov are very conscious of that

if they dont hire GRs, they will see the bulk of 1000 Reserves walk out on them

i dont think they would want to lose such experience and they definitely wouldnt like to lose the investment in the reserve

at the moment, i would expect the number of GR applicants to increase tenfold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Tyron Jara

Reserves are good now and being used now as theres no recruitment. Once that starts again well take the back seat once again. Oh and its going to be very interesting to see. I for one wont be doing it if i dont get in the second time i try. Giving myself two chances here:P Though i do feel reserves should be a pre requirement for this reason: Theres nothing worse that someone getting in doing all the training to find out they dont like it!!!! Theyve just wasted a place/

bluetop wrote: »
    The done the same thing with the DFB panel and nothing was done when that was scrapped, people should move along and look forward to when recruitment starts again, i can now see the inactive reserves been very active again with the news the panel has been scrapped.

It would also make more sense to take people that have been in the reserves and are very active to take them in first, at the end of the day they are the people working now on the ground and not coming fresh into the system, unless the government want to waste more money with training more uniforms they will take the person with no experience in policing, but if they use their heads they will take the people now that have got some police training and committed and given up their time to do it as well for FREE !!

As for people putting their lives on hold for the past five years well i think that was a silly thing to do in the first place.

Don't know where to start. None of us on the panel really put our lives "on hold", we carried on with our lives as usual, for some of us nothing much has changed since when we applied and we still want to do this job. I feel the fact that we are still here 5 years on shows that we are as or more committed as anybody in the reserves.

If they are good enough to be walking the streets etc i cant see why they would be rejected unless they are totally useless, is that what you are saying now, if that is the case i am sure they would not have passed in the first place.

As for numbers plummeting i can actually see the opposite effect to happen, it will become a pre requisite to join the full time, hopefully they will do what their Uk counterparts have done and take the full timers from the Reserve pool, there is nothing stopping them from doing that now, remember reserves are already members of AGS people on the street are not.

I agree on both counts.

Reserve numbers are reaching the 10%. I'm sure out of the current numbers maybe about 50% would be fully active.

Reserves could do with a few more practical powers (due a few I know) based on people chatting on here.

As we know wheels turn slow in AGS, back to the waiting game. Remember folks this is chit chat till we see a campaign or a start date for a campaign, all we can do is apply and give our best. For some of us its the first time doing so or second time doing it.

If it's your second time going in (from the panel) and you have joined the reserves I honestly can't see you been refused(that's my option on it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Don't know where to start. None of us on the panel really put our lives "on hold", we carried on with our lives as usual, for some of us nothing much has changed since when we applied and we still want to do this job. I feel the fact that we are still here 5 years on shows that we are as or more committed as anybody in the reserves.

If you had being on the panel, it shows that you were committed five years ago. Join the reserve, then you can talk about being committed.

redsurfer wrote: »
    If you had being on the panel, it shows that you were committed five years ago. Join the reserve, then you can talk about being committed.

Spot on that shows commitment not waiting in the wings.

@YayaBanana I think you should have a read back lots had put their lives on hold maybe not you, but others did, it was never going to happen keeping a panel going for five years, things change from year to year let alone five yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 waiting28

I love how all these reserves are so happy that the panel has been scrapped.They seem to think because they joined a reserve volenteer force that they have some sort of first preference to be full time members .Shatter said he would speak to government regarding starting recruitment again ,as we all know from the last government they went as far as to announce a new recruitment drive and then stopped.Being a reserve will 100% help should you get to the the interview stage ,i will not disagree on that however as it is a public sector job every candidate must go through the same test and achieve the preset pass mark to advance to the next stage of the application process .This will not change so 1 year 2 year or 5 year reserve member if you dont pass the first two open stages you will not progress to an interview stage where your "commitment" will bear fruit.I also think anybody who was on the panel if they get to an interview stage again will get the same credit from the interview board as a reserve would.

waiting28 wrote: »
    I love how all these reserves are so happy that the panel has been scrapped.They seem to think because they joined a reserve volenteer force that they have some sort of first preference to be full time members .Shatter said he would speak to government regarding starting recruitment again ,as we all know from the last government they went as far as to announce a new recruitment drive and then stopped.Being a reserve will 100% help should you get to the the interview stage ,i will not disagree on that however as it is a public sector job every candidate must go through the same test and achieve the preset pass mark to advance to the next stage of the application process .This will not change so 1 year 2 year or 5 year reserve member if you dont pass the first two open stages you will not progress to an interview stage where your "commitment" will bear fruit.I also think anybody who was on the panel if they get to an interview stage again will get the same credit from the interview board as a reserve would.

You forgot one big point reserve members already hold a rank in AGS new contenders dont, also if they follow the uk model the full time force recruited directly from their police specials pool, which makes perfect sense and saves the government money.

waiting28 wrote: »

Speak for yourself there, I am not happy or anything like it.

I have always told people, that if recruitment started again there is a panel in place so they will get first preference on new jobs. So I am as shocked.

Your also correct, everyone will get the same process. As a reserve going into AGS, I don't feel I should be handed a job. Again everyone has different reasons going in. For me I always had an interest in policing, even better if it becomes my full time job but I am not going to expect to be handed one.

But again been real here someone with 5/6 years experience within AGS as a reserve member. If I was an employer I would want someone with experience and confidence to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

You forgot one big point reserve members already hold a rank in AGS new contenders dont, also if they follow the uk model the full time force recruited directly from their police specials pool, which makes perfect sense and saves the government money.

has anything this or the previous government done made sense though?

Advertisement