Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential SHTF scenarios & tinfoil hat thread (Please read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Nuclear Event in Bulgaria on Tuesday, 04 September, 2012
    A device containing a radioactive element has been stolen from a construction site in Bulgaria’s capital Sofia, announced the press center of the Interior Ministry. Sofia District Police Directorate is searching for the perpetrators. The device - a gamma flaw detector - contains a radioactive element with activity of 10 Ci. The signal about the theft was received on Monday. The crime was committed at a construction site at about 3:00 p.m. local time on Monday. The device has an entirely metal cage, its color is silver, has lead protection and an in-built radioactive source, Г-shapes handle and sizes 25/10 cm; it weighs 5 kg. Experts warn that if it is opened, there is a risk of the people around being exposed to radiation.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=NC-20120904-36442-BGR

HAZMAT in Bolivia on Tuesday, 04 September, 2012
    A massive stash of what was believed to be uranium found in Bolivia's capital contains just 68 grams of the radioactive material, Bolivia's Interior Minister said. The quantity is too small to put people's health at risk, Carlos Romero said. "The laboratory report indicates that there is uranium, but in small amounts. An approximate calculation (shows there were) only 34 grams (one ounce) per ton, or 68 grams in the two tons" of material found, he said. An investigation is still ongoing to determine the origin and intended use of the mineral.
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=HZ-20120904-36447-BOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This is pretty interesting.

80453462Riots-global.jpg
    Pretty simple. Black dots are the food prices, red lines are the riots. In other words, whenever the UN’s food price index, which measures the monthly change in the price of a basket of food commodities, climbs above 210, the conditions ripen for social unrest around the world. CSI doesn’t claim that any breach of 210 immediately leads to riots, obviously; just that the probability that riots will erupt grows much greater. For billions of people around the world, food comprises up to 80% of routine expenses (for rich-world people like you and I, it’s like 15%). When prices jump, people can’t afford anything else; or even food itself. And if you can’t eat—or worse, your family can’t eat—you fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

China sends patrol ships to disputed East China Sea islands:
    "Should the Japanese side insist on going its own way, it shall have to bear all serious consequences arising therefrom."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19553736

That China / Japan thing seems to be getting more and more heated.....

China protests: Panasonic suspends some operations:
    Japanese electronics maker Panasonic has suspended some of its operations in China after anti-Japan protesters attacked two of its factories.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19620114

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Khannie wrote: »
    That China / Japan thing seems to be getting more and more heated.....

China protests: Panasonic suspends some operations:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19620114

The designated Japanese Ambassador to China was found dead near his home over the weekend so the conspiracy theory guys will be in overdrive.

The Chinese Communist Party has played the nationalist card the last couple of decades so its bound to get out of control at times when they want it too. To be fair the Japanese weren't particularly nice colonial masters in China. In 1939 the second highest income for the Japanese government was the state ran drugs trade in China.

The designated Japanese Ambassador to China was found dead near his home over the weekend so the conspiracy theory guys will be in overdrive.

The Chinese Communist Party has played the nationalist card the last couple of decades so its bound to get out of control at times when they want it too. To be fair the Japanese weren't particularly nice colonial masters in China. In 1939 the second highest income for the Japanese government was the state ran drugs trade in China.
    I don't know how much of a conspiracy theory is needed, China's really taking the gloves off in the South China sea, they were pushing around the Filipinos earlier this month. Still are, as far as I know.

It looks like the People's Republic is getting ready to start heaving some of its considerable weight around.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It looks like the People's Republic is getting ready to start heaving some of its considerable weight around.

Militarily they're still not a match for the west. Japan would be a bad first target if they did want to engage in expansionism.

Militarily they're still not a match for the west. Japan would be a bad first target if they did want to engage in expansionism.
    Might be brinkmanship though, the US doesn't want an all out war with its major trading partner over a few rocks. My guess is they're going to push it as far as they can to see when the US starts pushing back.

Besides Japan isn't the first target, just one of several places they are making their presence felt. I can see them starting shooting at less important countries to make their point initially. Their maritime claims are outrageous and very much intended specifically to cause trouble. Maybe they've come up with a use for all those unmarriagable young men after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Might be brinkmanship though, the US doesn't want an all out war with its major trading partner over a few rocks. My guess is they're going to push it as far as they can to see when the US starts pushing back.

Besides Japan isn't the first target, just one of several places they are making their presence felt. I can see them starting shooting at less important countries to make their point initially. Their maritime claims are outrageous and very much intended specifically to cause trouble. Maybe they've come up with a use for all those unmarriagable young men after all.

Demographically that is their real problem - single young men. Only can do two things with them, marry them off and civilise them, or send them to war.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

There is a leadership battle going on at the moment. And by all accounts its a very dirty battle between those who want to further embrace change and capitalism and those who want to return to a more traditional communist approach. Both sides want to show they are the best option for a strong respected China and win the support of the powerful military.

With all that going on Japan picked a stupid time to go poking them in the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is Japan poking them?? I thought the Japanese were trying to avoid hassle, which is why Tokyo bought out the private owners... The Chinese responded with jingoism to apeal to their population... And not much changes really... Or maybe something else is going on ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Might be the real story is they are trying to make sure the population doesn't get any ideas during the transition period by making them angry at the Japanese instead of the party.

Seems to be working if that is the case, I was talking to a Chinese lady of my acquaintance yesterday and she was carrying on about how those islands were Chinese back in 211 BC. She did not appreciate me asking why the Chinese had ratified the 1994 200 mile EEZ treaty so, I can tell you. Some people just have no sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Some people just have no sense of humour.
    A fairly common thing in that area, they're probably shocked that people here openly call FG and FF a shower of wasters while there its more do as your told and respect the Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

A chairman of one of the Japanese banks was being interviewed on TV today, at the end of the interview he was asked why he thought China were being so pushy now. He thinks it's because the Japanese government at the moment are very weak but there is going to be an election next year and and the "Nationalist" party will walk into power. They will not give up the islands under any circumstances. The Chinese are trying to force the present government to hand over the islands before the others take over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The search for a missing radioactive rod in Texas enters its second week, despite efforts from energy services giant Halliburton, local law enforcement, and the Texas National Guard to find it. The 7-inch stainless steel cylinder contains radioactive Americium-241/Beryllium and was reported missing on September 11th, after a three-man Halliburton survey crew drove from a site near Pecos to a well south of Odessa. The rod — used to identify deposits of oil and natural gas by being lowered into a well — was discovered missing after the team arrived and found the device's container unlocked. This is the only time such a device has been "lost in the public domain" in the past five years, according to a Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesperson.

The full story is here http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/18/3351490/halliburton-national-guard-lost-radioactive-rod-texas

eth0 wrote: »
    A fairly common thing in that area, they're probably shocked that people here openly call FG and FF a shower of wasters while there its more do as your told and respect the Party.

well, i think mao had anyone that incompetent beheaded. makes you mind your manners, that sort of thing.

New "Sars-like" virus found:
    A new respiratory illness similar to the Sars virus that spread globally in 2002 and killed hundreds of people has been identified in a man who is being treated in Britain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19698335

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

New "Sars-like" virus found

5 people hospitalized with suspected cases in Denmark.
    worrying thing is that only one of the family had been to Saudi Arabia ... shows possible human - human transmission.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jQQZdgrEC1Xm2detaMEDH9WsWtOw?docId=CNG.92f8e882d0cac04a70810207085ab1e2.8d1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Worth knowing that:
    However only surgical masks and N95 masks - designed to block airborne particles - will work. These masks protect the face from droplets coughed out by infected people, which the team believes is the primary mode of spread. Seto says droplets are probably the main mode of transmission of SARS outside hospitals as well. He says the findings confirmed SARS is not spread through the air - if so only the N95 masks would have been protective.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3692-face-masks-are-best-protection-against-sars.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

whooping cough.
    So far this year 10 infants under the age of three months have died as a result of the infectious disease - including nine in England and one in northern Ireland.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/pregnant-women-in-uk-warned-to-get-vaccinated-against-whooping-cough-after-10-baby-deaths-3243382.html

Not a condition solely for the young. A girl in her early 20s I know has just been diagnosed with it (in Dublin) and even managed to break (fracture?) a rib in the process of a coughing bout... :eek:

The next pandemic.why it will come from wildlife.

Some interesting reading here.

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/quammen_the_next_pandemic_will_come_from_wildlife/2579/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

grapeape wrote: »
    Nice, I love the cold. I'd feel better about it if knackers hadn't robbed a quarter ton of coal out of my back garden the last day though. Always cut your bags, belated wisdom.

• Advertisement

Nice, I love the cold. I'd feel better about it if knackers hadn't robbed a quarter ton of coal out of my back garden the last day though. Always cut your bags, belated wisdom.

If that's the sort of thing that happens in a normal law abiding society... Wait till the **** hits the fan and we have no effective government and a state run by gangsters and robbers... Oh too late :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Wouldn't have thought of cutting the bags, thanks for the heads up!

For pity's sake, talk about driving the monkey to the airport:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/12806/20121020/us-meningitis-scare-states-face-huge.htm

Or buy a coal bunker thats holds Approx 400 kg coal (10 x 40kg bags).
    You'd need a fork lift to carry it away.
    When gets 3/4 empty you could top it up again .
    Plus it looks alot tidier.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

grapeape wrote: »
    Start digging the fall out shelters now
    Did you not see that ep of Only Fools And Horses with the shelter?

wolfeye wrote: »
    Been thinking bout this for 20min and Jaysus, it's depressing. I'm unfollowing this Thread. Lifes to short to be having this pop up every few days.

Been thinking bout this for 20min and Jaysus, it's depressing. I'm unfollowing this Thread. Lifes to short to be having this pop up every few days.

Just cos your not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

cesium levels in fish off Fukushima not dropping

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10843126

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Non-categorized event in Austria on Thursday, 01 November, 2012
    http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/?pageid=event_desc&edis_id=UEV-20121101-37071-AUT
    Anti-terror police are investigating whether nine tonnes of rat poison stolen together with an Austrian firm's lorry might be used to make explosives. RDX is not only one of the main explosives in torpedoes, rockets, and bomb warheads and also in use in very specialized detonators, blasting caps, and demolition charges - but is also used as a rat poison. An Austrian firm had been conned into transporting the poison after getting a request from a Ukrainian company that wanted it collected in Italy. But the logistics company from Kufstein, Tirol, lost contact with the load shortly after the rat poison was collected in Italy on 25 October. The company said the intention was for the load to be delivered to France. Shortly after the vehicle was loaded, it was no longer possible to reach the Ukranian company or the lorry driver. It is believed the driver was organised by the Ukrainian company. The company said they negotiated 30,000 transportations per year and had never experienced anything like this. The company has suffered losses amounting to roughly 25,000 euros from the missing a lorry.

No updates since I left! This is a good one.

Could Ebola now be airborne? New research shows lethal virus can be spread from pigs to monkeys without contact

Virus so lethal, it's only weakness is it kills you to fast and doesn't get a chance to spread. lol.

http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/

The UK seems to be getting hit with bad weather all over today and tomorrow
    http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/EU-Europe.html

Another mainstream media report about preppers in America, this time it's about December 21, 2012

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_22063692/los-angeles-survival-groups-brace-dec-21-2012

Risks to Ireland from Incidents at the Sellafield Site
    http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31607,en.pdf

It's a pi$$ poor report that runs to just 13 pages. Why do I find myself sceptical of the "ah sure, it will be grand" line taken in the report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Risks to Ireland from Incidents at the Sellafield Site
    http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31607,en.pdf

It's a pi$$ poor report that runs to just 13 pages. Why do I find myself sceptical of the "ah sure, it will be grand" line taken in the report?

Woohoo! I can finally dump those iodine tablets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

touts wrote: »
    Woohoo! I can finally dump those iodine tablets!

Out of interest. How long does Iodine store for???
    A few years or a few decades.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Out of interest. How long does Iodine store for???
    A few years or a few decades.
    The longest ive seen for sale is 5 years on the best before dates

Ecomnomic collapse is coming here:(

http://budget.gov.ie/budgets/2012/2012.aspx

Strong 7.3-magnitiude earthquake off the coast of Japan.
    No damage has been reported at monitoring posts and water treatment facilities at all reactors at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, according to the Tokyo Electric Power .

http://abcnews.go.com/International/tsunami-warning-lifted-strong-earthquake-strikes-japan/story?id=17901255

Yikes.
    A pair of asteroids passed Earth Tuesday and early Wednesday, according to NASA, avoiding a potentially cataclysmic impact with our home planet.
    The pair of asteroids — one just over three mile wide — provided both amateur and professional astronomers with an amazing sight. The asteroids, known as ‘2012 XE54’ and ‘4179 Toutatis’ respectively, are some of the largest asteroids to pass by without incident.
    2012 XE5, which was discovered just days earlier, passed harmlessly by Earth early late Tuesday and as predicted it was eclipsed by Earth’s shadow, causing its light to appear extinguished for a short time, about 40 minutes. The asteroid passed by Earth, missing our planet by only 139,500 miles or slightly more than half the distance to the moon, according to NASA. The rocky body, estimated at between 50-165 feet across (15-50 meters), allowed astronomers to observe how the rare eclipse appears during flyby.

Asteroid Toutatis is well known to astronomers, according to NASA. It passes by Earth’s orbit every four years and astronomers say its unique orbit means it is unlikely to impact Earth for at least 600 years. Measuring 4.5 km in length, it is one of the largest known potentially hazardous asteroids (PHAs), and its orbit is inclined less than half-a-degree from Earth’s.
    “We already know that Toutatis will not hit Earth for hundreds of years,” says Benner. “These new observations will allow us to predict the asteroid’s trajectory even farther into the future.”
    The massive asteroid likely provides astronomers with key data regarding its unusual orbit, which NASA describes as a “poorly thrown football.” Unlike planets and the vast majority of asteroids, which rotate around a single pole, Toutatis has two spin axes. It twirls around one with a period of 5.4 Earth-days and the other once every 7.3 days.
    While its great that they have confidence in the orbit of the dinosaur-killer, that they missed the other asteroid almost completely doesn't cheer me up. What if an undiscovered smaller asteroid knocks the bigger one on to a collision course? We really do live by the slenderest of threads here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I had to read that again to make sure i read it right! I thought they were watching all the asteroids that were flying around us!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJsUDcSc6hE

Video showing asteroid discoveries since 1980. As the video progresses it gets scarier and scarier.

Advertisement