Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Box of goodies arrived just now..I love getting post (except for bills :p)..

Looks good so far..he threw in a bit of 3mtape and a drumstick as well.:cool:..I fear it is just the beginning :D

193593.JPG

Munching on one of these while we speak!

193591.JPG

Now all I need is the weather onside...watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Yeah, they can be noisy little buggers

Edit: Just to clarify

When switched on they are noisy and when switched off there would be a rattle when you shake it due to the orbital nature of the head.

Thanks mate, yea its a bit rattely when its going...thought there might have been something wrong with it lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I just received my order of G-Techniq Trim Restorer from CleanCar.

Along with the nice touch of a refreshers sweet, there's a handwritten message on the invoice that reads:

"Thanks for the order David. Much appreciated. Cheers, Larry"

It's little things like this that make you feel that it's a personal service!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I just received my order of G-Techniq Trim Restorer from CleanCar.

Along with the nice touch of a refreshers sweet, there's a handwritten message on the invoice that reads:

"Thanks for the order David. Much appreciated. Cheers, LARRY"

It's little things like this that make you feel that it's a personal service!

FYP :D

But yes, It is little thing like that make you feel respected

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Just getting around to posting a pic of my improved Snow Foam effort.

img0714jb.jpg

Stickiness could still be improved slightly, but I'm on the right track methinks. :)

• Advertisement

DOn't dilute it as much and it'll stick better ;)

DOn't dilute it as much and it'll stick better ;)

And use warm water

Did both that time. ;)

Also added a cap full of AG Shampoo to the mix as well as I've heard that helps.

I shall be using a much more Snow Foam based mix next time though, I want it to look like the inside of a Wlanut Whip when I'm done applying it. :pac:

dar83 wrote: »
    Did both that time. ;)

Also added a cap full of AG Shampoo to the mix as well as I've heard that helps.

I shall be using a much more Snow Foam based mix next time though, I want it to look like the inside of a Wlanut Whip when I'm done applying it. :pac:

Ditch the snow foam and start your fappin' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I use an inch of snow foam solution and then a good squirt of Maxi Sud II, warm water and it come out like shaving foam. Can be layered a inch thick.

• Advertisement

I use an inch of snow foam solution and then a good squirt of Maxi Sud II, warm water and it come out like shaving foam. Can be layered a inch thick.

The problem with using too much snow foam solution is that it can actually strip any wax on the car. This is fine if you intend on giving the car a proper wax afterwards. Otherwise, it's adviseable nott o use so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive just found this thread :D.

As of late ive been using autoglym hd cleanser and hd wax, can anyone recommend a good polish?

Also are machine polishers worth it as compared to doing it by hand?

I get the feeling im a bit of a novice after reading some of the thread :o.

As of late ive been using autoglym hd cleanser and hd wax, can anyone recommend a good polish?

AG Super Resin Polish gets rave reviews and its my go to polish. There is a new version out in Halfrauds with a free red microfiber I also use dodojuice lime prime(the one with mild abrasives) from time to time, smells great and is supposed to be ideal under wax. Havent taken the machine polisher jump yet myself so cannot comment. All the same SRP give the corrected look but I find it soon wears out. Nothing like getting it corrected and then maintaining, with sealant and wax.
    The problem with using too much snow foam solution is that it can actually strip any wax on the car. This is fine if you intend on giving the car a proper wax afterwards. Otherwise, it's adviseable nott o use so much.

Depends on the snow foam, needs to be a wax and sealant safe one, even neat maxi suds wont take off the wax. Whenever I want the wax off I snowfoam and 2BM with fairly liquid. Tellin you that strips everything in jig time.

Haven't seen you around motors in a long time, never mind this thread!

Since you're using AG cleanser and wax, AG super resin polish would be your best bet from what I've been learning lately. The ingredients in each product are similar to benefit each other to a certain extent. It will mask swirl marks as it fills them in but it doesn't last long and needs to be done every so often.

Machine polishers (D/A) are what you should be using. You can't move your hand fast enough in order to break down the compund in the polish for it to do its job.

That's only if you're trying to remove swirls. Otherwise, you will only be deepening the paint lustre with the polish. In that case, doing it by hand will work.

The only thing I would use a D/A for (if I had a proper one) would be for paint correction or generally removing swirls, using paint cleaner and doing paint restoration. You do not need to use a D/A when applying wax although it's helpful by way of taking a lot of the work out of the job.

Personally, I use Meguiars products mainly. Apart from that I use AG leather cleaner, leather balm, glass polish and Turtle Wax Wax It Wet. I find Meguiars is excellent compared to AG for the most part.

Depends on the snow foam, needs to be a wax and sealant safe one, even neat maxi suds wont take off the wax. Whenever I want the wax off I snowfoam and 2BM with fairly liquid. Tellin you that strips everything in jig time.

I see your point but it actually depends on the concentration of the snow foam. If you dilute it correctly, it won't strip wax. If you don't, It more than likely will.

The same applies for car shampoo. Too much concentrate in the mix and it'll strip anything just like Fairy liquid.

Also with wheel cleaner e.g. Meguiar's Wheel Brightener. If you don't dilute it properly it will be very acidic and will eat away at the paint on your alloys along with eating away at calipers and causing them to rust. This is the exact reason I stopped using Turlte Wax wheel clean and I'm now using Megs WB in proper ratio of 4:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Haven't seen you around motors in a long time, never mind this thread!

Since you're using AG cleanser and wax, AG super resin polish would be your best bet from what I've been learning lately. The ingredients in each product are similar to benefit each other to a certain extent. It will mask swirl marks as it fills them in but it doesn't last long and needs to be done every so often.

Machine polishers (D/A) are what you should be using. You can't move your hand fast enough in order to break down the compund in the polish for it to do its job.

That's only if you're trying to remove swirls. Otherwise, you will only be deepening the paint lustre with the polish. In that case, doing it by hand will work.

The only thing I would use a D/A for (if I had a proper one) would be for paint correction or generally removing swirls, using paint cleaner and doing paint restoration. You do not need to use a D/A when applying wax although it's helpful by way of taking a lot of the work out of the job.

Personally, I use Meguiars products mainly. Apart from that I use AG leather cleaner, leather balm, glass polish and Turtle Wax Wax It Wet. I find Meguiars is excellent compared to AG for the most part.

I know ill have to start getting back into the swing of the motors forum again :o.

Cheers for all the replys have been helpful, luckily I have no swirl marks on my own car she gets a fair bit of tlc really, the fathers car on the other hand is another story Ive told him one the days in the next few weeks ill give his car a complete work over kinda regretting it now the thing is covered in swirl marks :(.

I have heard Meguiars is quality alright but since I ave near full tub of Autolym hd wax ill be sticking with that for a while.

I also use Autoglym instant tyre dressing, Wonder Wheels alloy cleaner, Turtle Wax Upholstery and carpet cleaner,autoglym leather cleaner and ArmorAll protectant gloss finish for the trim if anyone has any recommendations for products better than these fire away? Im due a it of shopping a lotof them are running low.

Autoglym instant tyre dressing Turtle Wax Back to Black/Black in a Flash

Wonder Wheels alloy cleaner Meguiar's Wheel Brightener

Turtle Wax Upholstery and carpet cleaner Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner

autoglym leather cleaner This is good stuff

autoglym leather cleaner This is good stuff

And was on special offer in Halfords last weekend anyway, €6.50 for the 750ml bottle of it.

dar83 wrote: »
    And was on special offer in Halfords last weekend anyway, €6.50 for the 750ml bottle of it.

Special offer?! I get the 750ml bottle in my local motor factors for €6.50 normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Special offer?! I get the 750ml bottle in my local motor factors for €6.50 normally.

Bought some of that gliptone in the past few weeks,gets great reviews.

• Advertisement

Bought some of that gliptone in the past few weeks,gets great reviews.

That Gliptone is said to be the best you can get for leather. Haven't used it myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

That Gliptone is said to be the best you can get for leather. Haven't used it myself yet.

Yeah, I've been using the autoglym stuff myself but I thought I'd give it a go.

Junk or good bang for the buck?
    http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_20677.htm

Product_detail_Wk9T13.jpg

Carnauba Wash & Wax
    each €4.49 (3 litres,€1.50 per litre)

Tried and tested natural wax formula that puts a deep, lasting shine on paintwork giving it a showroom gloss. Contains carnauba wax from the carnauba palm tree.

For 3L at that price, is must have a trace of Carnauba wax in it. Possibly poured into the jug in a Carnauba wax covered funnel? :P

Edit: Not to be completely negative, for that price it might be worth a punt. You're not really losing much. :)

Cheap wheel wash :D

^ LOLZ I was thinking so..read on detailing world it ain't the worst if your into wash & wax products...not for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'm not really one for waxing and polishing but I have a bottle of Chemical Guys Black Light here, whats the verdict? Might do a small bit of the car now

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I'm not really one for waxing and polishing but I have a bottle of Chemical Guys Black Light here, whats the verdict? Might do a small bit of the car now

Good stuff when applied as per instructions.
    But you would want to make sure your paint is prepped first.

Gary, the finish is in the prep not the product. In detailing they call all these Last step protection. It the last layer put on. The durability and result is more to do with how clean the paint is beforehand and how many scratches are in the clear coat and paint. Most of the nonsense of detailing is getting the car clean, swirly free and protected then keeping that way by washing it properly. Its very addictive, and makes your car look better than brand new.

Review of backlight here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=230911
    CG Blacklight seem to get good reviews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

vectra wrote: »
    Good stuff when applied as per instructions.
    But you would want to make sure your paint is prepped first.
    Gary, the finish is in the prep not the product. In detailing they call all these Last step protection. It the last layer put on. The durability and result is more to do with how clean the paint is beforehand and how many scratches are in the clear coat and paint. Most of the nonsense of detailing is getting the car clean, swirly free and protected then keeping that way by washing it properly. Its very addictive, and makes your car look better than brand new.

Review of backlight here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=230911
    CG Blacklight seem to get good reviews

The paintwork was spotless beforehand, completely de-tarred and smooth. I had been hand washing and sealing with chemical guys hybrid. That's usually as far as I bother going. I just did the roof there with the black light and it looks brilliant. I've lost light now so I'll leave it be for now but I'll come back to it tomorrow and hopefully it'll still be shining when I'm tearing round Mondello on Tuesday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement