Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone got any reccomendations for a half decent wet & dry vac thats not mega bucks? For the odd use I'd get out of it I dont want to be spending loads. I know hiring is a cheap option but I'd prefare my own one.

Lidl have a handy one for €59.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

vectra wrote: »

That's the one I have.. works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Anyone got any reccomendations for a half decent wet & dry vac thats not mega bucks? For the odd use I'd get out of it I dont want to be spending loads. I know hiring is a cheap option but I'd prefare my own one.

I got a kestrel da last year and only used it once on my civic. It came with a pack of sonus polish & pad's but after doing my civic with it I still had some swirls. I'll have to check the numbers on the polish I may just have used something with not enough cut but that paint is that thin on the car I thought I would have gotten away with it.

Sonus FX1 would shift most heavy swirls and even make scratches more or less invisible.

Stewie on DW did this before using his Rotary: - "Also any other deep defects Ie. the bush scratches were also much lessened if not totally removed using Megs unigrit 2500 and/or 3000 grit paper." He adds, "(which had been soaking in a bucket of water for a couple of days to soften)"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This might sound like a stupid idea so shoot me down if it is but...

Would anyone that knows what they're doing be interested in running some kind of workshop (introduction to detailing style) for those people (including myself) who have minimal knowledge on products, machine polishers, etc and don't really fancy "learning" by destroying their cars paintwork with a trial and error method? Or even organize one by cleancar.ie or something?

With stuff like wet sanding, I'm sure it's fairly easy to make a balls of things quite easily if you don't know what you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭mountain

E39MSport wrote: »
    What are cleancar.ie like for delivery?

I purchased from them recently after phoning and getting great advice,
    next day delivery, ( they put some sweets in the box as well!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Would anyone that knows what they're doing be interested in running some kind of workshop (introduction to detailing style) for those people (including myself) who have minimal knowledge on products, machine polishers, etc and don't really fancy "learning" by destroying their cars paintwork with a trial and error method? Or even organize one by cleancar.ie or something?

With stuff like wet sanding, I'm sure it's fairly easy to make a balls of things quite easily if you don't know what you're at.

Is there any owner of one of these companies on boards? I know Andy from detailer.ie used do this.

I want to chance some wet sanding on the '01 Toledo next week weather permitting.. I asked a Panel beater/spray painter Lazi git about wet sanding and all I could get out of him was "Too old..Too Old"
    What was too old?? The paint??
    The car value too low to justify it?
    or himself not able to do it LOL

If this doesn't come to fruitition, a good way to skill up is to get some cheap bonnets/panels from a scrapper/breaker and practice that way.

Well what I was thinking was, it'd also be good for anyone considering buying a machine polisher to get an idea if it's worth their while spending the money or not, and knowing how to use it is also a bonus...

Can you rent them anywhere? hmmm, I smell an opportunity :D

• Advertisement

Take a look at the detailing forum on bmw-driver, there's Spirit detailing, cleancar and bill&ben Ltd guys all fairly active...

stuff arrived :)

stuffs.jpg

I'm moist ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Tiny wee C1 bottle and it probably the dearest bit there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Can that be used for shampooing seats and carpet? Are they numatic?

Can that be used for shampooing seats and carpet? Are they numatic?

Well. It sucks out the water after you wash them by hand.

Great idea for a thread BUT:

Would it not be a better idea to have a detailing/valeting subforum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have recently stocked up on a decent amount of quality & main stream products, all the items below are on my shelf ready for use:

DAS6 dual action polisher

Waxes/Polish:
    - Meguairs #80
    - Meguairs #83
    - Dodo Juice Lime Prime
    - Zymol cleaner wax
    - Dodo Juice Purple Haze
    - Dodo Juice Hard Candy

Speed waxes/Top up:
    - Car Pro Reload (not tried it yet)
    - Dodo Juice Red Mist
    - AG Wash & Wax
    (For when I'm in a rush)

Car shampoo:
    Dodo Juice Born to be mild
    Zymol (like this stuff)
    SoapX (not tried yet but will open it soon)

Wheel care:
    - Poor Boys Wheel Sealant
    - AG Alloy Wheel Sealant (for when in a rush)
    - Meguairs Endurance tyre gel
    - IronX (amazing stuff)
    - AG Clean Wheels (for the bi-annual wheel removal & intensive clean)

Plastic window/headlight care:
    - Hingsight 1&2
    - BMW Cabrio window polish
    - Meguairs PlastX
    (All have their pluses)

Leather Care:
    - Zymol Leather cleaner
    - Doctor Leather
    - Gliptone Liquid Leather (regular & waterproof for the vert)
    Dr Leather is the best I think

Tar Remover:
    - TarX
    - AG Intensive Tar Remover

Glass:
    - Special scratch remover kit
    - AG glass polish
    - AG glass cleaner
    (I think that I could do better than what I have at the minute for glass)

Autosol for shining up the exhaust pipe/tips

I've a load of other AG products too, Interior Shampoo, Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner, Tyre Dressing (for black trim), Extra Gloss Protection, Paint Renovator, Instant Show Shine, Cabrio Hood Cleaner, Hood Protector, Leather Cleaner, Clay bar & Rapid Detailer
    I'm sure I've forgotten a few items...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

What are cleancar.ie like for delivery?
    Cleancar.ie are great i order all my stuff from them, they are always there to give advice on products and application, plus when looking for new products they dont seem to do the whole salesman thing and go straight for the most expensive product, their cherry wheel cleaner is by far my favourite product its the only thing i will use to clean my Volks, as for shipping its always been quick.

Give Larry (cleancar.ie) a shout Callum last year they ran a free products day with Spirit Detailing you got to see all the products in action and they even gave you a bonnet to "de-swirl" after a bit of an introduction, they said they would be doing another one soon but id say it would be in the new year tbh, if i hear any news ill send you a pm ;)

projectgtr wrote: »
    Cleancar.ie are great i order all my stuff from them, they are always there to give advice on products and application, plus when looking for new products they dont seem to do the whole salesman thing and go straight for the most expensive product, their cherry wheel cleaner is by far my favourite product its the only thing i will use to clean my Volks, as for shipping its always been quick.

Give Larry (cleancar.ie) a shout Callum last year they ran a free products day with Spirit Detailing you got to see all the products in action and they even gave you a bonnet to "de-swirl" after a bit of an introduction, they said they would be doing another one soon but id say it would be in the new year tbh, if i hear any news ill send you a pm ;)

PM Here as well here please

Bang on !! What do we need to do ? (I know its in the faqs somewhere - will check later)

Off topic -
    I'd also like to see a 'Driving' sub forum, sick of all the driving related rants in here (although I am possibly responsible for one or two :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Should be getting my nice box of Cleaning toys today. Just in time for the weekend! :D

Now, if only it doesn't rain and I'm not too hungover tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Yeah good idea. Would be good to have a subform for it.

Bang on !! What do we need to do ? (I know its in the faqs somewhere - will check later)

Off topic -
    I'd also like to see a 'Driving' sub forum, sick of all the driving related rants in here (although I am possibly responsible for one or two :) )

We need to get in contact with a mod. They will then post a thread to guage the interest in it and work from there. Quite like what happened with the DIY/Maintenance sub-forum.

I'll contact EPM.

:pac:
    We need to get in contact with a mod.

I'll contact EPM.

LOL
    Mod's are like Cops.. always around when you don't need them and everywhere when you are trying to avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

:pac:

LOL
    Mod's are like Cops.. always around when you don't need them and everywhere when you are trying to avoid them

Always watching though :p

We need to get in contact with a mod. They will then post a thread to guage the interest in it and work from there. Quite like what happened with the DIY/Maintenance sub-forum.

I'll contact EPM.

Jaysus - we're doomed before it's off the ground. He's well grumpy :D

dar83 wrote: »
    Should be getting my nice box of Cleaning toys today. Just in time for the weekend! :D

Now, if only it doesn't rain and I'm not too hungover tomorrow...

I'm busy over the weekend :mad: It's all there, looking at me, begging me ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ok, I need to clay the car this weekend. Do I need to do anything special before it? I'll be finishing off with a temporary coat of wax.

I'd remove the tar (if any) from about half way down the doors with AG Intensive Tar Remover or similar. Perhaps over the arches too or whever it gathers on your car.

Obviously wash it and dry it. :)

• Advertisement

as above but no temp wax,,, Use a polish..
    If you had something like Chemical Guys P40 polish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement