Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having ibs is ruining my life :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Ibs is no joke that's for sure. Today I'm exhausted and the familiar aches and pains I get with ibs are well and truly back with a bang. I wouldn't wish ibs on anyone now. I feel like going to bed for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Has anyone tried cutting out carbohydrates apart from the likes of onions, mushrooms, broccoli etc

This is exactly what is recommended to avoid on the low fodmap diet, but it works for you. That's good, stick with it.

Does anyone have much experience of the low fodmap diet? I think one poster earlier mentioned it. I tried it for a month more or less and didn't feel any better, in fact got sick after being on it for a few weeks.

Hi Dan. The thing with ibs is there's no 2 cases the same and what works for 1 sufferer may not work for another. Ibs is fairly hit and miss with treatment of it. Normally I'm constipated but this flare up has me nearly the exact opposite. How do you feel with it?

Yeah it's true alright, one man's meat is another man's poison.

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment. I went 5 years without so much as a single stomach cramp, halved my medication upon the doctor's advice to break my dependence on it with a view to eventually coming off medication altogether, unfortunately that didn't work and got sick afterwards. I had an ileostomy at the end of 2008 and was great up until late 2010. Since then I haven't been acutely sick, but just getting a little bit sick here and there, very disheartening and frustrating.

I never really seemed to have any trigger foods, but tried the low fodmap diet and didn't make any difference to me. I'm not living in Ireland anymore so can't see my regular doctor, going to make an appointment with a doctor here tomorrow, hopefully they can help me.

Are you in the middle of a flare up, KKitty?

I am indeed Dan. It's not long since I've had an ectopic pregnancy happen to me. I've been stressed out over it and haven't been eating properly. I ate properly when I was on medication but as soon as I was finished them I was comfort eating a good bit. I'm paying the price now for that. Have you had any stress lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm finally on the mend thank god.
    Yesterday was the first pain free day that I had.
    I was at a gig last night so had a few drinks, went with a few large bottles of Bulmers and am feeling great today.
    Still have a feeling in my stomach but that is always there lately.
    Feels like I have a cannonball in my stomach or a lead weight.
    Hoping I don't get another attack for the next week as I am on holidays, don't want to ruin the week for the kids by being stuck in bed.
    Hope your'e feeling better today KKkitty.
    Sorry to hear about the relapse Dan, seems that I will never shift this even if i get years of pain free....

Sham that's great :) Long may it last. I'm doing kinda good today thank you. When I started this thread I never thought so many would be in the same boat as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I was diagnosed with IBS before getting a diagnosis of M.E.* I got some issues of the IBS Network (UK) magazine in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Unfortunately I have way too much health-related material so need to get rid of some of it. I have got rid of a lot of the M.E. stuff to people with ME but they haven't been interested in the IBS Network (UK) magazines so I thought I would offer them here. Some of the articles in the magazine are of course a bit out of date but others are more timeless.

I'm guessing people mightn't feel comfortable sending me their address directly so if they send it to the Irish ME/CFS Association (info@irishmecfs.org), they can pass it on to me. Let me know if you want all 16 issues I have, or a smaller amount.

* I see my IBS-type symptoms as being part of the M.E. complex in my case

--
    ETA:

Each issue had a feature issue. Here are the feature issues for the back issues I’m giving away (just found a list I had on the computer):

GR 23 ME and IBS
    GR 31 Counselling and self-help
    GR 32 Nutritonal Therapy
    GR 34 The Mind-gut connection
    GR 35 Let Yoga help your IBS
    GR36 Food Intolerance
    GR 37 Even athletes can get IBS
    GR 38 The Migraine Connection
    GR 39 Alternative Healing
    GR40 Detoxification
    GR41 The Mind/body conundrum
    GR 42 Travelling without fear
    GR 43 The food/mood debate
    GR 46 Children and IBS
    GR 47 (Not sure what feature) Oct 2002
    GR 48 (Not sure what feature) Jan 2003
    GR 49 (Not sure what feature) April 2003
    GR 50 (Not sure what feature) July 2003

well, another update from me.
    I got another referral letter from my doc and booked a private ultrasound for tomorrow morning in the charlemont clinic.
    Hopefully something will show up.
    Havent been feeling too bad past few days but last week was bad.
    Horrible feeling in my stomach, right side (like a ball moving around)
    also had to get antibiotics for swelling in a most awkward place ;)
    All seems fine now.
    Anyway heres hoping something shows up in the scan tomorrow.

Hope you get some answers sham :) I've been up and down lately. I've been trying the fybogel mevebrine sachets and they help a bit but I still feel like there's trapped wind somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dayle67

Hi i have had IBS symptoms for a fair number of years now including cramps (especially after eating including breakfast, so now I don't eat until about 11ish) and sloppy no2's, with a real urgency to go, which with the nature of my work puts me in some stressful and unwanted situations.
    A few times after going to the toilet the cramps get really bad and I hyperventilate, so I get covered in sweat, my breathing goes shallow, fuzzy vision and dizziness. This happened yesterday and as left me feeling really rough since then.
    I work on mobile phone transmitter sites which is ok when I'm in the middle of nowhere with forests and the like around me, i can run off into the wood toilet roll in hand which is obviously not ideal and stressful, but if I'm on a building in the middle of a big town it soon becomes a total nightmare. the stress levels accompany this are obviously something I don't need given my condition.
    last September I started to get some really bad pain coming from my abdomen and foolishly ignored it until my temperature got really high and I rushed home from London back to Yorkshire and then into hospital with appendicitis, my appendix was on the verge of rupture with an abscess and puss in it. key hole surgery was used to remove offending item then I was sent home after 5 days and recovery went well for a couple of weeks until i was back in after 2 weeks and diagnosed with C-DIFF, which i was treated for with anti-biotics then later put on TPN because i couldn't eat (lost 2 and half stone and i only normally weight around 12). the C-DIFF cleared up and i was sent home to recover over Christmas which I did. I went back to work in the middle of January then in the middle of February I started to get pains again, back into hospital I went and had a laparotomy to remove an abscess in my pelvis, basically I was cut the length of belly, all my intestine and bowel taken out for investigation.
    so I've recovered from it fine after a couple of months. I've returned to work and doing more exercise than I did with quite an active job as well. But I am still left with the IBS which is impossibly difficult to deal with given the lifestyle I have with work, which is basically living on the road. Its impossible to cook for myself and stick to diets and the like. so when I have an attack I'm usually left feeling run down, irritated, in pain and miles from home.
    I don't want to sound miserable and gloomy,after reading this thread there are other people who have had it worse than me but I've been wanting to connect with other sufferers for a while now and its is good to hear how other people cope to try and get ideas that could fit into how my life works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

dayle67 wrote: »
    Hi i have had IBS symptoms for a fair number of years now including cramps (especially after eating including breakfast, so now I don't eat until about 11ish) and sloppy no2's, with a real urgency to go, which with the nature of my work puts me in some stressful and unwanted situations.
    A few times after going to the toilet the cramps get really bad and I hyperventilate, so I get covered in sweat, my breathing goes shallow, fuzzy vision and dizziness. This happened yesterday and as left me feeling really rough since then.
    I work on mobile phone transmitter sites which is ok when I'm in the middle of nowhere with forests and the like around me, i can run off into the wood toilet roll in hand which is obviously not ideal and stressful, but if I'm on a building in the middle of a big town it soon becomes a total nightmare. the stress levels accompany this are obviously something I don't need given my condition.
    last September I started to get some really bad pain coming from my abdomen and foolishly ignored it until my temperature got really high and I rushed home from London back to Yorkshire and then into hospital with appendicitis, my appendix was on the verge of rupture with an abscess and puss in it. key hole surgery was used to remove offending item then I was sent home after 5 days and recovery went well for a couple of weeks until i was back in after 2 weeks and diagnosed with C-DIFF, which i was treated for with anti-biotics then later put on TPN because i couldn't eat (lost 2 and half stone and i only normally weight around 12). the C-DIFF cleared up and i was sent home to recover over Christmas which I did. I went back to work in the middle of January then in the middle of February I started to get pains again, back into hospital I went and had a laparotomy to remove an abscess in my pelvis, basically I was cut the length of belly, all my intestine and bowel taken out for investigation.
    so I've recovered from it fine after a couple of months. I've returned to work and doing more exercise than I did with quite an active job as well. But I am still left with the IBS which is impossibly difficult to deal with given the lifestyle I have with work, which is basically living on the road. Its impossible to cook for myself and stick to diets and the like. so when I have an attack I'm usually left feeling run down, irritated, in pain and miles from home.
    I don't want to sound miserable and gloomy,after reading this thread there are other people who have had it worse than me but I've been wanting to connect with other sufferers for a while now and its is good to hear how other people cope to try and get ideas that could fit into how my life works.

my heart goes out to you, I have had what was ultimately diagnosed as IBS for years, which in effect means, they couldnt find anything else so its only IBS left. Personally I dislike situations where im cooped up with other people as they dont understand if you need to rush off to go toilet and then possibly rush off again soon after, not to mention the pain. When I got it first I ised to be knotted up in pain with spasms and bloating
    I get bouts of bad, but sometimes things can be ok,
    I'd try a diet (obviously consult a doctor/dietician approved or working with a hospital) that cuts out a lot of foods, for me it was as much as possible cutting out foods with sugars/salts, basically cut out as much as possible that is processed, which isnt easy, the less processing the better as far as i could tell.
    You can then re introduce individual foods one by one to see what causes problems.
    Eat as plainly as possible, this can mean eating quite healthy, although I felt apples didnt do me good or food with lots of fibre (among lots of stuff).

I am not a dietician or a professionally medically trained, please seek advice what you require or according to your conditions ( having said that, IBS can be very difficult re medical proffesionals as they dont as yet really know what causes it).

If you have to eat on the move, try eat a good breakfast (no fry ups) even just cereal and a banana, (again what suits you), for main meals i eat meat without gravy or sauces and eat fresh boiled carrots or from frozen peas and potatoes.
    Also, no beer/alcohol :( water or diluted orange, I've virtually gone off beer now though.
    It was trial and error for me.

Dayle your story is incredible. I really feel for you. I don't know what to say really. I just wish more research was done for ibs. This diagnosis of exclusion as regards ibs seems lackadaisical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marann

KKkitty wrote: »
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question here. Ibs is zapping the energy out of me and I hate not being able to eat foods that I loved before. I'm predominantly ibs-d too. Has anyone been able to keep their ibs under control without medication. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi kitty. You have my sympathy. I had IBS all my working life. I am now in my late fifties, retired due to a more serious illness, and do not seem to have it any more.I always hated when people suggested that it was stress related as the symptoms are very real. Also it causes the stress so it is a vicious circle. With hindsight I now think it was due to work related stress, and the menstrual cycle (pmt I suppose,) neither of which can be got rid of, except by drastic measures! However I always found that lots of exercise and sleep did help to prevent it, but not possible when you are already in the middle of a bad bout.It always starts when you are busiest. Try to plan ahead and store up some extra sleep before a stressful event. I cannot say any particular diet or medication made much difference and I tried a few. Colpermin is good but you have to take it before you need it.Be nice to yourself. Marann

marann wrote: »
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question here. Ibs is zapping the energy out of me and I hate not being able to eat foods that I loved before. I'm predominantly ibs-d too. Has anyone been able to keep their ibs under control without medication. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi kitty. You have my sympathy. I had IBS all my working life. I am now in my late fifties, retired due to a more serious illness, and do not seem to have it any more.I always hated when people suggested that it was stress related as the symptoms are very real. Also it causes the stress so it is a vicious circle. With hindsight I now think it was due to work related stress, and the menstrual cycle (pmt I suppose,) neither of which can be got rid of, except by drastic measures! However I always found that lots of exercise and sleep did help to prevent it, but not possible when you are already in the middle of a bad bout.It always starts when you are busiest. Try to plan ahead and store up some extra sleep before a stressful event. I cannot say any particular diet or medication made much difference and I tried a few. Colpermin is good but you have to take it before you need it.Be nice to yourself. Marann
    Marann thanks for your reply. For me I get stressed if I'm somewhere where access to a toilet is an issue. I do let stuff get to me too much and eat the wrong things sometimes. I wish ibs didn't exist but it does. Like you it does get worse during the time of the month and prescription medicine isn't great for me and over the counter stuff is expensive. I wish there was a cure for all of us.

Thanks for the reply kkkitty hope your'e feeling good today.

I got the results back from my ultrasound just now and all is clear.
    I got an appointment for a scope on the 30th July so hopefully that will show up something.
    It is pointing to IBS at this stage.
    I thought yesterday it might be kidney stones or gallstones or something but its not.
    Anyway hope all is well with everyone else who has posted on here.
    Just wish I knew what I had as even though the feeling in my stomach is only mildly uncomfortable it really affects my day to day stuff.
    Have a good weekend all.

sham69 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply kkkitty hope your'e feeling good today.

I got the results back from my ultrasound just now and all is clear.
    I got an appointment for a scope on the 30th July so hopefully that will show up something.
    It is pointing to IBS at this stage.
    I thought yesterday it might be kidney stones or gallstones or something but its not.
    Anyway hope all is well with everyone else who has posted on here.
    Just wish I knew what I had as even though the feeling in my stomach is only mildly uncomfortable it really affects my day to day stuff.
    Have a good weekend all.
    I'm doing good now thanks sham :) so happy the ultrasound showed up nothing bad but I guess it may be slightly frustrating for you since it's yet another test that showed nothing of significance. At the moment the weather is getting me down. If it would just brighten up a bit it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 marann

Marann thanks for your reply. For me I get stressed if I'm somewhere where access to a toilet is an issue. I do let stuff get to me too much and eat the wrong things sometimes. I wish ibs didn't exist but it does. Like you it does get worse during the time of the month and prescription medicine isn't great for me and over the counter stuff is expensive. I wish there was a cure for all of us.
    Hi Kitty, Speaking of over the counter medications I remembered being on an antihistamine for a skin reaction to a cleaning product and while I was taking it I had no ibs symptoms. Coincidence? I don't know, it wouldn't be a long term solution anyway.It wasn,t a prescription, something like zirtec,but all those meds can cause drowsiness, especially when you are already exhausted so need to be handled with care. I can identify with the whole stress about toilet access its a real pain. I found yoga good at times for physical symptoms, as well as for managing the anxiety, but again if you have the time and energy to go to yoga you probably don't need it Marann

marann wrote: »
    Hi Kitty, Speaking of over the counter medications I remembered being on an antihistamine for a skin reaction to a cleaning product and while I was taking it I had no ibs symptoms. Coincidence? I don't know, it wouldn't be a long term solution anyway.It wasn,t a prescription, something like zirtec,but all those meds can cause drowsiness, especially when you are already exhausted so need to be handled with care. I can identify with the whole stress about toilet access its a real pain. I found yoga good at times for physical symptoms, as well as for managing the anxiety, but again if you have the time and energy to go to yoga you probably don't need it Marann
    That's very strange you did have any ibs symptoms while on the anti-histamine. I feel relatively new to ibs still. I still don't know what works for me and what doesn't. I would try exercise but I'd fear if I needed to use a toilet would there be one near.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

I would try exercise but I'd fear if I needed to use a toilet would there be one near.

I have IBS and find this one of my biggest problems. I'm just not comfortable going for a long hike, cycle etc most of the time in case I need the loo. When I first got back into exercise after IBS became a problem for me I joined a gym. I just used the machines and didn't go to any classes. At least if I suddenly needed the loo I could just go straight there and nobody would even notice. As it turned out, it was rarely an issue anyway but when it was then at least I could duck out quickly and subtley. The problem I had with exercise at this stage was that my symptoms were quite severe and I was knackered, I think I burned myself out even further in an attempt to help myself feel better. The three best things I have done for my IBS are 1. see a dietician, 2. go to weekly counselling, and 3. weekly hatha yoga classes which I love. I did these in this order and would definitely recommend a good dietician as a first port of call, things changed pretty drastically for me only a week or so after the initial consultation. I still suffer at times (a few days per month on average) but the improvement has been very significant. Wishing a happy healthy digestive system to us all :-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response realgirl. I can't afford a gym at the moment but I guess I could start a short walk here and there. How long is it since you were diagnosed?

realgirl wrote: »
    I have IBS and find this one of my biggest problems. I'm just not comfortable going for a long hike, cycle etc most of the time in case I need the loo. When I first got back into exercise after IBS became a problem for me I joined a gym. I just used the machines and didn't go to any classes. At least if I suddenly needed the loo I could just go straight there and nobody would even notice. As it turned out, it was rarely an issue anyway but when it was then at least I could duck out quickly and subtley. The problem I had with exercise at this stage was that my symptoms were quite severe and I was knackered, I think I burned myself out even further in an attempt to help myself feel better. The three best things I have done for my IBS are 1. see a dietician, 2. go to weekly counselling, and 3. weekly hatha yoga classes which I love. I did these in this order and would definitely recommend a good dietician as a first port of call, things changed pretty drastically for me only a week or so after the initial consultation. I still suffer at times (a few days per month on average) but the improvement has been very significant. Wishing a happy healthy digestive system to us all :-)

Good to hear you're on the mend!
    Can I ask you what the dietician did for you? I've never seemed to have any trigger foods with my Crohn's. I went 5 years in complete remission eating absolutely everything and anything, including a lot of indulgence :)

But over the last while I've been trying to see if any foods make me worse. I stuck to the low fodmap diet rigidly for about a month and had no improvement at all. So I'm wondering, is there anything a dietician could realistically do for me? I'm not going to hand over 50 euro to be told to eat fruit and vegetables.

I started having symptoms of IBS about 8 years ago. It coincided with problems in my relationship,buying a house etc so I know stress is a big factor for me. I found the tablets from the doctor didn't help much and anyway I wanted to prevent the symptoms if I could, not just take a tablet whenever symptoms arose, especially as I could have 'episodes' on an almost daily basis for weeks sometimes. I lost a lot of weight and felt awful. I never felt my Dr was much help, their answer is always medicine so I tried to do what I could for myself. I went on a so called healthy diet of mostly only fruit, veg, nuts, seeds, Brown rice, fish, chicken. I went for massages for relaxation. I went to a homeopath. I gave up sugar. I went to the gym twice a week. I walked a lot. I reduced my hours in work. I stopped going out when my symptoms were bad so I wasn't putting myself under so much pressure to feel and look 'ok'. And after all that, I still felt pretty bad and I was totally exhausted. By the time I went to the dietician two years ago, my symptoms weren't as regular and awful as they had once been, I was a healthier weight and not quite so tired but I would still get quite severe IBS symptoms and just felt it was still affecting my life far too much. I kept a food and symptoms diary for four weeks before the appointment so she could help me work out what my triggers were. She also had a list of the most common triggers so I basically just avoided all of those for a while. I think my symptoms improved drastically after only 1-2 weeks. It wasn't as simple as just don't eat wheat or dairy. After more than five years trying to fix things myself, that was the first time I felt there had been a real breakthrough. Things aren't perfect for me now but they are a huge amount better than they were and I'm not as strict as I could be so I'm sure I could improve more by being more disciplined. For me, in two appointments, the dietician provided the knowledge, expertise and experience that I needed but hadn't found anywhere else up to that point. I don't know if it would work for everyone as well as it did for me but I'd say if you've tried lots of other things and feel like you're floundering its probably worth a shot. Sorry for such a long post, hope its helpful :-)

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Good to hear you're on the mend!
    Can I ask you what the dietician did for you? I've never seemed to have any trigger foods with my Crohn's. I went 5 years in complete remission eating absolutely everything and anything, including a lot of indulgence :)

But over the last while I've been trying to see if any foods make me worse. I stuck to the low fodmap diet rigidly for about a month and had no improvement at all. So I'm wondering, is there anything a dietician could realistically do for me? I'm not going to hand over 50 euro to be told to eat fruit and vegetables.

I wish I could promise that a dietician would sort everything out for you but obviously I can't! I think what made the dietician worth it for me was the specific and up to date information she had, how it could be tailored for me relating to my symptoms, her ability to interpret my diet in relation to my symptoms etc. I guess the reality is that she is an expert at all that and I'm not so she can do it much better than me. In a way its similar to how you can read up about the law but you're unlikely to ever know all the ins and outs a solicitor would know. I would suggest going to a dietician who specialises in Crohns as its obviously very important you get the right info. I have sent you a pm with the website of the lady I went to fyi. I doubt you would go to someone and all they do is tell you to eat fruit and veggies, they have studied this and worked at it for years, they know more than that. If you want any more info on my experience let me know. All the best with it.

I'm with you on the doctors realgirl. Mine also just throws out tablets which rarely help. Doctors don't understand how ibs can impact on your life personally. I will have to go shopping for my sons school books for September soon and I really hope I don't get an attack when I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

I could reply to every poster.
    1. Change of diet.
    I just about tried & read everything, should almost have a Phd on this. Everything you read seems to contradict what you read elsewhere, and advice from non-suffer'ers is of little to no help.

That Low foodmap site has the same info found all over the web, but doesn't explain why? or more importantly what you can eat, don't eat this, don't eat that, ''eat high fibre if that doesn't work eat low fibre''kindof advice really isn't advice just common sense.

I read a book 'Eat for your blood-type' which as a skeptic and after trying everything, I must admit the book pretty much explains why it happens and what you can eat safely. As it can take food anything from immediately to weeks before your body reacts to it, pin pointing anything you can eat is difficult, the food that you ruled in as ok might be a slow burner causing you latter to rule out a safe food.

Basic idea is this, our bodies have not adjusted over the past few thousand years from hunter gathers, and certain food types are more in tune to your blood type. So for O-type higher red meat, lower wheats, but for other blood types, can be the opposite, I only know my own, but this does explain why one diet can work for one person and be like acid to another.

Just read this book and try it.

2. Change doctor.
    18 months going to the same doctor sometimes twice a week, and one of my last visits he shrugged
    his sholders and said well we know what it's not (no mention of IBS ever).
    I moved location and had to get a new doctor, 5mins in he started written off a perscription, then he said ok, you have got what is termed IBS, and probably allready heard about it on the internet. Gave me the perscription and said you'll be fine within 3 days, and then take motilium for a few weeks, till only when needed. After 18 months of consistent pain, I just had to keep asking him about after threee days ?, he kept saying you'll be fine, so will I make a follow up apointment, he said no need. (as tablets are over the counter)

I drank the bottle of suspention? fluid and on the 2nd day I felt like my body was working again, I never had to go back to the doctor. Since changing my diet and watching what I eat, can't even remember the last time I bought Motilium.

So if your doctor ignores IBS, just get up and walk out as they're wasting your time, find a new doctor, 18 months wasted because this doctor who was really friendly and seemed to try his best didn't have a clue.

Myself: Started in 2000, once a year then every few months, thought
    it was food poisoning at first then drink which I gave up and seemed to help, after a few years nearly every month eventually to everyweek.

Food
    1.618 wrote: »
    The foods I've been eating all last week consisted of:-
    Breakfasts- Porridge/ W-abix mixed with muesli warm milk.
    Lunches-Sambo's(brn bread) soup, salad, beans on toast(brn) etc.
    Dins-Beef stew(loads of veg) fish, roast beef/chicken(veg)veggie pizza(with side salad) etc.

So as you can see the foods are not too radical. Its a balance thing.
    If you eat something not generally considered to be great(pizza) balance it with a salad.

I have been drinking lots and lots of water and other fluids. Even if I go out for an hour I bring a bottle of water with me.

This is just my experience of the diet and it does work for me. I'm sticking with it.
    This is what works for me execpt bread maybe once a week if I feel my body can take it, w-abix huge no-no . I bet you are O-type, you could try a chinese beef curry + bold rice -not indian, avoid that like the plauge (note back in 2000 I started eating a lot of Indian takeaways), anyway I read this in the book and after trying the safe foods it convinced me I was on the right track, I find a chinese beef curry can calm my stomach if its a bit iffy, it's my 100% safe food. For me O-type from the book Grapefruit & ribenna blackcurrent are the only 100% safe juices, avoid orange.

What I do now with an attack
    I try to listen to my body. Every now and then you want to try the forbibben food, I loved coffee but that is the first thing to stop drinking (i think it's one of theuniversal IBS no-nos)
    Now and again I drink coffee, over the last few years I've been buying Aldi-faretrade columbiam coffee no prob at a cup or even two a day, recently they stopped stocking it, got Nescafe-gold ok but expensive so went for the Tesco-gold, two weeks in I thought I had the flu, no enegy, waking up tired so a cup of coffee to wake up, after spending one Sunday the whole day in a coma-like state in and out of sleep, feverish couldn't stand as dizzy, I tried to figure out what I eat, and saw the coffee jar on the table, the only thing I had that day

. So learnt a while ago best to empty the stomach rather than trying to get it through the system, so drank a litre of water and fingers-back of throat, repeat till empty drank more water went for a walk, pucked up again, within half an hour felt way better, staving even, had some rice-pudding, and later a safe dinner and a perfect night sleep no problems after.

Way back when my IBS started I would feel like vomiting but keep it down, and spend hours and hours suffering, if the body wants to reject the stuff that's what you should do, puking for half an hour mightn't be nice but better than 14 hrs of cramps and diahorrea with little sleep and feeling dreadful for a few days.

The way I see it, some wrong foods you can tolerate up to a limit, at which point the body acts like it's posion and trys to reject it. If its in your stomach you have to get it out of your body rather than try to spend 8hrs attemting to digest it, I know can take 3 days to pass, but when IBS kicks in, I've noticed it's 4 to 8 hrs after eating the wrong food that the body tries to deal with it. Once it's out best thing to do is eat some safe food, one it settles the system & aborbs acids, and dilutes whatevers left of the bad food, two it gives you energy the whole point of food, the wrong food shuts off enery production. In regard to the tablets, wont help too much untill the crap food is gone, if it's a mild attack will help, and after emptying your stomach will help.

StressYes been there, and loss, but nothing in the world compairs to the stress of having IBS
    I've read all of that stuff for a solution don't waste your time going there, sort out the food, then deal with our standard 'stressfull life' issuses later. Many times lying/crouched in a field, in chronic pain freezing cold while sweating, I wished on death, but my body had better ideas.

Sorry for the essay but I hate to see people going through this and getting zero relief (pun not intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I went to my doctor today complaining of an upset stomach for the past few months. Was diagnosed with IBS straight away and put on 10mg of amitryptiline every night....

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Hi, I would recommend Sushi, you don't need to eat the raw fish type. but the Seaweed/Rice combination works great.

Also try a month of Gluten free foods.. and the next month Lactose free.

Avoid high fat, Chocolate, cakes, esp fast food. Peppermint tea is good. Avoid fizzy drinks.

Turn your diet upside down, Try and get more exercise. Loose weight. Avoid snacking, try and limit your meals to 3 a day.

The Cure for me was to take a long holiday de-stress/Totally change diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Avoid pizza and breads.....these turn me upside down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Tomk1 wrote: »

I bet you are O-type,

A neg as it turns out.

Massive post there, fair dues.

My update-

I purposely avoided updating before now because I didn't want to do the 'I'm doing good while other's are not'.
    Basically, I've gotten to grips with it big time. Since I first started posting in this thread I've seen a huge improvement and have only had a minor relapse about 6 weeks ago. No radical change in diet and still lots of water/fluids and a 'reduced stress' frame of mind.

I firmly believe that this is a very 'individual specific' problem and there is no magic bullet that fixes it, but needs to be tailored/tweaked (within the diet and stress management regime) to each person individually.

I hope everyone will get there eventually cos there's no doubt- its a bastid.

Advertisement