Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having ibs is ruining my life :(

Options
  • 28-11-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question here. Ibs is zapping the energy out of me and I hate not being able to eat foods that I loved before. I'm predominantly ibs-d too. Has anyone been able to keep their ibs under control without medication. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Try peppermint tea - that settles the stomach and can ease cramps.

Heat can also work for the cramps.

Keep a food & drink diary and see if there's anything that's specifically triggering it.

Increase your fibre/wholegrain intake - I know that sounds silly when you're running to the loo every few minutes but it can provide bulk and may help make your poo less runny.

Try to keep stress free.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Wear loose clothes - less restrictive for the auld bloating!

Don't be afraid to tell people if your tummy is bad - sometimes the fear of people finding out can make it worse. I don't mean broadcast it to the world!! But just something to bear in mind, it can take the pressure off if people know why you're off to the loo every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Hersheys wrote: »
    Try peppermint tea - that settles the stomach and can ease cramps.

Heat can also work for the cramps.

Keep a food & drink diary and see if there's anything that's specifically triggering it.

Increase your fibre/wholegrain intake - I know that sounds silly when you're running to the loo every few minutes but it can provide bulk and may help make your poo less runny.

Try to keep stress free.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Wear loose clothes - less restrictive for the auld bloating!

Don't be afraid to tell people if your tummy is bad - sometimes the fear of people finding out can make it worse. I don't mean broadcast it to the world!! But just something to bear in mind, it can take the pressure off if people know why you're off to the loo every few minutes.
    Thank you for your reply Hershey. It seems like a mixture of foods set it off for me. Any medication has either not worked or has given me side effects. I will try the peppermint tea. I haven't been able to find the balance of foods to keep it under control and I try not to get stressed out but that seems to be a feat in itself. Again thank you for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

If you're noticing foods that trigger it, try cut them out completely for a few weeks.

I had chronic food allergies before and did a diet where I had just fruit and vegetables for 2 weeks. I was then allowed to have some meat for 2 weeks. And when I was "symptom free" for a while I could slowly start to introduce things back in - dairy, bread - and then finally, processed foods. It was hell, but I figured out fairly fast what was making me sick!

What medication have you tried? Are you seeing a doctor about it, or just doing your own thing? If just your own thing, either consider having a chat to your doctor or even just your local pharmacist. Don't be embarrassed, they see it all the time. I regularly have discussions on my bowel habits with the pharmacist when I collect my script!

I keep a packet of mints on me the whole time - they really do help settle the tummy.

Hersheys wrote: »
    If you're noticing foods that trigger it, try cut them out completely for a few weeks.

I had chronic food allergies before and did a diet where I had just fruit and vegetables for 2 weeks. I was then allowed to have some meat for 2 weeks. And when I was "symptom free" for a while I could slowly start to introduce things back in - dairy, bread - and then finally, processed foods. It was hell, but I figured out fairly fast what was making me sick!

What medication have you tried? Are you seeing a doctor about it, or just doing your own thing? If just your own thing, either consider having a chat to your doctor or even just your local pharmacist. Don't be embarrassed, they see it all the time. I regularly have discussions on my bowel habits with the pharmacist when I collect my script!

I keep a packet of mints on me the whole time - they really do help settle the tummy.
    A relation of mine has coeliac disease so I've had blood tests to rule that out and my doctor diagnosed me with ibs after that. I have even changed toothpaste and mouthwash because of an ingredient called sorbitol which aggravates ibs. I will try to cut stuff out. Its been an up and down few years for me and I do let things bother me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

I was once where you are now....I feel your pain! The only way to get things sorted is by doing whats called the FODMAP diet. http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet

You're basically going to have to strip back your diet completely. It sucks but it's the only way you'll gain control. You need to avoid a lot of foods for 6 weeks and then you slowly introduce things in a measured manner that will actually allow you to see what foods are bad for the IBS.

Stress for me was the main trigger. I go to see a kinesiologist and hope to take up reiki soon enough. Meditation helps.

Also try;
    peppermint tea, eating too quickly, drink lots of water, avoid fried vegetables,

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

First off- if you are on medication- do not stop the medication without the knowledge of your doctor.

There are some foods (such as the above mentioned peppermint tea) which can help settle your stomach and intestines. Another of these (and one I'd suggest is perhaps a lot more effective than peppermint tea)- is ginger ale (with the gas removed). Ginger, peppermint and a few others- can settle your stomach (somewhat) and help with sympthoms.

If the sympthoms are ongoing- you really do need professional assistance- and should not eschew conventional medicine treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

KKkitty wrote: »
    A relation of mine has coeliac disease so I've had blood tests to rule that out and my doctor diagnosed me with ibs after that. I have even changed toothpaste and mouthwash because of an ingredient called sorbitol which aggravates ibs. I will try to cut stuff out. Its been an up and down few years for me and I do let things bother me a bit.

exclusion diet is the only true means of identifying your triggers, and IBS is acknowledged to a great catch all phrase for 'can't figure out what's causing it'

re: the coeliac, I wouldn't dismiss the idea that you're gluten intolerant even if you're not the whole way up the scale to coeliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

smccarrick wrote: »
    First off- if you are on medication- do not stop the medication without the knowledge of your doctor.

There are some foods (such as the above mentioned peppermint tea) which can help settle your stomach and intestines. Another of these (and one I'd suggest is perhaps a lot more effective than peppermint tea)- is ginger ale (with the gas removed). Ginger, peppermint and a few others- can settle your stomach (somewhat) and help with sympthoms.

If the sympthoms are ongoing- you really do need professional assistance- and should not eschew conventional medicine treatments.

Second all of the above. Fennel tea can also help reduce bloating though it takes a while to get used to the taste. Please don't make any wide sweeping dietary changes without professional advice, preferably from a proper registered dietician, because you could cut out a lot of essential nutritional elements. I know it can be hellish dealing with it at times - I'm a coeliac and also had terrible IBS-D - but I found myself controlling it significantly better once I learnt how to manage my anxiety. I found the fear of worrying about would happen if I was out and about and had an attack was prompting a lot more attacks than I was necessarily going to have anyway. Since going to stress management classes I'm much more in control of the symptoms. I've a really stressful lifestyle but I only get the occasional bad attack nowadays. The same things don't work for everyone but try to stay positive and seek help if you need it. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

I tried dairy free, gluten free. All sorts of diets. and nothing worked.
    I was advised to eat more fiber and it made things worse.

I stopped eating fiber and life is much better now. Even have more days without pain than i do with pain now. It looks like it was the fiber.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am by no means alone in this which is comforting. When I was diagnosed my gp gave me a list of what to do and what not to do. It was full of negativity regarding food. I was taking colofac for it with pantraprozole and got bad headaches. I then tried colpermin. Right now I've got bad stomach cramps. I have had a few minor anxiety attacks and also find it hard to get to sleep at night. The exclusion of food seems daunting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭JaneyMacker

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am by no means alone in this which is comforting. When I was diagnosed my gp gave me a list of what to do and what not to do. It was full of negativity regarding food. I was taking colofac for it with pantraprozole and got bad headaches. I then tried colpermin. Right now I've got bad stomach cramps. I have had a few minor anxiety attacks and also find it hard to get to sleep at night. The exclusion of food seems daunting.

Look on the bright side. You'll probably end up eating far healthier now.
    Im much happier, much fitter and feel much healthier. All because I had to give up foods that I liked, but they were bad for me as i found out.
    My last vice now is coffee. If i can stop drinking that i'll save a fortune :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I really feel for you, it's awful, I've been there.

What's worse is depression and anxiety go hand in hand with IBS too (some antidepressants even relieve the symptoms, the connection between brain and gut is very strong).

I would really look at getting a colonoscopy and a stool analysis done to test for any lingering infections or inflammation. Unfortunately the 'S' in IBS stands for 'Syndrome', doctor speak for 'we don't know what's wrong with you so here, have an umbrella acronym for all the digestive disorders we don't understand'.

That's why you'll get so much conflicting advice. High-fibre, low-fibre, lots of fat, no fat. Truth is because there are many different experiences of IBS, what will work for someone else may not work for you.

To throw my own story into the ring. I have IBS-D. Medication didn't do much for me personally. I did the high-fibre, high-wholegrain thing, ended up in hospital with the pain. Then discovered a low carb diet. All digestive symptoms resolved completely, and stayed resolved for around 4 years, even after increasing carbs from rice and potatoes (bread was still a big no-no) when I started completing my master's thesis while working a demanding full-time job. It was now worse than ever. I discovered that eating simple dinners that I have cooked myself at home were by far the easiest on the digestion along with completely cutting out eggs. It's still not perfect eating out, so I stick to plain foods like sushi with are easy to digest. I drink kefir (a fermented milk drink) daily and practice stress management techniques.

Keep the faith, it does get better! Best of luck!

My gp could find nothing else wrong. I cut out microwave dinners, white bread and crisps and fizzy drinks so far. My parents died around a year apart and I don't really cry over it. I have kids and wish my mam and dad could physically be here to see them. Having ibs is draining isn't it. I am female and during that time of the month it feels worse. I had the implant contraceptive in my arm for 6 months and that seems to be around the time my ibs started. It's been removed cos my fiance and I would like to try for another baby and nothing has happened yet so that's more stress. Sorry for offloading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Finding myself in a similar boat to you now too. Have had IBS on and off for years but each long spell of it gets worse as time goes on. I can't seem to eat anything now without my stomach going into a complete tailspin. I went to the cinema last night with some friends and missed have the film from trips to the toilet and had to decline a dinner invite tonight for the same reason. :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I posted this on the nutrition and diet forum but it might be useful here too.

FODMAPs elimination is the only diet clinically proven to reduce the symptoms of IBS. It was discovered by researchers in Sydney and they ran a clinical study to discover that it vastly reduces the frequency and severity of IBS symptoms.

List of recommended foods to avoid and foods to eat:

http://www.ibsgroup.org/brochures/fodmap-intolerances.pdf

Thanks for that - a helpful list to have.

Just wondering was there any info given on proteins?

Thanks El Dangeroso and Trixie Belle. I'll have a look at that link soon. As far as I know protein from meat doesn't aggravate ibs symptoms. Not sure about other protein sources. Trixie Belle I have also turned down offers to go places. I have to be near a bathroom at all times. When your ibs was gone had anything changed in your life Trixie Belle?

Hi KKkitty. Think you are probably correct with regards to the protein, usually find that eggs, poultry and first are pretty non aggressive on the stomach.

I suppose for me it seems to come in flare ups which can last for weeks. It also can go hand in hand with stress and feeling down. I have an added complication of haemmorroids which are extremely painful hence awake at this early hour. I won't be back to sleep now anyway :rolleyes:

I've definitely found that eating plainer foods helps so I'll stick to rice krispies or porridge as a breakfast, smoked salmon or parma ham with salad for lunch maybe with some spelt crackers or bread and then grilled or baked fish or an omelette for dinner with some veg ie peas, green beans. It's a bit bland in fairness but I'd do anything to carry on as normal.

Unfortunately at the moment everything I eat is causing violent cramping and diarrhea. Like you, I'm just feeling so tired from it at the moment and it's really not helping the mood.

I think there's been alot of excellent advice on the thread so far. It is different for everyone I think.

How long is this going on for you?

It must be over a year now. When I eat certain foods my stomach feels like there's a million butterflies going around it and that feeling goes right up to my chest. Yesterday I went into the chemist and got fybogel mevebrine. Hope they work.
    Ibs is a curse altogether. Even if I want a bun I have to make it myself for fear that shop bought ones will affect me in some way. I eat fresh food almost all the time and my dinner is from pan to plate. I miss some foods I used to love. Wish ibs would go away.

My doctor has recently put me on lomotil and flagyl for ibs -d. The whole thing is making me very irritable and weak at the moment. I've held off on the flagyl as I'm worried that it might aggravate the symptoms further. Has anyone taken this for ibs before?

• Advertisement

My doctor has recently put me on lomotil and flagyl for ibs -d. The whole thing is making me very irritable and weak at the moment. I've held off on the flagyl as I'm worried that it might aggravate the symptoms further. Has anyone taken this for ibs before?

If the consultant has put you on Flagyl- you really should be taking it.......
    Its a common treatment in Crohn's disease where there are abscesses and/or intestinal fistulas (and its also used frequently after surgery to protect against infection particularly against gram-pos anaerobic bacteria).

Your doc has not prescribed the Flagyl for fun- if you're not taking it, you really need to inform him or her that you're not taking it, and what your concerns are- its quite possible they may allay your fears, or alternatively come up with a different treatment regime for you.

The lomotil- is simply to reduce episodes of diarrohea, however if you IBD as opposed to IBS- its very often avoided, as it can acerbate blockages if/when they occur.

These are all questions you need to asking your doc and discussing with them to be honest- asking strangers on the internet- really is not a good idea..........

Thanks for the response.

I have discussed it with my gp and advised him that I was going to see if just taking the lomotil for a few days would help. He was agreeable to this. I only wondered about other people's experiences with this anti-biotic...

I've been on 3 separate courses of Flagyl over the past year- both for Crohn's and also for an unfortunate incident with septicaemia (related to the Crohn's). My own personal experience were that after taking it for even a day or two- everything I ate had a metallic taste, and I also experienced dizziness (and had a number of chronic migraine incidents, for which I was prescribed a separate medication- Zomig (though I also needed stemetil injections at least twice).

All-in-all, my Crohn's itself is pretty stable- I have a range of common Crohn's things though- including blood clots (for which I'm on warfarin- and likely to be on for life), granulomas (I've had two internal ones- a little smaller than golf balls removed from both arms and I've a third one on my left wrist which will hopefully be removed in the new year), chronic internal bleeding- not helped by being on warfarin (I actually attend St. Vincent's every Friday for veinifer and/or blood or platelet transfusions- I loose about a unit a week- so the transfusions have only been keeping me going- not topping me up). I also take forthnightly B12 shots- as my ileum where you absorb B vitamins, has been removed.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom- I'm not gloomy at all- I don't have the chronic pain I used have, and I used to have a constant low grade temperature and generally feel miserable. Despite my pretty appalling health- to not be in constant pain- is something really really special.

I have had 1 blockage in the last year- quite recently- for which I'm on prednisolone, on a reducing scale, and should be off it again in the early new year.

To be honest- its only when you have chronic bad health, that you really appreciate the little things- in my case, not being in constant pain- as I was for almost 20 years, is a massive thing in my life.

Flagyl- to me- is just another instrument at my doctor's disposal. I dislike the side-effects, the metal taste of everything is bleurgh- and the migraines- well, thankfully the Zomig helps.

In my case- I'm normally prescribed a gram neg alongside the Flagyl- for broad spectrum coverage (normally chloramphenical or one of the penicillin based antibiotics- which in themselves are pretty harsh on my stomach).

So- in my case- taking the Flagyl is the lesser of two evils- however when I'm on it- I normally end up on a range of other things too......... :(

I've been on 3 separate courses of Flagyl over the past year- both for Crohn's and also for an unfortunate incident with septicaemia (related to the Crohn's). My own personal experience were that after taking it for even a day or two- everything I ate had a metallic taste, and I also experienced dizziness (and had a number of chronic migraine incidents, for which I was prescribed a separate medication- Zomig (though I also needed stemetil injections at least twice).

All-in-all, my Crohn's itself is pretty stable- I have a range of common Crohn's things though- including blood clots (for which I'm on warfarin- and likely to be on for life), granulomas (I've had two internal ones- a little smaller than golf balls removed from both arms and I've a third one on my left wrist which will hopefully be removed in the new year), chronic internal bleeding- not helped by being on warfarin (I actually attend St. Vincent's every Friday for veinifer and/or blood or platelet transfusions- I loose about a unit a week- so the transfusions have only been keeping me going- not topping me up). I also take forthnightly B12 shots- as my ileum where you absorb B vitamins, has been removed.

I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom- I'm not gloomy at all- I don't have the chronic pain I used have, and I used to have a constant low grade temperature and generally feel miserable. Despite my pretty appalling health- to not be in constant pain- is something really really special.

I have had 1 blockage in the last year- quite recently- for which I'm on prednisolone, on a reducing scale, and should be off it again in the early new year.

To be honest- its only when you have chronic bad health, that you really appreciate the little things- in my case, not being in constant pain- as I was for almost 20 years, is a massive thing in my life.

Flagyl- to me- is just another instrument at my doctor's disposal. I dislike the side-effects, the metal taste of everything is bleurgh- and the migraines- well, thankfully the Zomig helps.

In my case- I'm normally prescribed a gram neg alongside the Flagyl- for broad spectrum coverage (normally chloramphenical or one of the penicillin based antibiotics- which in themselves are pretty harsh on my stomach).

So- in my case- taking the Flagyl is the lesser of two evils- however when I'm on it- I normally end up on a range of other things too......... :(
    And I thought having ibs was a curse. You have been through so much. I was on flagyl also after having my second child due to complications with the birth. No side effects thank god. I have had migraines too so I know what they like. What aches and pains have both of you experienced as a result of ibs or other bowel problems.

Well on the flagyl now after another sleepless night in agony from diverticulitis. I was in really bad pain from it and didn't know whether I could take painkillers for it but I now am. I have to say it's subsided considerably today I'm just hoping I will get a night's sleep tonight :confused:

What aches and pains have both of you experienced as a result of ibs or other bowel problems.

I've had fistulas (where my intestine has grown into each other and my stomach wall), and also complete blockages. All-in-all, over the past 18 years I've had intestinal surgery 7 times (the first occasion was pretty major surgery- it lasted over 7 hours and took months to recover from). My most recent surgery- was remedial surgery a few weeks ago to try to reduce the level of intestinal bleeding- and I have part 2 of this surgery on the 10th of Jan.

I was incredibly ill as a child- and all through my teenage years- until I was eventually (after 10 years) diagnosed with Crohn's Disease aged 19. The pain was such that I walked with a constant stoop- and the exhaustion was indescribable- I used go to bed immediately after school every afternoon and huddle up against the wall to try to get the cold wall to relieve the intestinal pain.

My health sounds like a disaster even now- but I'm not in pain- and just not being in perpetual pain is remarkable for me- and something I am so relieved and happy about.

I hope you do too Trixie Belle. I get muscle and joint pain when I have a flare up of my ibs. I've had an up and down few years.

What aches and pains have both of you experienced as a result of ibs or other bowel problems.

I've had fistulas (where my intestine has grown into each other and my stomach wall), and also complete blockages. All-in-all, over the past 18 years I've had intestinal surgery 7 times (the first occasion was pretty major surgery- it lasted over 7 hours and took months to recover from). My most recent surgery- was remedial surgery a few weeks ago to try to reduce the level of intestinal bleeding- and I have part 2 of this surgery on the 10th of Jan.

I was incredibly ill as a child- and all through my teenage years- until I was eventually (after 10 years) diagnosed with Crohn's Disease aged 19. The pain was such that I walked with a constant stoop- and the exhaustion was indescribable- I used go to bed immediately after school every afternoon and huddle up against the wall to try to get the cold wall to relieve the intestinal pain.

My health sounds like a disaster even now- but I'm not in pain- and just not being in perpetual pain is remarkable for me- and something I am so relieved and happy about.
    How on earth did you keep it altogether during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

although everyone seems to suffer from different things with IBS, here are a few things that i have learned are a defo Yes and Nos (again may not work for everyone).

Coffee/ tea/ Red Bull/ Mountain dew
    really spicy foods
    popcorn and coke in cinema - really nice especially with butter but you will pay for it, especially if you are wearing a nice pair of jeans to impress the lady friend you are with ;)

great tip for some people, excercise regularly (even if you dont need to loose weight), i didnt before i was diagnosed (wasnt overweight) and symptoms have greatly reduced since i started :D

Make sure you have a regular time for No2 try do it at least twice a day and about 1.5 hours after eating.

Always eat a breakfast, it will put your stomach acids to good use and will stop your stomach getting irritated.

try not eat past 7 in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I suffered with IBS for years, for me it was mostly stress related, although some foods will trigger a bout, as will bad period pain.

One of the first things I found out was that Im prone to intestinal candida and it produces symptoms like heartburn, indigestion, cramps, bloating and runny poo for me. I think its my pill that causes me to be prone to it. I keep on top of it by taking diflucan or similar every 3 or 4 months - I can tell if I have a build up from the nature of the heartburn I feel.

Another trigger for me is processed food. I now only eat freshly prepared food 99% of the time, very occasionally I will get a takeaway, eat half of it, and feel rubbish afterwards.

Alcohol is another no no for me, one or two drinks are ok, but more than that and I will suffer with heartburn and indigestion for days on end.

Spicy foods - I can tolerate some spices, but for example, I cannot tolerate fresh chilli peppers in food at all - I will be doubled over with cramps and diarrhea the next day if I do eat them.

I keep painkillers on hand for period pain, and never let cramps become so bad as to start another IBS bout.

Mostly I found my answers through trial and error, an IBS event diary (as opposed to a food diary, because stress or period pain could also set me off).

I rarely have a tangible bout anymore, occasionally I will have an upset stomach with cramps for a day or two, but mostly I just get along fine. I have problems when travelling and eating in restaurants as I do not tolerate rich foods and sauces well so I try to stick to fish and salads in those circumstances.

Ive really found, as far as food is concerned, that simple is best for me, and the plainer the better - unless Ive prepared it myself and know that a sauce is ok, best not to risk it.

Advertisement