Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having ibs is ruining my life :(

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

KKkitty wrote: »
    You come in handy here and there so!! Working in that area must be interesting.
    Yes working in the area is interesting, but also it's quite a small world - my gastroenterologist is involved in research projects where I work (including one I am involved in) so there's some level of embarassment when I see him outside of the clinic!!

But yes, I've learned so much about the GI system. Truely fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

rugbug86 wrote: »
    You come in handy here and there so!! Working in that area must be interesting.
    Yes working in the area is interesting, but also it's quite a small world - my gastroenterologist is involved in research projects where I work (including one I am involved in) so there's some level of embarassment when I see him outside of the clinic!!

But yes, I've learned so much about the GI system. Truely fascinating!
    Thank god he's not allowed to talk about your tummy issues. What's the most fascinating thing you've learned so far?

Thank god he's not allowed to talk about your tummy issues. What's the most fascinating thing you've learned so far?
    I'm a nerd. What I find fascinating may not be the same thing you find fascinating :D

I'm doing my phd in digestion. Sorta. So I've had to do a lot of research into the intestinal system and develop a model to effectively mimic what happens in the digestive tract of infants. I'm then looking at what happens different milk drinks as they're digested and what bioactivity these digested milk drinks have.

I suppose the thing I found most fascinating was watching a capsule endoscope real-time. It's used to diagnose conditions of the small intestine as the endoscope and colonoscope can't reach it, so I got to see exactly what happens in the tummy real-time.

There's 2 sides to it - on one side I've done all the research and understand the biology of many digestive disorders (have to for work), but on the other hand I've done all the research and understand the biology of many digestive disorders :P

Tummy not good today - up from 5 with pain. And nausea. My own fault - wine and pizza last night but twas a celebration!! Healthy eating today!

I'm a nerd. What I find fascinating may not be the same thing you find fascinating :D

I'm doing my phd in digestion. Sorta. So I've had to do a lot of research into the intestinal system and develop a model to effectively mimic what happens in the digestive tract of infants. I'm then looking at what happens different milk drinks as they're digested and what bioactivity these digested milk drinks have.

I suppose the thing I found most fascinating was watching a capsule endoscope real-time. It's used to diagnose conditions of the small intestine as the endoscope and colonoscope can't reach it, so I got to see exactly what happens in the tummy real-time.

There's 2 sides to it - on one side I've done all the research and understand the biology of many digestive disorders (have to for work), but on the other hand I've done all the research and understand the biology of many digestive disorders :P

Tummy not good today - up from 5 with pain. And nausea. My own fault - wine and pizza last night but twas a celebration!! Healthy eating today!
    Seems like a fascinating study all the same. Would you forget sometimes that you shouldn't eat something?

No, I'm okay with most foods - I have found in the past that pizza hurts so I tend not to eat so much of it. I've kept food diaries and that's the only thing that flagged up anything. And I don't eat it that frequently!

Alcohol in limited amounts (a glass of wine, a few beers) has no effect. Obviously after heavy nights I'm in a bad way the next day.

I took movicol on Sunday night, Monday morning, Tuesday morning and this morning so am very bloated but its not having any effect!! Very frustrating. (I normally take it in the mornings/defo before lunch but I was away on Sunday and was afraid it'd kick in while I had no access to a loo so waited until I was home).

• Advertisement

No, I'm okay with most foods - I have found in the past that pizza hurts so I tend not to eat so much of it. I've kept food diaries and that's the only thing that flagged up anything. And I don't eat it that frequently!

Alcohol in limited amounts (a glass of wine, a few beers) has no effect. Obviously after heavy nights I'm in a bad way the next day.

I took movicol on Sunday night, Monday morning, Tuesday morning and this morning so am very bloated but its not having any effect!! Very frustrating. (I normally take it in the mornings/defo before lunch but I was away on Sunday and was afraid it'd kick in while I had no access to a loo so waited until I was home).
    Hope you feel better soon. Wine doesn't really affect me thank god. I think a lot of my symptoms are stress related. I worry and get down over anything. I would love to be stress free. Is movicol an otc medication?

Nope, its prescribed by my doctors. It's a substance that stops your bowel absorbing too much water so in theory makes you go. To clear you out they suggest 6 and then 1/2 max a day to keep you going. I take 4 in one go every day. It's disgusting. Imagine salty, lemonny water with a slightly thicker than water consistency. I've to be very careful about when in the day I take it. I play rugby so on days when I've training/matches it has to be timed around them cos otherwise it might not be pleasant :P

I'm not overly stressed in life. Obviously I have my moments - I've to do a presentation in work in a few weeks and then (hopefully) at a conference in Italy in March (the pizza thing might be a slight problem here :().

But it is a horrible thing to have - any change in basic bodily functions can be so difficult to deal with.

Nope, its prescribed by my doctors. It's a substance that stops your bowel absorbing too much water so in theory makes you go. To clear you out they suggest 6 and then 1/2 max a day to keep you going. I take 4 in one go every day. It's disgusting. Imagine salty, lemonny water with a slightly thicker than water consistency. I've to be very careful about when in the day I take it. I play rugby so on days when I've training/matches it has to be timed around them cos otherwise it might not be pleasant :P

I'm not overly stressed in life. Obviously I have my moments - I've to do a presentation in work in a few weeks and then (hopefully) at a conference in Italy in March (the pizza thing might be a slight problem here :().

But it is a horrible thing to have - any change in basic bodily functions can be so difficult to deal with.
    Sounds like a very pleasant concoction altogether. I hate ibs with a passion. It disturbs a lot in my life. I also feel like I should have a letterbox in my toilet door seeing as I spend so much time in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I would love to be stress free.

kkkitty - I think we all suffer stress - its how we handle it thats makes us different. I found swimming to be my best stress buster. I can switch off when I swim and let the mind just goof off, not be going over and over things, plus the physicality of it means you cant be tense, and obviously you need to breathe deep so you wont drown!!! So it works for me - maybe there is something that ticks all those boxes for you exercise or hobby-wise?

I would love to be stress free.

kkkitty - I think we all suffer stress - its how we handle it thats makes us different. I found swimming to be my best stress buster. I can switch off when I swim and let the mind just goof off, not be going over and over things, plus the physicality of it means you cant be tense, and obviously you need to breathe deep so you wont drown!!! So it works for me - maybe there is something that ticks all those boxes for you exercise or hobby-wise?
    I like crosswords and word games but me and my mam used to do them together so even that reminds me of her. I will try get back properly doing them. I also have taken up sudoku in the last while. I've completed a good few which is surprising since I'm not all that numerically minded. Anything to do with words is where I get my kicks. Thank you for your advice.

• Advertisement

I like crosswords and word games but me and my mam used to do them together so even that reminds me of her. I will try get back properly doing them. I also have taken up sudoku in the last while. I've completed a good few which is surprising since I'm not all that numerically minded. Anything to do with words is where I get my kicks. Thank you for your advice.

Its ok to be reminded of the person if you can try and view that association in a positive way rather than a 'getting you down' way - its nice to have a fond memory like that about something you used to enjoy doing with someone.

Thats great that there is something that lets your brain relax - lots of people dont have a specific thing.

kkkitty - have you seen a grief counsellor or spoken to anyone about how youve been feeling regarding losing your parents? It can help a lot physically to express whats going on mentally, bottling up feelings can cause us to clench the gut and makes the ibs worse.

Its ok to be reminded of the person if you can try and view that association in a positive way rather than a 'getting you down' way - its nice to have a fond memory like that about something you used to enjoy doing with someone.

Thats great that there is something that lets your brain relax - lots of people dont have a specific thing.

kkkitty - have you seen a grief counsellor or spoken to anyone about how youve been feeling regarding losing your parents? It can help a lot physically to express whats going on mentally, bottling up feelings can cause us to clench the gut and makes the ibs worse.
    To be honest I don't really like to talk about it. My dad and I had a little row hours before he died. I was the daughter that drank way too much and slept around. Not what he wanted for me at all. His last words were soul shattering and I feel I deserved them.

To be honest I don't really like to talk about it. My dad and I had a little row hours before he died. I was the daughter that drank way too much and slept around. Not what he wanted for me at all. His last words were soul shattering and I feel I deserved them.

We all do things and behave in ways that baffle and upset other people close to us. And many of us do have harsh words that we never get a chance to repair.

I dont know you, but you come across as a very nice person and its not nice to hear that you have such an awful weight of private grief that affects your physical health also. I would implore you to talk to someone about your feelings, even if you dont really like talking about it, its something that would be healthy and good for you.

For what its worth I had a difficult parental situation also and was estranged from both of my parents before they died. The circumstances of the estrangement had to do with my fathers alcoholism. I felt massively guilty for years about estranging myself, but I went to group therapy and managed to deal with it even though it was horribly difficult for me to talk about it. The worst of my IBS was when I was still living in the house and being subjected to active alcoholism. My IBS improved when I began therapy, and continued to improve when I moved out of the toxic environment, and improved further when I fully dealt with my own feelings, stress and issues.

You need to start loving yourself again, you are worth as much as any other person out there. None of us is perfect, we just behave how we behave because it seems like its the best thing to do at the time. Try not to be so hard on yourself.

We all do things and behave in ways that baffle and upset other people close to us. And many of us do have harsh words that we never get a chance to repair.

I dont know you, but you come across as a very nice person and its not nice to hear that you have such an awful weight of private grief that affects your physical health also. I would implore you to talk to someone about your feelings, even if you dont really like talking about it, its something that would be healthy and good for you.

For what its worth I had a difficult parental situation also and was estranged from both of my parents before they died. The circumstances of the estrangement had to do with my fathers alcoholism. I felt massively guilty for years about estranging myself, but I went to group therapy and managed to deal with it even though it was horribly difficult for me to talk about it. The worst of my IBS was when I was still living in the house and being subjected to active alcoholism. My IBS improved when I began therapy, and continued to improve when I moved out of the toxic environment, and improved further when I fully dealt with my own feelings, stress and issues.

You need to start loving yourself again, you are worth as much as any other person out there. None of us is perfect, we just behave how we behave because it seems like its the best thing to do at the time. Try not to be so hard on yourself.
    It's hard to talk about it cos once you start it's real. Right now my emotions are inside not wanting to get out. I haven't cried all that much either. I'm kinda in limbo with my feelings. Thanks so much for your kind words. You've been through a lot too and you seem to be coping with it.

You've been through a lot too and you seem to be coping with it.

I didnt for a long time. It can take ages to sort yourself out after something traumatic. I got a lot of help too.

I understand exactly what you mean about things being real when you say them out loud.

Try to look after yourself, do the word puzzles and pamper yourself a bit, maybe get a massage - great for tension - and just try to focus on becoming more relaxed for a while. Sometimes it can just take time to come to terms with things. The important thing is to not be forcing yourself to do anything - that would only be more stressful.

You've been through a lot too and you seem to be coping with it.

I didnt for a long time. It can take ages to sort yourself out after something traumatic. I got a lot of help too.

I understand exactly what you mean about things being real when you say them out loud.

Try to look after yourself, do the word puzzles and pamper yourself a bit, maybe get a massage - great for tension - and just try to focus on becoming more relaxed for a while. Sometimes it can just take time to come to terms with things. The important thing is to not be forcing yourself to do anything - that would only be more stressful.
    It doesn't seem to be my time to deal with my grief just yet. I have to let it out in its own time. Losing parents is something else isn't it. I'm a parent myself and my kids would do something for the first time or they'd be sick and I'd love to ring my parents and tell them but I can't do that. My mam was one hell of a cook too. There was nothing she couldn't do. She would put all the chefs on tv to shame with her cooking. That was her thing to relax and unwind which I always found a bit unusual :)

It doesn't seem to be my time to deal with my grief just yet. I have to let it out in its own time. Losing parents is something else isn't it. I'm a parent myself and my kids would do something for the first time or they'd be sick and I'd love to ring my parents and tell them but I can't do that. My mam was one hell of a cook too. There was nothing she couldn't do. She would put all the chefs on tv to shame with her cooking. That was her thing to relax and unwind which I always found a bit unusual :)

Its very difficult. Being able to remember the good stuff like the word puzzles or your mum being a great cook is a big step in the right direction for dealing with the loss.

Its very difficult. Being able to remember the good stuff like the word puzzles or your mum being a great cook is a big step in the right direction for dealing with the loss.
    What's your favourite memory of your parents if you don't mind me asking?

Bizarrely quite similar to yours, when I was young myself and my Dad used to spend Sunday afternoon doing the Sunday Indo crossword together (I would have been like 10 or 11), looking up encyclopedias and fact books for answers (long before google!!) - so a word game on one hand, and on the other, my mum was a great cook and used to involve me in helping so I learned a lot and had a good time doing that.

Bizarrely quite similar to yours, when I was young myself and my Dad used to spend Sunday afternoon doing the Sunday Indo crossword together (I would have been like 10 or 11), looking up encyclopedias and fact books for answers (long before google!!) - so a word game on one hand, and on the other, my mum was a great cook and used to involve me in helping so I learned a lot and had a good time doing that.
    My mam and I would do the crossword in the farming supplement in the Irish Independent every Tuesday. My mam also had a collection of books about all the royal families of the world and when I was 10 or 11 I read those. The royal families of Spain and Monaco were my favourite to read about. How are you feeling now?

• Advertisement

My mam and I would do the crossword in the farming supplement in the Irish Independent every Tuesday. My mam also had a collection of books about all the royal families of the world and when I was 10 or 11 I read those. The royal families of Spain and Monaco were my favourite to read about. How are you feeling now?

Theyre lovely memories too :)

Mentally I feel good these days, I have a minimum of stress in my life, and I try to handle any stress that comes along without getting overwhelmed by it. I also exercise regularly which also helps with both stress levels and digestive continuity (for want of a better word!)

Physically my ibs has flared up in small ways recently, I suppose after the rich food and alcohol over xmas, Ive been a bit extra sensitive. Luckily Ive not had any prolonged bouts, just the odd evening/morning of a mildly upset stomach - my husband has not been awoken at 3am with me clutching my stomach in a while - which he is pleased about lol!!

Its a strange thing though, Ive been fine with garlic for quite a while but recently its been upsetting my stomach. That has happened before. If I dont eat it for a while and then reintroduce it slowly it will be ok. Do things like that happen you? Its like temporary intolerance to things.

Mentally I feel good these days, I have a minimum of stress in my life, and I try to handle any stress that comes along without getting overwhelmed by it. I also exercise regularly which also helps with both stress levels and digestive continuity (for want of a better word!)

Physically my ibs has flared up in small ways recently, I suppose after the rich food and alcohol over xmas, Ive been a bit extra sensitive. Luckily Ive not had any prolonged bouts, just the odd evening/morning of a mildly upset stomach - my husband has not been awoken at 3am with me clutching my stomach in a while - which he is pleased about lol!!

Its a strange thing though, Ive been fine with garlic for quite a while but recently its been upsetting my stomach. That has happened before. If I dont eat it for a while and then reintroduce it slowly it will be ok. Do things like that happen you? Its like temporary intolerance to things.
    Some sweet things are my temporary intolerances. Especially madeira cake. I see from another forum you've given up smoking. I'm a 20 a day smoker. Tried giving them up before but lasted 2 days. How did you do it. Has it helped your ibs at all.

Some sweet things are my temporary intolerances. Especially madeira cake. I see from another forum you've given up smoking. I'm a 20 a day smoker. Tried giving them up before but lasted 2 days. How did you do it. Has it helped your ibs at all.

How I did it: cold turkey, but, and its a big but, I was ready to quit. Id been smoking 20 years, I dont think I was ever on 20 a day (maybe briefly on and off in my late 20s), my usual had been 16 a day, but in the past 2 years Id gone down to less than 10 a day, specifically in the past 6 months I was on maybe 7 a day some days. I wasnt smoking in my house, and I dont really go out that much so I wasnt smoking a lot at weekends. So Id been dwindling it for a while with the thoughts of stopping.

The first few days were hard, but after that its been fine.

Has it helped my IBS? I would have to say - no. Maybe its helped in terms of heartburn/indigestion - I do tend to suffer from that from time to time and I havent in a few weeks - but that could be wishful thinking, sometimes I dont suffer from that for ages at a time.

Ive been hungrier since I stopped too, the old appetite suppressing qualities gone! But Im trying to nibble on fruit or ryvita or rice cakes if I get a nibble urge - I havent gained weight, maybe a pound or two, nothing noticeable.

I dont think I could have stopped except I was so ready mentally. I am rolling quickly towards 40, I didnt want to become one of those older women with a seamed face and a husly voice with yellow fingertips :) (now theres an image to make you want to quit eh?)

One thing I have really noticed is that not smoking is far less stressful than smoking. When I smoked I was always mentally tied up with 'where I can go for my next smoke', 'how can I fit a smoke in', 'I better have a smoke before I go in here', 'wait for me til I finish my smoke', 'stop the film halfway so I can have a smoke' etc....
    Its very calming not having to worry about all that stuff anymore! Plus Im not raising my heart rate 7-10 times a day for no reason.

So actually, less stress means less ibs so perhaps indirectly its helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Having a bad flare up since Saturday when I had a minor argument with someone in the family. Was coming around today until I managed to crash the car (minus any damage to anyone else or myself thankfully) :rolleyes:.

Stress really does seem to do it to us:o

How I did it: cold turkey, but, and its a big but, I was ready to quit. Id been smoking 20 years, I dont think I was ever on 20 a day (maybe briefly on and off in my late 20s), my usual had been 16 a day, but in the past 2 years Id gone down to less than 10 a day, specifically in the past 6 months I was on maybe 7 a day some days. I wasnt smoking in my house, and I dont really go out that much so I wasnt smoking a lot at weekends. So Id been dwindling it for a while with the thoughts of stopping.

The first few days were hard, but after that its been fine.

Has it helped my IBS? I would have to say - no. Maybe its helped in terms of heartburn/indigestion - I do tend to suffer from that from time to time and I havent in a few weeks - but that could be wishful thinking, sometimes I dont suffer from that for ages at a time.

Ive been hungrier since I stopped too, the old appetite suppressing qualities gone! But Im trying to nibble on fruit or ryvita or rice cakes if I get a nibble urge - I havent gained weight, maybe a pound or two, nothing noticeable.

I dont think I could have stopped except I was so ready mentally. I am rolling quickly towards 40, I didnt want to become one of those older women with a seamed face and a husly voice with yellow fingertips :) (now theres an image to make you want to quit eh?)

One thing I have really noticed is that not smoking is far less stressful than smoking. When I smoked I was always mentally tied up with 'where I can go for my next smoke', 'how can I fit a smoke in', 'I better have a smoke before I go in here', 'wait for me til I finish my smoke', 'stop the film halfway so I can have a smoke' etc....
    Its very calming not having to worry about all that stuff anymore! Plus Im not raising my heart rate 7-10 times a day for no reason.

So actually, less stress means less ibs so perhaps indirectly its helping.
    I had the patches and to me I may as well have put standard sellotape on my arm. I'm 30 and have been smoking 15 years. I wish I never started but now especially after trying to quit before and failing I guess I'm afraid to try again. I commend you for quitting and I really hope it works out for you. I'll try again soon. It has helped your ibs in a roundabout way thank god. If only ibs wasn't in your life. I hope a proper solution is found soon for all of us. On facebook I'm talking to a distant relative's wife about ibs so that's been of some help.

Having a bad flare up since Saturday when I had a minor argument with someone in the family. Was coming around today until I managed to crash the car (minus any damage to anyone else or myself thankfully) :rolleyes:.

Oh no. Sorry to hear of your flare up. How are you feeling now. Families are great for arguments. Hope you're not stressing about your car. Once you're ok that's all that matters. Accidents can and will happen.

Oh no. Sorry to hear of your flare up. How are you feeling now. Families are great for arguments. Hope you're not stressing about your car. Once you're ok that's all that matters. Accidents can and will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Better today thanks KKKKitty. A relatively good night's sleep helped alot. How are you getting along at the moment? :)

• Advertisement

Better today thanks KKKKitty. A relatively good night's sleep helped alot. How are you getting along at the moment? :)
    I've had my good and bad days. I'm so used to it by now it doesn't really bother me as much. I'm still not sleeping great now. I've upped my water intake a bit too. Hope you're ok too :)

Advertisement