Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having ibs is ruining my life :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

There are one or two things that might help.
    Your diet when aggravated may need to be different than your diet when you are ok. This happens with diverticulitis, i.e. when ok, use fibre to avoid and stay healthy , but when aggravated go bland to rest the system for a little while.

Theres a number of products based on Slippery Elm.
    These seem to give relief to those who have digestive related problems.
    Slippery Elm has a strange texture ( as suggested by the name!) but I have seen it work.

Of course if you have allergies as the doc before trying anything out.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

KKkitty wrote: »
    Hi everyone. This is my first time posting a question here. Ibs is zapping the energy out of me and I hate not being able to eat foods that I loved before. I'm predominantly ibs-d too. Has anyone been able to keep their ibs under control without medication. Any advice for me will be greatly appreciated.

I know exactly how you feel. I have tried everything and spent a fortune on medical tests including private colonoscopy. Took me couple of years to get is sorted. What helped me was physical activity, not alot but enough to keep my abs fit. All I am doing is 3 x 20 pressups every 3 times per week and 3x 30 crunches 5 times per week. Long walks on the top of it. Apparently Chineese medicine sugests that IBS may be caused by imbalance between your soul and your body. In other words there is alot happening in your head (stress, ambitions, ideas etc.) but your body lacks exercise.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Thank you Volthar and Sedric. When I am stressed I do find my ibs flares up a hell of a lot more. Before I was told I had ibs I wasn't aware the connection between the brain and gut was so influential on how your bowel movements are kept consistent. My gp did say I could try anti depressants but I decided against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm in again next tues for a colonoscopy , my 6th in 15 y,rs..due family history of colon cancer......me it's plain ibs.....colofac and busto pan have served me well but regular bouts of tetracycline have sorted my irritable small bowel. It saps the energy out of you and yes makes you feel low....I won't use the depressed word.
    I have two pints of Guinness each evening........

Bearcat wrote: »
    I'm in again next tues for a colonoscopy , my 6th in 15 y,rs..due family history of colon cancer......me it's plain ibs.....colofac and busto pan have served me well but regular bouts of tetracycline have sorted my irritable small bowel. It saps the energy out of you and yes makes you feel low....I won't use the depressed word.
    I have two pints of Guinness each evening........
    What is tetracycline. I've never heard about it. I've never tried buscopan either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Should I be concerned if after 4+ years of daily diarrhoea, I'm mostly having normal poos now, or should I just be happy? It's actually thrown me to go for 4-5 days at a time with normal, solid poo. It's great, but I can't figure out why. I haven't substantially changed my diet, only cut down on greasy food and junk food and tried not to get as stressed. Have only had one bout of horrible yellow runny poo this week and it was after a Korean meal. I realised that it's not until you have a few days of normal bowel movements that you realise what an awful affliction IBS-D is.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Should I be concerned if after 4+ years of daily diarrhoea, I'm mostly having normal poos now, or should I just be happy? It's actually thrown me to go for 4-5 days at a time with normal, solid poo. It's great, but I can't figure out why. I haven't substantially changed my diet, only cut down on greasy food and junk food and tried not to get as stressed. Have only had one bout of horrible yellow runny poo this week and it was after a Korean meal. I realised that it's not until you have a few days of normal bowel movements that you realise what an awful affliction IBS-D is.
    Are you happy with the change in bowel movement. I have ibs-c which is awful. The longest I've gone without a bowel movement is about 5 days. Talk to your gp if you have any concerns about the change. What tests have you had done.

Are you happy with the change in bowel movement. I have ibs-c which is awful. The longest I've gone without a bowel movement is about 5 days. Talk to your gp if you have any concerns about the change. What tests have you had done.

Yes, it's normal BM now, no constipation. Daily poo, normal poo. Have had blood tests done in the past, all normal.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »

Yes, it's normal BM now, no constipation. Daily poo, normal poo. Have had blood tests done in the past, all normal.
    Same here. How has ibs affected you and your daily life??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucyjoc

dont have time to read all the posts so dont know if this has been mentioned before, im 35 and ive had ibs since i was a teenager, ive tried everything under the sun, went to a nutritionist when i got pregnant nearly 3 yrs ago, she told me to start taking virgin coconut oil in the mornings and flax seed, she also introduced me to garden of life supplements which are made from whole foods so started 1 of their multivitiams and also started taking fish oil capsules, wasn't going to her for ibs but low and behold i eventually noticed that i had regular bowel movements for the 1st time in my life and wasn't in pain anymore! Dont know how exactly it works but it does, i eat whatever i want now and take no tabs for the ibs, not sure if it works for everyone but worth a go. I have to warn you though the coconut oil is 1 of the worst things ive ever put in my mouth, its like a big block of lard, use to make me nearly vomit at the start and i actually love coconuts! My trick now is to put the 2 spoonful into my mouth and wash it down with an expresso or green tea!

• Advertisement

lucyjoc wrote: »
    dont have time to read all the posts so dont know if this has been mentioned before, im 35 and ive had ibs since i was a teenager, ive tried everything under the sun, went to a nutritionist when i got pregnant nearly 3 yrs ago, she told me to start taking virgin coconut oil in the mornings and flax seed, she also introduced me to garden of life supplements which are made from whole foods so started 1 of their multivitiams and also started taking fish oil capsules, wasn't going to her for ibs but low and behold i eventually noticed that i had regular bowel movements for the 1st time in my life and wasn't in pain anymore! Dont know how exactly it works but it does, i eat whatever i want now and take no tabs for the ibs, not sure if it works for everyone but worth a go. I have to warn you though the coconut oil is 1 of the worst things ive ever put in my mouth, its like a big block of lard, use to make me nearly vomit at the start and i actually love coconuts! My trick now is to put the 2 spoonful into my mouth and wash it down with an expresso or green tea!
    What way were you with ibs. Thanks for advice too. What does coconut oil taste like exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I think I have IBS but not sure.
    Quick summary.
    I was at a wedding last October, drank loads and ate loads.
    Dying the next day and had diahorrea and stomach cramps.
    Cramps continued for a week as did the diahorrea.
    Went to the doc, he gave me spasmonal and nothing else.
    Symptoms continued for about 6 weeks , I went back to the doc once more, he checked me over again and gave me more spasmonal and suggested, stool samples and bloods etc.
    This was Xmas week, I got better a week later so didnt follow up on the bloods or stool sample.
    I get little muscular now and again but nothing major.
    Last Sunday week, I woke up with major cramps in my stomach and really bad diahorrea again.
    Felt really tired and had pains, in my back, legs, like flu symptoms.
    Went to Doc on Tuesday, gave me losec (as I have really bad reflux for past 15 yrs, I'm 37)
    Some nights the reflux wakes me up as I think I am suffocating.
    Anyway, doc gave me the losec and colpermin.
    It seems to have done the trick.
    I have to go for bloods next Monday, am waiting for appt for ultrasound and also was referred for a scope.
    Not sure which end the scope will go as I have reflux and suspected IBS.
    I just thought I would post here as I am a bit nervous about the whole thing and what the reflux and IBS might lead to.
    My diet is not great but not terrible at the same time.
    I assume the blood tests will pick up on the IBS or how is it normally diagnosed?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sham.

sham69 wrote: »
    I think I have IBS but not sure.
    Quick summary.
    I was at a wedding last October, drank loads and ate loads.
    Dying the next day and had diahorrea and stomach cramps.
    Cramps continued for a week as did the diahorrea.
    Went to the doc, he gave me spasmonal and nothing else.
    Symptoms continued for about 6 weeks , I went back to the doc once more, he checked me over again and gave me more spasmonal and suggested, stool samples and bloods etc.
    This was Xmas week, I got better a week later so didnt follow up on the bloods or stool sample.
    I get little muscular now and again but nothing major.
    Last Sunday week, I woke up with major cramps in my stomach and really bad diahorrea again.
    Felt really tired and had pains, in my back, legs, like flu symptoms.
    Went to Doc on Tuesday, gave me losec (as I have really bad reflux for past 15 yrs, I'm 37)
    Some nights the reflux wakes me up as I think I am suffocating.
    Anyway, doc gave me the losec and colpermin.
    It seems to have done the trick.
    I have to go for bloods next Monday, am waiting for appt for ultrasound and also was referred for a scope.
    Not sure which end the scope will go as I have reflux and suspected IBS.
    I just thought I would post here as I am a bit nervous about the whole thing and what the reflux and IBS might lead to.
    My diet is not great but not terrible at the same time.
    I assume the blood tests will pick up on the IBS or how is it normally diagnosed?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sham.
    Sounds like ibs to me. Do you have bloating or anything? Ibs is basically a functional disorder of the bowel. Certain foods may trigger it. Rich foods and alcohol don't really help it. I have constipation with mine and when I have to go I really have to go. Get tested for candidas albican too to rule that out. Ibs symptoms include trapped wind, cramps, bloating, urgency to use the toilet, feeling like you haven't emptied your bowels when you do go, acid reflux and aches and pains.

doctors differ etc.

my advise to you OP is go and get a colonoscopy and a scope to check your stomach. H pylorio is causing havoc amongest the general populus. Took me 3 attempts to rid same. you might as well get two jobs done for the price of one as you'll be out cold and wont feel a thing.

I have ibs....similar symptoms etc. I am on colafac and a busocpan when needed re cramps. I for the life of me do not under stand a doctor who dispenses pills for ibs without the patient going for a colonoscopy.....if anything it is negligent. Loose stools and cramps can be other issues with the bowls and this must be ruled out and could save a lot of hassle in the long run..

oh and all those out there with ibs.....i have found colafac a life saver.....coats the insides of your bowels and Im generally getting normal bowl movements as against the dribs/drabs with vicious lower bowel cramps....gastro senor guy in svph i swear by.

I was constipated about a week before i got diahorrea.
    It does sound like IBS to me but what do I know.
    I thought it strange that the doc gave me the colpermin, the losec i understand as I do have really bad reflux, the losec does seem to be helping.
    The main feeling I seem to be getting in my stomach is a weird muscular feeling, like I did a hundred situps.
    I was referred for a scope but the doc said I could be 6 months to a year waiting to get one.
    I am trying to change my diet and keep a diary of what I eat every day to see if I can pinpoint what's triggering it.
    I do eat a lot of spice so trying to cut back on this.
    I have been feeling bloated aswell lately.
    Its weird as I was fine for about 3 months since the last time I felt like this.
    anyway hopefully the bloods will show up something as it could be a long wait for the scope.
    Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated.
    Sham.

this is the sheer disgrace on the public system of waiting months on end for procedures. Sounds like you need to be scoped asap. Believe me it could be something very very simple thats wrong with you.

Im lucky having health insurance through a company scheme.....i was scoped and colonscopy-ed within a week of seeing consultant.

Id be jumping up and down if I were you dare I say exagerating your pains so you can be checked out inside. I also do know if the public patient hospital waiting list is thru the roof re procedures they'll send some patients to private clinics to get done.

cant reiterate enough scopes, colon check is painless.

best of luck

re reflux.....I take nexium 20mg a day......no burning no more. I found it the best of all the ant reflux drugs.

that copermine is over the counter stuff....ask your doc to be put on colafac.

Thanks Bearcat.
    I've heard great things about nexium so might ask the doc for prescription.
    As for the scope, my pain is not that bad to be honest but would rather get sorted now than wait 6 months to a year.
    Although I doubt its anything serious, there is always something in the back of your mind that makes you worry, must be since having kids (3 of them under 5)
    I really should have VHI but can't really afford it at the moment to be honest.
    Thanks again.
    Sham.

That's another bad thing about ibs. It is almost like a volcano with some people. It could be dormant for a while and then erupt. Hope the bloods come back ok too.

Bearcat wrote: »
    doctors differ etc.

my advise to you OP is go and get a colonoscopy and a scope to check your stomach. H pylorio is causing havoc amongest the general populus. Took me 3 attempts to rid same. you might as well get two jobs done for the price of one as you'll be out cold and wont feel a thing.

I have ibs....similar symptoms etc. I am on colafac and a busocpan when needed re cramps. I for the life of me do not under stand a doctor who dispenses pills for ibs without the patient going for a colonoscopy.....if anything it is negligent. Loose stools and cramps can be other issues with the bowls and this must be ruled out and could save a lot of hassle in the long run..

oh and all those out there with ibs.....i have found colafac a life saver.....coats the insides of your bowels and Im generally getting normal bowl movements as against the dribs/drabs with vicious lower bowel cramps....gastro senor guy in svph i swear by.

I've been back and forth to the doctor with 'IBS' for over 10 years now and never once has a colonoscopy ever been suggested. Even when I asked about it. The general attitude seems to be 'if it's not bloody, it's fine' which surely can't be right but that's all I've ever gotten. In both the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nexium is pretty expensive, I was warned twice about the expense of it before being put on it before..think it was €40 for one week's supply of the lowest dose. Ask for a generic equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Nexium is pretty expensive, I was warned twice about the expense of it before being put on it before..think it was €40 for one week's supply of the lowest dose. Ask for a generic equivalent.

I'm on it at the moment- was hoping I wasn't going to have to pay the 135 a month, looks like thats out the window then :(

emazole is the exact copy of nexium......at a much lesser price. id prefer to give up my night out a month and have a drug that made my quality of life better.

kkitty, your the opossite end of the spectrum to me re ibs.....its regulating it to once a day.

oh and previous query....using tetracycline....used this amongest other drugs re thriple therapy to rid me of h plyori. H Plyori caused chaos with my ibs and it was drowning my system in bacteria and giving me ulcers....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Has anyone tried cutting out carbohydrates apart from the likes of onions, mushrooms, broccoli etc and tried going high protein and medium/high fat? How did you feel after a few weeks of it?

I've found it to really take away ALL stomach pains that I've had in the past. A typical day could be:

Around seven scrambled eggs with small chunk of butter, mushrooms and onions.
    Peppered steak with mushrooms and onions. /olive oil
    Any random piece of meat, poultry, fish and random vegetables. /olive oil
    Any random piece of meat, poultry and fish.

Also getting 31.5 grams of fibre through Fybogel, I find this to be excellent. Though could this be too much?

I take vitamins/minerals and Omacor too

Update:

Got my bloods back, all perfect , even my cholesterol was 3.4 which surprised me.
    The only concern the doc had was my White blood cells were low so she is sending me back for more bloods once I am feeling a bit better.
    I got diahorrea again last Saturday (had 3 pints of Guinness on Friday night) and am only feeling better today, I think this time it is down to a bug in the house though. My 3 kids have had it In the past week and today the missus woke up feeling crap.
    I was blaming the guinness but i don't think it was but it may have been too soon to start have a beer or two.
    I had the worst night last night, doubled over with cramps, trapped wind and sulphur like belches, really vile smelling.
    The wind passed about 7am after hours of squats, walks around the house and head between my legs sitting on the toilet, all the moves I could think of.
    I am feeling much better today.
    As I said I think this was the result of a bug of some sort so the ongoing stomach issues continue.
    I am now waiting for second bloods to be done, ultrasound and I am strongly considering getting a scope done privately, as god knows how long I will be waiting publicly.
    Anyway thanks all for the advice, the losec do seem to be helping the reflux but I am taking 2x20mg a day.

Don't seem to be getting much replies on this but what the hell.

Another update.
    I have had 2 really bad weekends recently.
    2 weeks ago on saturday evening I had 2 bottles of ale about 7pm.
    Started feeling a bit rough around 9pm, stomach muscles sore, back pain, back of legs pain etc.
    Went to bed and woke up the next morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck.
    Had to get up as I have 3 kids to look after and my missus was in work..
    When she got home from work I went to bed, took 2 solpadeine and felt fine around 7pm or so.

2. Went out from work last Friday, had a pint of smithwicks pale ale, a bottle of o'haras and 2 pints of guinness.
    Went home early, felt fine.
    got up saturday morning felt fine, had breakfast (full grill up) and started feeling rough around 12:30, same thing, stomach muscles tight (could hardly breathe) , pains in legs and arms.
    Felt crap yesterday but had to go to work, didnt eat anything all day.
    Had dinner when I went home and felt much better.
    Woke up this morning and it felt like somone was standing on my chest/upper stomach.
    Got some panadol and it seems to have helped.
    I still feel extremely muzzy.
    I have rang for an appointment with a specialist which i hope to get to when I get back from holidays next week.
    I am afraid to eat anything, afraid to drink alcohol etc until I know what is causing this.
    The alcohol isnt a problem, will be a shame that I can't have a couple on holidays but what the hell.

Funny thing is, I have drank cider and heineken in the past month with no effect.
    I was tested for celiac and it was negative.
    I was thinking it maybe the hops or something as its seems to be pointing at the guinness and the ale and thats mostly what I have been drinking for the past year.
    Apologies for the long post.
    Sham.

Hey sham. Sorry to hear you're going through such a bad time. Is it only when you drink ale that you feel this way? I've had a rough time too. I'm recovering after an ectopic pregnancy and I'm not eating properly yet. I'm full of trapped wind and it's getting annoying. I wish there was a cure. What medication have you tried?

Hi,
    It seems to be only when I drink ale or stout.
    I am trying to keep a diary of what I am eating or drinking etc.
    I was put on losec (more for my acid reflux) and colpermin (which didnt seem to help at all)
    Hopefully the specialist will know better than my gp what I need to take.
    Really sorry to hear about the ectopic, a cousin of my wife went through one recently, not pleasant.
    Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks so much. Could you have a slight intolerance to wheat products? How is your wifes cousin now? I wouldn't wish it on anyone now. I lost a tube because of it and I'm so scared it will happen again. I could eat something one day with no side effects but another day it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭brokenice

sham69 wrote: »
    Don't seem to be getting much replies on this but what the hell.

Another update.
    I have had 2 really bad weekends recently.
    2 weeks ago on saturday evening I had 2 bottles of ale about 7pm.
    Started feeling a bit rough around 9pm, stomach muscles sore, back pain, back of legs pain etc.
    Went to bed and woke up the next morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck.
    Had to get up as I have 3 kids to look after and my missus was in work..
    When she got home from work I went to bed, took 2 solpadeine and felt fine around 7pm or so.

2. Went out from work last Friday, had a pint of smithwicks pale ale, a bottle of o'haras and 2 pints of guinness.
    Went home early, felt fine.
    got up saturday morning felt fine, had breakfast (full grill up) and started feeling rough around 12:30, same thing, stomach muscles tight (could hardly breathe) , pains in legs and arms.
    Felt crap yesterday but had to go to work, didnt eat anything all day.
    Had dinner when I went home and felt much better.
    Woke up this morning and it felt like somone was standing on my chest/upper stomach.
    Got some panadol and it seems to have helped.
    I still feel extremely muzzy.
    I have rang for an appointment with a specialist which i hope to get to when I get back from holidays next week.
    I am afraid to eat anything, afraid to drink alcohol etc until I know what is causing this.
    The alcohol isnt a problem, will be a shame that I can't have a couple on holidays but what the hell.

Funny thing is, I have drank cider and heineken in the past month with no effect.
    I was tested for celiac and it was negative.
    I was thinking it maybe the hops or something as its seems to be pointing at the guinness and the ale and thats mostly what I have been drinking for the past year.
    Apologies for the long post.
    Sham.

i'd start looking into what's called the 'fodmap diet'. it's a pretty new investigation into foods/drinks/additives that cause upset. believe me, i was a lot worse than you are now. this time last year i was at the stage of where i actually couldn't eat anything! i dropped down to 7.5 stone...yikes! try it out or at least talk to the specialist about it when you meet them. i haven't looked back! also....very important!!!....just becuause the coeliac test was negative doesn't mean your body can handle wheat/gluten. you have to be 100% allergic to it for it show up in a blood test, but you could be 99% intolerant of it! avoid beers like the plague! i find for me guinness is ok because it's made from barley and hops. some beers can be ok to have because of the fermentation process (i think you mentioned heineken). hope that helps

• Advertisement

Thanks so much. Could you have a slight intolerance to wheat products? How is your wifes cousin now? I wouldn't wish it on anyone now. I lost a tube because of it and I'm so scared it will happen again. I could eat something one day with no side effects but another day it could.

She's ok now, it took her a while to get over it but family and friends etc really helped.
    As for the wheat intolerance, I am not sure, it doesnt seem to be foods but i just can't pinpoint it.
    The only common thing I can think of is the guinness and the ale.
    I was fine with heineken and cider though?
    i'd start looking into what's called the 'fodmap diet'. it's a pretty new investigation into foods/drinks/additives that cause upset. believe me, i was a lot worse than you are now. this time last year i was at the stage of where i actually couldn't eat anything! i dropped down to 7.5 stone...yikes! try it out or at least talk to the specialist about it when you meet them. i haven't looked back! also....very important!!!....just becuause the coeliac test was negative doesn't mean your body can handle wheat/gluten. you have to be 100% allergic to it for it show up in a blood test, but you could be 99% intolerant of it! avoid beers like the plague! i find for me guinness is ok because it's made from barley and hops. some beers can be ok to have because of the fermentation process (i think you mentioned heineken). hope that helps

I will try anything at this point.
    I really don't think its my diet, but I could be wrong.
    As things stand I am putting it down to the guinness and ale.
    I am going to avoid them until I see the specialist at least.
    feeling a lot better today but its just my chest and stomach when I breath.
    Hopefully by tomorrow I will be fine.
    It seems to take a few days to recover once I have an episode or whatever it is that I am having.
    I will keep updating once I get to the specialist after my holiday.
    Thanks all for the advice and replies, it really helps.

Advertisement