Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain and strong winds Monday night -Wednesday night

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

The shed in my garden measures 3mx5m.It has gutters front and back with two separate down pipes for each side of the roof. I've a 100 ltr water butt connected to just one of the down pipes. I've just had to empty it for the third time since Sunday.I'm only collecting water from one side of the roof so 1.5mx5m and I've had to dump 300 litres of rain water.:eek:
    It crazy to see that amount of water collected from a relatively small footprint.

Think I bought the wrong size water butt.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Tactical wrote: »
    What camera was used?

Think he owns a Canon 400D pal

Always trust Canon for their low light sensitivity! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Think he owns a Canon 400D pal

Always trust Canon for their low light sensitivity! :)

:)

Yeah, but sensor noise is a b*tch :(

Still though I know what ya mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    No idea why I did that weird/creepy little laugh after the 2nd flash, didn't realise until watching back through!

I wouldn't worry about it. I have been known to literally start crying with sheer excitement when thunder is in the air. Even I will admit that that is just a bit too weird!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

The squall line broke a Wind Gust record at my station in Waterford. Max gust was 87km/h at 21.57. Also a max hourly rain rate of 10.2mm was recorded. Didn't get a chance to check through the videos above but got reports on my Twitter of some crazy winds and rain in Waterford.

Data from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Great videos! Nowhere near as heavy here but similar intensity to the hail we got yesterday. Makes me wish I had a decent camera but being a lowly student I'm not in the position to be buying one, next year maybe :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Hmmmm...it seemed promising about 8pm - it started to rain and the wind got up.

But all we got were gusts to 35kph (at the around 8pm) and the total rain was 0.6mm!

Damp squib here I'm afraid.

It was all over before midnight; temp drop from 10c at 9.30pm to 6C at 11.30. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    had a similar situation earlier, my friend 400 yards down the road had power and the road over the wall had power. weirdest night ever

And the lightening tracker shows the spark over the southside, more over Donnybrooke.

AA Roadwatch: *CORK CITY* A lightning strike in the western part of Cork City last night has resulted in a large number of traffic lights being out of action. Lights are out on the South City Link Rd by the Park n’ Ride, at the Bishopstown Bar in Bishopstown, on the Western Rd by UCC, also at Victoria Cross by the bank and on Model Farm Rd and the Western Rd."

One giant rumble. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Hmmmm...it seemed promising about 8pm - it started to rain and the wind got up.

But all we got were gusts to 35kph (at the around 8pm) and the total rain was 0.6mm!

Damp squib here I'm afraid.

It was all over before midnight; temp drop from 10c at 9.30pm to 6C at 11.30. :(

Wild Bill, is that your own anenometer you've been quoting lately? If so then I would imagine it is located in a garden or something, and not the standard 10 metres, away from high obstacles, etc. Siting of instruments is highly important, especially anenometers, and urban gardens are very poor locations for an accurate representation of the local conditions, due to houses, trees, sheds, etc. disrupting and blocking the flow.

I would recommend that you move it to the chimney if possible, as at least there it will be somewhat more representable of what's going on, which last night, was pretty wild, and a lot more than 35 kph. My measured speeds tripled when I moved mine from the garden to the chimney.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    But all we got were gusts to 35kph (at the around 8pm) and the total rain was 0.6mm! (

I've a gust of 43.9 km/h @20:49 in a back garden situation which I've been observing for a while now.

My local airport shows 48 knts.

Now a thought has come to me from last night's squall and something I will watch from now on, my wind speed in km/h is closely following the local airport in knots.

Just a thought. My rain is half too and I had been relatively matching, my rain gauge clogs up often too though and if the memory bank is full in the receiving console, it won't record rain any-more either until it's emptied via software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We drove through an area yesterday which was badly affected by the 2009 flooding. After the rain on Monday the fields are all flooded. My friend made a short video which I am uploading as I type.

I would say the residents are praying for a cold winter.

here it is.

Strongest gusts yesterday: (knots)

Belmullet: 61
    Mace Head / Casement: 54
    Malin Head: 52
    Finner Camp: 50
    Sherkin Island / Roches Point: 49
    Cork Apt: 48
    Valentia: 47
    Dublin Apt: 46
    Shannon Apt / Knock Apt: 44
    Johnstown Castle: 42
    Oak Park: 39
    Mullingar / Claremorris / Gurteen / Ballyhaise: 35

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

awaits critisism

Pretty much the same scenes around here though not quite as bad.

Loved the whistling! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Pitch beside flood plains of the Shannon in Athlone:

2vtqr9z.jpg

Pretty much the same scenes around here though not quite as bad.

Loved the whistling! :D

:o only listened to it with the sound on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Strongest gusts yesterday: (knots)

Belmullet: 61
    Mace Head / Casement: 54
    Malin Head: 52
    Finner Camp: 50
    Sherkin Island / Roches Point: 49
    Cork Apt: 48
    Valentia: 47
    Dublin Apt: 46
    Shannon Apt / Knock Apt: 44
    Johnstown Castle: 42
    Oak Park: 39
    Mullingar / Claremorris / Gurteen / Ballyhaise: 35

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

Guessed a gust about that speed came through here, nearly lost my phone opening the window! haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

:o only listened to it with the sound on now!
    but it down tothe wind on the window:D:D

183353.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

I drove through an area yesterday which was badly affected by the 2009 flooding. After the rain on Monday the fields are all flooded. I made a short video which I am uploading as I type.

I would say the residents are praying for a cold winter.

here it is.

awaits critisism

I would probbaly delete this as it looks like you were driving while taking this. Dangerous driving. I know people have been caught following similiar posts. big brother is watching folks.

Aug2009 wrote: »
    I would probbaly delete this as it looks like you were driving while taking this. Dangerous driving. I know people have been caught following similiar posts. big brother is watching folks.

I wasn't holding the camera, officer, so what's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Aug2009 wrote: »

You a Garda :D

Su Campu wrote: »
    Wild Bill, is that your own anenometer you've been quoting lately? If so then I would imagine it is located in a garden or something, and not the standard 10 metres, away from high obstacles, etc. Siting of instruments is highly important, especially anenometers, and urban gardens are very poor locations for an accurate representation of the local conditions, due to houses, trees, sheds, etc. disrupting and blocking the flow.

I would recommend that you move it to the chimney if possible, as at least there it will be somewhat more representable of what's going on, which last night, was pretty wild, and a lot more than 35 kph. My measured speeds tripled when I moved mine from the garden to the chimney.

Yup.

It's in the middle of an area of grass (I hesitate to say "lawn"!) and is about 3m above ground.

Problem is it appears to be stuck to the thermometer and the rest of the gear, which I am told should be located 1.2m above the ground. :confused:

Any ideas on how to resolve this are welcome!

It is a Davis Vantage Pro2 - if that means anything to you old weather dogs.

Of course if I had another Vantage Pro I could put it on the roof. But they are expensive.

All donations to the Wild Bill Second Anemometer Fund, c/o Boards.ie.
    (Minimum accepted €5) :cool:

Advertisement