Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy rain and strong winds Monday night -Wednesday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Satellite gone here too. Lashing. Severe gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Seriously windy and rainy in Athlone ATM.

Chat with us online, details here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭mountain

Bit of lightning 10 minutes ago down in west Cork

Some nice flashes at galley head, west cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely BUCKETING down here in Cork City and I mean BUCKETING! Rain and wind is unreal! Dangerous driving conditions I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

3 or 4 flashes of lightning here in cork city, wind speeds really picking up , there will defo be some fallen trees etc tonight.

• Advertisement

Just read on aa roadwatch website that there two roads in cork closed after 2 fatal collisions :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Few flashes of lightning down carrigaline direction too,heavy rain atm. Bugger satellite is just gone, its lashing now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Can confirm, thunder and lightening in Cork city! Will have video up soon:D

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Can confirm, thunder and lightening in Cork city! Will have video up soon:D

That must have been what I heard earlier so! Thought it was an almighty gust of wind!! Never saw the lighting tho :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

leahyl wrote: »
    That must have been what I heard earlier so! Thought it was an almighty gust of wind!! Never saw the lighting tho :-)

7 or 8 flashes, so not quite a "thunderstorm", but still the best I've seen in 2 years.
    The wind and rain got ridiculous for about 5 minutes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭largepants

Missing all the action in East Cork so. I'm staring longingly out the patio door and no thunder or lighting. Jeez the wind is picking up big time. I'm in an exposed area tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

largepants wrote: »
    Missing all the action in East Cork so. I'm staring longingly out the patio door and no thunder or lighting. Jeez the wind is picking up big time. I'm in an exposed area tho.

Make sure those large pants don't act as a sail :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Dont worry, Its on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

A nice flash of lightning down in Cobh 2 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

riggerman wrote: »
    A nice flash of lightning down in Cobh 2 minutes ago
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Savage heavy rain here in South Kerry tonight, cloud lightning without thunder also, the rain was so heavy that it flooded my driveway within half an hour and it was the heaviest rain I have seen since I was in Thailand this spring when I saw tropical monsoonal rains. A similar situation to 2009 and after about a week of awful heavy rain we then entered the grip of the first big freeze up.

Take it all back. Saw that flash. Lovely fork lightning. T'was fairly severe for a few minutes there. My largepants are still intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭riggerman

Second flash in Cobh . Im one happy weather bunny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest strikes (you may need a magnifying glass to see them)

183260.PNG

Cork is where it's at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Cork Airport Metar, 2100. Recent thunderstorm.

EICK 302100Z 23016G48KT 9999 -RA FEW007 BKN011 BKN035 06/05 Q0999 RETS NOSIG=

• Advertisement

Deep Easterly, could you point me in the direction of where to find that info please.

Deep Easterly, could you point me in the direction of where to find that info please.

Here you go Largepants
    183262.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/beta/weather/observations/

Click on the 'Lightning' tab in the right hand panel and then zoom to whatever area you want to zoom over. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Couple of strikes being picked up in west Cork in the last 10 minutes alright:

EDIT: Snap Redsteve!

I prefer your image, much more accurate. Is it freely available on met office website?

Just saw your reply to the man in the pants.

Cheers Deep Easterly. Happy days.

The 2100 met.ie report for Cork Airport (154 m) says Sleet/Thunder.

I prefer your image, much more accurate. Is it freely available on met office website?

Yep, here http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/beta/weather/observations/

The actual site is a bit finicky and may not work that well if you are using firefox (not working on FF 8 anyway). Best used in IE.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Su Campu wrote: »
    The 2100 met.ie report for Cork Airport (154 m) says Sleet/Thunder.

Saw that.....NOAA just reporting light rain for Cork AP at 2100?

Could be melted hail? Hard to belive sleet at 6c DP 5c?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Lots of hail earlier in Cork with about 4 or 5 flashes of thunder.
    Cleared now.
    Sleet doubtful I would think

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Saw that.....NOAA just reporting light rain for Cork AP at 2100?

Could be melted hail? Hard to belive sleet at 6c DP 5c?

NOAA would most likely be reporting from the metar, which gives light rain. The met.ie observation will be from the synop, which will give reference to the weather of the past hour, giving preference to the worst first. So there was probably some sleet in the thundery band that passed through, and now it's just light rain. Will have to see the actual synop (available at midnight) to see what exactly what was reported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Su Campu wrote: »
    NOAA would most likely be reporting from the metar, which gives light rain. The met.ie observation will be from the synop, which will give reference to the weather of the past hour, giving preference to the worst first. So there was probably some sleet in the thundery band that passed through, and now it's just light rain. Will have to see the actual synop (available at midnight) to see what exactly what was reported.

Thanks. You really do learn something every day!

Advertisement