Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I am looking to change from my Pegasus 36's as my Daily Trainer and looking at some options, and peoples opinions of the following or suggestions. I run about 40-50 miles a week.

New Balance Fuelcell Propel
    Hoka Rincon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

boydkev wrote: »
    I am looking to change from my Pegasus 36's as my Daily Trainer and looking at some options, and peoples opinions of the following or suggestions. I run about 40-50 miles a week.

New Balance Fuelcell Propel
    Hoka Rincon
    Unless you're unhappy with them I'd stay with the Pegs. Great shoe for a daily trainer and you can pick it up at a reasonable price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭big_drive

Guys, could anyone recommend a new pair of shoes for me.
    Got a pair fitted around 3 years ago in the Edge sports in Cork. Was told I over pronate and needed a stability pair. They sold me Mizuno Wave Connect. Found them fine and comfortable and never got the Achilles pain I used to get prior to that so seemed to suit me very well.
    I’m a very casual runner , maybe 30 mins three times a week. I just run for general health,nothing too serious.
    Could anyone recommend something on a budget of approx €70
    Open to any brand, style, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

big_drive wrote: »
    Guys, could anyone recommend a new pair of shoes for me.
    Got a pair fitted around 3 years ago in the Edge sports in Cork. Was told I over pronate and needed a stability pair. They sold me Mizuno Wave Connect. Found them fine and comfortable and never got the Achilles pain I used to get prior to that so seemed to suit me very well.
    I’m a very casual runner , maybe 30 mins three times a week. I just run for general health,nothing too serious.
    Could anyone recommend something on a budget of approx €70
    Open to any brand, style, etc

If you get out to ASICS in Kildare, I’m a big fan of the Kayanos. You can get the Kayano 24s for about 90 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Unless you're unhappy with them I'd stay with the Pegs. Great shoe for a daily trainer and you can pick it up at a reasonable price too.

I am finding my feet are getting a bit beaten up with them, I am also considering going back to the Vomero 14 as i had them between going from Peg 35 to the Peg 36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Anyone else buy shoes on the Nike website over the holidays? Bought a couple of pairs on Stephens' Day and the order hasn't even been processed yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

healy1835 wrote: »
    Anyone else buy shoes on the Nike website over the holidays? Bought a couple of pairs on Stephens' Day and the order hasn't even been processed yet....

They are either catching up or caught up with Black Friday offers, you might have to wait a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I ordered a pair of Pegasus 36 on 26th Dec, the delivery was due 3rd Jan. They didn't arrive. I logged into my account and went on and used their online chat today, i was told my order was still in prepping stage they would escalate. I never had this problem before with Nike. I am now waiting on new e-mail with delivery info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hi all Peg lovers. How is the 36 for upper fit? I got the 35 last year. Got 260m total out of them but heavy use as did all my tempo run and eventually ran the marathon in them. I found them great but just too narrow. I had regular blisters from toes mushed together and while the marathon went well my feet were seriously blistered.

I'd give them another go if the upper was a bit roomier or of they did a wide size?

Currently run general miles in the NB Beacon 2 which fits my foot well. Just looking for an alternative to rotate in. I'm a mid sole outside strike and use neutral light cushioned shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I suspect you might have the same issues. The toebox is pretty similar in the 36 (I've worn both 35 & 36).. I wonder would hoka be worth considering? Or the Asics Dynaflyte I find a nice runner, probably a little more roomy than the pegasus but a little heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thanks P. If the toebox is similar then not for me. Never run in Hoka but I've watched some reviews. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi all Peg lovers. How is the 36 for upper fit? I got the 35 last year. Got 260m total out of them but heavy use as did all my tempo run and eventually ran the marathon in them. I found them great but just too narrow. I had regular blisters from toes mushed together and while the marathon went well my feet were seriously blistered.

I'd give them another go if the upper was a bit roomier or of they did a wide size?

Currently run general miles in the NB Beacon 2 which fits my foot well. Just looking for an alternative to rotate in. I'm a mid sole outside strike and use neutral light cushioned shoes
    I suspect you might have the same issues. The toebox is pretty similar in the 36 (I've worn both 35 & 36).. I wonder would hoka be worth considering? Or the Asics Dynaflyte I find a nice runner, probably a little more roomy than the pegasus but a little heavier.

Women's fit here so slightly different i guess but i have the Pegs 36 and the Hoka Clifton 6. I find the pegs roomier than the Hokas but i believe Hokas do a specific wide fit shoe if you can find it. Have you tried wearing a thinner sock? My Brooks Ghosts are a bit snug and were rubbing slightly giving me a blister so i switched to wear an ultra light sock (Feetures ultra light) with them and it solved the problem. It's been so mild lately too i find the ultra light socks are enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Thanks P. If the toebox is similar then not for me. Never run in Hoka but I've watched some reviews. Hmmm

Hokas are far far narrower than the Pegasus so I don't think they'll work for you

Hokas are far far narrower than the Pegasus so I don't think they'll work for you

Yes but they have wide options

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭BOB81

Have a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 15s - and just bought a pair of Brooks transcend 6 (elverys sale) as my alternate pair. Had to go up a half size in the Brooks but very comfortable out of the box from the first couple of runs in them. Will try them out on a long run this weekend

What mileage would you generally expect to get out of a pair of decent runners? Or does anyone have experience with how hard wearing Brooks are as a brand? Obviously weight and running style will affect wear but any general thoughts would be welcome

Have done 250 miles in the mizunos and expect to clock up another 700+ miles by the end of May (Cork Marathon) - so hoping I'll be covered with the 2 pairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think you have to take into account a few different things. The type of shoe, you'll get less mileage out of a racer. The surface you run on, if you run more on grass or maintenance surfaces you'll get more mileage than on road. How often you use them, if you are using the same shoe every day and it's not fully dryed out it can reduce the life span of them. If you are drying on radiators instead of taking out the sole and hanging them up to dry naturally etc. Taking that into account I've got nearly 1000km out of Mizuno wave inspire and only got 500km out of New Balance 1500s. I think on average I get around 700km to 900km on most general running shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I got about 550miles out of Nike Epic React. Nike Vomero will go similar. Solar Boost will go above 500.
    I had 2 pairs of DS trainers that both went close to 600m in the past.

I got about 550miles out of Nike Epic React. Nike Vomero will go similar. Solar Boost will go above 500. I had 2 pairs of DS trainers that both went close to 600m in the past.

What's your verdict on the epic react?

I'm on pair #5......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've a pair too. Really comfy, the react foam gives you a good bouncy energy return

• Advertisement

Got close to 900k out of each of the first 3 pairs. Mostly all easy mileage in them, but would have worn them on most of my LRs too, so they can go at a clip when needed to. Wouldn't stand up to a speed session imo, and grip is not fantastic in really wet conditions.

Great shoe though, and the difference between the first iteration and the Epic React 2 is negligible, so if you see a pair of OG Epic Reacts floating around at a bargain price, snap them up.

healy1835 wrote:
    Great shoe though, and the difference between the first iteration and the Epic React 2 is negligible, so if you see a pair of OG Epic Reacts floating around at a bargain price, snap them up.

Ordered. 75 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hello! I come to planet earth with greetings. I come from a world where there is more than one shoe company. I would just like to say hi :D:D

skyblue46 wrote:
    Hello! I come to planet earth with greetings. I come from a world where there is more than one shoe company. I would just like to say hi

Hi.... Show me your cheap offers please..... I have many moneys to waste from santa.

Hi.... Show me your cheap offers please..... I have many moneys to waste from santa.

Haha...no I'll leave you sending your Santa money to help fund the airbrushing of Kara Goucher and Mary Cain.

skyblue46 wrote:
    Haha...no I'll leave you sending your Santa money to help fund the airbrushing of Kara Goucher and Mary Cain.

Haha. If only I bought my runners based on ethics. In fairness the Nikes I've worn are by far the most comfortable both for regular miles and racing. 75 quid is hard to pass up for a regular miles runner. And I've tried Saucony, Adidas, Asics.

Haha. If only I bought my runners based on ethics. In fairness the Nikes I've worn are by far the most comfortable both for regular miles and racing. 75 quid is hard to pass up for a regular miles runner. And I've tried Saucony, Adidas, Asics.

I'll leave you at it. This thread isn't the place. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I got about 550miles out of Nike Epic React. Nike Vomero will go similar. Solar Boost will go above 500.
    I had 2 pairs of DS trainers that both went close to 600m in the past.

Bought a pair of Vomero 14s for the bulk of my training last year. Put 1,000km+ on them before putting them out to pasture.

Thought they were excellent; wonderfully comfortable over longer distances at lower to medium paces. Have waited a bit but doesn't look as though Nike are updating them this year? Some old stock still showing up in odd colours and sizes at good prices, might dip in again at some stage over next few days and pick up another pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Got close to 900k out of each of the first 3 pairs. Mostly all easy mileage in them, but would have worn them on most of my LRs too, so they can go at a clip when needed to. Wouldn't stand up to a speed session imo, and grip is not fantastic in really wet conditions.

Just picked up a pair of the original epic react for €55, looking forward to trying them for recovery runs

• Advertisement

Just picked up a pair of the original epic react for €55, looking forward to trying them for recovery runs

Online?? :)

Advertisement