Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭overpronator

Been breaking in my first pair of Adios 4. An absolutely amazing shoe for me, fits true to size, know others have had issues there. Had been using the Mizuno hitogami for a good few years but it got killed off. Had issues with the Sonic, so called replacement

It makes me curious about their other takumi variants of flats for say 5k, as the adios feels like a decent amount of shoe, feel like I could do a fair amount of easy volume in the adios, 90 mins easy long run at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Been breaking in my first pair of Adios 4. An absolutely amazing shoe for me, fits true to size, know others have had issues there. Had been using the Mizuno hitogami for a good few years but it got killed off. Had issues with the Sonic, so called replacement

It makes me curious about their other takumi variants of flats for say 5k, as the adios feels like a decent amount of shoe, feel like I could do a fair amount of easy volume in the adios, 90 mins easy long run at least.

In a similar boat to yourself - bought a pair of Adios 4 a few weeks back (picked up a pair for €90 on probikekit) and have been very slowly breaking them in. A little snug fit but will give them a proper go for a 26k this weekend before making the decision to go with them or stick with the old reliable Wave Riders for the DCM.

Loving the sleek profile of them though and they've felt pretty fast on some of the shorter tempo runs I've done to date on them anyway. Just couldn't contemplate spending the €185 extra for a pair of the Vaporflys; think the Adios a more than adequate alternative based on experience to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

I wore the Nike Vapourfly 4% today for the 1st time.
    I managed 4 individual miles under 6 minutes, I have never ran that fast before.
    As Party guinness said in a previous post you do a get an initial bounce in new trainers.

Slight downside a bit of a burn on the sole of one foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Has anyone ran in the Pegasus shield, they are supposed to add a little bit more protection from the wet with better grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Have started running a small bit lately and would like to keep it up. Currently doing couch25k again but this time I want to progress onto 10k and maybe even a 1/2 marathon in 2020. Looking to get myself a Christmas present of runners. What's my best option for <€100. Slow runner 7mins/km

Have found the following that I like the look of
    SAUCONY FREEDOM ISO 2 - 70euro
    Mizuno Wave Sonic 2 - 72 euro
    Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 - 76euro
    Mizuno Wave Shadow 2 - 84 euro
    Saucony Liberty ISO - 84euro
    Nike Epic React FlyKnit 2 - 90euro
    Mizuno Waveknit R2- 95euro

Any thoughts on the above or suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have started running a small bit lately and would like to keep it up. Currently doing couch25k again but this time I want to progress onto 10k and maybe even a 1/2 marathon in 2020. Looking to get myself a Christmas present of runners. What's my best option for <€100. Slow runner 7mins/km

Have found the following that I like the look of
    SAUCONY FREEDOM ISO 2 - 70euro
    Mizuno Wave Sonic 2 - 72 euro
    Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 - 76euro
    Mizuno Wave Shadow 2 - 84 euro
    Saucony Liberty ISO - 84euro
    Nike Epic React FlyKnit 2 - 90euro
    Mizuno Waveknit R2- 95euro

Any thoughts on the above or suggestions.

Pegasus is a great all round neutral runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

4Ad wrote: »
    I wore the Nike Vapourfly 4% today for the 1st time.
    I managed 4 individual miles under 6 minutes, I have never ran that fast before.
    As Party guinness said in a previous post you do a get an initial bounce in new trainers.

Slight downside a bit of a burn on the sole of one foot.

Sorry it is the Vaporfly Next% that I have...my bad...:o.

Just on that, I save them for races now and have not worn them since Chester marathon in October. The soles are showing wear..!

Back to On Cloud Flow for my day to day road runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Sorry it is the Vaporfly Next% that I have...my bad...:o.

Just on that, I save them for races now and have not worn them since Chester marathon in October. The soles are showing wear..!

Back to On Cloud Flow for my day to day road runs.
    What's the general consensus on how much mileage these take?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

pconn062 wrote:

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

yeah there's a few references on line

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9697734

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »

Agreed, and they are SO comfortable, shame they just dont last as long as the Brooks or Asics I have ran in previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭py

Any recommendations on neutral shoes for distances longer than a marathon on road surfaces? I was considering the Clifton 6 but looking for other options/opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I posted before looking for a new pair of runners and with sales coming up, I am still looking.

I had my eyes on pair of Hoka Rincon, but when I read a few reviews a lot mention they found them narrow and caused blisters. I moved on to looking at Nike now, anyone have pair of the Air zoom Pegasus 36? I do the majority of my training on the road surface.

Klopp wrote: »
    I posted before looking for a new pair of runners and with sales coming up, I am still looking.

I had my eyes on pair of Hoka Rincon, but when I read a few reviews a lot mention they found them narrow and caused blisters. I moved on to looking at Nike now, anyone have pair of the Air zoom Pegasus 36? I do the majority of my training on the road surface.

I do most of my road running in the Pegasus 35's. Great fitting they are SO comfortable..
    New pair going on tomorrow !

They dont last as long as previous brands I have run in, such as asics and brooks.
    I'd imagine the 36's would be equally as good.

Sportsshoes are advertising them 70-80 euros, i think.

Klopp wrote:

Can't really go wrong with pegasus 36. Lovely runner.

4Ad wrote: »
    I do most of my road running in the Pegasus 35's. Great fitting they are SO comfortable..
    New pair going on tomorrow !

They dont last as long as previous brands I have run in, such as asics and brooks.
    I'd imagine the 36's would be equally as good.

Sportsshoes are advertising them 70-80 euros, i think.
    Can't really go wrong with pegasus 36. Lovely runner.

I have come across Pegasus Turbo, Pegasus 36 and Nike Zoom fly 3. Anyone tell me difference apart the price or what they use and find more comfortable?

Klopp wrote:
    I have come across Pegasus Turbo, Pegasus 36 and Nike Zoom fly 3. Anyone tell me difference apart the price or what they use and find more comfortable?

I'd use the zoom fly for sessions or tempos but wouldn't wear them on a 20 mile training run if you get me. The pegasus I would. So it depends what you want to use the new trainers for. Not sure about the turbo. I think they're a bit more lightweight than the pegasus 36

I'd use the zoom fly for sessions or tempos but wouldn't wear them on a 20 mile training run if you get me. The pegasus I would. So it depends what you want to use the new trainers for. Not sure about the turbo. I think they're a bit more lightweight than the pegasus 36

Thanks. I went for a pair of Pegasus 36 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Klopp wrote: »
    Womens fit here but I have the pegasus air zoom 36 and pegasus turbo 35. As P said the Turbo are lighter. I wear them for speedwork and races. The Air zoom I wear for easy and long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Was looking for some new daily mileage runners, as I've been using the Zoom Fly 3 for a while now and whilst they are great for tempo and racing, they feel too stiff running easy.

Popped into the run hub and after trying on loads of shoes I settled for the New Balance 1080v10, love the fit of them and there is enough cushion, without having too much of a 'spongey' feel if that makes sense. Tried them out on a 10k and they feel even better, really happy with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Got a pair of the new 1080s aswell and loving them, needed a bit more cushion for the old bones!
    Agreed they are cushioned but not too sloppy....
    The midfoot is raised cradling the foot and the FreshFoam is slightly stiffer under the arch so even do its a Neutral shoe it offers some stability....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are the New Balance 1080 much different to the 880??

Will soon be retiring my current 880's and they seem to be very hard to find anywhere online lately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Are the New Balance 1080 much different to the 880??

Will soon be retiring my current 880's and they seem to be very hard to find anywhere online lately
    I went from 1080 to 880 to FF beacon 2. 2 pairs of each. All for daily mileage, easy stuff. The 880 was very versatile and could do the tempo if needed. If you need more cushioning the 1080 but its heavy. The 880 was a great show though v9 I dont have. The beacon is different, you run on the fresh foam so weight reduction on the rubber and the upper (very thin)make it a very light shoe. It's as light as some of my speed shoes but brill for daily easy miles. I even did beach runs and it was was so light when wet I barely noticed. It's not the shoe if you are looking for stability. Neutral, mid cushioning shoe that's a pleasure to run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What is the current thinking around shoes for speedwork? People seemed to go for racing flats with very little cushioning and a low heel drop.

Now it seems to be changing.

I run in the same shoe for everything. I do find the shoe gets heavy when wet so maybe I need a lighter pair. Just worried they won't give enough support as I underpronate a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Agreed the Beacon is a beautuful shoe to run in, gona use them for a bit of racing!
    The 880 is very versatile, did most if my Mara paced runs in them and raced my Maraton in them, dont wear racers or lightweight shoes for the longer races anymore....
    Happy with my half and full times in mid range shoes and the body is much happier after too......

What is the current thinking around shoes for speedwork? People seemed to go for racing flats with very little cushioning and a low heel drop.

Personally I have easy mile shoes (pegasus or dynaflyte) that I rotate on easy and long runs.

I wear racer shoes for sessions and races (zoomfly flyknit, zoom streak, adizero).

The 4% are purely for racing.

Are the 4% making much of a difference? Crazy amount of pink and luminous green shoes about. Tempted to buy but a lot of stock seems to be sold out.

I see the Zoom Fly has a carbon plate too.

I'll tell you Wednesday! I have only worn them once on an easy run to make sure they didn't cause any issues. First race in them on new years day. It's the 4% I have not the next%.
    What I will say is that easy run felt unusually easy but that could've just been a good day. I'm seeing fast times from friends of mine in them.

Edit: I'm still undecided how I feel about racing in them. I'd like to know improvements are from training not the shoe....

I have seen a few lads improve by a significant amount. A lot of times coming down across the board with people wearing them. I was wondering if they are an injury risk but if only worn for races I guess they should be fine.

The NY Times I think ran an article where they showed how various shoes performed based on strava data and the 4% was out on its own. It seems to be a well named shoe. Some people were reported as having a 10% improvement.

I guess if people continue to buy them the field will level out and all the brands will have their own version.

Here is the article
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/13/upshot/nike-vaporfly-next-percent-shoe-estimates.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Are the 4% making much of a difference? Crazy amount of pink and luminous green shoes about. Tempted to buy but a lot of stock seems to be sold out.

I see the Zoom Fly has a carbon plate too.

The 4% make a huge difference when racing. I've worn them in 3 races and ran 2 PB's.

I have a pair of the Zoom Fly 3 too. It's a good option for speedwork and tempos however I've worn it for racing and find it a little too heavy for a racing shoe

Advertisement