Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Unknownability

deisedude wrote: »
    Got a pair of Nike Epic React and Nike Zoom Fly 3 in the states. Interesting to see how the Zoom Fly is for racing

Where did you get them and approx price? Heading myself next and might pick up another pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Where did you get them and approx price? Heading myself next and might pick up another pair.

I was in Florida. Got the epic react in a Nike store outlet mall for $85

Got the Zoom fly 3 in a store called Finish Line for about $120 (think they are still €150 here). I think they are a chain

deisedude wrote: »
    I was in Florida. Got the epic react in a Nike store outlet mall for $85

Got the Zoom fly 3 in a store called Finish Line for about $120 (think they are still €150 here). I think they are a chain

Very good prices, I'll have a look in the outlets.

Did you see the vapourfly 4% by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next%- only got them last month and ran my first event yesterday- 20miler. Ran a few 10-15 milers in the last month. Bar a pair of Nike track spikes they are the first Nike running shoe I have ever bought.

I know mentally there is always an initial bounce when you get new runners but I am defo putting in faster times without noticing it. I have come off runs shocked at the quickness of the KMs and not even feeling it.

During the 20 miles event yesterday I did not get any cramps and the feet felt very fresh and feel quite good today- there was no soreness or even hint of the general soreness you get 19-20 miles in.

I ran the same event 2 years ago with more training behind me and I was in pieces at the end. Yesterday I may as well have ran a cheeky 10k. Even my buddy who I met at the line remarked that I seemed unusually fresh. I put down the last 2 miles in less than 14 minutes which is quick for me and didn't even feel it. Perhaps it was just a good day.

The shoes defo had way more to give if I kept going and I have two marathons lined up before the end of the year.

In fact as ridiculous as it sounds I am going too fast sometimes but they defo propel you forward.

Other than that I use On Cloudflow- on 3rd pair and love them. The Hoka Clifton 5 were disappointing compared to the Clifton 4 I had last year.

Party Guinness where did you get them?

• Advertisement

Party Guinness where did you get them?

Nike.com actually beginning of July now that I’ve checked the receipt.

£239.00 inc delivery. A bit embarrassed really to spend that money but I said feck it 6 mts of early Sunday mornings ahead and no social life I may as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

The Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next% are excellent I'd definitely recommend them, but they are over priced. I tried on the Hoka one one Bondi 6 and Clifton 6 over the weekend. They are a snug fit similar to Adidas. The Cliftons feel the nicer of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

boydkev wrote:
    I bought a pair of rincons hoping they would be a shoe i could wear for DCM. Tried my usual size 8 on and they were too small so went up to 8.5 and they seemed good. Brought them home and wore them around the house and i could feel that the side of my foot near my small toe felt crushed in the shoe. So i brought them back. I have since gotten a pair of Hoka Carbon X and they feel way more comfortable. Will be wearing them for their first run in the morning.

boydkev wrote:
    I also tried a pair of the Zoom Fly 3's and wore them for 2 runs (10 mile & 16 mile) and i sent them back as they felt terrible when running, They are very bottom heavy and i felt the balance was all wrong. Also the blisters i got were a problem.

Thanks for that, I nearly bought a pair of rincons last night with the plan to use them for Dublin, let us know what you think about the carbon X, the appeal with the rincon was the cushioning and they are very light

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LukFwd

Ran a half in the Rincon a few weeks ago. They are SUPER narrow even for a Hoka which tend to be narrow anyway. Got really bad blisters from them and I don't even have a wide foot. That's me done with Hokas now as I had a similar experience with the Clifton 2.

The Clifton’s are very very narrow. I have narrow feet and still find them too narrow. Is it possibly because in europe we only get a standard width option whereas in the US there seems to be different width options? I’ve found the Hoka Tracer 2 to be narrow also but a great shoe for shorter/faster runs

Has anyone ran in the Pegasus Turbo 2, as I said I don't know what to buy now for Dublin, I ran DCM last year in the Pegasus Turbo they were fine, but a little bit narrow.
    I did bring a pair of vaporfly 4% home from the US earlier this year and tried them out for the first time last week, they felt a bit unstable and I thought there was a bit of rubbing on one of my toes.

• Advertisement

LukFwd wrote: »
    The Clifton’s are very very narrow. I have narrow feet and still find them too narrow. Is it possibly because in europe we only get a standard width option whereas in the US there seems to be different width options? I’ve found the Hoka Tracer 2 to be narrow also but a great shoe for shorter/faster runs

I found my Hoka Clifton 5 defo narrower than the Clifton 4 I wore last year. Too narrow and as my right foot is wider than my left, my right foot gets numb. Basically I cant run in them at all comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LukFwd

I found my Hoka Clifton 5 defo narrower than the Clifton 4 I wore last year. Too narrow and as my right foot is wider than my left, my right foot gets numb. Basically I cant run in them at all comfortably.

It’s such a shame because the cushioning is brilliant and they aren’t heavy despite having all that cushion.

LukFwd wrote: »
    It’s such a shame because the cushioning is brilliant and they aren’t heavy despite having all that cushion.

Yeah. I was very happy with the Clifton 4 so just went straight to the Clifton 5 without any hesitation but nowhere near as effective.

I now just wear them to the track or gym (to take off). Even just walking in them I find myself adjusting my foot. I dont even lace them up- just too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I have the Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next%- only got them last month and ran my first event yesterday- 20miler. Ran a few 10-15 milers in the last month. Bar a pair of Nike track spikes they are the first Nike running shoe I have ever bought.

I know mentally there is always an initial bounce when you get new runners but I am defo putting in faster times without noticing it. I have come off runs shocked at the quickness of the KMs and not even feeling it.

During the 20 miles event yesterday I did not get any cramps and the feet felt very fresh and feel quite good today- there was no soreness or even hint of the general soreness you get 19-20 miles in.

I ran the same event 2 years ago with more training behind me and I was in pieces at the end. Yesterday I may as well have ran a cheeky 10k. Even my buddy who I met at the line remarked that I seemed unusually fresh. I put down the last 2 miles in less than 14 minutes which is quick for me and didn't even feel it. Perhaps it was just a good day.

The shoes defo had way more to give if I kept going and I have two marathons lined up before the end of the year.

In fact as ridiculous as it sounds I am going too fast sometimes but they defo propel you forward.

Other than that I use On Cloudflow- on 3rd pair and love them. The Hoka Clifton 5 were disappointing compared to the Clifton 4 I had last year.

I bought a pair aswell, yes the price is obscene, but I haven't been out out for a night out in nearly 4 months whilst training for Berlin marathon. I broke them in during a half two weeks ago and loved them. Can't see them lasting too long too, doubt they are too sturdy

Very good prices, I'll have a look in the outlets.

Did you see the vapourfly 4% by any chance?

I didnt see the 4% of Next% in either of the outlets I was in. You would probably find them in the newer Nike stores but doubt you would get them much cheaper than here

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

fennor72 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I nearly bought a pair of rincons last night with the plan to use them for Dublin, let us know what you think about the carbon X, the appeal with the rincon was the cushioning and they are very light

I bought the Carbon X and the Next% at the same time, tried them both out at home and sent the Carbon X straight back. They aren't anywhere near as "springy" as the Next% and I found the fit to be fairly sloppy on them. Lots of excess material in the toe box that gathers and creates hotspots when you lace them tight. Also, as per my comments on other Hokas, found them a touch narrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Has anyone ran in the Pegasus Turbo 2, as I said I don't know what to buy now for Dublin, I ran DCM last year in the Pegasus Turbo they were fine, but a little bit narrow.
    I did bring a pair of vaporfly 4% home from the US earlier this year and tried them out for the first time last week, they felt a bit unstable and I thought there was a bit of rubbing on one of my toes.

Yeah I got that unstable feeling on the vaporfly 4% also but got used to them fairly quickly.

Yeah I got that unstable feeling on the vaporfly 4% also but got used to them fairly quickly.

Yes you do get that feeling when you try them on and walk around the first time. Like you are standing on an elevated piece of narrow foam but like you no issue whatsoever when running and that initial feeling is quickly forgotten.

The only slight issue after a run is that the material on the back (against the Achilles) is quite high and it chaffed. I just have to make sure my sock is pulled up enough to cover it and no issue since.

So will I persist with the vaporfly 4% for DCM I suppose the problem is there is no breaking in period with them because you are always aware that the shoe breaks down so quickly.

So will I persist with the vaporfly 4% for DCM I suppose the problem is there is no breaking in period with them because you are always aware that the shoe breaks down so quickly.
    No need to break them in :cool:

• Advertisement

No need to break them in

So would you be confident enough to race with them after a couple of small runs

So would you be confident enough to race with them after a couple of small runs
    To be honest I'm only racing shorter distances these day 10k and less. But they feel so good I don't see any issues using them box fresh on longer races

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

What's the opinion on whether a new pair or runners would be needed for DCM?

Bought Glycerin 17 in July but have 350k on them (and I believe they are good for 700k(?) .. But with the final push on training for DCM I'm wondering would I need to buy a fresh pair before (open to suggestions on what) or are they typically solid up until that recommendation and then start breaking down.

I'll need all the help I can get so if I need new shoes, no issue getting them as the first few runs are always so comfortable with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

What's the opinion on whether a new pair or runners would be needed for DCM?

Bought Glycerin 17 in July but have 350k on them (and I believe they are good for 700k(?) .. But with the final push on training for DCM I'm wondering would I need to buy a fresh pair before (open to suggestions on what) or are they typically solid up until that recommendation and then start breaking down.

I'll need all the help I can get so if I need new shoes, no issue getting them as the first few runs are always so comfortable with them.

A fresh pair of runners is generally a good idea for a marathon. You generally want the runners to be not worn out and provide plenty of support. Older runners might have weak points that could become a problem at mile 22 or whatever. If you like the Glycerins, then get another pair. Do a long run in them before the marathon, and then enjoy the as-good-as-new runner smell on the day as a treat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have had the Zoom Fly 3 for a couple of weeks now, about 110 miles or so in them. Even tho they are the cheaper version of the NEXT%, you can still feel that plate working in the midsole. Although since starting with them, I have picked up a couple of niggles (not sure if these are contributing!!)

The sole of my left foot is really sore after a run, bruised like feeling almost. My ITB is acting up again and flaring up on the long runs since starting with these.

Other than that, I find them brilliant, I have very narrow feet and find them a great fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Have had the Zoom Fly 3 for a couple of weeks now, about 110 miles or so in them. Even tho they are the cheaper version of the NEXT%, you can still feel that plate working in the midsole. Although since starting with them, I have picked up a couple of niggles (not sure if these are contributing!!)

The sole of my left foot is really sore after a run, bruised like feeling almost. My ITB is acting up again and flaring up on the long runs since starting with these.

Other than that, I find them brilliant, I have very narrow feet and find them a great fit.
    I've had the same issue as well, ball of my feet are very sore after a long run.Great for the short stuff but I'll be going back to the reliable Pegasus Turbo's for the marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm a big fan of the Cloudflow also. Is the sizing the same for Nike as for the Cloudflow? What's the Nike equivelant of the Cloudflow? Curious to try a pair of Nike given how popular they've become. Cheers.

P.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of the Cloudflow also. Is the sizing the same for Nike as for the Cloudflow? What's the Nike equivelant of the Cloudflow? Curious to try a pair of Nike given how popular they've become. Cheers.

P.

The Nike Structure range has more cushioning if thats what you are looking for. Previous versions were very good but Nike Zoom Structure 22 feels very heavy. Not a fan at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Anyone seen any deals on Pegasus 36 online? Looking to pick up pair fairly sharp after reading the reviews and my existing runners being almost out of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

py wrote:
    Anyone seen any deals on Pegasus 36 online? Looking to pick up pair fairly sharp after reading the reviews and my existing runners being almost out of life.

80 quid on GAA store including postage

Advertisement