Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

deisedude wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for a decent pair of racers. Willing to pay up to €150

What have you been racing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

healy1835 wrote: »
    What have you been racing in?

I've been racing in a pair of Nike Downshifter 8 recently and while they are lightweight they are more of a budget shoe and not a racing shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Looking for a recommendation for a decent pair of racers. Willing to pay up to €150

https://www.newbalance.ie/en/pd/1400v6/M1400-V6.html#color=Black_with_Neon%20Emerald_and_Hi%20Lite&width=D

They look good, I've a pair of New Balance for casual wear and they are very comfy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice, what laces are those?

Hickies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Having a hard job breaking in a pair of saucony liberty iso. Got them with a view to using them for the Dublin marathon. I have been running in Adidas solar glide St and have used Adidas boost shoes for years. That's why I took a chance on the saucony because their new everun foam is supposed to be similar to the boost. They're nice and light and seem to fit very vell but I'm getting serious hotpots under the balls of both feet after only 5 or 6 miles. I'm a forefoot striker. Anybody got any suggestions about solving this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've been racing in a pair of Nike Downshifter 8 recently and while they are lightweight they are more of a budget shoe and not a racing shoe

From my own experience it's hard to beat the Nike Zoom Streaks (i've had a few pairs of the Zoom Streak 6). They're a great shoe and ive worn them from 5k up to the Marathon. They'd be a lot more cushioned for example than the likes of the Adidas Adios which i've had a couple of pairs of too.

The 7 is the latest model, but not too widely available over this direction for whatever reason. John Buckley Sports had them in stock when i looked a while back, but there's very little difference between the two models according to the reviews i've read. The 6's are still quite widely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

What’s the idea behind them? Recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Djoucer wrote: »
    What’s the idea behind them? Recommend?

Bit gimicky tbh, but I got them to experiement with a few pairs.
    The Reeboks while a fantastic shoe have sh1t laces and the shoe can feel sloppy when cornering at speed, these do provide a more secure fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

[PHP][/PHP]
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Bit gimicky tbh, but I got them to experiement with a few pairs.
    The Reeboks while a fantastic shoe have sh1t laces and the shoe can feel sloppy when cornering at speed, these do provide a more secure fit.

If you are wearing them tonight I'm not going, they look WAY too fast !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Had similar in the past, think it was on the saucony freedoms. It was due to shoe not being secure and causing friction. Change of lacing helped, use runners loop. Double layer socks are the solution to many problems also.

https://images.app.goo.gl/8XFEDZCyvqWPMHDe6

quote="Bahanaman;110852497"]Having a hard job breaking in a pair of saucony liberty iso. Got them with a view to using them for the Dublin marathon. I have been running in Adidas solar glide St and have used Adidas boost shoes for years. That's why I took a chance on the saucony because their new everun foam is supposed to be similar to the boost. They're nice and light and seem to fit very vell but I'm getting serious hotpots under the balls of both feet after only 5 or 6 miles. I'm a forefoot striker. Anybody got any suggestions about solving this?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

dna_leri wrote:
    Had similar in the past, think it was on the saucony freedoms. It was due to shoe not being secure and causing friction. Change of lacing helped, use runners loop. Double layer socks are the solution to many problems also.

Cheers dna... Was thinking it might be a friction thing alright but I feel I have a good lock down when I lace them on. I'll try the runner's loop next time. I tried the two socks last time out but still had the hot spots. Anyway it'll be a little while before I use them again as I've picked up a slight calf niggle. (which I am not blaming on the 4mm drop of the libertys!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Now replaced with these recent runners from Lidl which were amazingly only €12.99. I've covered 32k or so in them so far including pacing at the local parkrun & they seem fine. Will see how they go.

469633.jpg

An update on these after over 600km the sole is worn pretty much flat & they have zero cushioning left, realised this after doing ~25k in them after work last night & finding the soles of my feet sore today. Time for Mr Bin I think, guess €13 is too just a bit too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I got a pair of the regular Nike Zoom Fly earlier in the year in the Nike Outlet, found them great, found the collar of them a tiny bit high but only really bothered my left foot, whatever way my gait is.

I had my eye on the Pegasus Turbo 2, but after trying them on I didnt really like them, I have heard the first version were much better.
    Tried on the NEXT%, mad shoe, light as a feather and I would imagine they are smashing to run in, but I couldnt pay 275 for them.

The Zoom fly 3, basically the cheap version of the Next%, felt very nice on the feet and still have the carbon plate in the midsole for a bit of return, same as the Zoom Fly Flyknit, but they now have a new upper and slightly different foam in them, doubt you could tell the difference. Got them in Elverys for about 127, Three Customers get 15% off by the way! Looking forward to giving them a bash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Pegasus turbo are an excellent shoe.

Recently picked up Pegasus 36, 15% discount with Three as above, and first impressions are really impressive.

Feel v similar to turbo and much lighter than the 35s. Tongue is much thinner and feels snug all round. I really like them. Feel more like the turbo than the 35s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Djoucer wrote: »
    Pegasus turbo are an excellent shoe.

Recently picked up Pegasus 36, 15% discount with Three as above, and first impressions are really impressive.

Feel v similar to turbo and much lighter than the 35s. Tongue is much thinner and feels snug all round. I really like them. Feel more like the turbo than the 35s
    They just didn't fit well on my feet, I've very skinny feet and found zoom fly a better fit with the sock thing they have in the newer ones.

Might give the 36s a look for easy running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I have a pair of Pegasus 35s that I use for majority of training runs and then have a pair of Pegasus Turbos for racing - really like them both

Have been toying with the idea of VaporFlys but don't think I can justify the price of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Getting ready now to unleash my "new" Pegasus for Charleville and DCM (I got them on sale ages ago).

Just one question for Pegasus wearers - have you experienced any problems with grip/traction in the wet?

My current pair are mildly worn and I generally like them (having moved away from Asics Cumulus) but I've noticed that they're not great if the road is anyway wet at all :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

I have a pair of Pegasus 35s that I use for majority of training runs and then have a pair of Pegasus Turbos for racing - really like them both

Have been toying with the idea of VaporFlys but don't think I can justify the price of them
    You might want to rethink your username so ;)

I've worn the 35's and the Turbo's and haven't had an issue with the wet, probably because I'm not going too fast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Getting ready now to unleash my "new" Pegasus for Charleville and DCM (I got them on sale ages ago).

Just one question for Pegasus wearers - have you experienced any problems with grip/traction in the wet?

My current pair are mildly worn and I generally like them (having moved away from Asics Cumulus) but I've noticed that they're not great if the road is anyway wet at all :confused::confused:

No, I haven't had any major grip problems with either of my Pegasus runners

I'm going Charleville too :) - I did the Longford half there 2 weekends ago, found it okay but the Charleville one is supposed to be even better (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement

Just get the VaporFlys - you won't regret it! They are unreal, I have the Peg Turbos too and the VaporFlys are a different animal all together. I just use them for race days though as they don't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Cartman78 wrote: »

I had a pair of Pegasus 35 and found the grip to be poor. Stopped using them and went back to the Brooks launch and Reebok Floatride Run fast.

Will use the Reebok in Charleville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone run in the Hoka one one Bondi 6? I'm thinking of getting a cushioned shoe for the winter when I can't run on grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Anyone run in the Hoka one one Bondi 6? I'm thinking of getting a cushioned shoe for the winter when I can't run on grass

Interested in hearing thoughts too but more for the Clifton or Rincon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I was looking at them and they have better reviews but they are more responsive. I was thinking the Bondi as its more cushioned and I hope to increase my mileage over the winter and less opportunity to run on grass for recovery runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I was looking at them and they have better reviews but they are more responsive. I was thinking the Bondi as its more cushioned and I hope to increase my mileage over the winter and less opportunity to run on grass for recovery runs.

What put me off of the Bondi was they weigh 310g. The other two are 266g and 218g. I hate a heavy runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

I've ran in the clifton and the bondi, I've used the clifton for long mileage days and a few marathons. They are well cushioned runner that lasts ages. I don't have the clifton 6 but it's getting great reviews.
    I bought the bondi last year, it is very cushioned but I don't use them much, I find them clumpy, stiff and heavy on foot

Ran a half in the Rincon a few weeks ago. They are SUPER narrow even for a Hoka which tend to be narrow anyway. Got really bad blisters from them and I don't even have a wide foot. That's me done with Hokas now as I had a similar experience with the Clifton 2.

Got a pair of Nike Epic React and Nike Zoom Fly 3 in the states. Interesting to see how the Zoom Fly is for racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Ran a half in the Rincon a few weeks ago. They are SUPER narrow even for a Hoka which tend to be narrow anyway. Got really bad blisters from them and I don't even have a wide foot. That's me done with Hokas now as I had a similar experience with the Clifton 2.
    I bought a pair of rincons hoping they would be a shoe i could wear for DCM. Tried my usual size 8 on and they were too small so went up to 8.5 and they seemed good. Brought them home and wore them around the house and i could feel that the side of my foot near my small toe felt crushed in the shoe. So i brought them back. I have since gotten a pair of Hoka Carbon X and they feel way more comfortable. Will be wearing them for their first run in the morning.

I also tried a pair of the Zoom Fly 3's and wore them for 2 runs (10 mile & 16 mile) and i sent them back as they felt terrible when running, They are very bottom heavy and i felt the balance was all wrong. Also the blisters i got were a problem.

Advertisement