Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus daily and weekly Leap capping levels to be introduced before the 1st December

Daily
    Adult 6.90
    Student 5.00
    Child2.50
    Weekly
    Adult 27.50
    Student 20.00
    Child 8.20

Are student single leap fares being introduced?

Just wondering, as Irish Rail seems to have done so recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Dublin Bus daily and weekly Leap capping levels to be introduced before the 1st December

Daily
    Adult 6.90
    Student 5.00
    Child2.50

Weekly
    Adult 27.50
    Student 20.00
    Child 8.20

But the current daily student cap is €3.05 when using a 30 day student Rambler so is this not a large increase for students who typically go to college Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Will the weekly Dublin bus caps be for 5 days or 7? if 7, taking advantage of the cap may be better value than buying ramblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

cgcsb wrote: »
    Will the weekly Dublin bus caps be for 5 days or 7? if 7, taking advantage of the cap may be better value than buying ramblers.

7 days (Mon-Sun). The 3 Day Rambler is being discontinued next year so I'm unsure if that means there'll be 1,3 and 7 day caps. Here are the new Rambler costs from next week for comparison.

Adult
    1 Day Rambler 7.60
    3 Day Rambler 16.50
    5 Day Rambler 27.50
    30 Day Rambler 137.50

Student
    5 Day Rambler 20.00
    30 Day Rambler 100.00

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    But the current daily student cap is €3.05 when using a 30 day student Rambler so is this not a large increase for students who typically go to college Monday to Friday.

That isn't really comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

That isn't really comparing like with like.

ok..

current 30 day paper rambler costs 91.50

New Leap one costs 100 so an increase there

Also why have a cap. Surely when you tag on it deducts a days travel from the card (3.33). How would you get up to €5 for a day??

7 days (Mon-Sun). The 3 Day Rambler is being discontinued next year so I'm unsure if that means there'll be 1,3 and 7 day caps. Here are the new Rambler costs from next week for comparison.

Adult
    1 Day Rambler 7.60
    3 Day Rambler 16.50
    5 Day Rambler 27.50
    30 Day Rambler 137.50

Student
    5 Day Rambler 20.00
    30 Day Rambler 100.00

so effectively the 7 day cap will be better value than a rambler

so effectively the 7 day cap will be better value than a rambler

If you use it over 30 days yes. But a 30 day rambler could last you several months since its non-consecutive.

Edit: Unless you mean the 5 day then yeah the cap is better. I'd assume the 5 day will be discontinued at some point but it isn't listed on the fare determination.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    ok..

current 30 day paper rambler costs 91.50

New Leap one costs 100 so an increase there

Also why have a cap. Surely when you tag on it deducts a days travel from the card (3.33). How would you get up to €5 for a day??

30 Day Paper will be €100 from 1st November.

Products and the ePurse are different things. A product doesn't use your cash balance. i.e. 1 Day is deducted not 3.33.

A cap exists so you do not have to plan in advance and purchase a ticket. It is a great way of saving money without having to have paid in advance. It is the best feature of Leap to date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 WilburWhately

...regarding BE implementation, was talking to one of the drivers - one of the ones who actually takes his job seriously - and he told me they still haven't been trained ... while the BE complaints office insist they have... this is what...two, three weeks after the service has supposedly been rolled out on all commuter routes..?. i wish any of this came as a surprise..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

...regarding BE implementation, was talking to one of the drivers - one of the ones who actually takes his job seriously - and he told me they still haven't been trained ... while the BE complaints office insist they have... this is what...two, three weeks after the service has supposedly been rolled out on all commuter routes..?. i wish any of this came as a surprise..

What I was told is that when the new Wayfarer machines were introduced last year, the drivers were all trained then. They probably were, but most have probably forgotten. I know if I was shown how to do something a good while ago, but didn't get to practice, and was asked to do it several months later, I most likely wouldn't remember what to do.

Some drivers were trained recently, the first day I tried to use Leap was the day after the announcement, and the driver told me he had been shown what to do the day before.

Any one hit the Dublin Bus cap today. I noticed the first but I boarded this morning had the cap set at 6.90. However, the next bus I got on 12.90 was displayed (after a 2.10 fare earlier) so it probably wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any one hit the Dublin Bus cap today. I noticed the first but I boarded this morning had the cap set at 6.90. However, the next bus I got on 12.90 was displayed (after a 2.10 fare earlier) so it probably wasn't working.

The second bus hasn't been updated yet.

Victor wrote: »
    The second bus hasn't been updated yet.

But wasn't it suppose to launch today? It still says 4th November in the new fares news on DB page. If buses aren't updated yet is this why there is a severe lack of information available on either DB or the Leap site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

At last ...DB daily capping.

AngryLips wrote: »
    At last ...DB daily capping.

Been working for week now. I've hit both the daily and weekly cap and it works perfectly. Looking forward to multi operator capping and hopefully transfer cap (travel 90) next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

......hopefully transfer cap (travel 90) next month.

+1 to this. Do you know if DB are definitely bringing this to the Leap card next month?

SteM wrote: »
    +1 to this. Do you know if DB are definitely bringing this to the Leap card next month?

Mutli operator transfer caps are coming next month. I am only assuming/hoping we will get some sort of transfer cap for DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Mutli operator transfer caps are coming next month.

Indeed they are, the NTA just released this press release:
    The Authority has determined that the Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann and Luas multi-operator approved fare capping rates can be implemented from the 9th December 2013 and must be implemented by the 15th January 2014, unless there are technical reasons why this cannot be done.

Adult multi-operator cap will be €10 per day or €40 per week. There are also student an child caps. And some extra information:
    Fare capping and the benefits of the new feature will be available to customers who use a Leap card to pay for their Iarnród Éireann journeys in the Dublin area Short Hop Zone that includes all stations between Balbriggan, Greystones/Kilcoole, Maynooth and Hazelhatch.

All Luas services will contribute towards the cap.

Regarding the higher cost special Dublin Bus services, i.e. Nitelink, Xpresso Zone 2 and the Outer Suburban Zone 2 fares, a flat fare of €2.50 will be allocated to the cap for adults and students and €1.15 will be allocated to the Child cap for those services.

Dublin Bus’ Airlink, tours, special events and private contract services will not be included in the Leap fares cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The NTA has announced the daily capping of all Public Transport Operators in the Dublin Region.

The Daily Capping Amounts are as follows

Adults €10 a day = €40 a week
    Students €7.50 a day = €30 a week
    Children €3.50 a day = €14 a week

It will be in force from next month (December).

Full announcement here.

http://6311664e1a241bd4b58f-3999d26af054d711e4557be72bd8ff23.r3.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Leap-Card-Multi-Operator-Capping.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

So €2080 a year for Bus+Rail+Luas with the Leap card, that's a crazy price.

will using one's leap card in order to get a second person on a bus contribute anyhting towards an individual's cap?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Polar101 wrote: »

Currently €2180 to buy that ticket. Pretty much the only thing this is cheaper than the existing rates for. And quite significantly dearer if you do it as Taxsaver.

Will the existing single operator caps remain also? I pretty much only use trains, and could exceed 35.50 in a week where I took the train every day then went in on a weekend. Won't hit 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Is it though?
    I'm sure if you break it down, its probably going to save a few people a good few euros

Údarás Náisiúnta Iompair, National Transport Authority

Leap Card users to benefit from new “Maximum Fare” for their Public Transport use
    12th November 2013

The National Transport Authority announced today (November 12, 2013) that maximum daily and weekly public transport fares will apply for Leap Card users as follows:

Adult (€10 per day / €40 per week), student (€7.50 / €30), child (€3.50 / €14)

These Caps will kick-in when a Leap Card user hits that maximum amount, no matter whether they have been using Dublin Bus, Luas, DART or Commuter Rail, and the Cap will be in place next month (December).

Click here for more about the Cap for Leap Card on Public Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Disappointing to see no multi operator capping equivalent of the Travel90 product.

Disappointing to see no multi operator capping equivalent of the Travel90 product.
    Transfer fares will happen at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That will be another phase - the Travel90 has yet to migrate.

To be fair, we've seen single operator capping launched and period passes launched in quick succession, and fairly soon we should see multi-operator capping and auto-top up launched.

There will be a bedding-in period for all of this.

I'd say sometime next year we will see travel rebates for single trips.

As I've repeatedly said - it's a phased project. Better to get each part working properly and any post-implementation glitches ironed out first before embarking on the next phase.

• Advertisement

Realistically, it would be less than that, as most people would take a few weeks off. Now, how does it compare to a Bus+Rail+Luas annual ticket?
    will using one's leap card in order to get a second person on a bus contribute anyhting towards an individual's cap?
    No.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Will the existing single operator caps remain also?
    Yes. Only introduced on Dublin Bus this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement