Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

45% down in past 12 months to the day. Madness Ted.

Of course, I meant sub €4.00.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dinarius wrote: »

D.

No I know ! Just saying, didn't mean to quote reply ha.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

45% down in past 12 months to the day. Madness Ted.

D.

The comfortable zone for a bank P/E is around 7, that would give a price of somewhere around €3! It is hard to find any reason why BOI should be touching 10, so no one should be surprised if it falls further.....

It traded below €4, so we’re probably going back there now.

D.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The comfortable zone for a bank P/E is around 7, that would give a price of somewhere around €3!

Hard to argue with that.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

3.85 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Wheety wrote: »
    3.85 now

How much lower will they drop ????
    After the housing/banking collapse in 2008 how low did BoI sink .I think they bottomed out around 8 cent so that would put €2.40 on them when they were nearly bankrupt .Are we heading in that direction again .Does them in the know reckon that with no deal brexit ,we will have another mighty collapse in property and major loan default .Surely the banks learnt something from the last recession!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cute geoge wrote: »
    How much lower will they drop ????
    After the housing/banking collapse in 2008 how low did BoI sink .I think they bottomed out around 8 cent so that would put €2.40 on them when they were nearly bankrupt .Are we heading in that direction again .Does them in the know reckon that with no deal brexit ,we will have another mighty collapse in property and major loan default .Surely the banks learnt something from the last recession!!!

Got to 5 cents in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

they are now just under 13c before the 30-1 and the bank is in better shape new boss, IT. and higher profits

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How much of it is related to Brexit, we've gone from 50,000 job losses to 100,000 in a week. I assume a lot in farming, food processing and dare I say it farm and housing defaults like we've never seen. How much exposure have they between that and their English arm? How much sterling are they holding, Paddy power is only giving 5/4 on euro and sterling being equal some time in 2019.

• Advertisement

they are now just under 13c before the 30-1 and the bank is in better shape new boss, IT. and higher profits

Massive shorting

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Massive shorting

On the back of a massive reality check. So, why wouldn't the shorters jump on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

On the back of a massive reality check. So, why wouldn't the shorters jump on board?

The insiders know something is up , a slow rolling recession started last autumn .

Because the shorters are exploiting the slow building fear surrounding brexit. That fear still has room to grow, this creates fear which causes retail to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Bank is having massive problems with the IT change over was told today for the last couple of weeks, i am having constant problems accessing funds they said there is a bug in the system that limits and prevents international transfers have to take a load a cash out when i go abroad in case it gets totally buggered just like its SP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Down to €3.60 ,this looks like total armageddon ,anyone here one still foolish enough to gamble .I am still tempted will it drop to €3 .It is in free fall now with over a month

cute geoge wrote: »
    Down to €3.60 ,this looks like total armageddon ,anyone here one still foolish enough to gamble .I am still tempted will it drop to €3 .It is in free fall now with over a month
    v
    Another 2.5% of BofI disappeared today.

Quite a capitulation over the last two months.

According to Saturday's Irish Times, p/e is around 7 at these levels.

Takeover territory?

D.

v
    Another 2.5% of BofI disappeared today.

Quite a capitulation over the last two months.

According to Saturday's Irish Times, p/e is around 7 at these levels.

Takeover territory?

D.

Why in heaven’s name would you want to take over a bank that makes its profit in all the wrong places and is only on offer at an average P/E?

Down 6.5% as I write.

Certainly the biggest one-day fall this year.

Is it the biggest one-day fall since the big bust 10 years ago?

Ouch!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Down 6.5% as I write.

Certainly the biggest one-day fall this year.

Is it the biggest one-day fall since the big bust 10 years ago?

Ouch!

D.

The Irish banks and Irish economy have little defence against what is coming .

• Advertisement

Just closed down at its low for the day on huge volume.

Will be interesting to see if the Irish Times poor market coverage finally wakes up to this one. They seem to specialize in understatement. "Banks were under pressure yesterday..." etc.. Tanking, I'd say.

D.

Unbelievable performance. No alarm bells in the media.

Did any economist / broker call this correct in the past 12 months ?

That's a fairly horrendous sell off today. I may stick to BTC for now.

Unbelievable performance. No alarm bells in the media.

That's a fairly horrendous sell off today. I may stick to BTC for now.

There is no proper market coverage here. IT is a joke.

If today’s tanking doesn’t prompt a proper market report, nothing will.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No but by Jesus did Davy get it wrong...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-top-pick-in-banking-sector-for-davy-1.3599208%3fmode=amp

Shows Davy don't have a clue about anything at the end of the day.

Might start my own financial forecasting firm.

IT appears to be reactive to news as opposed to putting any foresight into the mix. At the end of the day I suppose they are only journalists - paid to write.

Of course they got it wrong. Think about it for a minute: that analysts job consists of making predictions and then punishing the stock when their predictions are wrong. And they never get called out on it.
    “H1 2018 results, showing lending growth and cost reduction, provided early evidence of progress in BOI’s recently announced strategy,” said Davy.

This should tell you that the author knows SFA about the banking business. BOI is make it's profits in all the wrong places and consequently it is not something you'd want to have in your portfolio.

The Irish banks and Irish economy have little defence against what is coming .

No, but investors have the means to ensure they are not caught up in it, if they are willing to put in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

Might start my own financial forecasting firm.

A nice easy one to kick start your new career:

Is BoI buy , hold or sell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Interesting hatchet job on BoI's Boss Francesca McDonagh in the current edition of The Phoenix Magazine.

One of her main objectives is to ensure that the bank has a 50:50 gender ratio by 2021. That's the kind of creative strategic thinking outside the (ahem) box that's bound to help BoI's share price! :confused:

• Advertisement

Mach 3 wrote: »
    A nice easy one to kick start your new career:

Is BoI buy , hold or sell?

Hold long term, sell short term.

Advertisement