Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012 Predictions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dazaq

So lads ,any ideas for higher level maths paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

The SEC has mad a blunder (idiots). Now we will sit a new Irish Higher Level Paper 1. Does this probably mean all the prepared essays will go out the window? I've studied Fadhbanna na ginearalta..... The SEC are a joke who are costing hard working students points due to their wish to make the papers 'less predictable' for one year only. I believe all students should be rewarded for their efforts i.e study..... but it no longer looks like that is the case. Instead, it is down to pot luck.

OH NO, what are people thinking now for the essay predictions???

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Off topic posts and comments towards eachother and your results have been deleted. Personal abuse will not be tolerated. Concentrate on your exams instead of getting worked up about other people's study methods.
    Dapics wrote: »
    In terms of predictability and the awkwardness of questions then yes it is the hardest ever.

No, it isn't, and don't go into your exams expecting them to be the worst thing you've ever seen. You haven't looked at past exam papers from the point of view of the people sitting it in those particular years. Your teachers will have gone over things that have come up before with you before you looked at those papers, but at the time, people were as shocked to see what was on their paper as ye are about yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

I think if there's anything we've learned, it is that trying to predict these papers is utterly futile

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jr blank

Wesc. wrote: »
    It wasn't though. Definitely not ridiculous.

The first part was very basic knowledge of differentiation- if you differentiate you get the slope of the tangent to a curve. That's what it's all about. Then all you had to was get an equation for the tangent and they gave you the points aswell like. I goes through the origin so x=0 when y=0.

In the 2nd part all you had to do was find the area under the curve and subtract it from the 2 triangles. Just integrate the curve from x=a (from part 1 you get a=rootk) and multiply it by 2. Then get the area of the triangles and take that away from the area under the curve.

It was straightforward really, nothing difficult about it at all.

you are a genius !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Dazaq

I feel physics could be horrible if dere trying to get rid of people being able to predict exams

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I have a baaaaad feeling that the biology paper this year will have a lot of plant biology, which sucks for me :(

And they could go overboard with the physics STS, as if last year's coffee machine wasn't enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shnoo_shnoo

Dapics wrote: »
    The SEC has mad a blunder (idiots). Now we will sit a new Irish Higher Level Paper 1. Does this probably mean all the prepared essays will go out the window? I've studied Fadhbanna na ginearalta..... The SEC are a joke who are costing hard working students points due to their wish to make the papers 'less predictable' for one year only. I believe all students should be rewarded for their efforts i.e study..... but it no longer looks like that is the case. Instead, it is down to pot luck.

They are doing the right thing.

The leaving cert shouldn't be about learning off pre-prepared essay's and then regurgitating them in the exam. A feckin chimpanzee could do that, it dosen't take a genius to learn off essays.

Stop complaning and start understanding your courses.
    Ultimately this year it will be the students who actually have some intelligence who will do well.. The one's who get 500+ points will have deserved them, not because they learn off essays but because they have the analytical abililities that the LC is all about.

Thats my rant over.
    I'm sorry but to be fair to students its the first year of a new course in Irish .. and for a lot of people Irish isn't an easy subject .. you would have to be fluent to be prepared for any possible essay that could come up on the paper ... And to be perfectly honest the leaving cert system is a load of tripe its not about analytical abilities its about doing whatever it takes to get your place in college and if that means learning off essays for a subject you struggle with that's of no relevence to your prospective career then what harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ziomek232323

soniacore wrote: »
    Says the smart one.
    Nah , nobody said that she will be on but it was only a prediction cause she was on both mock papers and she wasn't on since 2008 or something like that.
    All of my english teachers in school were saying that there is a good possibility of her coming up in lc 2012 unfortunately she haven't and I can bet anyone she will appear next year and not many will do her.

"says the smart one." ? okay ?

I was just stressing my opinion and if people were offended. im sorry but its the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shnoo_shnoo

biddy boop wrote: »
    I'm really hoping you can help me on a honours Irish LC query.

And i'm sorry to bother you but I actually have no one to ask and im really confused

I am a mature student it's been 10 years since i sat ordinary irish in the LC and now im repeating it on Monday and Tuesday. I have not attended any classes or grinds and have no outside help.

So my question:
    Can i simply learn one poem and one prose from last year's course and answer the b part, rather than learning 5 poems and 5 proses from this years course and not know which one will come up??

in paper 2 there are 2 questions on poems and prose u have to choose one. The first Q is on a given poem/prose and the 2nd Q is for an optional poem/prose u have studied.

It was my impression that the 2nd option is for like repeat students who know the last courses poems.

What I wana know is can I learn last years poems &proses &answer that 2nd Q instead?
    Basically I wana know what the catch is, do u have to be a repeat student from last years honours class to be allowed to answer that Q?

Because why would I learn 5poems and 5prose from this yrs course and not know which 1 will be chosen if I can simply learn 1prose 1poem from last year &know them like the back of my hand to answer the 2nd optional poem/prose Q?

Why isn't everyone doin that, learnin the 2 poem/prose from last year instead of the 10 poems/prose from this yr??

Kindest Regards,

Biddy Boop

I myself am a repeat and I'm using last years poetry the thing about cursai roghnach is you can't simply learn one poet and one prose you could need up to 4 they will generally ask for a modern poem by a man or woman, or an old fashioned poem by a Man or woman ., my suggestions an t-oilean (modern woman)
    Jack (old woman)
    Nil aon ni (modern man)
    Mo ghuile near (old man)

In the pros section you could get asked specifcally a type of story eg
    A film (claire sa speir)
    A story (an bean og/fiche bhlian ag fas)
    A sceal bealoideachas not sure how that translates .. kinda like word of mouth and for that I would use cearbhach MAC caba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

What essay topics do you have prepared for French?? My teacher was horrible and I have nothing done.. Help

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mccormski

Anyone have any Ideas on Higher Maths paper 2? And also I have not studied one bit of french! Any tips ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Based purely on speculation and what our teachers have told us about the workshop yokes they go to... The trignor geometry questions this year should be loosely related to the most recent workshop on the project maths site for strands 1 and 2... The order of the paper is completely unpredictable and I don't think it's possible to tell what will be in a and what will be in b... I think if you know your probability very well and stats, know how to draw and interpret graphs and know Bernoulli and margin of error and stuff...know about the formulas for area of a triangle and all the line, know the circle formulas and be able to find them in the log tables, emphasis has been put on the sin and cos and tan curves I think, know how to label them. Next, know the theorems especially like 12 13 14 or whatever are on the syllabus but know all I would say. Know the constructions especially orthocentre, circumcircle in circle and bisection. Know the definitions for the likes of corollary etc. I think that's about everything covered.... It looks like a lot but it's not really, most of it is junior cert...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hamal

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Based purely on speculation and what our teachers have told us about the workshop yokes they go to... The trignor geometry questions this year should be loosely related to the most recent workshop on the project maths site for strands 1 and 2... The order of the paper is completely unpredictable and I don't think it's possible to tell what will be in a and what will be in b... I think if you know your probability very well and stats, know how to draw and interpret graphs and know Bernoulli and margin of error and stuff...know about the formulas for area of a triangle and all the line, know the circle formulas and be able to find them in the log tables, emphasis has been put on the sin and cos and tan curves I think, know how to label them. Next, know the theorems especially like 12 13 14 or whatever are on the syllabus but know all I would say. Know the constructions especially orthocentre, circumcircle in circle and bisection. Know the definitions for the likes of corollary etc. I think that's about everything covered.... It looks like a lot but it's not really, most of it is junior cert...

Yeah so basically the whole course...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Cian_Collins

Are you on about pass or honours maths now?

Would I be covered with learning some sort of Timpiste and Ireland as a country for the essays can anybody tell me ?

Anybody's teachers given them any hints about biology?? I know there'll be a question on sexual reproduction in flowering plants or human so...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

biddy boop wrote: »
    I'm really hoping you can help me on a honours Irish LC query.

And i'm sorry to bother you but I actually have no one to ask and im really confused

I am a mature student it's been 10 years since i sat ordinary irish in the LC and now im repeating it on Monday and Tuesday. I have not attended any classes or grinds and have no outside help.

So my question:
    Can i simply learn one poem and one prose from last year's course and answer the b part, rather than learning 5 poems and 5 proses from this years course and not know which one will come up??

in paper 2 there are 2 questions on poems and prose u have to choose one. The first Q is on a given poem/prose and the 2nd Q is for an optional poem/prose u have studied.

It was my impression that the 2nd option is for like repeat students who know the last courses poems.

What I wana know is can I learn last years poems &proses &answer that 2nd Q instead?
    Basically I wana know what the catch is, do u have to be a repeat student from last years honours class to be allowed to answer that Q?

Because why would I learn 5poems and 5prose from this yrs course and not know which 1 will be chosen if I can simply learn 1prose 1poem from last year &know them like the back of my hand to answer the 2nd optional poem/prose Q?

Why isn't everyone doin that, learnin the 2 poem/prose from last year instead of the 10 poems/prose from this yr??

Kindest Regards,

Biddy Boop

I myself am a repeat and I'm using last years poetry the thing about cursai roghnach is you can't simply learn one poet and one prose you could need up to 4 they will generally ask for a modern poem by a man or woman, or an old fashioned poem by a Man or woman ., my suggestions an t-oilean (modern woman)
    Jack (old woman)
    Nil aon ni (modern man)
    Mo ghuile near (old man)

In the pros section you could get asked specifcally a type of story eg
    A film (claire sa speir)
    A story (an bean og/fiche bhlian ag fas)
    A sceal bealoideachas not sure how that translates .. kinda like word of mouth and for that I would use cearbhach MAC caba

Hi schnoo, thank u so much for your response

After lookin through the past papers I had figured that out

It was jus the simplicity of the sample paper that completely threw me

Best of luck x

Are you on about pass or honours maths now?

Honours.... It's not bad a paper really... It's just how new it is scares us... Plus I reckon they will have to show something for the millions invested and Mark it easy enough so the average Mark is high... The attempt marks are hilarious... But I don't wanna jinx myself by saying it's easy, I know it's not... But what my maths teacher said about the sec was funny "England tried it and it failed, so we may aswell give it a shot..."

Would I be covered with learning some sort of Timpiste and Ireland as a country for the essays can anybody tell me ?

I would look at ar imirce too... Just learn a paragraph or so I'm it... If the Olympics comes up it'll be ridiculously hard, but if you wanna learn a bit on that... Daoine oga or eireann San eorap were more of our teachers predictions but with this effin change in the paper to the back up, anything could be up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 17Dan21

You'd think for the aiste that something related to sport or the economy would appear. Probably wont though as they think we should be able to write about anything and everything.

17Dan21 wrote: »
    You'd think for the aiste that something related to sport or the economy would appear. Probably wont though as they think we should be able to write about anything and everything.

From what I've seen they sometimes put sport in the sceal but I wouldnt touch a short story in English no mind Irish.... You never know with this damn back up paper... First they don't Put Plath or Heaney now they have to do a back up Irish.... Jesus this lc is weird this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Loststudent

Theorems wrote: »
    What essay topics do you have prepared for French?? My teacher was horrible and I have nothing done.. Help
    Olympics :P The rest are unpredictable... Olympics and a good Journal Initime and we'll be alright...what's the bet they'll be no Jounal Intime now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Loststudent

From what I've seen they sometimes put sport in the sceal but I wouldnt touch a short story in English no mind Irish.... You never know with this damn back up paper... First they don't Put Plath or Heaney now they have to do a back up Irish.... Jesus this lc is weird this year

I agree with you...but maybe the original Paper 1 was the tough one, and they just put in easy essays for the back-up? I'm assuming they wouldn't stress themselves into putting too much effort in a back up... a back up has only been neede twice I think? I stand for correction though:P

I would look at ar imirce too... Just learn a paragraph or so I'm it... If the Olympics comes up it'll be ridiculously hard, but if you wanna learn a bit on that... Daoine oga or eireann San eorap were more of our teachers predictions but with this effin change in the paper to the back up, anything could be up...

Woooo stall da pony .. ... Im doing pass Im not learnin all dt stuff , Broke me heart trying to do hnrs

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Theorems

Olympics :P The rest are unpredictable... Olympics and a good Journal Initime and we'll be alright...what's the bet they'll be no Jounal Intime now:(

Thanks, we didnt cover that at all. I'll have a good look at that and just hope for the best. I have faith in my French waffling ability... to a certain degree anyway

Woooo stall da pony .. ... Im doing pass Im not learnin all dt stuff , Broke me heart trying to do hnrs

Oh ok sorry haha

• Registered Users Posts: 47 D.murphy

screwed for history and Irish both honors. anyone got safe tips that will help me pass both? quite desperate ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Timpeall

It is next to impossible to predict what they are going to put up! The only thing you can do, if possible, to have a fair idea of everything. It is awful but that is the system. The education system in Ireland isn't an accurate gauge of how smart you are, just how much you can learn off. So perspective is everything -AND- we can always repeat and re-live the "magic" that was Leaving Cert 2012 :D:p

• Advertisement

D.murphy wrote: »
    screwed for history and Irish both honors. anyone got safe tips that will help me pass both? quite desperate ha

Learn phrases that can be used anywhere... Learn paragraphs on timpeallacht and imirce and like the rest of us, hope for the best.... As for history, don't do it sorry...

Advertisement