Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I got the ones from Mothercare, the big thick green ones. There's 48 in a pack, how many do you think we will go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I got the mothercare ones and boots ones too :)

No idea how many we need!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I got the boots ones. 2 large packs. If I need more, there's a boots across the road from hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

silly wrote: »
    I got the boots ones. 2 large packs. If I need more, there's a boots across the road from hospital.
    I have one pack from boots and one from mother care.
    Will take one to bag and second in bag with spare things so hubby can find it easilly

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭minibear

I didn't think much of those big green ones the hospital provided. They have no sticky bit at the back and i found they moved around quite a bit. For the night time in the weeks after i got a pack of Tena pads. I've been trying to figure out which pad it was exactly but no luck so far. All i can say is they were the only pad that gave complete comfort, no leaks at all and it was brilliant. They were big and awkward but they did a fantastic job.

(oh, they were much more expensive than other pads. i will keep trying to find the exact name for anyone who might want to get them.)

it's a bit scary to see someone has had their baby already! congratulations on the birth of your little boy. :)

i'm finishing up work next week, just six days left and i can't wait for it. i sit at a desk all day and usually by lunch time i'm in bits with the pain and pressure. i have an appointment tomorrow and a scan so i'm really hoping baby has stayed down and all still favourable for the induction date (july 13th)

i rang the maternity benefit section this morning and thank god it's been approved. One less thing to worry about.

hope ye're all well and staying as comfortable as possible.

mini bear

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

was it these ones Minibear? http://www.tena.co.uk/women/products/product-range/ TENA Lady Maxi Night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

i got the mother care ones, they are nearly bigger than the nappies im bringing for the baby lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've the boots ones, those Tena ones sound good. Can't be bothered buying more now though!

Can't believe I''ll be packing my bags this weekend coming, my OH says he wants to be there when I'm doing it haha. He'll have his own little bag to pack for "just in case" stuff.

Watched Look Who's Talking Too yesterday evening and it made my cry twice, wtf?

Ginny wrote: »
    was it these ones Minibear? http://www.tena.co.uk/women/products/product-range/ TENA Lady Maxi Night

Hi Ginny, it could be those although i've looked at them online and still wasn't sure. it's hard to be sure without actually seeing it in the flesh. they were quite nappy like but not nappies or pants (they didn't close at the hip or anything.)

they could have cost over €1 per pad, maybe more, i just remember thinking at the time that for the comfort, they were worth twice that.

i have some baby nappies here but haven't opened them yet, looking at the size of the pack for the amount of nappies, it does seem the pads could be bigger!

another thing for the hospital bag, a few pairs of dark pyjama bottoms. i haven't read through this whole thread because it's so big so it may have already been mentioned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

minibear wrote: »
    another thing for the hospital bag, a few pairs of dark pyjama bottoms. i haven't read through this whole thread because it's so big so it may have already been mentioned. :)

No harm mentioning things again, we've all got a little amnesia so we need things repeated. I wouldn't even bother trying to read this whole thread, it's massive. It would be lovely to somehow print it and keep our own posts maybe - they sort of serve as a pregnancy diary as a lot of us have been posting right from when we got the positive result, and then different girls have been joining in at different weeks.

I'd love to look back on this thread in years to come & it would all come back to me. Especially as I may only have this baby, want to really cherish as much as I can and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

I just rang the lady who owns the yard I was renting before and she was a bit snotty with me at first, usually I speak to her once/twice a week and she usually asks me to come down to the yard to do something or go watch the other girl whose riding her horses while I can't do it.
    I was feeling a bit bad I didn't speak to her all week but then again it's hard to get her to understand that I can't really move around as easily as I use to and it's also hard being down in the yard and not being able to ride or do anything! She's in her 60's and never had children, so anyway she was brilliant in the end and updated me on all the progress of the horses etc....I dunno just wanted to write this down and have a wee moan or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tinkerbell79

congrats barremic on being the first and on your baby boy!!!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I only thought of this after I had bought light coloured ones! :rolleyes: Ah well, at least it's only one pair. I'm being terribly fussy about my PJ's for hospital tho. Suppose it's because people will be seeing you in them.

I bought pads in Tesco, they seem quiet thick. A lot of people were recommending the purple Always too. Meant to pick up another couple of packs of pads, because we will need them for a few weeks after the birth.

Notsobusy, vent away! At least it all ended well.

Just found out that good friends of ours got engaged...so excited for them. Can't wait to get home this eve and grill himself for all the news! He just sent me a text saying x and y got engaged, a and b broke up and x rang and was asking for you! Men are useless for information!!

Hopefully my car will be ready this eve...it's been in the mechanics since last Wed. He's been waiting on the part. There's a few jobs that has to be done on it and it's going to cost €650! And apparently the turbo is going in the car too and that's going to cost around €700, but he's hoping I won't need to get that done for a couple of months.

Ah feck KA that's all you need at the moment. God cars can be so annoying/expensive. I sold my old Jeep there the other week and I was never so glad to see the back of it. It cost me 3grand 3 years ago and I reckon I've spent the guts of 5 on it keeping it on the road. Sickening but I had no choice!

Yeah delighted that the phone call ended well, don't want to fall out with her just because I'm a grumpy cow! She's been so good to me over the last couple of years.

I found a couple of pairs of pajama shorts that I might bring into the hospital instead of bottoms.....

notsobusy wrote: »

I found a couple of pairs of pajama shorts that I might bring into the hospital instead of bottoms.....

just laughing to myself here thinking that if i did that at least i'd be giving something back to the hospital staff and its visitors...hours of hilarity from viewing my tree trunks. i seriously think they'd be able to sell tickets to see them especially now with the added attraction of bruises all over my thigh from insulin injections.:D

Minibear I had that thought too!!! But I thought ah feck it if I'm too hot I'm too hot and they can laugh all they want at my legs!

just laughing to myself here thinking that if i did that at least i'd be giving something back to the hospital staff and its visitors...hours of hilarity from viewing my tree trunks. i seriously think they'd be able to sell tickets to see them especially now with the added attraction of bruises all over my thigh from insulin injections.:D

How are you finding the GD and injecting yourself? Im just managing it with diet at the minute, don't think I'll have to go on to the injections.
    I do find the diet quiet limiting and restrictive at times, and there is sometimes I would kill for a chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea! Sugar free jelly is just not doing it for me!
    notsobusy wrote: »
    Minibear I had that thought too!!! But I thought ah feck it if I'm too hot I'm too hot and they can laugh all they want at my legs!

And it is going to be hot in there because little babies need to be kept warm apparently!
    Make sure birth partners don't wear anything heavy that day, or they'll pass out from the head in the delivery room. Don't forget to make sure they are wearing something with buttons in the front so they can do some of the skin to skin with baby...personally this is something I can't wait to see. Two of the people you love most in the world snuggled up together!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Saurelin

i had PJ with shorts last week when I was in hospital and it was great idea
    I was roasting at antenatal ward but the post delivery ward is even hotter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

i cannot keep my eyes open today ! ive been asleep more than awake!

javagal wrote: »
    i cannot keep my eyes open today ! ive been asleep more than awake!

Jealous!!

• Advertisement

The itching on my belly has gotten so bad, looks like I may have PUPPS. Luckily going to Dr tomorrow so will get he/she to look at it. Also will try and get the Aveeno stuff someone recommended looks like oatmeal helps with the itchiness!!!

It's unreal my whole belly is red raw and I've been trying desperately not to scratch it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I have a really sore spot on my stomach.....:( to the right of my belly button is so sore and tender, even having clothes brush off it is sore. It feels like I have a huge brusie under the skin, and it's sore to press on...:(

kildareash wrote: »
    How are you finding the GD and injecting yourself? Im just managing it with diet at the minute, don't think I'll have to go on to the injections.
    I do find the diet quiet limiting and restrictive at times, and there is sometimes I would kill for a chocolate biscuit with a cup of tea! Sugar free jelly is just not doing it for me!

it's a fecking nightmare. things you just never expect to be bad ARE bad and some things you think will give awful results have no effect. I've been in tears over it a few times to be honest. Days when i've been really really good and careful and out of the blue a high number.. i try not to stress too much over it because apparently my insulin doses are miniscule at the moment, and the clinic have reassured me that sometimes it's just hormones.

They or my GP don't seem too worried about it for now so i just try to keep that in my head on those bad days.

i feel so sorry for anyone who has to live with diabetes full time. Testing bloods before and after meals. getting the timing right..injecting the insulin. Even remembering to do all of it is a trial sometimes.

apparently a little bit of exercise immediately after eating does wonders for the blood sugar but that's not much good when even walking is an effort at the moment!

notsobusy, that rash sounds horrible. Have you tried Eurax lotion 10% w/w? A couple of weeks ago i developed the most horrible itching but not on my tummy, it was more on my arms and legs. It had no rash or spots or anything just a feeling of crawling..yeuch. My GP took blood to test for cholestasis which can be dangerous in pregnancy. The results came back with just one slightly high reading and the itch seems to have lessened most of the time now. But i had a bottle of Eurax in the house and i found it absolutely brilliant to ease it.

The only problem is it's impossible to find in the chemists. Apparently for the last few months there's been a shortage of it probably due to all the chickenpox around. I've tried every chemist for miles around and no luck. So if you find some grab it, it just might help.

Scan tomorrow, looking forward to seeing the little rascal again and praying that the weight has stabilised a little. (doesn't feel like it from the pressure i'm experiencing though!!)

At my last appointment a couple of weeks ago i was trying to explain my concern for the amount of pain and pressure and both the nurse and the consultant sort of smiled when i said it felt like the baby was literally going to drop out. They both had a funny little smile as they said That's not going to happen, if only it were that easy. Sure we live in hope!

Scan for me tomorrow too: my tenth I think :) I'm really hoping they plan to induce me/section me/knock me out because I am so tired I can't think straight... Even if they do think I'm a total hypochondriac moan I just don't care anymore: the combination of the last couple of months is just getting to be too much for me now. Also I'm not sure getting BH every 15-30 minutes for 5 days is normal!

Notsobusy hope doc can give you something tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

Hi ladies,

Things have settled down a big by now! Yesterday I was just so tired I could barely function. I wouldn't mind it was my fault not his.

Couple of things I noticed that may or may not help ye

On your first night no matter how bubs is born , if u have the opportunity to grab 30 mins do. I kept fighting sleep when oh was here, and typically it got very loud, with emergencies and babies, that there was no way to get asleep then.

The huggies pure wipes I brought just in case along with the cotton wool, have come in really handy for wiping me down. Oh my is it hot in here.

Try find a few diff size hats if you can for baby, as the ones I got are one sized, but keep flying off him.

Clothes wise I had the wrong stuff packed, well kind of.
    Baby is in one vest, the short ones with no legs, and a baby grow on top. I didn't think he would be wearing both of those constantly.
    So I needed more of them brought in.
    He was having trouble maintaining temp, because he's premi, so is double swaddled.

Trying to learn to breastfeed is tough, as the staff keep changing, the girl up in recovery was great trying to show me, but then on the ward its just so busy. The nurses are trying really hard to help those who want to breastfeed. There just isn't time.
    I have now given up as his sugar levels were getting low and I worried. If its any help to you the new position, someone mentioned before, was comfi, with my tummy being sore after op. Was the rugby ball one, where you hold them under your arm, it was much less intimidating.

Bring extra, light pj, bottoms, I have gone through a few. I prefare to nightdresses

Hope some of this helps.
    He's awake now. So back on duty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

barremic wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Things have settled down a big by now! Yesterday I was just so tired I could barely function. I wouldn't mind it was my fault not his.

On your first night no matter how bubs is born , if u have the opportunity to grab 30 mins do. I kept fighting sleep when oh was here, and typically it got very loud, with emergencies and babies, that there was no way to get asleep then.

The huggies pure wipes I brought just in case along with the cotton wool, have come in really handy for wiping me down. Oh my is it hot in here.

Try find a few diff size hats if you can for baby, as the ones I got are one sized, but keep flying off him.

Baby is in one vest, the short ones with no legs, and a baby grow on top. I didn't think he would be wearing both of those constantly.
    He was having trouble maintaining temp, because he's premi, so is double swaddled.

Trying to learn to breastfeed is tough, as the staff keep changing, the girl up in recovery was great trying to show me, but then on the ward its just so busy. The nurses are trying really hard to help those who want to breastfeed. There just isn't time.
    I have now given up as his sugar levels were getting low and I worried. If its any help to you the new position, someone mentioned before, was comfi, with my tummy being sore after op. Was the rugby ball one, where you hold them under your arm, it was much less intimidating.

Bring extra, light pj, bottoms, I have gone through a few. I prefare to nightdresses

Hope some of this helps.
    Thanks for all the info! I'm thinking 2 pj bottoms might not be enough then...
    Any name picked yet??

i feel so sorry for anyone who has to live with diabetes full time. Testing bloods before and after meals. getting the timing right..injecting the insulin. Even remembering to do all of it is a trial sometimes.

apparently a little bit of exercise immediately after eating does wonders for the blood sugar but that's not much good when even walking is an effort at the moment!

It's actually not as bad for "real" diabetics. My dad has had diabetes for pretty much most of my life, so I thought I knew it all. GD is totally different, it should nearly be called something else.
    My dad doesn't have to check his blood half as often as I do and he has a bit more leeway with the numbers too. And the diet isn't as quarter as restrictive...

It's very frustrating, when your trying to do your best and you don't get the results you want. I've stopped worrying about one or two that are a little high. My bedtime and morning ones are consistently high, but the consultant said they weren't high enough to worry about at my last appointment.

It's a sad state of affairs when a saturday night treat is two slices of brown bread!
    cyning wrote: »
    Scan for me tomorrow too: my tenth I think :) I'm really hoping they plan to induce me/section me/knock me out because I am so tired I can't think straight... Even if they do think I'm a total hypochondriac moan I just don't care anymore: the combination of the last couple of months is just getting to be too much for me now. Also I'm not sure getting BH every 15-30 minutes for 5 days is normal!

Notsobusy hope doc can give you something tomorrow :)

I really hope they will do something for you today. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Mrs, for taking the time to do that. Big help!
    If your worried about the breastfeeding see is there a specialist in the hospital, that might call up to see you while your there.
    It's ridiculous how much is left up to the midwives. Makes me glad our ante natal classes were so comprehensive that i've some notion of breastfeeding and bathing etc. But I know I'll probably forget all that we were shown when I've a wriggly little newborn in my hands!
    Do you know when you will get home?

I got an hour and a half of sleep together last night :D less moany now!!

Barremic fantastic post!

For anyone looking for PJ's Dunnes have light ones with dark blue bottoms and tops with buttons for breast feeding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 barremic

silly wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

Hope some of this helps.
    Thanks for all the info! I'm thinking 2 pj bottoms might not be enough then...
    Any name picked yet??

Deffo go with more than 2! Things have a way of getting everywhere. I ve gone through 1 nightdress, 3 pj bottoms and about 3 tops.

We are narrowing down the name, just not there yet.

I got gunked, well shat on TMI, they wanted to weigh him today and he didn't like being stripped. Tip, get the nappy back on fast!

Would love to be going home today, but there is no way they would let me. I was in my feet, well crutches, and went down for air by lunchtime yesterday, with oh minding me, had all tubes drips etc removed. Physio well pleased etc. But the rule is 72 hours after c section. So maybe tomorrow's night at a push

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Robinc

Hi ladies,

Hope some of this helps.
    Great thats it's all over for you, hope your all doing well ;)

Advertisement