Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due July 2012 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

cyning wrote: »
    Baby has spent the last hour moving like non stop... I wish she would go to sleep... Also she is triggering braxton hicks with some of what she's doing... I bet she's going to be a night owl once she gets here :)

me too! stomach is freaky with all the movements !

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Hi ladies,

TMI alert - sorry!

I think I just got "the show" as I found brownish discharge in my underwear - I'm petrified! At the antenatal class the midwife told us that it's not really a main sign of labour so not to arrive to the hospital until contractions are 10 mins apart or waters have gone - no sign of anything else yet though. I'm just 35 and a half weeks today and I'm bricking it! No pains or anything though - anyone else have this by now? I just read on the net (worst thing to do!) and says that if that is the show then labour is "imminent" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Hi Mamaheidi, not surprised that freaked you out! Was it cervical mucus with blood in?
    Our midwife said something similar that people get the show and may not give birth for weeks BUT she said if anything happened before you were 36 weeks you should contact them, so I would give them a call & tell them what happened just to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

TMI alert - sorry!

I think I just got "the show" as I found brownish discharge in my underwear - I'm petrified! At the antenatal class the midwife told us that it's not really a main sign of labour so not to arrive to the hospital until contractions are 10 mins apart or waters have gone - no sign of anything else yet though. I'm just 35 and a half weeks today and I'm bricking it! No pains or anything though - anyone else have this by now? I just read on the net (worst thing to do!) and says that if that is the show then labour is "imminent" :eek:

I agree with TwoMums, call the hospital, just to be on the safe side, as it is still a bit early. But during my ante-natal class they said the mucus could easily get dislodged during an internal exam or some hanky panky, so that might be all it is.
    TwoMums2Be wrote: »
    Do newborns need bibs? If they do I don't have any :D

It's on none of the lists I read, but muslin cloths can be used instead, and are really handy for other things too, so i have about 20 of those so far. I pick up a pack every time i do a Tesco shop.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I wouldn't be too worried, I'd check with the hosp though. I think I read somewhere that it can be 2-3 weeks after losing the plug before anything happens

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies,

Just phoned the hospital and the midwife I was talking to said it was nothing to worry about and that I could get more over the next few weeks. She said that as long as the baby is moving as normal and that it's not like bloody then it all seems fine. If waters break or blood appears to go in then.

Pregnancy can send any sane person into a panic in the space of 5 seconds!!! And breathe......... ;)

Glad you got some reassurance :) at least you know there might be more & to go in if anything changes!

I suspect we will have lots of panics in the next month or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

wow mamaheidi! i would have had a bit of a panic too, glad its all ok though!

I havent bought any bibs either, but i have loads of muslin cloths - which are used instead of bibs really. I will prob get some for when they are older, some babies are right dribblers even when they are not feeding. i bought some burp cloths in guineys too. Saw lovely burp cloths on amazon - but they are a bit expensive.

Last night we came across a major problem....
    Hubby hates hospitals and gets very queasy and light headed at the sight of blood.
    Last night he dreamt about the baby being born and it woke him up,at 3am... he had to go to the bathroom and lie down as he was light headed, he was so pale, and it took him about 20 mins to feel better, he was sitting at the edge of the bed with his head between his legs...

Obviously this is not good, it looks like he wont be able to stay in the labour room with me!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Mamaheidi I would have panicked too! Glad they said all is fine.... and Twomums I bet there will be alot more panic over the next few weeks :D

Silly just tell him to concentrate on you not on looking at whats happening: I'm sure the midwives are well used to men fainting too even if worse did come to worse! But here there's chairs for them to sit on. Maybe even if he comes in and has to leave for awhile?

I have lots of muslins and burp cloths too: everytime I'm in Tralee I pick up some: and by the way they dont tumble dry the best: none of the ones I've picked up anyway!! I just dry them naturally now!

I just ate the oddest breakfast: breadless ham,cheese and coleslaw sandwiches and yummy local strawberries... Yum, yum,yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

silly wrote: »

I havent bought any bibs either, but i have loads of muslin cloths - which are used instead of bibs really. I will prob get some for when they are older, some babies are right dribblers even when they are not feeding. i bought some burp cloths in guineys too. Saw lovely burp cloths on amazon - but they are a bit expensive.

Hubby hates hospitals and gets very queasy and light headed at the sight of blood.
    Last night he dreamt about the baby being born and it woke him up,at 3am... he had to go to the bathroom and lie down as he was light headed, he was so pale, and it took him about 20 mins to feel better, he was sitting at the edge of the bed with his head between his legs...

Obviously this is not good, it looks like he wont be able to stay in the labour room with me!!?

Oh no Silly, thats terrible. It must be really bad when a dream cld trigger such a reaction.

Do u have anyone else that u wld want in the labour ward with you, if he really Cldnt be there? Poor fella (and poor you!).

Must have been a baby affecting full moon last night coz my baby was super active last night too. OH said his arm got a big kick even after I fell asleep last night. I thought it was because I was super relaxed after the week off and I had my yoga class last night too.

• Advertisement

i'm sure he'll be grand if he sits facing me instead of the other direction, i'm hoping that when he see's baby he'll be more focused on if its a boy or a girl than any blood etc..
    hoping!
    I really dont want anyone else in there but him...a bit selfish maybe..

i'm sure he'll be grand if he sits facing me instead of the other direction, i'm hoping that when he see's baby he'll be more focused on if its a boy or a girl than any blood etc..
    hoping!
    I really dont want anyone else in there but him...a bit selfish maybe..

I'd feel exactly the same. Don't think your being selfish at all. I'm sure he really wants to be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Silly that's not selfish: I'd be the exact same... it's normal to want him there: as you said if he's turned the other way it might not be so bad for him? What is he saying about it? My hubby is really nervous (and totally grossed out) too, but he wants to be there: unless I need a section. He just doesn't think he could be there for that.

Kildareash I ended up in tears for a finish last night because baby was so active... she was really hurting me :rolleyes: I have no idea WHAT she was doing!

he says he wants to be there, but worried about fainting..
    He'll be there alright, we just hope that the light headed ness stays away so he doesnt pass out!
    its just a waiting game really, we wont know how he will be until we are there in the situation..

I'm a bit crippled today, i think it might be because at 9pm last night, when i am usually heading to bed, i decided to need to mop the kitchen and hallway!! I was fecked after it!!

baby was very active aswell last night, its like it sensed we were talking about their arrival..

cyning wrote: »
    Silly that's not selfish: I'd be the exact same... it's normal to want him there: as you said if he's turned the other way it might not be so bad for him? What is he saying about it? My hubby is really nervous (and totally grossed out) too, but he wants to be there: unless I need a section. He just doesn't think he could be there for that.

Kildareash I ended up in tears for a finish last night because baby was so active... she was really hurting me :rolleyes: I have no idea WHAT she was doing!

I'd say all the other halves are nervous about the birth, especially as there is nothing they can really do to help us, other than just be there. Must be a terrible feeling for them. And we're not exactly going to be at our most rational either!

Wow, sounds like you have a right little footballer in there!

Silly, sounds like your OH is really really nervous. Good idea about keeping him up by your head though. The midwife at our antenatal class said that a lot of men really aren't cut out for the labour ward. I think a lot of it has to do with them being so helpless when their partner is in so much pain. My OH is very squeamish at the best of times but I plan to send him out for air if & when he's feeling queasy. And to be honest there's not a lot he can do in there anyway so as long as he's there for the birth I'll be happy. Let's hope they surprise us on the day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had my baby in February, and most of the way through the pregnancy my fella was saying he would not be coming into the labour room, as he is very queasy in hospitals too, and he did not want to see me in pain. I spoke to my midwife (the one giving me the antenatal classes) and she said to bring him to one of the classes, where she would be talking about what happens from the contractions kicking off until the birth, and how the clinic runs (ie the father can come in and out of the labour ward as he likes). Also to reassure him that he could sit up beside my head and did not need to be down the "business end". Also she advised me to tell him that he was my "coach". This approach worked really well, and in the end he stayed with me the whole time (except for the 10 mins it took to set up the epidural, they send the dads out for that in the clinic I went to) and was really happy to have been there.

I'd say they will. The adrenaline and excitement will take over and if u think about it the most gorey bits are possibly the shortest part of labour.
    They cld always keep their back to the business end.

Maybe get them isotonic drinks and those breakfast bars or something to keep their strength up too.

Anyone else threatening their OH with the first nappy? Mine hasn't a clue what's its going to be like and has never changed a baby's nappy before. He can't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about the first bowel movement!!!!!

Yeah grab some protein bars and isotonic drinks and that will keep them going. I reckon the adrenaline will kick in and he'll be ok once it all kicks off. Remind him that he doesn't have to be there all the time, he can go for a walk once you're settled and he doesn't have to look at the gory bits, I know my OH won't be.

Quick question, are any of you suffering with pelvic pain or hip pain (hip pain is mostly at night). I'm not sure if my pain is anything exceptional, just checking other people are suffering with it too. I wouldn't want to go in and get it looked at to be told it's normal. The front of my pelvis feels badly bruised constantly and my tail bone is aching. I can still walk but there is some discomfort, it just feels like I've been on a bike for a few days or horse riding, I'm not walking like john Wayne, but its quite tender. Just want to check I'm not the only one!

Silly it's not selfish to want him there. My partner finds it very hard to see me in pain (would much rather go through the pain herself than watch me in it) but there is no way she wouldn't be there with me :)
    The reality of labour might be far better than what he imagined in his dream so he might be fine on the day. Might be worth getting some Vick or something for him to sniff if he is feeling faint at any point.

Cyning if you end up needing a section you will both be behind a screen so he will see less than the other way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Ginny wrote: »
    Quick question, are any of you suffering with pelvic pain or hip pain (hip pain is mostly at night). I'm not sure if my pain is anything exceptional, just checking other people are suffering with it too. I wouldn't want to go in and get it looked at to be told it's normal. The front of my pelvis feels badly bruised constantly and my tail bone is aching. I can still walk but there is some discomfort, it just feels like I've been on a bike for a few days or horse riding, I'm not walking like john Wayne, but its quite tender. Just want to check I'm not the only one!

I have this too Ginny, and at my last check up, they said it was normal. Tailbone aches on a regular basis, and occasionally it feels like the little one is trying to burrow through it. My hips have lost a lot of range of motion too, and they hurt like hell if I try to move them outside of their comfort zone. And if I move my legs wrong in bed it occasionally feels like I am trying to split my pubic bone down the middle. It's all part and parcel of this stage of pregnancy, especially if the baby is big.

Cyning - all the wiggling could be your baby engaging her head...I gather they can do a lot of squirming to get in the right position :)

Kildareash - he will know all about what the fuss is about if he gets to deal with the first nappy :D

If I manage to breastfeed, my partner intends to do more nappy changes as its a bonding thing :) she does laugh that her bonding will be over poop while mine will be over food!

Cool, well not cool, but just wanted to make sure it was normal enough...:D
    Although if you're with Aviva I think most policies cover €400 of pelvic physio with a place in U Mamma in Kilmacanogue.

Speaking of food :) has anyone else checked whether you can eat during labour?

In limerick, you can't eat once you are in the labour room! The midwives want to change it but docs want to keep the rule for the cases when women need an emergency section under general anesthetic....you can eat on the labour ward just not once you have moved to the individual room :)

It's another rule that seems to depend on where you are attending!

AFAIK once you've had any medication IV or Gas or Epi you can't have anything, but our midwife said to bring in some fruit juice or even a smoothie and you should be allowed them and they'll keep your energy up.

I get the pelvic pain on and off, especially in bed. Said it to doc and he didn't even acknowledge it.

Try keeping your knees together when getting in or out of bed or the car, don't kinda swing your legs out, if you know what I mean.

I'm really hating being back at work today. Main boss didn't tell my line manager (who assigns us our duties) that I was off tomorrow and fri morn so he's in a huff with me now over that.
    Got a complaining call at 9.30am this morn over something a colleague hadn't done. It wasn't anything serious it was more like dotting the 'i's' and crossing the 't's' scenario but my colleague won't accept responsibility for it and said she was following instruction, but her story did change a few times. This woman is in her 40's and has recently taken on a new role that she's had no formal training for but yet won't listen to anyone who tries to help her out. Even tho I'm far more experienced than her and willing to help her out in anyway I can she looks down on me because I'm younger, so how cld I possibly know!!!!!!Agh!sorry rant over. Three weeks left!

AFAIK once you've had any medication IV or Gas or Epi you can't have anything, but our midwife said to bring in some fruit juice or even a smoothie and you should be allowed them and they'll keep your energy up.

or glucose sweets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

barremic wrote: »
    i went a bit ocd with the babies bag, all the outfits in ziplock bags with bibs, hats and mittens so i dont have to rummage.

This is a great idea! My OH will laugh at me for doing it but I don't care. When I pack my suitcase if going away, I put sections of clothes into plastic bags (ie; all the tops folded into one, undies in another), stops everything getting all mixed up in your case. I'm so anal sometimes
    Quick question, are any of you suffering with pelvic pain or hip pain (hip pain is mostly at night).

Yes! I really am exact same as what Kash said, can't move my legs out of a certain zone or it hurts too much. Feel bruised around my hips but also inside my pelvis. I really feel like there is a head wedged in there & it ain't comfortable. I really can't do much walking at all.

The worst though is if I'm standing or walking around for more than 10 minutes, the fronts of my thighs go numb & tingly and it's a horrible sensation.
    The reality of labour might be far better than what he imagined in his dream so he might be fine on the day. Might be worth getting some Vick or something for him to sniff if he is feeling faint at any point.

I think this is a good idea. When I was my sister's birth partner, there was a definite... aroma... in the hot stuffy room when she gave birth. It wasn't a poo/puke smell, it was just the smell of all the fluids coming out (there were a lot of hind waters) and it was a perfectly normal smell. I'm not normally squeamish but I remember being a bit weirded out by it.
    Kildareash - he will know all about what the fuss is about if he gets to deal with the first nappy :D

Yep, it took me ages to get that sticky tar stuff off my nephew while the midwife was sorting out my sister. It really is like tar, doesn't actually smell though which is interesting as it's been fermenting in their guts for several months :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I've bought a tub of vaseline and intructed my OH to put it on babys bottom before the first nappy goes on so cleaning up the myconium will be easier.

Just got a sort of nursing bra in Mothercare for a tennor, on sale obviously and picked up the maternity pads and breast pads. That's my bag finished!

Feeling rotten today. Very tired and got sore ears and headache. Working today, tomorrow and Friday so long week ahead of me then babyshower on Sat. But that's not till the afternoon.

Felt so bad had to go have Mcdonalds for Lunch :D Do not under any circumstances order the Starburst Milkshake, it is vile!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mink wrote: »

Yep, it took me ages to get that sticky tar stuff off my nephew while the midwife was sorting out my sister. It really is like tar, doesn't actually smell though which is interesting as it's been fermenting in their guts for several months :eek:

My baby did his first poo half on my and half on my gyny straight after he came out...I was half out of it so I can't really remember it, I just know someone else cleaned it up!

Advertisement