Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I was heading to West Africa before and was talking to a Nigerian before I went. He actually warned me to stay away from any Nigerians!
    Anyone I met from other countries didn't like the Nigerians at all, even in West Africa they had a reputation for being dishonest.

Although when I was there, I only met a couple and they were sound.

ah now I know one of their princes who has vast monies to deposit to my account in a most spectacular offering of generousity once I pay the cheque clearing fee, sound bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

IrishZeus wrote: »
    White people in general, yes.

You in particular, no. :p

(I kid!)

:(

My mother says I'm the most handsome boy in town!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I'm sick of hearing victims of abuse referred to as "survivors". It comes across as incredibly patronizing, and I suspect has more to do with the feel - good factor for those who say it than the majority of victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The Spanish football team, while undoubtedly excellent, are quite mechanical and can be boring at times.
    I don't like Barcelona either. No doubt they're great but I lost time for them after the el Classico's where they were trying to get people sent off and diving,it was horribly tedious to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

All people who are proffessional footballers are scum. Anybody who seriously tried to be one is scum too.

I'll let the older players of Charlton era away and say the scum came later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sepulchre17

I don't like kids.

Thank You! I HATE kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sepulchre17

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Tea coffee and pancake i understand, but ice cream????
    Hate the flavour and texture.
    Giselle wrote: »
    Unless you're in 'Ye Olde Tea/Coffee House of Pancakes and Ice Cream' for dinner, it can't be that big an issue.
    Hahaha, no it's not an issue, just hearing 'oh my god you're so weird' gets OLD after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The irish "language". Glorified Neanderthal grunts. Ban it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I'm sick of hearing victims of abuse referred to as "survivors". It comes across as incredibly patronizing, and I suspect has more to do with the feel - good factor for those who say it than the majority of victims.
    no I think you're wrong there. Most victims don't see themselves as victims - that's a negative label placed on them by the rest of society, one that only increases the stigma and sense of shame for them. They have survived abuse, not succumbed to it - therefore, 'survivor' is a more appropriate label than 'victim'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I
    no I think you're wrong there. Most victims don't see themselves as victims - that's a negative label placed on them by the rest of society, one that only increases the stigma and sense of shame for them. They have survived abuse, not succumbed to it - therefore, 'survivor' is a more appropriate label than 'victim'

And that's your opinion. I still think it's incredibly twee, and so done some friends of mine who were abuse victims. They don't take offence at being called victims either. It's like "Special" people ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I hate atheist that bitch about religion without having an understanding of religion

And that's your opinion.
    Yeah my opinion and my experience. I thought it might be a little more informed than the OP's so thought it might be useful for him/her to hear

...just saw you're the OP. There was no offence intended. Only trying to help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

:(

My mother says I'm the most handsome boy in town!

Fear not, your Majesty. I'd ride ya.;)

I still think it's incredibly twee.
    and that's your opinion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I really like the human race, In fact I like humans more than animals (gasp)! and I would rather see all the endangered whales in the world slaughtered then one single child die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

ahal wrote: »
    And that's your opinion. I still think it's incredibly twee, and so done some friends of mine who were abuse victims. They don't take offence at being called victims either. It's like "Special" people ffs!

Special isn't a great word, my partner has a disability and if anyone called him special I'd give them a clatter round the ear.

Ok so some of your friends prefer to be called this, some of the other poster's friends prefer to be called that. If you are an abuse victim/survivor and you decided that to each their own, it's not that you don't have any other choice but to get on with it or through it, you have to survive it, maybe its not correct as a traditional definition in some cases but thats why language can develop and that term certainly has, and look its fine if its in dispute it only matters the individual person who has experienced abuse. So what do you refer to them as, well as long as its not insulting grand you can't please everyone.

I really do hate though when people say tried to commit suicide, like its a crime, I would see that as an unpopular opinion because most people don't seem to see a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Id rather live in continental europe or asia than in Ireland. North America, or any of the english speaking countries

I really do hate though when people say tried to commit suicide, like its a crime, I would see that as an unpopular opinion because most people don't seem to see a problem with it.
    you mean you don't like the 'commit' part? What do you say - ''they tried to kill themselves''? It just seems a bit too blunt to me :pac:

you mean you don't like the 'commit' part? What do you say - ''they tried to kill themselves''? It just seems a bit too blunt to me :pac:

Suicide's fairly blunt, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I think if endangered animals are endangered, let them die off - it is the natural way of the world.

There is no such thing as good or evil people, only small minds who can't see shades of gray.

The prison system does not work - how it continues to be the main form of punishment is beyond me.

I cannot relate to capitalist or right-wing views at all.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

I think Star Wars: Episode I is actually pretty good, and the best of the prequels.

kathern lynch is a loud fat annoying b***h, and not even mildly amusing.

gay byrne is a patronising old w***ker.

ray darcy is turning into gay byrne.

why do people make such a big deal about saving the whales and dolphins?? what about all the other fish, why discriminate? because dolphins are cute is it? they swim beside you? ooooooh! bet you could easily swim alongside a shoal of ordinary old fish too.

climate change is just life. was bound to happen. its nature. so we are speeding it up a bit, so what? we are people, its just nature.
    ireland was once had a tropical climate, then twas freezing in an ice age. its always changing. such is nature.

people who believe its ok for women to travel to another country to have a termination, or you believe its ok to allow rape victims to have a termination, but not in any other case are hypocritical a**holes. you either agree or you dont, make a choice and stick with it. (i believe it should be allowed in this country, btw!)

i shall post again!!

Jester252 wrote: »
    I hate atheist that bitch about religion without having an understanding of religion

Love your enemies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I think the (genuine) protestors at the "Occupy" protests are naive fools.

They act as if the way the system has worked for decades is something new and surprising and i find their calls for "fairness" to be a tad childish. The world isn't fair, never has been and never will be. If they got into power tomorrow they'd act exactly the same way as the people there now.

I fully support their right to protest but their message is just delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

bubblypop wrote: »
    whales and dolphins?? what about all the other fish

Must resist...

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Must resist...

ok, ok,fair enough, so slight change then, why are mammals in the sea more important than the little fishes??? arguement still stands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

bubblypop wrote: »
    why do people make such a big deal about saving the whales and dolphins?? what about all the other fish, why discriminate? because dolphins are cute is it? they swim beside you? ooooooh! bet you could easily swim alongside a shoal of ordinary old fish too.
    Charismatic megafauna

I think Premier League footballers deserve every penny they get. Top level football is an entertainment business and they are the stars in a relatively short insecure career, not the club directors. No one complains when Tom Cruise or Adam Sandler gets $20million+ for every movie they make.

Still wouldn't watch much football though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Save the Sardine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

It is what it is.

I did the ASIST suicide intervention course and its hard to get into your head but being blunt straight up without being hurtful is the best way to go.
    I would have to ask someone after listening to them enough that ive noticed something im worried are you thinking of killing yourself and wait for a yes or no answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I think Ryan Tubridy is ok. I really don't see why so many people loathe the man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement