Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Fair city is a decent show considering the actors only get 1 take most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

major bill wrote: »
    Fair city is a decent show considering the actors only get 1 take most of the time.

There are more holes in the storylines than swiss cheese but it's not the worst programme on the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Fair City is where actors go when the fail to get any roles in ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I really like English people!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

but I couldn't eat a whole one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently working in Nottingham for the month and everyone here's nice and friendly. Customer service is great, the staff seem genuinely friendly and it's not like they're fishing for tips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

"It's more important for bands to concentrate on touring, as this is where the money is"

Any thinking along the lines of the above is frequently trotted out again and again in debates about the music industry/piracy etc. "Oh it's grand, musicians will just recuperate the money lost from copyright infringement on the road"

It's just not true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Leonardo De Caprio deserved to win an Oscar for The Wolf of Wall Street.
    He was good in that one scene with the coke and the hookers, shame they repeated it 174 times over the 3 hour runtime.

Nah but my unpopular opinion for WOWS is that the screenplay seriously failed DiCaprio's acting and Scorsese's direction. So tedious and got redundant after half an hour. A film that hits you over the head with the same point over and over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I hate the way alot of people in this country live for the weekend and spend the first half of their week talking about how fu£ked they are from the previous weekend while the second half of the week is spent talking about how sloshed they are going to get next weekend...

Couldn't agree more. I thought it was just a thing with people in college but nope, i'm 31 and people i know are still ****eing on about getting wrecked at the weekend and still being half cut on Monday morning like it's a badge of honour.

We have a huge problem with alcohol in this country and it is a ticking timebomb along with our widespread obesity. We are a very unhealthy nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Chiwetel Ejiofor deserved to win the Oscar for 12 Years a Slave. Easily the best performance of those nominated, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

He was great definitely but everyone expects greatness from him. No one expected the complete turnaround by Matthew McConaughey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Elvis was a Cajun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

I think we should allow the choice of euthanasia in this country. Specifically if someone has a terminal disease.

I don't think suicide is selfish. A friend said to me, "Suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do". I don't agree with that. In my view, a person shouldn't have to struggle through life to appease friends and family. I think you have to accept that if a person is willing to go as far as to take their own life, then they are going through horrors that you cannot understand and shouldn't write off as being stupid or selfish.

That said, if a peson can genuinely get help, great, but I don't think emotional blackmail by family or friends is a great reason to live life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Sucker Punch was a good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yogosan wrote: »
    I don't think suicide is selfish. A friend said to me, "Suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do". I don't agree with that. In my view, a person shouldn't have to struggle through life to appease friends and family. I think you have to accept that if a person is willing to go as far as to take their own life, then they are going through horrors that you cannot understand and shouldn't write off as being stupid or selfish.

That said, if a peson can genuinely get help, great, but I don't think emotional blackmail by family or friends is a great reason to live life.

I actually totally agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I think we should allow the choice of euthanasia in this country. Specifically if someone has a terminal disease.

I never understood that. If a person is thinking about suicide then chances are they think they are doing their friends and family a favour by getting rid of themselves from their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

We spend far too much money on providing access for wheelchair users and blind people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I never understood that. If a person is thinking about suicide then chances are they think they are doing their friends and family a favour by getting rid of themselves from their life.

It's selfish to express an opinion on this subject if you've had no knowledge or experience of it.

Anybody thats going to describe a mentally ill person as selfish is a dirty scumbag and hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

Expressing these opinions is insensitive and is never going to help anyone.

Not useful, Never going to be appreciated by anyone and just should not be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

We spend far too much money on providing access for wheelchair users and blind people.

How much do we spend?
    What access is provided for blind people?
    And how much would be acceptable to spend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sadderday wrote: »
    It's selfish to express an opinion on this subject if you've had no knowledge or experience of it.

Anybody thats going to describe a mentally ill person as selfish is a dirty scumbag and hasn't a clue what they are talking about.

Expressing these opinions is insensitive and is never going to help anyone.

Not useful, Never going to be appreciated by anyone and just should not be said.

How do you know he has no experience or knowledge of it? What he has said about people who contemplate suicide seeing it as a benefit to their friends and family because they won't be holding them back mirrors what I heard from people close to me who suffered from depression and suicide ideation and what I've read online from first hand accounts such as Conor Cusack.

Saying people shouldn't talk about it full stop is making a subject taboo which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. If someone has a dunderheaded opinion on suicide, correct them on it; don't tell them never to talk about it. That's silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Its not so much emotional blackmail but there is a definite media slant towards "think of the people you will leave behind". Friends lost a daughter to suicide at 23 - the whole family was torn apart, and I swear my mother must have reminded us at least twice a day "I'd die if anything happened to you, please dont ever do that to me and your father" - sometimes when someone is struggling with emotional distress, it just seems like another guilt lumped onto them. I fought with depression in my younger years and many a dark time my mother's voice would pop into my head, and the thought of what suicide would do to her was horrendous - to the point that I nearly resented her! But then, if it deters is it not a good thing?

I agree wrt euthanaisia, but floodgate issue a concern too I suppose.

How do you know he has no experience or knowledge of it? What he has said about people who contemplate suicide seeing it as a benefit to their friends and family because they won't be holding them back mirrors what I heard from people close to me who suffered from depression and suicide ideation and what I've read online from first hand accounts such as Conor Cusack.

Saying people shouldn't talk about it full stop is making a subject taboo which is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. If someone has a dunderheaded opinion on suicide, correct them on it; don't tell them never to talk about it. That's silly.

It wasn't aimed at either previous post. In general, hearing people calling suicide selfish is one I hear a lot of and don't agree with.

I replied because I only had a discussion in work recently with people that were using the 'selfish' word over and over and many of them did admit they had no experience of any mental illness themselves or in their families.

This followed the news of the man on the roof of a building on college green.

Calling this man selfish is self centred. Look at the picture. Whether its attention seeking or a genuine attempt to kill himself - this man needs help.

I think people need to open their eyes and try to be more positive and helpful.

I never said not to talk about it, I think its wonderful to discuss it and take away detach the taboo - I'm in agreement with you.

I just find the term 'suicide is selfish' as a statement made by selfish people.

If my loved one killed themselves, I don't want hear that.

I was just saying that such statements are of no use to anyone but could cause more hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sadderday wrote: »
    It wasn't aimed at either previous post. In general, hearing people calling suicide selfish is one I hear a lot of and don't agree with.

I replied because I only had a discussion in work recently with people that were using the 'selfish' word over and over and many of them did admit they had no experience of any mental illness themselves or in their families.

This followed the news of the man on the roof of a building on college green.

Calling this man selfish is self centred. Look at the picture. Whether its attention seeking or a genuine attempt to kill himself - this man needs help.

I think people need to open their eyes and try to be more positive and helpful.

I never said not to talk about it, I think its wonderful to discuss it and take away detach the taboo - I'm in agreement with you.

I just find the term 'suicide is selfish' as a statement made by selfish people.

If my loved one killed themselves, I don't want hear that.

I was just saying that such statements are of no use to anyone but could cause more hurt.

Okay, quoting the other post threw me off. I'm in totally agreement with you here in terms of the 'suicide is selfish' comments.

Okay, quoting the other post threw me off. I'm in totally agreement with you here in terms of the 'suicide is selfish' comments.

Sorry my fault I wasn't concise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ugh, Sucker Punch was like Snyder tried to out-Michael Bay Michael Bay :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I hate the way alot of people in this country live for the weekend and spend the first half of their week talking about how fu£ked they are from the previous weekend while the second half of the week is spent talking about how sloshed they are going to get next weekend...

I wrote a song about that once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
    The bloody clubs are bloody full
    Of bloody girls and bloody guys
    With bloody murder in their eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

God that's a moronic statement.

Are we to confine people with disabilities to certain areas because it's too much to make places accessible?

Accept their taxes but tell them to F off when they just want to be able to go to the same places as you can without fuss?

What would that money be better spent on?

Definitely one of the oddest posts I've seen on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement