Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 crimewave

Galtee wrote: »
    :eek: You take that back!

Georga salpa has a head like a dog's arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh it's the "Comparing heads to objects they in no way resemble" game - I love this game!

Justin Timberlake has a head like a... tin of beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Madam_X wrote: »
    Justin Timberlake has a head like a... tin of beans.

I always thought he had an instant noodle type head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

When a woman wishes to conceive a baby, she has to get a permit from the appropriate authority. This permit is delivered if it is shown the baby can be cared for fully and not in poverty or in the hands of ill equipped parents. Any mother who produces a baby and does not have a permit has the child taken away from her and fined. In addition, the permit would raise cash for the State given that it'll cost €50 to get one in the first place. This is a great basic skeleton to work from and it's only a matter of time before the PPP is introduced (Permit Permitting Pregnancy).
    They used to have a system similar to this in place in Ireland - it was called the "Magdalene Laundries" (except it didn't have the fines, you just worked to pay off your moral penance to society and maybe someday if you were lucky, someone would sign you out of the place, if they could live with the shame). It was abolished because even though it was run by "well meaning moral role models of society" :rolleyes: it was found to be inhumane and caused more long term damgae than good, mainly because it was a short sighted system thought out by people who could only think in black and white.

They have a similar system in China today whereby couples have to obtain a permit to have a child. if you fall short of this permit (usually because they already have a child) then there is (NSFW) dire consequences.

If people were abitrary numbers without emotion, then it would be easy to have such basic solutions as you have but we are not, so I hope you click on the "dire consequences" link and google "Magdalene Laundries" just to see what the consequences of the system you envision produce.

I agree with you that there are many parents not fit to be parents but most do a good job, even if they are parents by "accident".

Tl:dr people are not dogs. You cannot license who can and can't have a child simply because a few are f*ckups.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Do the Russian and Finnish kids grow up to be scum as a result?

Have a guess. Anyway, the argument is moot because correlation does not imply cauasality.

(They do quiet well in Finland, but there are many other factors, to be fair.)

Anywya, I'm referring to the custom as good or bad parenting.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I'm sick and tired of the media coverage and reaction to the bombs in Boston. It's overdone to beyond belief.
    Minutes silence everywhere, hours of repeat coverage on local TV and radio shows being broadcast from Boston. As far as I'm concerned, it was a minor event on a world scale and considering that they bombed the s**t out of Iraq and Afghanistan for the last ten years, how in the hell should they expect that it wouldn't happen to them?
    And all in a week where hundreds of people were killed or injured in earthquakes, fires, NATO f**kups and car bombs elsewhere.
    How many of the dead would be alive if they hadn't invaded Iraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

KenSwee wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of the media coverage and reaction to the bombs in Boston. It's overdone to beyond belief

The mini street parade when the guy was caught was vulgar. The news media showed themselves up for what they are: parasites. Between the NY Post printing an innocent 17 year old on the front page and defaming an innocent guy and his family they've behaved atrociously. This article shows exactly what they do; make a suggestion and then let people tun wild.

As for Twitter and FB, I hope they catch a fair few people and sue the ****ing hole off them as an example for bringing that Indian lad's name into disrepute. No names should ever be mentioned until it's officially given out by the police for the purpose of catching him. If you can go to jail for making racist comments on Twitter, for trying to organise a "riot" on Twitter then you should certainly be made to pay for torturing some innocent family by saying their missing relative is a bomber without a ****ing shred of evidence beyond what some forum dreamed up. Stuff like that just plays into the hands of people who want to regulate the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

KenSwee wrote: »
    I'm sick and tired of the media coverage and reaction to the bombs in Boston. It's overdone to beyond belief.
    Minutes silence everywhere, hours of repeat coverage on local TV and radio shows being broadcast from Boston. As far as I'm concerned, it was a minor event on a world scale and considering that they bombed the s**t out of Iraq and Afghanistan for the last ten years, how in the hell should they expect that it wouldn't happen to them?
    And all in a week where hundreds of people were killed or injured in earthquakes, fires, NATO f**kups and car bombs elsewhere.
    How many of the dead would be alive if they hadn't invaded Iraq?

It's obvious that a state which engages in wars in which innocent people get killed is storing up trouble in terms of revenge attacks for itself in future. It's also obvious that there are many hypocrites in the media and in the US government itself which is actually not unlike the situation both at home and not unlike the situation in the countries where ignored and innocent people get killed.
    However this did not stop me from being worried sick about my two dozen cousins in Boston because like many Irish people I know someone personally who was there at the race and who lives in the city. It also did not stop me being appalled and sickened by this senseless pointless and really insanely stupid attack in general just like I am when I hear bad news from any other corner of the Earth. I think wall to wall media coverage was a good thing which helped catch the perps. That is the standard which we are supposed to have. Now if we kept that standard up and had proper coverage of all atrocities then we would be much closer to a solution for them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Following on from the who is and isn't allowed to become pregnant, I'm a firm believer in sterilisation. I always thought about it being an option to prevent the "scum of the country" from spawning (i.e. Still having to put up with them ourselves but saving future generations).

Then, after reading a particular case of a scumbag beating up and eventually killing a champion kick-boxer (This one), I am now convinced that sterilisation is a positive step forward. It wouldn't even have to be forced sterilisation. For example, if the scumbag in the aforementioned case was offered a 4 years off his sentence if he agreed to be sterilised. Essentially we're just removing him from the 'gene pool'.

BTW, about the above scummer, I also distinctly remember seeing that he was also on parole for another, undoubtedly heinous, crime.

Anyway IMO, sterilisation is the way forward, with increased sentences should the scum decline the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate when people come onto a thread and say thoughts and prayers are with those affected following a shooting or disaster. Or the faux sincere 'condolences to all involved'.

I bet you nobody prays for them. In fact, you'll probably find them slating religions in other threads. And condolences? What, via boards.ie??!
    I
    Also dislike people simply posting RIP on a thread. We know you're doing it just to follow the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

No, it makes you a proper (local team) fan.

I'd perfer to watch Barcelona than Bray Wnderers, simply because of the quality of the football I'm going to see, but I support neither team.

The main problem I have with LOI, though, is the price of the tickets.

Price of the tickets... dear God I've never heard such scutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

What is fast becoming one of my pet hates, is when you go on to the FB pages of various animal welfare groups. More often than not because they are all being inundated with strays, they will be looking for a foster home for an animal and many of these are emergencies. So they will put up a photo of the animal with an appeal. Invariably within 2 minutes the following replies start coming in:
    "OMG!!HE IS SO CUTE 3>"
    "He is lovely and I would love to take him BUT I have four dogs eight cats and twelve hamsters of mu own so I couldn't POSSIBLY you see because I am doing Oh so very much already".

The groups are probably seeing these messages come in and getting hopeful that they have found someone willing to foster the animal, when the reality is that all they are getting is reams of gushing insincere sentimental martyr complexes. If you are taking care of animals already, Wonderful, but please dont take up an appeal for another animal to tell us ALL about it. I don't need to be told the animal is cute. I can make up my own mind thanks.
    If you are not in a position to help, please just quietly share and move on. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hate when people come onto a thread and say thoughts and prayers are with those affected following a shooting or disaster. Or the faux sincere 'condolences to all involved'.

I bet you nobody prays for them. In fact, you'll probably find them slating religions in other threads. And condolences? What, via boards.ie??!
    I
    Also dislike people simply posting RIP on a thread. We know you're doing it just to follow the thread.

You're in our prayers bro!

I

I don't think thse sentiments are meant literally (although maybe, if the poster/person is a churchgoer, or practices a religion). It's more a case of emphatising with what the friends or relatives are going through.

I agree with you point about the nessecity of posting it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Mazeire wrote: »
    What is fast becoming one of my pet hates, is when you go on to the FB pages of various animal welfare groups. More often than not because they are all being inundated with strays, they will be looking for a foster home for an animal and many of these are emergencies. So they will put up a photo of the animal with an appeal. Invariably within 2 minutes the following replies start coming in:
    "OMG!!HE IS SO CUTE 3>"
    "He is lovely and I would love to take him BUT I have four dogs eight cats and twelve hamsters of mu own so I couldn't POSSIBLY you see because I am doing Oh so very much already".

The groups are probably seeing these messages come in and getting hopeful that they have found someone willing to foster the animal, when the reality is that all they are getting is reams of gushing insincere sentimental martyr complexes. If you are taking care of animals already, Wonderful, but please dont take up an appeal for another animal to tell us ALL about it. I don't need to be told the animal is cute. I can make up my own mind thanks.
    If you are not in a position to help, please just quietly share and move on. Thanks.

I know what you mean, but at least it'll come up in more newsfeeds the more comments that get posted. That means more people will see it and the chances of them getting a home will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Have a guess. Anyway, the argument is moot because correlation does not imply cauasality.

(They do quiet well in Finland, but there are many other factors, to be fair.)

Anywya, I'm referring to the custom as good or bad parenting.

Well what do you think it is?

Price of the tickets... dear God I've never heard such scutter.

... and yet you can't comment further...??

Well what do you think it is?

Good parenting? Pretty obvious: providing love, care, food, shelter, security - both emotional and physical, a variety of new experiences and an open mind with which to view the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

I know what you mean, but at least it'll come up in more newsfeeds the more comments that get posted. That means more people will see it and the chances of them getting a home will increase.

Same thing can also be achieved by also simply sharing it and not simpering or whingeing all over the comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

I

This, I was just about to post this. One guy I know is a fiend for doing this and he's no more sympathetic.

On my own opinion I feel that (this probably would have been more valid back when Ireland had money) anyone who is offered a part-time job to take them off the dole and they refuse it without having a valid and confirmed reason (i.e. they just don't feel like doing menial labour) should have their dole cut off imeediately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mazeire wrote: »
    Same thing can also be achieved by also simply sharing it and not simpering or whingeing all over the comments section.

Tbf, if it's a facebook page for an animal shelter, a fair few of its followers are going to be whingers and simperers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

... and yet you can't comment further...??
    Okay, is it that the price of the ticket is too high or too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

eviltwin wrote: »
    What if things are going well for you when you have a baby but 5/10 years down the line things hit the skids. Do we have forced adoption?
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They used to have a system similar to this in place in Ireland - it was called the "Magdalene Laundries" (except it didn't have the fines, you just worked to pay off your moral penance to society and maybe someday if you were lucky, someone would sign you out of the place, if they could live with the shame). It was abolished because even though it was run by "well meaning moral role models of society" :rolleyes: it was found to be inhumane and caused more long term damgae than good, mainly because it was a short sighted system thought out by people who could only think in black and white.

Tl:dr people are not dogs. You cannot license who can and can't have a child simply because a few are f*ckups.

It was just a joke! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

A lot of grandparents (women in their late 50's/early 60's being the worst offenders) are far too obsessive about their grandchildren, nearly thinking they are their own or something. My parents have cancelled some of their friends because they became such boring, droning, one dimensional dry sh1tes after their grandchildren were born to fill the place of the 2nd or 3rd child they always wanted. Pathetic.

Addle wrote: »
    What % of dogs in this country are licensed?

Should see the hoops one has to jump through to adopt a dog - home checks and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Should see the hoops one has to jump through to adopt a dog - home checks and everything!

Yeah, you don't have to do any of that when you're adopting a baby. They just hand them out like skittles.

Yeah, you don't have to do any of that when you're adopting a baby. They just hand them out like skittles.

It was in response to an argument about needing a license to have a baby, not adopt one.

People can pro-create to their heart's content...

Tbf, if it's a facebook page for an animal shelter, a fair few of its followers are going to be whingers and simperers.

What about the "10,000 likes to beat cancer" or "my sister thinks she's not pretty, lets get 1 million likes to show her she is" - they are far more irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Anyone that says they're big boned or it runs in the family about being fat.

Very simply its because you eat poorly and don't exercise. If you exercise and eat well you will loose all of the weight. There is no need for weight loss books, diet pills, diets etc. Just exercise a few days a week and stop eating too much food and fizzy drinks and you will loose any excess weight very quickly.

• Advertisement

power101 wrote: »
    Anyone that says they're big boned or it runs in the family about being fat.

Very simply its because you eat poorly and don't exercise. If you exercise and eat well you will loose all of the weight. There is no need for weight loss books, diet pills, diets etc. Just exercise a few days a week and stop eating too much food and fizzy drinks and you will loose any excess weight very quickly.

Dont't think it qualifies as an opinion when it's factually incorrect...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement