Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I think Israel should be disbanded as a country since they are a bunch of untrustworthy good for nothings who will turn on the west as soon as it benefits them. (They also get away with murder - literally)

I don't care if someone calls me anti-Semitic or whatever since that boat has sailed a long time ago especially since they are committing their own style genocide on Palestine.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zinx wrote: »
    Ok then,off the top of my head...

1.Eastenders-2 and a half homos in it.
    2.Corrie-2 lezzys and a gay who works in a KNICKER FACTORY
    3.Emmerdale-A psychotic homo who put the lad he was riding into a wheel chair and then poisioned him.
    4.Fair City-Another Lezzy
    5.Im A Celebrity-Full of them every season without fail.
    6.X-factor-Same as above only worse.
    7.Off The Rails-I hardly need to identify the gay in that,surely?

Im sure there are more but all of the above are big rating grabbers and I think there is an agenda to normalise being queer.Who knows how many of the producers/writers/directors are gaylords as well??

A sneaky campaign by elements of the media to push the gay agenda down peoples throat.

Horrible

I was worried this thread wouldnt be funny enough, then this post happened, keep em coming sailor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    From backpacking abroad my experience is that Americans are actually pretty sound, polite and respect the cultures/laws of the country they're in.....Canadians on the other hand tended be a right shower of arrogant pricks and always quick to play on the "oh we're not American, we're Canadian" to excuse themselves*

*I am fully aware of the irony, given the symmetry played out between the Irish/English here.
    Most Americans I've met were the same. Friendly, cultured and all round good eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

So this lad was really a foreigner, maybe we should get rid of this and this from outside Cork city hall, bloody foreigners using our plinths. :)

They're from cork so in theory, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    From backpacking abroad my experience is that Americans are actually pretty sound, polite and respect the cultures/laws of the country they're in.....Canadians on the other hand tended be a right shower of arrogant pricks and always quick to play on the "oh we're not American, we're Canadian" to excuse themselves*

I agree about Americans. Always sound. Same with English imho.

And from my experience travelling around, the one nationality I can genuinely say has the highest (by a mile) percentage of assholes is....(drumroll...)

....Israeli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I think "take a break has much better stories than woman's own.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I agree about Americans. Always sound. Same with English imho.
    I'd agree on that, though giving the Yanks the slight edge on the polite and sound front. They're polite almost to a fault I've found.
    And from my experience travelling around, the one nationality I can genuinely say has the highest (by a mile) percentage of assholes is....(drumroll...)

....Israeli.
    Yea ditto. Though I'd add more the younger ones. Eager to be as direct and twatty as possible, almost as a badge of honour. And it's defo not a "Jewish thing"(though no doubt suggested as one by eejits. On both sides). The non Israeli Jews I've known(Locals, Americans and older Israeli folks) in my experience are sound and genuine. Indeed funny enough I often found Jewish Americans a better fit for Irish people than Irish Americans for some reason. Then you have Irish Mammy and Jewish Mammy, separated at birth. If you're a male Irish Jew, you're basically fcuked on that score. :D

Greeks I personally found a bit weird and very bipolar. Either the soundest, most genuine human beings you could meet, who couldn't do enough for you, or the biggest twats on this planet. Odd.

Northern Irish folks I've found can be a bit defensive up front, but sound underneath. Yep including my dealings with dyed in the wool unionists. Obviously more reticent with a "Fenian" as they see it, but again on the surface and on brief acquaintance. Looking back at the various situations in my life where I needed actual help and got it, one of them was a taciturn old Orangeman who went beyond the call of duty for me.

TL;DR, most people are pretty sound once you get beyond the mask and are open. Dicks are universal, though can tend to concentrate depending on culture.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I dont like whites

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Living in New Zealand i'd be lynched for saying such a thing but.... No way should the All Blacks have won the Rugby World Cup!

*hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Akrasia wrote: »
    Unpopular opinions?

1. Parents don't really have that much of an effect on the personalities of their children (other than by providing the genes) If little Johnnie is a little sh1t, it's probably because he was born that way and than his environment encouraged that behaviour (his siblings, peers, school, neighbourhood etc have more of an impact than the way his parents raise him)
    (obviously extreme parental abuse is an exception as this can stunt development, and parents can enable the child to have access to opportunities to learn skills and develop talents, but personality is out of their control)

Unpopular opinion 2,
    Despite the media constantly telling us that the world is falling apart, we've never ever had it so good. 'Traditional' methods of doing almost everything are demonstrably worse than the ways they are done now

The highlighted phrase makes your statement untrue.

From what you're saying, children start out a basal level of personality and are over time 'modified' from this point only by their parents abusive tendencies and all other influences from friends siblings etc?

• Advertisement

supermouse wrote: »
    Living in New Zealand i'd be lynched for saying such a thing but.... No way should the All Blacks have won the Rugby World Cup!

*hides*
    Oh, that reminds me:

The haka is one of the saddest and most pathetic sites in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

From tonight. I honestly think soccer will always have a bigger place in Irish people's hearts than rugby ever will. The Irish soccer team has provided more seminal moments in Irish sporting history than any other professional sport (I say professional because the GAA probably holds a bigger sway again seeing as it's the natinal sport).

Rugby has really only come on in the last ten years, and it kind of bugs me to see how popular the Irish rugby team has become in comparison to the soccer team, considering at the end of the day the rugby team only play five competitive games each year, and play in a world cup they don't have to qualify for every four years, yet are seen as being succesful despite perpetually under-achieving (with the Grand Slam in 09 being the exception)

The footballers have punched way above their weight since the days of Jackie's army, and the fact that soccer is a far more globally competitive sport makes any success they may achieve (i.e qualifying for major tournaments) far more impressive than anything the egg-chasers do.

Yes ROG's drop goal in 09 and Leinster and Munster's Heineken Cup success's are great for Irish sport, but are they as legendary as Italia 90, Stuttgart 88, Giants Staduim 94, and on the other end of the scale, the Hand of Gaul in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

From tonight. I honestly think soccer will always have a bigger place in Irish people's hearts than rugby ever will. The Irish soccer team has provided more seminal moments in Irish sporting history than any other professional sport (I say professional because the GAA probably holds a bigger sway again seeing as it's the natinal sport).

Rugby has really only come on in the last ten years, and it kind of bugs me to see how popular the Irish rugby team has become in comparison to the soccer team, considering at the end of the day the rugby team only play five competitive games each year, and play in a world cup they don't have to qualify for every four years, yet are seen as being succesful despite perpetually under-achieving (with the Grand Slam in 09 being the exception)

The footballers have punched way above their weight since the days of Jackie's army, and the fact that soccer is a far more globally competitive sport makes any success they may achieve (i.e qualifying for major tournaments) far more impressive than anything the egg-chasers do.

Yes ROG's drop goal in 09 and Leinster and Munster's Heineken Cup success's are great for Irish sport, but are they as legendary as Italia 90, Stuttgart 88, Giants Staduim 94, and on the other end of the scale, the Hand of Gaul in 2009?
    WRONG
    The irish rugby squad won the triple crown
    The irish soccer squad won nothing.
    The rugby team actually plays big major countries and beats them well.
    The soccer team plays countries you've never heard of and loses half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

If you have a negative opinion on the travelling community you get bollocked.

There's always some sop story put in place to condone what they do. Their lifestyle is excepted as a "culture" which i think is wrong...Unless crime is considered a culture these days.

Most stories about travellers are negative. Maybe we should just except that the majority of these people have a negative influence on society. They contribute nothing, their not expected to work, their kids aren't expected to attend school, The rules of the road don't apply and their treatment of animals is deplorable.

Society is far to lenient with them. All i am asking is that they are made abide by the same rules and laws like the rest of us do, and when they break them their punished. Its hardly to much to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Pointing out the utter stupidity of the following terms

Travelling community
    Non National

Is not necessairly an attack on or criticism of members of the communities in question.

Crying Being on reality TV shows should equal automatic elimination (as in execution).

FYP!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    WRONG

Soccer is the worlds sport. Rugby is played properly by about 10 countries and we're one of them. So, with so little competition in rugby, it's no surprise we occasionally win the odd competition.

WRONG

The triple crown? The yoke you win for beating a bad Scottish team, and Welsh and English teams that blow hot and cold year on year? What "big major country" have Ireland beaten well. Yes they beat Australia in the RWC but it all meant nothing when they played shocking against Wales when the pressure was on. The Irish soccer team doesn't lose half the time, they give any team a good run for their money on their day. Bear in the mind that soccer at the is played at a high standard everywhere across the world, and not by six countries in the Northern hemisphere and four in the southern hemisphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Soccer is the worlds sport. Rugby is played properly by about 10 countries and we're one of them. So, with so little competition in rugby, it's no surprise we occasionally win the odd competition.

Well there's American football - which seems alot like rugby to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I think corporation tax in Ireland should be increased.

Why should poor Irish workers subsidise the massive profits of multinational corporations. Low corporation tax seems to be sacrosant among Irish politicians who will happily cut blind pensions, reduce special needs assistants etc.

I believe the Irish economy can attract foreign investment on merits other than low corporate tax, eg. educated workforce, access to EU markets etc.

All this nonsense that everyone will feel the pain of austerity my arse.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Reality TV has a place on television for those who wish to watch it. Light entertainment involving the public has been around for decades, it's nothing new.
    People who insult others intelligence for watching these shows usually aren't spending their evenings watching intellectually, educationally and morally stimulating programmes themselves.

Euthanasia should be made legal. Animals are euthanised to ease their pain and suffering, yet human beings are forced to suffer until their bodies eventually give out. It's utterly cruel not to give people the choice to end their suffering if they wish to do so.

Under 18's who commit crime should not be exempt from prosecution. There should be a range of punishments specifically designed for them including parental fines, community service and boot camps.
    Criminals start young - it is only right they should pay for their crimes and start taking responsibility for their actions, rather than waiting until their 18th birthday and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

my farts smell great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Another unpopular opinion I hold - poo isn't funny, and neither are farts, ever. Not the ones that sound like 'pffft', not the ones that go 'twee' - none of them.
    If that makes me a dry shyte, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Being gay is a mental disorder or a lifestyle choice its not natural.

The triple crown? The yoke you win for beating a bad Scottish team, and Welsh and English teams that blow hot and cold year on year? What "big major country" have Ireland beaten well. Yes they beat Australia in the RWC but it all meant nothing when they played shocking against Wales when the pressure was on. The Irish soccer team doesn't lose half the time, they give any team a good run for their money on their day. Bear in the mind that soccer at the is played at a high standard everywhere across the world, and not by six countries in the Northern hemisphere and four in the southern hemisphere.
    This is nonsense.
    What "big major country" have Ireland beaten well
    You answered that for yourself.

We've proved ourselves as a brilliant rugby team by winning the six nations, the triple crown and the heineken cup.

The irish soccer team has achieved fúck all and they never will.
    they played shocking against Wales
    We've destroyed them on previous occasions.
    You're basing your opinion of the irish rugby team on our world cup performances alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I happen to think Bono is a sound lad.

That should have been the signal to close the thread immediately ;)

This is nonsense.

You answered that for yourself.

We've proved ourselves as a brilliant rugby team by winning the six nations, the triple crown and the heineken cup.

The irish soccer team has achieved fúck all and they never will.

We've destroyed them on previous occasions.
    You're basing your opinion of the irish rugby team on our world cup performances alone.

Look at the thread title lad. I must be doing a good job adhering to it's aims.

Oh and the triple Crown is a secondary competition. Ireland going out to win that is like one of Barca, United, Real going out to win the Europa League at the start of a Champions League campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

are you sharpening your cat claws again ? :D

Nope, I've been fairly restrained this time, this was more of a "sit back with popcorn" thread for me. :D

Look at the thread title lad. I must be doing a good job adhering to it's aims.

Lol forgot all about that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

Being gay is a mental disorder or a lifestyle choice its not natural.

A mental disorder?? What the fcuk are you on about??
    YOU'RE not natural

I love the show tool academy and there's not a bit wrong with a bit of trash TV
    I don't like meat in my sandwiches
    I went to a U2 concert and I liked it.......(oooooooh)

can't think of any more at the minute but I'm sure I have a few more controversial ones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement