Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

aidanki wrote: »
    anyone actually do this ?

how does it work, I had a cheap ebay €10 thing and it was crap, I would like to be able to transmit the stuff on my MP3 player to my car radio

im a beginner when in comes to electronics, but Im not exactly dumb and this looks like a nice little project?

Not yet.
    I ordered a cheapo set of 20cm jumper cables from eBay that should plug in nicely to the GPIO pin required.

But I'll definitely be giving it a go.
    As projects go, sticking a cable into a specific pin and running a program should be pretty simple.

I'm not expecting good quality sound, I'm just trying it out of curiosity.

eBay Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

So I have decided to take the plunge and buy one of these. I am a complete noob however. My main aim is to get it set up with xbmc. I ordered model B and a USB hub off farnell. I have a wifi dongle here as well as a SD card. I think all I need now is cheap power supply's and wireless mouse and keyboard. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

A mouse isnt really necessary, just a keyboard, XBMC is very easily navigated with a keyboard. as for a power supply any Micro USB phone charger would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Get one with a case. The shipping on a case from Amazon is 3 times the price of the actual case..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I seem to have an issue booting RaspBMC when my hard drive is powered on first.

I use the USB method for RaspBMC, boots nice and fast, but in the last week, my computer broke, and I've had to pull the USB stick to write over, and now it doesn't boot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Meesared wrote: »
    A mouse isnt really necessary, just a keyboard, XBMC is very easily navigated with a keyboard. as for a power supply any Micro USB phone charger would be fine

I think you need a better power supply for them, that's the worst of 5ish volt gear - current is high and no headroom for loss, the ones i got had a 2A PSU.

Adafruit do a psu with a 5 and a little bit volt output to counter cable loss

http://www.adafruit.com/products/501

Ive used a Phone charger from a Galaxy S 2 and had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

So I have decided to take the plunge and buy one of these. I am a complete noob however. My main aim is to get it set up with xbmc. I ordered model B and a USB hub off farnell. I think all I need now is cheap power supply's and wireless mouse and keyboard. Any recommendations?

I set mine up a few days ago. XBMC installed flawlessly on a G.Skill 32gb C10 card. However the Pi wasn't outputting enough to power my 500gb portable hd. I was using a sony phone charger. So I decided to get a powered USB hub. I've discovered that the Pi will work off the USB hub without needing the dedicated power supply. Not sure it that's a good thing or not though (as in I hope it's not bad for the Pi)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It will work off the powered hub until you have several other power hungry devices hanging off the hub as well, then it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi Guys,

I'm considering getting a PI once I've sold off some of my other "man crap", her words not mine :). I'd be hoping to use it as a low powered XBMC frontend, connecting it as a TV client to my MediaPortal TV Server backend and media files. I will be purchasing the mpeg-2 license for SD TV playback.

Has anybody got a similar setup? My main concern is how it handles interlaced H264 broadcast BBCHD and interlaced mpeg-2, so any feedback would be welcome.

Also is it small enough to hide in my "man crap" pile? :D

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

One of the R'Pi original guru's is actually a female. The one with the Raspberry coloured hair. Did you explain this to your oh :P:rolleyes:

Can anyone point in the right direction of where to buy one online? I google farnell which eventually leads me to CPC website which says it is awaiting delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Take a look on the Pi website, they have links to where you can buy them.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Have a look on the top right :)

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Take a look on the Pi website, they have links to where you can buy them.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Have a look on the top right :)

Thanks just ordered there off allied electronics and dispatch time less than a week!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Can anyone point in the right direction of where to buy one online? I google farnell which eventually leads me to CPC website which says it is awaiting delivery!

CPC have the cased ones in stock (Hmm! might be a clever ploy to get some extra cash from you, but it is decent value for a case). Ordered recently with them and shipment was less than a week. Ordered with newit before christmas and got it in about 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Still waiting for my Pi to be delivered so I ordered SD card's. Here are the ones I ordered http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-4GB-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-4-%28Twin-Pack%29

Just after coming across this http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards which says the card I ordered is not ok to use. Will these definitely not work and should I try and cancel my order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

what you planning on doing with it if u don't mind me asking

Not fully sure yet but will probably be looking to set up xbmc and use it as a media centre

• Advertisement

There are two class 4 Kingston SD cards on the list, one is compatible, the others aren't, doesn't seem to be clear which is which. So hopefully youll be fine with what you have

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know if this would be a suitable solution for my set-up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056905783

any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

cormie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this would be a suitable solution for my set-up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056905783

any help appreciated :)

Might do, since you wont need to be playing hd files or anything. The other one you linked to would probably also work. I think you will need extra power for the drive from a usb hub in most cases. WD TV live might be easier solution that would just work out of box but costs a bit more. Would also let you stream over wifi and stop you having to move files from laptop to drive

Thanks for that. WD live is a good chunk more expensive. So the raspberry isn't really an out of the box solution and would only work with a bit of tinkering around? I don't have a tv or a desktop pc, and they don't seem to be sold in enclosures, so I don't even know if I'd have somewhere to connect the pi to!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Still waiting for my Pi to be delivered so I ordered SD card's. Here are the ones I ordered http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/Kingston/Kingston-4GB-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-4-%28Twin-Pack%29

Just after coming across this http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards which says the card I ordered is not ok to use. Will these definitely not work and should I try and cancel my order?

You should aim for a class 10 card for better speeds, especially if you are loading any of your media files directly onto the card. I can confirm this card works http://www.memoryc.com/flashmemorycards/microsd/32gbgskillmicrosdhccl10.html

Meesared wrote: »
    There are two class 4 Kingston SD cards on the list, one is compatible, the others aren't, doesn't seem to be clear which is which. So hopefully youll be fine with what you have

They have actually allowed me to cancel to order thankfully so I will have to be more careful with my next choice!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,060 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Thanks for that. WD live is a good chunk more expensive. So the raspberry isn't really an out of the box solution and would only work with a bit of tinkering around? I don't have a tv or a desktop pc, and they don't seem to be sold in enclosures, so I don't even know if I'd have somewhere to connect the pi to!

various enclosures on ebay, you would need some sort of interface device too, mouse or remote control to control it or remote desktop over lan. Video out should work with projector, I know the infocus has no hdmi.

not even sure how good the pi is with videos, one or two things I've read say it's okay with SD video but maybe some posts above give more details

Thanks for that. Sounds a little complicated for me so I might be better off just going with a WD tv live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Thanks for that. Sounds a little complicated for me so I might be better off just going with a WD tv live!
    They're shite.

• Advertisement

They're shite.

Really, the WD TV live? Anything else you'd suggest for this so?

Advertisement