Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

hey

I got one of these ages ago, never did anything with it at all, was doing a search their to look at whats being done and I see they have launched a pi store. i wonder will it be as big as the play store in time.

http://store.raspberrypi.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bu33les wrote: »
    hey

I got one of these ages ago, never did anything with it at all, was doing a search their to look at whats being done and I see they have launched a pi store. i wonder will it be as big as the play store in time.

http://store.raspberrypi.com/

Not going to be competing with the likes of the play store but due to peoples familiarity with that concept it does make sense to create a similar environment for people to share their projects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20757261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

• Registered Users Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

64 gig ssd - brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Got one of these today, ordered from Newit on Tuesday so the delivery is fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Basq wrote: »
    My pi should be arriving any day now and that looks like a lot of fun to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just moved house and i've decided to go subscription free for TV (can't put up a sky dish and they only have magnet cable and the TV is woeful).

there's 3 TV's in the house (and another one not in use) all cabled for cat5 so i'm thinking RPi's are definitely the way to go, with a central server doing all the recording and stuff, supplied to (and controlled by) the RPi's using the PVR/Backend/Tvheadend thingamyjig.

i'm thinking a couple of those cheap €10 USB TV dongles that have been floating around the BA forum for the last year or so (i have one or two somewhere packed away in boxes if i can find them) to grab saorview (I've already had one working fine in Win7 MCE as a test previously at the old gaff). I reckon maybe MythTV or similar for the backend, but i haven't looked into it too much yet to be able to say for sure what the best option will be.

it's going to be fun sorting it all out though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

I ordered a RPi yesterday from newit, hopefully it'll arrive monday...already set up raspmbc on one sd card and i'll put rasbian on the other, looking forward to doing a bit of experimenting.

32627235.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Anyone know of any decent touch screen jukebox software for the Pi (pub style)? I've bought a 19" Elo touch screen monitor that I'm planning on using with the Pi being connected to a home cinema kit with the media being delivered over a wired network from a NAS. At present I'm running a windows 7 laptop using Silverjuke software and it works very well...but the Pi would require an ever smaller footprint which would make it more wife friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

has anybody shipped a faulty Raspberry PI back to RS ?,

Waited months for a PI to arrive and its faulty out of the box, getting a replacement seems non-trival.
    why do RS bother to sell Pi's at all, there customer service is ****ing terrible.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22186

has anybody shipped a faulty Raspberry PI back to RS ?,

Waited months for a PI to arrive and its faulty out of the box, getting a replacement seems non-trival.
    why do RS bother to sell Pi's at all, there customer service is ****ing terrible.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22186
    Only 6 RMAs so far on 700,000+ sold, probably sheer lack of it happening the reason why they're so bad at it...

Only 2 of the 6 were actually broke aswell, whats wrong with yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the amazing thing to me is that RS ever actually managed to ship any Pi's at all!

i waited months for my pre-order to be sent out, but by the time RS even acknowledged my cancellation i had already re-ordered from Farnell AND had it delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

whats wrong with yours?

Its a power issue of some sort, boots up for about 2mins then randomly powers off into standby, figured it was my power supply originally, but tried a whole bunch of them, including one from a working PI. Borrowed a multi-meter off a friend yesterday, when i connected it to TP1 and TP2 on the PI and booted, all of the power units i had gave values between 4.87->4.97, so reckon the power units were ok

also tried different SD cards/OSs and there are no peripherals plugged into it.

If anyone has seen this issue before, would be good, save me having to ship it back

• Advertisement

I think the reason that they have so few returns is that most people don't know whether the issues are down to the Pi, their power supply or their linux programming skills.
    Linux guys are great at programming but generally hopeless at writing instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I have a 256mb pi and got a 512 also. Can I just copy the xbian image from one sd card to the other so i've all my settings etc. Or will I need a fresh install to make use of the extra RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I have a 256mb pi and got a 512 also. Can I just copy the xbian image from one sd card to the other so i've all my settings etc. Or will I need a fresh install to make use of the extra RAM?

I'd recommend posting on the xbian forum. I know somebody asked Sam Nazarko on the Raspbmc forums and he said this would be fine, you wouldn't notice any difference.

Also Sam posted a code on his twitter feed
    "Just a heads up: you can grab a 512MB @Raspberry_Pi from RS Components for £25 delivered at the moment. Use 756-8308 as a 'quick code' "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'd think it would be ok. I've done it with standard Debian on a usb install without any problems and don't see any reason for xbian to be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'm selling my Raspberry Pi with lots of extras, make me an offer if interested

http://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/raspberry-pi-model-b-512mb-black-case-32gb-sd-7-port-powered-usb-hub/2477715

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Any advice on a powered USB hub? Ideally It'd be able to power the Pi + a mini wifi dongle and the other accessories? I mentioned the wifi dongle because the cheap one I ordered from HK will need to be run from a powered hub to work reliably apparently.

Someone earlier on suggested this from ebay any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just requested a forum for the Raspberry Pi if anyone wants to add their support. Link in sig.

mrmeindl wrote: »

Someone earlier on suggested this from ebay any other recommendations?

I got one of those and its not good. It was dirt cheap and arrived quite quickly from china. It works ok with my pc but isn't stable at all with the pi. It seems to be feeding power back into the pi through the usb socket. For example if i connect the hub and disconnect the power cord for the pi itself, the lights on the pi stay on.

• Advertisement

Advertisement