Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,821 ✭✭✭✭Basq

4od-dl

Nice little ruby script I'm using on my Pi to download and convert from 4OD.

Simply install using instructions from here and use the following command to download and convert the file to MP4:
    ruby 4od-dl -p <program ID>

Where <program ID> is the last 7 digits indicated for the program on 4OD - e.g http://www.channel4.com/programmes/big-fat-quiz/4od#3459375 is a program ID of 3459375.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks to all for the advice on here... only starting out so it should be fun!

I take it that the two only (recommended) options for ordering are Farnell and New it?

Seems to add up to €52 for farnell and €57 for Newit at the moment (Pi and a clear case inc delivery) Would this be about the right price?

Also can anyone recommend a decent power USB hub that would power the Pi as well?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Access wrote: »
    Thanks to all for the advice on here... only starting out so it should be fun!

I take it that the two only (recommended) options for ordering are Farnell and New it?

Seems to add up to €52 for farnell and €57 for Newit at the moment (Pi and a clear case inc delivery) Would this be about the right price?

Also can anyone recommend a decent power USB hub that would power the Pi as well?

Thanks in advance!

This is meant to be good, I ordered from newit and they were quick, however the case you get from newit has no slot in it so if you at some point run cables to the gpio you'll have to take it out of the case or cut a hole in it. See the way this case has a slot, wish I'd bought that one now.

When ordering peripherals check if they're compatible here

That powered usb hub is fairly steep in price at £25.

I am only needing a usb hub to power the USB Wifi adapter as i will be prob powering the Pi from my samsung tvs usb port like others on here have done with success so paying £25 for a powered hub is a waste i am thinking. (will use samsung remote via CEC to control the Pi too so no need for any other usb keyboard/mouse)

Is there any USB Wifi adapter that works with Pi without a powered hub that folks on here recommend? (pref one with external antenna for range)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

That powered usb hub is fairly steep in price at £25.

I am only needing a usb hub to power the USB Wifi adapter as i will be prob powering the Pi from my samsung tvs usb port like others on here have done with success so paying £25 for a powered hub is a waste i am thinking. (will use samsung remote via CEC to control the Pi too so no need for any other usb keyboard/mouse)

Is there any USB Wifi adapter that works with Pi without a powered hub that folks on here recommend? (pref one with external antenna for range)

Look on eBay for Edimax EW-7811UN. Pretty sure it works without hub. I ordered mine on newit and used parcel motel for free delivery...order of UK site....Got the powered usb hub they sell for about £9.

I am after emigrating so can't verify it works without the hub, haven't got a chance to test...

Edit: on mobile so apologies for lack of links or anything not researched properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

There will be another guide each day for the rest of the week I.e. 4 "guides" in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    There will be another guide each day for the rest of the week I.e. 4 "guides" in all.
    Ohh, didn't spot that down there.

Yesterdays

Turn a Raspberry Pi Into an XBMC Media Center in Under 30 Minutes

Todays

Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Personal VPN for Secure Browsing Anywhere You Go

When we get the next 2 (it says all week) Maybe a Mod could stick all in the OP?

• Advertisement

Well it arrived on Tuesday... it looks well in the clear case that someone on here recommended, so thanks for the linky!

Ordered from Newit and regular post as there was no point in using parcel motel as it was the same price to send it to NI depot as it was to send it to my door.

I ordered the powered hub they sell and a nano Wifi dongle also from them, The hub is perfect and small and the nano wifi is fine due to plug and play so no drivers/messing around needed, but its range is utter sh1te.

Now the fun starts getting raspbmc running correctly on it!

8415378342_c7ab988380.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Ordered from Newit and regular post as there was no point in using parcel motel as it was the same price to send it to NI depot as it was to send it to my door.

Not sure if thats correct. Postage is free to the UK but was around £10 to get it posted to Ireland for the Bundle 1

Has anyone managed to get gNeoGeo to work with any of the newer raspbians?

Have recently installed a fresh: http://blog.sheasilverman.com/2013/01/pimame-0-5-beta-release/

Some of the games look fantastic on the HD TV - The Avengers for example; others run quite slow - such as KoF/Sonic. However I've heard the Neo Geo games run smoothly so that's my next port of call.

My xbox controller wireless receiver is in the post so no more keyboard and mouse!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Has anyone used theirs as a thin client yet? In particular I'm interested in hearing how people are getting on with NX client.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Its a power issue of some sort, boots up for about 2mins then randomly powers off into standby, figured it was my power supply originally, but tried a whole bunch of them............

Just for info i got a replacement PI delivered from RS yesterday, took about 2 weeks from sending it over to getting a new one and they refunded my postage

SM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Taking ages for mine to be shipped from RS, been just over a week, time to send an email.

Also would any of these SD cards be ok?

http://m.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/ASK-Direct/16809691?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_29&a=1676

eddhorse wrote: »
    Taking ages for mine to be shipped from RS, been just over a week, time to send an email.

Also would any of these SD cards be ok?

http://m.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/ASK-Direct/16809691?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_29&a=1676
    Cancel and go with Farnell.. was waiting 4 months for my RS one to despatch.

Cancelled and ordered with Farnell and it was despatched the following week.

Regarding those SD cards, support for Class 10 cards is sketchy at best. Better to go for a Class 6 or lower.

• Advertisement

Will do for both, thanks for the post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

A Raspberry Pi starter kit including the Pi itself and "everything to get you started", can be bought in Maplins Mary Street Dublin 1 . This will set you back 82 euro. Might be too pricey an option for some but thought i'd mention it.

Yeah saw that option thanks, i thought i had some decent sized SD cards lying around along with USB hubs and Keyboards a mice. Bit of a techy office so lots for testing.
    Might just go with that though and have it all separate.

EDIT : in relation to the SD card Basq , you said :
    Regarding those SD cards, support for Class 10 cards is sketchy at best. Better to go for a Class 6 or lower.

But the farnell website is selling Code 10?? See link below

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-b-kit1/raspberry-pi-model-b-basic-starter/dp/SC12764

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Support for class 10 SD cards by the Pi is sketchy? Cause I have one and had no problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

eddhorse wrote: »
    EDIT : in relation to the SD card Basq , you said :

But the farnell website is selling Code 10?? See link below

http://cpcireland.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-b-kit1/raspberry-pi-model-b-basic-starter/dp/SC12764

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
    Ed
    shizz wrote: »
    Support for class 10 SD cards by the Pi is sketchy? Cause I have one and had no problems?
    I didn't say they were incompatible..

.. I said they were "sketchy". I tried 2 Class 10 card's I have and neither worked.

You can see compible cards here!

Basq wrote: »

I didn't say they were incompatible..

.. I said they were "sketchy". I tried 2 Class 10 card's I have and neither worked.

You can see compible cards here!

Thanks again, great link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Hmmm.... I can sense great/evil applications for this :D

Eg. broadcasting messages to other car users on the road who are listening to their radio.... fake news reports, etc.... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mcofferon

Sorry guys, I've duplicated this question across a couple of forums just in case you've seen it before...

Hello all
    I'm still pretty much a novice but have been lucky up to now on the projects I've tried - however tonight I'm having problems.

On a clean install of raspian wheezy (Tried both the latest 2012-12-16 and a previous 2012-10-28 image) my install of shairport is failing at the "make" stage. I'm getting a "cannot create regular file '/usr/local/bin/hairtunes': Permission denied" error. This is from using a clone of https://github.com/albertz/shairport.git. putting it onto a 2Gig SD card with nothing additional installed. Only performed apt-get update/upgrade, otherwise the system is in its virgin state.

Is this a known issue? I successfully installed shairport before Christmas with no errors but am trying it again as part of introducing a couple of collegues to the wonders of the RPi. I still have a backed up image with shairport working fine, but I'd like the lads to practice the install process themselves. Not much fun if it doesn't work icon_redface.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Mcofferon wrote: »
    S
    On a clean install of raspian wheezy (Tried both the latest 2012-12-16 and a previous 2012-10-28 image) my install of shairport is failing at the "make" stage. I'm getting a "cannot create regular file '/usr/local/bin/hairtunes': Permission denied" error.

I'm not familiar with this application, but it sounds like a straightforward linux permissions issue.

Can you create the file manually? E.g. "touch /usr/local/bin/hairtunes" ?

If not, maybe it's the permissions on the /usr/local/bin folder? If you run "ls -ld /usr/local/bin", you should be able to see if this folder is read only - that might be the problem. You can change the permissions with chmod, e.g. something like "chmod 777 /usr/local/bin" and try again.

Advertisement