Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

"Sail Away"*

Plan: 6 miles easy

It was in the quiet solitude of the mild evening that I stomped and tromped and sailed on the asphalt ocean of town...diving head first into the breakers, then body surfing back down to shore. What a gorgeous night it was - unseasonably warm and mild....and with the light breeze touching my face, I could just about trick myself into thinking I was running on the sandy beach with the Atlantic breeze embracing me. And I don't know if it was because I was practically half naked without all the layers of clothing I've been donning recently, but the unencumbered feeling I had was liberating...and made for a very easy run....a run that could of gone on forever and I wouldn't have complained. Other than a song*, a few reflections from the day, and my overactive imagination...I was alone for this one, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Actual: 6.3 miles easy in 54:36.16 for an average pace of 8:39 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Dory Dory wrote: »
    "Sail Away"*

It was in the quiet solitude of the mild evening that I stomped and tromped and sailed on the asphalt ocean of town...diving head first into the breakers, then body surfing back down to shore. What a gorgeous night it was - unseasonably warm and mild....and with the light breeze touching my face, I could just about trick myself into thinking I was running on the sandy beach with the Atlantic breeze embracing me. And I don't know if it was because I was practically half naked without all the layers of clothing I've been donning recently, but the unencumbered feeling I had was liberating...and made for a very easy run....a run that could of gone on forever and I wouldn't have complained. Other than a song*, a few reflections from the day, and my overactive imagination...I was alone for this one, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Actual: 6.3 miles easy in 54:36.16 for an average pace of 8:39 min/mile

DD that sounds like a lovely run and one that we should all have every now and again to keep the running endorphins "high":D

Session in the Key of F Sharp

Plan: 2 miles easy, 5 x 2 miles @ MP (w/3 min recovery), 2 miles easy

Pertinent data....
    Surface du jour: my trusty treadie
    Incline: 1%
    Music: loud
    Thigh sleeves: in place
    Tank top: on
    Shot bloks consumed: 6
    Bag of tricks: at the ready
    MP miles 1 & 2: 7:59 pace
    MP miles 3 & 4: 7:53 pace
    MP miles 5 & 6: 7:47 pace
    MP miles 7 & 8: 7:41 pace
    MP miles 9 & 10: 7:36 pace
    Number of songs per two mile sets: approximately 4
    Awesomely choreographed moves busted: too many to count
    Songs sung out loud: at least 3
    Body: comfortable for the entirety
    Mind: in a very happy place
    Endorphins: rampant

This session was way too much fun. :D

Actual: 15 miles in 2:11:21 with 5 x 2 miles at MP (see above for paces)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Pertinent data....

10 miles at marathon pace being too much fun? Someones going to smash a race course very very soon. :D

BTH wrote: »
    10 miles at marathon pace being too much fun? Someones going to smash a race course very very soon. :D

Happy-euphoric-drug-like, really. Almost makes me wonder what they put in those shot bloks. ;)

Smash a race course? Well...there's the little issue of execution that I have yet to master in a real race, so we shall see. I will say, I am totally in love with this plan Ecoli has put together for me...and I feel as strong as I have felt 8 weeks out from a marathon...but there are 8 more weeks to go, so...you know.

Oh....and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to all who visit my log today!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Pertinent data....

Nice work.

I've never done a marathon so I'm a bit green in that space. I'm curious why the MP repeats are descending?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice work.

I've never done a marathon so I'm a bit green in that space. I'm curious why the MP repeats are descending?

Ah, good question. :)
    Basically....my shout out loud yet under my breath target pace is 8 min/mile. However, there seems to be some question about what my target time/pace should be (should it be faster?)....plus I've heard some 'round here suggest that you should always train a smidge faster than your target....SOOOO.....

......I decided last night to start with my target MP of 8 min/mile then, if I felt fine, step up the pace with each interval. I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew at any stage of the game. Repeats were not in the plan to be descending (and apologies, Ecoli, if I botched the plan by doing this), I'm just trying to figure out what agrees with my body....and trying to figure out what a reasonable MP is for me (is it 8 min/mile? faster?). One thing I've learned about my body is that, as long as I don't go too fast too soon, the body feels better as the speed gently increases.

Thirsty Thursday

Crisp night....and my optimistic view about the weather coupled by my desire to make it be spring right now resulted in me being slightly underdressed for tonight's trot about town. Oh well. There could be worse things than frozen fingers I suppose.

Met my friend sans his dog and we hit the streets of the hilly west end of town. I think my companion wanted to go east (since he actually turned left instead of right onto Main Street until I yoo-hooed him), but I said no-no-no.....I had the need for some upward mobile action tonight. My legs felt a little heavy, especially on the last two miles, but considering last night's session, they really weren't that bad.

Followed the run with upper body work and love to the abs....because it is a day of love, you know. ;)

Actual: 6.24 miles in 55:32.31 for an average pace of 8:54 min/mile, +1 w/upper body, abs

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I'm wondering what's in those shot blocks too DD and more importantly where can I get my hands on them :p

Nice training girl, keep it up

I'm wondering what's in those shot blocks too DD and more importantly where can I get my hands on them :p

Nice training girl, keep it up

I use Clif Shot Bloks - tropical punch. They agree with me...but now as I look at the packaging I think I know why I get a good buzz off of them - they have caffeine!!!! I had no idea! (I am so clueless sometimes :o) Other than chocolate in my former life :rolleyes:, I don't do caffeine because I am very sensitive to it - Dr. Pepper make me jittery....and I can get high off of espresso laced brownies. So...now I know. And I imagine since I've been off the cocoa creamy dark stuff, I am probably even more susceptible to the buzz. Shoot, as I was flying on the treadie the other night I felt as if I had been experiencing the result of a little activity with a mirror, a blade and a hundred dollar bill. Not that I've ever done that. ;)

BP, if you can't find these bloks and you want to try them, I will gladly send you a box. I received some gels from our IronWoman a while back - haven't tried them as of yet, but will definitely experience the European energy gel now that I'm thinking about it.

• Advertisement

I use Clif Shot Bloks - tropical punch. They agree with me...but now as I look at the packaging I think I know why I get a good buzz off of them - they have caffeine!!!! I had no idea! (I am so clueless sometimes :o) Other than chocolate in my former life :rolleyes:, I don't do caffeine because I am very sensitive to it - Dr. Pepper make me jittery....and I can get high off of espresso laced brownies. So...now I know. And I imagine since I've been off the cocoa creamy dark stuff, I am probably even more susceptible to the buzz. Shoot, as I was flying on the treadie the other night I felt as if I had been experiencing the result of a little activity with a mirror, a blade and a hundred dollar bill. Not that I've ever done that. ;)

BP, if you can't find these bloks and you want to try them, I will gladly send you a box. I received some gels from our IronWoman a while back - haven't tried them as of yet, but will definitely experience the European energy gel now that I'm thinking about it.

Ah I'm looking to you for inspiration on keeping away from all things nice and chocolately (and sweet or alcoholic or accompanied by chips...). I have done the whole give junk up for lent job! So in summary if I have to look to gels for my fix, then I will..purely in the name of sports obviously :)I'm sure they must be available here so I will check those out but thanks for the offer :D. I might be back to you for mint herseys after Easter ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just ate a big bag of twirl bites. I feel so guilty.

Did I send you the caffeinated gels? Cos they do give a buzz (unfortunately they also give me an upset tum).

Ah I'm looking to you for inspiration on keeping away from all things nice and chocolately (and sweet or alcoholic or accompanied by chips...). I have done the whole give junk up for lent job! So in summary if I have to look to gels for my fix, then I will..purely in the name of sports obviously :)I'm sure they must be available here so I will check those out but thanks for the offer :D. I might be back to you for mint herseys after Easter ;)

Shot bloks and/or mint Hershey's.....just let me know!! ;)
    Oryx wrote: »
    I just ate a big bag of twirl bites. I feel so guilty.

Did I send you the caffeinated gels? Cos they do give a buzz (unfortunately they also give me an upset tum).

Oh, wipe that chocolate off your face and don't go pretending you're feeling guilty! ;)

I think you only sent me un-caffeinated gels....but I'll look before I use them. I have an 18 mile run tomorrow, so perhaps I'll give them a go then! But I'll avoid any if they have caffeine - don't need tummy troubles miles away from a loo! However, that's never stopped me before. :o;)

Oops. :o

Plan: 8 miles steady

In a word: undisciplined.

Very, very undisciplined.

Ugh.

The goal in my head for today was to keep these miles at a steady 8:10 to 8:20 pace with the option of speeding up to 8:00-ish pace if I felt up to it. It's a cold damp day and the wind is blowing enough to notice, so I bundled up pretty good for this one. Eyes bright, feeling good, confidence high....now here's the rest of the story...

Okay....so....right.....from the first stride, the damage was done. It was as simple as that. Boom. Pretty much end of story. Out of work a bit late today....Garmin locked and loaded, hat and gloves on...and away I went. Too fast. Crap. Okay...so what if the first mile was too fast? Right? I mean, I can dial it back with a few smooth moves...no biggie. I relaxed it down on mile 2, concentrating on the subtle slopes, contours and curves of the route I had chosen....but I must've been daydreaming and my mind must've been playing tricks on me because even with the hills on this mile (and the dead bunny with its entrails stuck to the pavement :eek:) my pace had increased. Double crap. But, still wanting to succeed at this session, I had not given up on the idea of slowing down, however, unfortunately mile 3 was a nice gentle downhill....and it was faster still. Triple crap. I gave up at this point - there was no turning back. It was now my mental side battling my physical side....and my mental side was telling me that at this stage in the game it would show physical weakness in me if I slowed down for any reason. Tell me this is normal....and not a curse. Soooo....

.....the rest of the run was spent pushing harder than I should have but not wanting to give up. I did make a deal with myself on mile 6 when I could feel my control staring to slip. I told myself to hang on through mile 7, then I'd use mile 8 as a cool down. I rationalized this many ways, including the idea that it would slow down my overall average pace.

Ugh. Sorry coach. This should have been better than it was. And don't anyone go getting all dreamy-eyed about the fast paces - they were not exactly steady, and the hills I ran weren't that many nor all that grand.

Actual: 8.39 miles in 1:05:09 for an average pace of 7:45 min/mile
    7:48, 7:45, 7:29, 7:42, 7:23, 7:21, 7:33, cool down 8:50 and 3:16 (8:23)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Very, very undisciplined.

Ugh.

This isn't the first time you're run much faster than prescribed in training. If you're not careful, you'll feck up all your careful preparation for a 3:30 marathon, and will be end up running it significantly faster.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This isn't the first time you're run much faster than prescribed in training. If you're not careful, you'll feck up all your careful preparation for a 3:30 marathon, and will be end up running it significantly faster.

I know. Flog me now, you dreamy-eyed devil, and get it over with. ;);)

I'm so ashamed.....

^^^^ But seriously, it wasn't to plan....and it was way too hard for the last few miles. Ugh. I stand by my ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

HA very good - I was only slightly faster than this for my 17.5k run this weekend. Was feeling good about it till I read Dorys efforts

Put it down as a "steady" run Dory, it wasn't scheduled to be an easy one ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^^^^ But seriously, it wasn't to plan....and it was way too hard for the last few miles. Ugh. I stand by my ugh.

The only reason for easy runs is to speed leg recovery between hard sessions. So unless you are messing up the key sessions because of these "faster-than-prescribed" runs (and I don't see any evidence that you are), you should up your anticipated finish time.

Any shorter races planned over the next few weeks? You'd get great feedback from your performance.

(PS- I don't mean to be walking all over coach's advice here. Anything I'm saying is very generic, and you may well have something more specific tailored in your program).

The only reason for easy runs is to speed leg recovery between hard sessions. So unless you are messing up the key sessions because of these "faster-than-prescribed" runs (and I don't see any evidence that you are), you should up your anticipated finish time.

Any shorter races planned over the next few weeks? You'd get great feedback from your performance.

(PS- I don't mean to be walking all over coach's advice here. Anything I'm saying is very generic, and you may well have something more specific tailored in your program).

I am still learning the running lexicon and its training theories, so please pardon my probable ignorance here...but I think yesterday was a key session....and it was supposed to be at a steady pace for 8 miles, which should be ~20 to 30 seconds slower than my MP.....therefore, I totally fecked it up. I felt good for the first 3 miles, had a come to Jesus moment on mile 4, then dug deep for miles 5, 6, and 7. Couldn't hang on after that, so mile 8 became my cool down. My lack of discipline is shocking at times....

But...it's in the books....and I guess I am no worse for the wear. Haven't heard from the man with the plan, but perhaps he'll grace this place.

• Advertisement

European Stimulants...and the Delicious Greed

Plan: 18 miles easy

Moderation is so boring.....

Today's funkadelic-get-your-groove-on-Sunday-morning-spiritual-showdown-buzz was brought to you by Oryx and her Maxifuel energy gels. And oh how I love a good sweaty buzz. :D

Because of the light snow last night and the ice on the roads this morning, I did this one in my hip hop basement with the tv pumping and pulsing dance music. With the treadie set on 1%, I started out at a very slow 9:52 min/mile and increased the speed every 2 miles, peaking at 8:32 by the session's end. The first 8 miles blew by pretty fast with a few surprise distractions that I busied myself with, but I could tell by this point I was getting a little low on gas so I tried a Lemon and Lime Viperactive gel to give me a little lift. Not bad....other than having a bit of difficulty opening the packet, the gel went down just fine. The next 5 miles were lovely...but I longed for that heightened rush that I now know comes from a mixture of caffeine and endorphins...so....at mile 13 I consumed a Citrus Burst caffeinated Viperboost. :D Oh yeah. Just what the doctor ordered. Flying high as a kite and busting some amazing moves, I just couldn't stop...so, greed got the better of me and I downed another Citrus Burst caffeinated Viperboost on mile 18 and just kept going. :o I mean, why waste a good buzz, especially when I was getting down to the likes of this (the last half of the video is da best).......

......which reminds me...dance-off challenge to anyone who dares. You've got until October to get in shape.

Okay, so I did a few extra miles....but whateva. It was lovely......it was delightful.....it made me wonder if pubs should consider pairing gels and bloks with their alcohol.....and I pondered how I might get an IV drip of this stuff for Boston.

Actual: 22.3 miles in you-really-don't-want-to-know-how-long....
    3:26:04

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I like Neyo beats for running, or driving, or just about anything

My favourite style of dancing...

Popping, and this guy is one of my Favs... enjoy :)

I like Neyo beats for running, or driving, or just about anything

My favourite style of dancing...

Popping, and this guy is one of my Favs... enjoy :)

So, what you're saying is...."big lads" can dance?? ;):D

Oh. My. God. 8 Weeks to Go!! :eek::o:):D

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

I think I'm still buzzing slightly from the caffeinated gels that my personal supplier (whose name I won't mention but the initials spell Oryx) hooked me up with. Did the quickie recovery session over my quickie lunch with some quickie upper body work. Whoop whoop.

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on treadmill, upper body

Third physio session tonight....and the body is feeling pretty darned good! :)

Did I just read that you did 22 miles on the treddie AND enjoyed it :eek::eek: If so you need to step away from those gels DD, they are altering your mind and sanity :p

Did I just read that you did 22 miles on the treddie AND enjoyed it :eek::eek: If so you need to step away from those gels DD, they are altering your mind and sanity :p

So, is it time to start thinking "intervention" when I'm totally out of the Viperboosts, only have 3 packages of Shot Bloks, know my local supplier is all out of them because I purchased the last half dozen and I'm getting jittery with worry?? :eek::o

Last night's run.....

When the Easy Feels Good, Just Do It....Right?

Plan: 8 miles easy

Sometimes you just have to allow the involuntary condition of your situation and surroundings influence how your body reacts to the immediate stimuli.....and it was the evening's wind and hills, and the way my body felt in response to those elements, that dictated this run. At all times I was conscious to keep the effort easy, and I succeeded in that regard even if at times my pace seemed fast per the watch. I enjoyed this run very much. The wind was my friend as it gently assisted me on the first two miles, and it was still my friend when it was my resistance on the next four....and it was the same with the hills, both reminding me of what my strengths and weaknesses are and how to use them to my best advantage.

Actual: 8.67 miles in 1:12:44 for an average pace of 8:23

A couple of side notes: I'm feeling as strong as I ever have with regards to running. I love the plan (thank you coach!), I think the physio sessions are a positive for me (I just may go once every week until Boston), and my weight is down to 109.8 pounds (down 5 pounds since the sugary sweet challenge started 51 days ago). I will need to slow the weight loss down, so I will need to once again alter my diet a bit, but then re-adjust once again during taper. I have no idea what will actually happen on race day, but I am doing everything in my control to smash whatever I can smash. :D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the discipline Dory Dory, you rock! I'm starting to feel real abs again :eek:

Enter....the state of Nirvana

Plan: 4 miles easy, 3 miles MP, 2 miles HMP, 1 mile 10k

Treadmill @ 1% - check
    Easy breezy tank top for psych - check
    Buzz enhancing shot bloks - check
    Special guests Cobain and Grohl growling and keeping the beat - check, check
    3 x MP @ 7:59 min/mile - check
    2 x HMP @ 7:30 min/mile - check
    1 x 10k @ 7:05 min/mile - check
    Added 2 mile cool down that was just what I needed - oh yeah, that's a check :D

In a nutshell - I went conservative/shout-out-pace for my 3 MP miles because I know I get stronger as I run as long (and this is important) as I don't go too fast too soon. These 3 miles felt easier with each mile. I pushed the next 2 HMP miles just a bit, but they still felt comfortable. The last 10k mile was grand for the first half mile, but was some tough going for the second half so out came the tricks and deals and chats with myself. Game face was on. :cool:

This session was okay. Didn't quite have the euphoric-whoop-whoop-dory's-in-the-house feeling of some recent previous sessions, but I think I'm in need of some sleep, so I will chock it up to that until proven otherwise.

Actual: 12 miles in 1:45:34, including the paces stated above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 PosNeg

Oops. :o

Plan: 8 miles steady

Ugh. Sorry coach. This should have been better than it was. And don't anyone go getting all dreamy-eyed about the fast paces - they were not exactly steady, and the hills I ran weren't that many nor all that grand.

I had a coach once who put a lot of effort into planning sessions for my running group.

Said coach, to her eternal credit, was quick to recognize a 'step change' in fitness. Form - is fleeting - training plans are numbers on pages. I say go with form.

Advertisement