Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ...no wussy stuff....
    nice run DD,,,and an even nicer highway name:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I take a break from here for a couple of days and come back to find that not only are you eating hills for breakfast, you're eating giant dogs and physios too;)

Dory Dory, Warrior Princess:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

ultraman1 wrote: »
    nice run DD,,,and an even nicer highway name:)

Ah, ultraman, you've come for your Dark Side membership card I see. ;)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I take a break from here for a couple of days and come back to find that not only are you eating hills for breakfast, you're eating giant dogs and physios too;)

Dory Dory, Warrior Princess:D

Marthastew, World Ranked Ultra Goddess!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ah, ultraman, you've come for your Dark Side membership card I see.
    i get a daily pass the odd time just to ease my self in, like an unwanted roommate;)

The Shiny New Runners Session

Plan: 8 miles easy

With all the weathermen east of the Mississippi predicting freezing rain and up to 12 inches of snow starting at 2pm today for our area, I didn't bother to pack my running gear today. I had resigned myself to a treadie session, and when, at 5:30 this evening, the heavens had yet to give up a single drop of moisture as I left work, I still settled on doing tonight's session on the treadie.

As a little bonus tonight, I decided to break out a brand new pair of runners that I've had squirreled away for months with the idea that I might use them for Boston. In a word....love them! ;) They felt cushy and springy. Slightly tight around the sides, but with an adjustment here and some wear there, I think they'll be a top contender to be my ride on the big day. And, if it couldn't get any better, they are multicolor, including purple and blue - my two favorite colors. :D

Tonight's treadie session was good. Just kept it at a nice easy pace, but did fiddle with the incline - 1% for miles 1 and 2, 2% for miles 3 and 4, 3% for miles 5 and 6, 4% for miles 7 and 8. I forgot to wear my thigh compression sleeves, and I must admit I could feel some pull/pain in my left leg starting about halfway through, so I guess I really do need to keep wearing them....and I may have to consider wearing them at Boston.

Iced tonight's cake with some love to the upper body (and physio reassured me last night that my upper body is not scrawny, just underutilized compared to my lower body) and love to the abs.

Actual: 8 miles easy on the treadie, upper body, abs

• Advertisement

Acclimating the Body for the Rigors and Demands of What's to Come ;)

Plan: 10 miles steady

It's Wednesday....there's 15 inches of gorgeous snow outside...and this session was done treadie style in my warm basement with the usual suspects in attendance - Audioslave, Alice in Chains, Papa Roach, Rob Zombie, Hinder, Seether, Metallica and Foo Fighters, to name a few. Girl had an audience of long haired, tattooed rockers for this one. ;)

In a nutshell - did all 10 miles at a steady 8 min/mile pace, but varied the incline as follows:
    Miles 1-5, 1%
    Mile 6, 2%
    Mile 7, 1%
    Mile 8, 3%
    Mile 9, 1%
    Mile 10, 4%

The 1% miles were fine - nice and relaxed - and the 2, 3, 4% miles were fine too, but I would say they were increasingly comfortably uncomfortable....and I liked the fact that they were just on the outside of my comfort zone because that gave me a chance to expose the body and mind for a few miles to a place I will want to be on the big day - teetering slightly on the exciting edge of unknown territory. I was a little low on fuel today, so I indulged in a little shot blok action to keep me happy and humming. Worked a treat...especially when all 6 bloks kicked in just as Jack White dove into the crowd-of-one favorite, "I'm Shakin'". Buzzin' and shakin'.....I was a happy camper. :D

Good session overall. I added a 2 mile cool down after the 10 steady miles as I've become a believer in these easy miles following a session to gently bring the body down and get it to a good place after an intense and physically taxing (and sweaty) workout. :)

Actual: 12 miles - 10 miles at 8min/mile at various inclines as stated above, 2 mile cool down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I love your descriptions of your training sessions, makes great reading. I need to start working on mine :D

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I love your descriptions of your training sessions, makes great reading. I need to start working on mine :D

It's due to a cocktail of endorphins and shot bloks, sprinkled with a little fantasy of escape, and aided by the mood of the music. Simple! ;):):D

No Elaboration For This One

Plan: 6 miles easy

I assume it was the combination of last night's session still in the body, lack of restful sleep recently, and not enough groceries consumed the last two days....but this one got a little weird.....and I'm not really going to revisit it other than to say I pushed through the strangeness while being preoccupied with thoughts about Gatorade and shot bloks. :o:confused: Is this what I've become? So as my punishment :confused:, I ate an extra large portion of dinner tonight. :)

Followed the 6 easy miles on the treadmill with a little attention to the upper body and abs. Upper body isn't too bad, but these abs have a long way to go.

Actual: 6 miles easy on the treadmill, upper body, abs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

:confused:

Well if you're not going to elaborate on the weirdness, we'll just have to imagine what happened.

I reckon you stapled puppies to the treadmill mat and ran on a yelping mass of blood-soaked fur. Shame on you DD.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    :confused:

Well if you're not going to elaborate on the weirdness, we'll just have to imagine what happened.

I reckon you stapled puppies to the treadmill mat and ran on a yelping mass of blood-soaked fur. Shame on you DD.

:eek:
    OMG! KURT!! Whoa....and i thought i had an overactive imagination. Sheesh!

No, i can assure you it was nothing like that. It had more to do with some dizzy spells that started around 2.5 miles into it....and how that made me feel. Sort of one of those "you had to be there" moments. I'm sure you, of all people, have had a few of those. ;)

:eek:
    OMG! KURT!! Whoa....and i thought i had an overactive imagination. Sheesh!

No, i can assure you it was nothing like that. It had more to do with some dizzy spells that started around 2.5 miles into it....and how that made me feel. Sort of one of those "you had to be there" moments. I'm sure you, of all people, have had a few of those. ;)

Thought it might be. Dizzy spells, difficulty sleeping, posting here at 5am... just be aware they are signs of overtraining. Not that thats necessarily a danger or anything, but for someone as focussed as yourself, no harm in being aware of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

^^^what he said on the dizzy spells. That started with me last September, and I ignored it, and am now full blown wrecked. Be careful with it.

As for you, Kurt. I used to worry about what went on in that wee head of yours. Now, I'm freaking scared. Puppies? Staples? Treadmill? Here, just put one arm in the nice white jacket, now the other, good boy... let me strap it up for you.....

I'm struggling to think past the mental imagery of being strapped down and restrained by Oryx, but if (both of) you have a free moment later you might google iron supplements for distance running (if you're not already taking them). As the milage increases, iron levels decrease (in part through heel striking, believe it or not), and this is often a cause of dizziness.

Obviously this advice is worth what my PhD in Medicine is worth, but I haven't seen it discussed here yet.

FWIW I just got bloods done, at the moment my iron level is fine, but I did take a supplement at the worst of the dizzy stage and it seemed to help. My doctor reckons B12 is one to watch too (and it doesnt absorb orally).

Now back in your cage, boy. *thwack!*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yes, and women are particularly susceptible.
    Over in the serious forum, claralara, jcsmum, and me have all had low iron levels, and there are probably plenty more who just haven't been tested

I started taking an iron supplement on a regular basis a few months ago after checking my red blood cells in house (we have a hematocrit machine in our animal clinic) and they were slightly low end of normal. I know, not exactly the same as going to the doctor's for a complete screening, but...

I think the two biggest contributors to last night's light-headedness were sleep and food. Not been sleeping well, and didn't eat enough Wednesday and Thursday. I don't feel i'm overtraining - training feels spot on - i think it's sleep and calories. I will try and rememdy both of those post haste!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wildrhubarb

Ha! I love that you did a doggy RBC count! were the numbers low for humans? ;)

Sleep and food seem like the nicest remedies ever... enjoy.

Ha! I love that you did a doggy RBC count! were the numbers low for humans? ;)

Sleep and food seem like the nicest remedies ever... enjoy.

wildrhubarb!! :D Girl, you gotta start logging here!! ;)

Yeah, kind of funny that I checked my red cells on our machine, but it's a human machine, I just had to look up the normal range for an adult female. My red cells were at 36/37ish...which is the low end of normal. At the time I checked them, I was feeling soooo fatigued. Since I've been taking iron, eating more red meat, and consuming less crap I feel soooo much better. Now you've got me curious what my count is now. Hmmm....may have to draw a little blood and check them this evening when I go back to the clinic.

"The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" ~Timbuk3

Wow. Was it bright outside today!! Holy crap, this was a retina-burning, cataract-causing, sun-reflecting-off-the-snow kind of situation out there today. Blinding, in other words, and I did not think to snag my cycling glasses when I was packing my running gear at 6:30 this morning....so....my only option when I was ready to hit the streets at 10:00 from the clinic was to don my very fashionable and very glamorous Vera Bradley midnight blue "Floral Nightingale" aviator sunglasses. :cool: Running never looked so designer! ;)

The run....the run....well....as per my M.O., the first 4 miles were way, way, wayyyyy too fast for an easy run. (8:01, 8:06, 7:57, 8:05) In my defense, I was operating on fresh legs since Friday evenings consist of no running, no cooking, a glass of Pinot Grigio, and some good old fashioned hockey....and it just felt good. Plus, the first 4 miles of this particular circuit are comparatively easier than the last 4 miles.

The next four miles were slower in part because: A) I knew I needed to slow down....B) this section was in town and contained some technically difficult maneuvers due to the winter wonderland obstacle course that was left behind by snow plows and half assed attempts at sidewalk shoveling.....C) I hit every red light and had to stop at way too many intersections for blasted vehicles on this way too busy Saturday morning (don't normal people sleep in any more? :mad:)....D) I slipped on ice while standing still waiting to cross the street and bruised my left cheek (how does that happen?? while standing still?? :confused:)....and, E) had to face my nemesis 1 mile long hill that I now laugh in the face of on mile 6, but I kept it super relaxed today. 8:24, 8:52, 8:30, 8:42, 5:40 (8:20)

Decent run overall....but I can't wait to start shedding some of these layers of clothes! Wearing so many certainly can't be good for you!! And speaking of not wearing many clothes....pool officially opens April 18, or have I mentioned that already. :D

Actual: 8.68 miles in 1:12:20 for an average pace of 8:20 min/mile

• Advertisement

And speaking of not wearing many clothes....pool officially opens April 18, or have I mentioned that already. :D

Thank the stars for that. There's only so many times a chap can listen to you pondering why your too-fast easy miles still feel real easy (stock answer: you've improved!). Gonna have us some sexy pool numbers chat here real soon, I'm a-counting down the days;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thank the stars for that. There's only so many times a chap can listen to you pondering why your too-fast easy miles still feel real easy (stock answer: you've improved!). Gonna have us some sexy pool numbers chat here real soon, I'm a-counting down the days;)

Nah she is taking up aqua running :cool: We need some way to slow down those easy miles :D

The "ohmygodsweetjesusholycrapstickaforkinmei'mdone" Session :eek:

Plan: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 miles at MP with 3 minute recovery

This was tough. Tougher than I anticipated. Ugh! If anyone was wondering where my mental and physical limits were, on this particular day, this was it.

Pertinent data:
    Gorgeous day....40 some degrees when I set sail, 50 some degrees when I finished.....a bit of a breeze, but not too bad....kept to the east end of town because of the snow/ice/traffic/narrow roads on the west end....did the worst hills during the 5 and 4 mile sets.....stretched the middle two recovery periods to 3:20/3:30.....jogged/walked/stretched the legs during the recovery period...had to stop twice very briefly for traffic when crossing the road....carried a small bottle of water in each hand....consumed 6 shot bloks....had my iPod to assist me.....was very glad when this was over. :)

Not too much else to say, really. Not sure how happy I am with today's session (I know, that's crazy...but...) because of the effort it took me to do this. I honestly (and very naively, I guess) thought I'd sail through the 3, 2, and 1 mile sets and had grand visions of sun-shiney-day feelings on those miles. Instead, I had to dig for what I got. Any way....paces as follows:

7:39, 7:55, 7:47, 7:37, 7:41
    7:47, 7:52, 7:51, 7:48
    7:51, 7:40, 7:35
    7:44, 7:44
    7:31

I was a mile from my car when I finished the last MP mile, so I stopped, guzzled the last of my water (I was very thirsty), then jogged it home at a very lovely 9:43 min/mile pace. I don't think I've ever been so glad to have a session in the books as I was today. Whew!! :o;):eek::):D

Actual: 16.7 miles in 2:18:49 for an average pace of 8:17 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good session there! It'll definitely stand to you :cool:

Recovery, old people, and my arse

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Did this quickie-style over lunch. ;)

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadie

And in other news.....:D

Dear sweet Mrs. Dougans (older lady/widow with the very red lipstick (that's not always just on her lips) who I see on the Greenway when I'm running and who calls me Pocohantis and/or Gazelle (depending on the setting I see her in) and thinks I'm just the best!) came into the clinic today with her little pooch Rufus. Well, she may be old and not very proficient at lipstick application, but she remembered I'm doing Boston and was all whipped up with excitement about it and said to me in front of several people in the lobby very matter of factly...."well, you are going to come in first, right?". Oh my, she just makes me smile. :)

And....in yet other news....

Tonight's physio session featured a good old fashioned @ss stripping. :eek: If you have had the <cough, cough> pleasure of experiencing one of these, then you know what I'm talking about....and if you haven't, then just use your imagination and you've probably got it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

... as for you, miss #17074, in Wave 2, Corral 9, it's on.......
    It's gonna be awesome....

Having Fresh Legs Is A Beautiful Thing :D

Whoop, whoop!! This was a delightful run - gorgeous sun shiny 55 degree evening with a wind that only made the whole experience all that much more exciting. And one of the best things about it was I got to shed layers. Can I hear an "amen" from the folks in the back pew? Clothes are definitely overrated. ;)

Down to business now. <clears throat> No, I will neither apologize nor make excuses for this run. (you listening Kurt?) This run was supposed to be easy, and, other than pushing on the hills because I aspire to be worthy of the King of the Mountain polka dot jersey, it was. Period. I just let the legs do what they felt like, kept the body relaxed, and enjoyed the rush of the ride....and it was delightful. I could sit here and analyze it and compare it to last Sunday's run where the effort seemed much higher than this evening's run....and I could even speculate about how I might capitalize on this run and use it to knock an upcoming gut wrenching 14 mile MP run out of the park, but I won't. Instead, I'll just give a few notable moments...

- there were no cars in the 7-11 parking lot, which is a first for me.
    - I was busy yakking to a friend as I passed him outside Uncle Buck's (bar/restaurant) and didn't see I had entered a work zone and went crashing into the yellow work zone tape. :o No animals were harmed in the making of that moment. ;)
    - nearly tripped over an empty bottle of Jack Daniels Black Label that had been tossed out and was laying in my path. Damn alchie litterers!! :mad:
    - enjoyed a perfectly synched chorus of "whoop whoop" with a crazy girlfriend as she passed me in her car. :D

Okay...I'm feeling good. If I could just bottle this.....

Actual: 8.74 miles in 1:09:12 for an average pace of 7:55 min/mile
    7:52, 8:02, 7:38, 7:51, 8:03, 8:04, 7:48, 8:04, 5:48 (7:52)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Everything looking good in here, Boston will not know whats hit it.

Please bottle it. And sell it. To us pale grey irish folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    Please bottle it. And sell it. To us pale grey irish folk.

Should that not be the other way round, with us selling the snake oil to our wealthy gullible American cousins?? :D

Advertisement