Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    My upper body is disproportionate to my lower body, which is basically code for scrawny.
    Any indoor rock climbing around Luray? I've found it brilliant for building upper body strength, and so much more fun than self-flagellation on the yoga mat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Recovery-Recovery

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

A quickie treadmill recovery over lunch with some upper body work as well. And speaking of my upper body...had physio session #4 tonight, and this time he worked on my upper body as well as my lower body. Well, apparently, according to the man with the hands, I have a fascial bias between my upper and lower body. :confused: I knew I was in trouble when he asked me if I ever do push ups and I said "no"...which was followed immediately by "I can tell.". :( My upper body is disproportionate to my lower body, which is basically code for scrawny. BTH....you following this?? I need those magical pink dumb bells back - can you please drop them in the post ASAP? ;)

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadie

You mean I have to lift them again. God dammit.. I've only just recovered from the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BTH wrote: »
    You mean I have to lift them again. God dammit.. I've only just recovered from the first time.

Okay...I am laughing out loud!! :D

Introspective Incline

Plan: 8 miles easy

Crazy cold rain + less than 7 weeks to go = easy decision to do this nice-n-easy in the non-ripe-respiratory-repository known as my basement. :DWhateva....

This was a very strange session. There was a lot going on - music was my supposed distraction, but the mind was going a mile a minute...mainly about all things Boston - both training and race day. Physically it felt a bit out-of-body, but it felt nice. (and no, there were no shot bloks consumed during this session ;)) I was slightly dizzy before I hopped on the treadie, so that may explain a lot. Perhaps I should've eaten more today, but I have found since I've given up the sinful sweets that I don't get as hungry as I used to, therefore I don't eat as much.

Kept the pace easy, but did alter the incline during this. Miles 1 and 2 were at 1% incline, miles 3 and 4 at 2%, miles 5 and 6 at 3%, and miles 7 and 8 at 4%. All felt good...and I kept nice and relaxed.

Hopped off treadie and dabbled in not enough abdominal work, and did 45 sorry push ups in a half @ssed attempt to get a little muscle on my upper body so I'm not so out of proportion. :confused::o;):)

Actual: 8 easy miles on the treadie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Hopped off treadie and dabbled in not enough abdominal work, and did 45 sorry push ups in a half @ssed attempt to get a little muscle on my upper body so I'm not so out of proportion. :confused::o;):)

Are we talking something like this Dory

tumblr_lyj4lsHrPL1qlwlv6o1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

2000_crumb0346-200b_zoom.jpg

:eek:
    HOLY CRAP boys!! If i EVER start to look like either of those images, just put me out of my misery. Oh my god.....this is worse than when that horrible image of your parents having sex is involuntarily forced into your mind. No....that is not the disproportion....i'm sure it can't be.... no....i really don't think that's what physio is talking about. <scampers off to find mirror....>

The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here ~Alice in Chains

Plan: 2 miles easy, 4 x 1 mile @ 10k (75% recovery), 2 miles easy

Session location: 38.6653 degrees N, 78.4597 degrees W
    Apparatus of choice: trusty treadie
    Incline setting: 1%
    Mode of distraction: loud, rockin' music
    Lower body: taped up like a fine race horse
    Upper body: donning a bright-tight tank to highlight the guns that are in there somewhere
    Refreshments of choice: water, fruit punch Gatorade, and 4 shot bloks
    10k paces: 7:05, 7:00, 6:55, 6:51
    Upper body and abs: given some love post-session

Oh-kayyyy.....this was equal parts mental and physical. I am not a sprinter - this gal is not known for her speed in runners, so this session was one of the tougher ones I've experienced in the plan thus far. Pretty consistently for all four 10k miles, it was the last third of each mile that I had to talk myself off the ledge and tell myself that it was okay to be uncomfortable because, I reasoned, if I was uncomfortable for a long enough period of time then being uncomfortable would become normal....not unlike the person who smells really bad but has no idea that he smells really bad because he's so used to the really bad smell.

Any way.....job done...I'm one more day closer to race day...and I'm really trying to put in the ugly work now so race day isn't so ugly. (thank you cw for reminding me of the ugly race days ;))

Actual: 10 miles total consisting of 2 miles easy, 4x1 mile at above stated paces, 2.55 miles cool down, upper body, abs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I am not a sprinter - this gal is not known for her speed in runners, so this session was one of the tougher ones I've experienced in the plan thus far.

Just wait till post marathon and we will see about that :D No reason a sub 40 is not well doable this summer at least if you applied the same mentality you have to the marathon work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

ecoli wrote: »
    Just wait till post marathon and we will see about that :D No reason a sub 40 is not well doable this summer at least if you applied the same mentality you have to the marathon work

Now you are talking Ecoli, those miserable 5 and 10k times of Dorys need serious improvement before triathlon season starts - we might even start getting her to kilometres as well then!

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Now you are talking Ecoli, those miserable 5 and 10k times of Dorys need serious improvement before triathlon season starts - we might even start getting her to kilometres as well then!

Never!!! :mad:

Remember Lydiard's famous quote was "miles make champions" no mention of kms :p I am on a crusade to reclaim some of these from the dark side (hence why I am here posting behind enemy lines :D)

Bad enough losing old man Kurt to you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Never!!! :mad:

Remember Lydiard's famous quote was "miles make champions" no mention of kms :p I am on a crusade to reclaim some of these from the dark side (hence why I am here posting behind enemy lines :D)

Bad enough losing old man Kurt to you guys

So, Ecoli, can you swim??? :D

He's not allowed out of the baby pool yet, but you should see the speed he does on his trike!

Don't need to. I'm like Jesus gliding over water with my majestic stride so no need to be splashing about :cool:

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    He's not allowed out of the baby pool yet, but you should see the speed he does on his trike!

Second person to have a pop at me about my age today. You guys sure know how to make a person feel better about their birthday and getting a year closer to slowing down;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Another year older? Wow, soon you'll be in double figures :)

RayCun wrote: »
    Another year older? Wow, soon you'll be in double figures :)

Being ganged up on here. What you doing in this neck of the woods - Back to A/R before we start getting any ideas :D

(DD- Apologies for the digression of the training thread ill do 20 calf raises as I type just to give it some training related relevance :D)

Just wait till post marathon and we will see about that :DNo reason a sub 40 is not well doable this summer at least if you applied the same mentality you have to the marathon work

:eek:
    catweazle wrote: »

Oh catweazle....we've a lot of shaming to do between now and October. ;):)
    Don't need to. I'm like Jesus gliding over water with my majestic stride so no need to be splashing about :cool:

I'm being coached by Jesus?? :D
    * edit: I'm being coached by baby Jesus?? ;):D
    Being ganged up on here. What you doing in this neck of the woods - Back to A/R before we start getting any ideas :D

(DD- Apologies for the digression of the training thread ill do 20 calf raises as I type just to give it some training related relevance :D)

You know, Ecoli, I can give you a few swim lessons next time I pop over to your neck of the woods so we can start you on some proper tri training. ;)

Heck, same offer goes to you too, catweazle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Heck, same offer goes to you too, catweazle. :D

How long did you say you were gonna be in Ireland ? ... I mean, I've no doubt you'd be good but this ... I mean ... its John ?

interested wrote: »
    How long did you say you were gonna be in Ireland ? ... I mean, I've no doubt you'd be good but this ... I mean ... its John ?

You and I may have to do this as a tag team. ;)

• Advertisement

Shot Bloks or Wine?

Plan: 6 miles easy

I couldn't be bothered to do this one outside tonight. Nah. I am getting to my limit with cold wet evening air. I am soooo ready for the days to get longer, the temps to get warmer, and my pool to be open (April 18th!! :D). And I want to wear fewer clothes.

This session was fine. It was less jacked-up-on-caffeinated-shot-bloks and more chilled-out-on-my-hammock-sipping-Pinot-Grigio-by-the-pool-on-a-sunny-day-with-Al-Green-soulfully-performing-a-private-concert-just-for-me. (whoa.....that would be cool) ;)

Any way, as I said, this session was fine. I followed it up with some luv to the upper body and abs. And that's really about it.

Actual: 6 miles on the treadie, upper body, abs

The Physio and The Client

Plan: 8 miles easy

My physio rang me at 8 this morning to inform me that he wanted to run with me today. Okay. No biggie. He's a trail runner who enjoys talking about his paltry decent weekly mileage during our sessions (of course I ooh and aah).....and he offered to "pace" me today on my 8 mile easy run. Sure. I'll take a little company, right? Well....I am certainly aware that I am neither the fastest nor strongest runner by any means, but I think he must've underestimated my ability in spite of knowing where my physical strengths and weaknesses are concerned. Long story short - halfway through the first mile I could hear him breathing heavily....three quarters through the first mile he asked if this was my normal pace (okay, I was a bit fast today with fresh legs, but....).....at the end of mile two when we were approaching our first decent hill he announces he will walk to the bridge....at the next hill on mile four he says he is going to interval it up the hill :confused:....I warn him about mile 6 being all uphill and into the wind and gently suggest he go easy and wait for me to return after I turn around at the very top....he really starts fading on mile 7 so I have to impart some encouraging words.....mile 8 found him walking up a tiny bump in the road so I put the positive spin (and fib a little) by telling him that that tiny bump was the last hill we would encounter, and that we were nearly there. Bottom line...I kicked his butt :cool:....and I doubt the poor fella will ever call me on a Saturday morning to tell me he wants to run with me again. :o;):)

As far as my performance was concerned, I felt good. I did push the hills a bit more than "easy", but I really want to own hills, so I took them with confidence. The overall pace was hotter than easy, but I had to stop a few times to wait for my straggler (trying to be a polite hostess), plus I was happy running the pace I was running. Tomorrow will be a different story as I have 20 easy miles to do and it will be all about strength, endurance, and hills on top of hills. And there may be a 3 pound camelback strapped to my body, thus weighing me down a bit to enhance the goals. Good times! :D

Actual: 8.59 miles in 1:10:34 for an average pace of 8:13 min/mile

The "very much in line with the overall ethos of the plan" Session ~coach

Plan: 20 miles easy

After studying the remaining sessions of this Boston training plan, I decided that today's 20 mile run would be my best and possibly last opportunity before the race to get a really meaty hill/endurance session in since this was not a pace specific session. Because I do not want to make any foolish moves with only 6 weeks to go, I consulted Ecoli to be sure this would be acceptable and beneficial for me, and he gave me his blessing but he made me pinky-swear that I would keep the effort easy. I figured with all the handicaps I was saddling myself with - hills, 20 miles, 3 pound Camelbak, and godawful wind - keeping the effort easy would be a necessity to get through this in one piece. This girl loves a good handicap and a good pinky-swear. ;)

I had chosen the hardest route possible for this town, incorporating hills that come in all sizes, shapes, slopes, pitches, and lengths. This was going to be a big-girl run...no wussy stuff....and I decided I would need my music to keep me company and to keep me in a happy place. I settled on breaking this run up music-wise into three phases - high energy to get me through the first segment that includes the longest and steepest hills....something laid back to keep me disciplined in the second section that has the most delicious downhills that I knew I would be tempted to rocket down....and high energy again for the last segment to push me home.

In an attempt to condense this down....here are the streamlined highlights:

- Was immediately impressed with how the body was positively reacting to the extra weight of the Camelbak.
    - About got my face ripped off on mile 3 by a huge-ass Great Dane that weighed a hell of a lot more than me. I had to stop and give him my death look...then I gave his idiot owner my death look.
    - Arrived at Lake Arrowhead after 8.5 miles, took a potty break, sipped some water, had a snack, and allowed myself to sit by the lake and ponder the meaning of life. ;)
    - Switched to some soulful Corinne Bailey Rae and was in a nice relaxed place on mile 9 when the sound of snapping, growling, snarling and barking came from behind me. God dammit! Another rogue dog was coming after me, and he meant business. We went round and around a few times and I immediately thought if this bastard takes a piece of me and screws with Boston, his owner will be hating life after I am done with him (the owner, not the dog). As I reached for my mace while daring this canine to come one step closer, the owner called the dog off. I was so pissed and afraid of what I might say to the owner that I didn't say a word, but instead gave the owner "the look" and then blasted off down the road.
    - Wind took on a new dimension starting at mile 10.
    - Stopped very briefly at mile 14 to switch music, sip water, down shot bloks.
    - Legs were fooked on mile 16, but I just kept the body relaxed, focused on form, and relied more on my arms to keep the pace.
    - Turned into my final destination with only 19.6 on the watch, so of course that would not do....so....around the clinic parking lot 4 times until the watch alerted me the run was done. Thank god. :)

In summary....the first 15 miles were grand, the last 5 sucked as they were physically tough. I surprised myself at the pace, however. I ran by feel and figured I'd average between 9 and 9:30 due to the handicaps, but was pleasantly surprised to see 8:38 as my average pace. I also love that this run consisted of 1,082 feet elevation gain, none of which totally kicked my butt. Solid run in my opinion. One I can be proud of and hope will stand to me on the big day. :):D

Actual: 20.01 miles in 2:52:52 for an average pace of 8:38 min/mile
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/279917793

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice run, how did the body feel afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No doubt about it. Great work!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Nice run, how did the body feel afterwards

I had a few waves of nausea upon stopping at mile 20, but the body felt/feels really good. The legs were quite fatigued those last 5 miles, so instead of fighting it, I just told myself to rely more on the arms and keep it relaxed. I feel good!!! :)
    No doubt about it. Great work!

Thanks. :)

Hmmm....the elevation thing of today's run is bugging me. It doesn't make sense. I think the Garmin has overstated the gain....crap....so, I will investigate tomorrow when I have access to my computer. Elevation correction is enabled, but it's not adding up with what I know. :o:(:mad: Still a solid, tough, hilly run though.....

Hmmm....the elevation thing of today's run is bugging me. It doesn't make sense. I think the Garmin has overstated the gain....crap....so, I will investigate tomorrow when I have access to my computer. Elevation correction is enabled, but it's not adding up with what I know. :o:(:mad: Still a solid, tough, hilly run though.....

Dammit, I read the 817 m elevation gain and thought, wow, she is one tough cookie. When Dory says "hills", she means "hills".

What does your sluething tell you is correct? (PS you're still one tough cookie;))

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Dammit, I read the 817 m elevation gain and thought, wow, she is one tough cookie. When Dory says "hills", she means "hills".

What does your sluething tell you is correct? (PS you're still one tough cookie;))

It hit me last night while sitting on the couch watching hockey, and after the endorphins had settled and after i had gotten something to eat, that the gain didn't make sense....so. being the Dory that i am, i started computing things in my head that i knew. I will fiddle w/the garmin elevation enable thing when i get to work, but my best guess at this sleepy moment is the actual gain is around 1,100 to 1,200 feet. And your tough cookie remark was/is perfectly timed. Thanks. I'll be back w/an edit in a bit.

• Advertisement

The post without a title....

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadmill

Yep. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. Work is insane and I am shorthanded. The thing that kept me going at times today was knowing I had my physio appointment this evening....my physio appointment with the physio I emasculated on Saturday....purely by accident. ;):D

Advertisement