Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Dory Does Disney
    January 12 &13, 2013
    Orlando Florida
    39.3 miles of Goofy fun.....

My sincerest apologies in advance for this rather large file full of drivel and bad photos that could quite possibly bring on an involuntary coma. The scary thing is, I actually had so much more to say. :eek: I tried to keep some of the details to a mere laundry list of events, then I tried to sprinkle a few stories in between the boring laundy lists. Good luck. And I'm having finishers medals awarded to all who get through this in one piece. ;)

Attachment not found.

How many cuppas / beers / biscuits should I plan for?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ok, I'm off to find a bowl of coffee and I will report back in after I have read this. 11 pages has to be a record :D. Have you told CL and MS, there is a new report queen in town :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How many cuppas / beers / biscuits should I plan for?

I'd run to the store for backup supplies if I were you. :eek:;)
    Ok, I'm off to find a bowl of coffee and I will report back in after I have read this. 11 pages has to be a record :D. Have you told CL and MS, there is a new report queen in town :p

Just trying to represent the tri forum well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'd run to the store for backup supplies if I were you. :eek:;)

You obviously haven't seen my beer fridge or Nespresso collection :cool:

Great read by the way and a cool meeting on the return trip - how does the body feel after your recovery week?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You obviously haven't seen my beer fridge or Nespresso collection :cool:

Great read by the way and a cool meeting on the return trip - how does the body feel after your recovery week?

Body feels ridiculously grand. No apparent evidence I ran 39.3 miles in 2 days. Shocked, actually, how fantastic I feel.

• Advertisement

Just trying to represent the tri forum well. :D

Well you are doing that well missus. Good report on how to enjoy a run and have fun with it. Races are great but sometimes it just nice to remind ourselves why we run. Nice photos too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What a great read! You Yanks really know how to put on a funrun, the weekend sounds like a blast for you. Glad you placed the emphasis on enjoyment, and are fresh after a circa 40mile weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You've set the bar for future race reports there! What a weekend, what an adventure! Congrats and well done on the running and the writing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Great report! Even I thought it was magical :rolleyes: And love the end in the airport, how cool was that!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was going to hold out for the printed publication, but couldn't wait any longer (and was concerned about the weight-based delivery charges). Sounds like you really had a blast. Life is too short for racing marathons all of the time. It's nice to go out and just enjoy one. Hopefully in Boston you'll get to do a bit of both!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well that was a sugar rush and a half. Disneyfied happy suits you down to the ground :) Only you could make a two race weekend sound like such a happy clappy walk in the park. All that was missing was your red cape and high boots, wonderwoman!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Wow! And wow again! I LOVED your report and the ending:D how much fun was that? You've outdone yourself DD, I'm so glad you put all the time and effort into the report (I know you were getting a little tired of it;)) it really paid off. Well done on a super race and a fabulous report:D

And macadamia pancakes??? YUM!! I want some now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congratulations DD, you actually make the Goofy seem almost sane :).

Great report. I was a bit nervous having never attempt even close to this length before. I warmed up by reading the Sunday paper. But time did not allow for the magazine so I felt a little underprepared as I waited for the pdf to open. Page 1 was tough having no picures but after that thngs settled down and soon the page markers were passing regularly. Starte to flag towards the end - being distracted by GarminConnect links, but held it together until the final picture on page 11. Finished in about 25:41 - pretty pleased with that :D:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Cracking stuff - I can see you as a ring girl at his next bout :)

Well done on the Disney ultra - tough to do 2 days back-to-back..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I must check him out - i think we get TNA wrestling on Extreme TV over here!

Well done on the 2 races - nice to be able to crank those times out with little long runs done in the days leading up to it

catweazle wrote: »
    I must check him out - i think we get TNA wrestling on Extreme TV over here!

So funny you mention TNA....when he was trying to explain to me about who he was and what he did, he kept mentioning TNA, but I kept thinking he was saying T&A....as in t*ts and @ss. I had to ask for clarification. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Wow, really nice to read about how enjoyable you found that. Sounds incredible. You'll be my inspiration from here on out :]

Thanks everyone! Your finishers medals will be forthcoming. ;):D

And regarding running for fun, creative writing, magic, life being too short, wearing a red cape and high boots (oh, don't tempt me! ;)), how much fun "that" was, finishing in 25:41 (well done, by the way), being a ring girl (can I wear that red cape and boot ensemble? :D), cranking times without many long runs, and being an inspiration (wow :)).....I could really get creatively philosophical here, but since you endured my Disney drivel I will give you a rest and save it for another day. ***and the gentle reader exhales in relief***

Boston on My Mind....

Plan: cross train

This will be my last cross training day until Boston - from here on out it's all about the run. I spent much of these 20 miles on the trainer thinking about Boston...and I compared my thoughts about Boston to both my approach to Disney and your (yes you, the gentle reader) response to my approach to Disney and tried to reconcile the two. Bottom line - Boston will be a race with strategy. Bring it on.

The spin itself was really good. Started slowly and built some nice, solid speed. It always amazes me how much easier the spinning gets as the miles tick by. I guess that's warmed up momentum.

Actual: 20 miles on the trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Well done Dory, Great read, thoroughly enjoyed it, got me through the last hour and half of a slow nights work!!! you rock! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

now that was a report, loved it and congrats two great days and to be honest made me start thinking of tellings the kids were going to Disney and kill to stones with the one bird.

Arctic Blast Cools Desired Easy Footwork*

Plan: 3 easy miles

As the title (sort of) suggests, I wanted to do this session outdoors, but the arctic air we are experiencing persuaded me to pamper myself and bring it inside to my trusty treadie.

Not much to say about this very basic session. I did the first easy mile at a 1% incline, the second mile at 2% incline, then the third mile at a 3% incline. I also brought back something I used to do ages ago - I added an extra mile at a peppy walking pace using hand weights doing various upper body exercises. I've neglected both my upper body and my abs as of recent, so I will try to give them some love.

Actual: 3 easy miles, 1 mile power walking while working upper body w/weights

Sports alert - hockey has resumed play so Dory is a very happy camper. Tid bit worth noting - hockey player hair length has gotten a lot longer.

* Kurt inspired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on the Disney run and what a report up until you told us about that wrestling freak putting my guns to shame :);)

Roll on Boston!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done on the Disney run and what a report up until you told us about that wrestling freak putting my guns to shame :);)

Roll on Boston!!

Yeah, but I bet the Wrestlers 5k pb is even slower than Menos. You have him beat there!!

Congrats on the double-up DD. Very impressive work, particularly so when I consider that I still haven't been able to man up and do a single marathon yet.

Steady Treadie

Plan: 5 miles steady

At 9 degrees Fahrenheit this morning, it was colder than a witch's you-know-what today.....and it's not supposed to get much balmier any time soon to thaw out that you-know-what, so the decision has been made to do this week's sessions indoors on the treadmill. This is my final "easy/building" week before the heart and soul of this marathon plan begins on Monday, so I figure what the hay!

Treadie on 1%....music ramped and pumping. I did the first mile easing into an 8:30 min/mile pace, then kept it pretty steady (actually continued a slight increase in speed from 8:30 to 7:45) for the next 4 miles. I felt good and strong and really enjoyed those 5 miles. I added one more mile at the end - I did my power walk with weights, working on the upper body. I followed up the session with stretching and much needed ab work.

Actual: 5 miles pretty steady, + 1 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Tomorrow will be 99 days to go :D Not finding it as hard as I thought. Like you my OJ consumption has increased. My newest treat is lemon curd on crackers... Its just no chocolate replacement!

Treading Lightly

Plan: 3 miles easy

As mentioned last evening, this was a planned indoor-down-in-the-dungeon treadie trot due to the crazy cold weather and light dusting of snow today. This will be the last of the short easy stuff...meat and potatoes being served up next.

Set the mill at 1%, 2%, 3% for the corresponding miles....then did my power walk with weights for upper body work, leaving the setting at 3%. Followed this up with stretching and ab work.

Actual: 3 easy miles, + 1 mile

@shotgun...99 days left?? :D

Snow Falling and Sidewalk Hopping

Plan: 4 miles easy, 6 x 80m strides

Good god it's cold here!!! I bundled up for this session but the hands and the toes were half frozen for the first 3 miles of this run. Yuck-o!!!! I am so ready for spring it's not funny. Snow was lightly falling (which made for a pretty nice run in a postcard kind of way) and many of the town's folks had not bothered to remove the snow from their sidewalks so I spent most of this run going from sidewalk to street, depending on which surface was the least hazardous.

The run was okay, but I went too fast. Dammit! The flat and downhill sections felt easy, but it was the uphill sections I should have slowed on because I was definitely breathing too hard for them to qualify as easy. I knew this as I was running them, but for some unknown reason stubborn, pace obsessed, really want to be faster than I am I wouldn't adjust it back to a more appropriate effort for this session. Tomorrow is 15 miles easy, and I swear on a stack of bibles I will make the effort in the easy range.

The strides were done in the parking lot of our clinic, so the distance is always a guess. Paces averaged 5:40ish for these short bursts...and I kept arm pump heavily in mind when I did these. Also, I think my body was lower to the ground as well.

Followed this session up with 1 mile power walking on the treadmill working the upper body with weights...then ab work....then 40 minutes of yoga. I could really tell it had been a few weeks since I'd done yoga - not only was my body not wanting to bend like Gumby, but Norris the cat was absolutely delighted to see the yoga mat dusted off.

Actual: 4.41 miles in 37:33.8 for an average pace of 8:31 min/mile, 6 x ?m strides, 1 mile w/weights, abs, yoga

The All-About-Effort-While-Embracing-the-Hills Run

Plan: 15 miles easy

I hadn't done my clinic to Lake Arrowhead and back run for a good month now, so today I felt the need for a hilly endurance outing while keeping the effort easy session. Not a bad day out there either - in the upper 30s, sun sort of shining, breeze slightly blowing.

Because this route has most of its hills in the first half, my plan was to keep things super relaxed from the get go. One benefit of this easy Sunday morning run (key word is I actually did this easy) is that I looked around and noticed things...like the house that had an entire flower bed with vehicle tires being used as planters in the front yard. Really?? And another benefit is that going easy makes things very manageable. I'm also becoming a believer in the you can't bank time theory. You can't bank time. But you can save energy to use later in your run. That I believe in.

Not too many highlights to share. Hills were a workout, but I eased back on them and trudged upwards....met my running buddy at mile 8, and he and his dog ran the last 7 miles with me....allowed gravity to assist me on the descents, which was absolute heaven....and the very last mile of this route once again kicked my butt due to the cruel, final few hills contained therein. I absolutely hate that last mile.

Overall, this was a solid and well disciplined run. :) Happy with the effort and the pace considering the ups and downs of the terrain. I did have to run around the clinic parking lot for about 2 tenths of a mile to meet the 15 mile planned distance though. :o

Actual: 15 miles in 2:14:38 for an average pace of 8:58 min/mile

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good solid LSR Dory, well done.

I was going to send you a pic on FB of all the chocolate in the Raheny race bag today but that might just be a tad bit too cruel :cool:...or maybe not!!

Advertisement