Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

PosNeg wrote: »
    I had a coach once who put a lot of effort into planning sessions for my running group.

Said coach, to her eternal credit, was quick to recognize a 'step change' in fitness. Form - is fleeting - training plans are numbers on pages. I say go with form.

Ahhhhhh....look what the cat dragged in! :D P/N!! Always a way with words.....and always so much to say. ;) Per usual, I will embrace your sentiment, and go with form. :)

(by the way, how's your swimming....and did you get any proper body lotion to counteract the corrosive effects of the pool? ;))

After a few phone calls and a bit of nail biting, a small stash of Tropical Punch w/caffeine Shot Bloks have been secured. The DTs are subsiding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Dory Dory wrote: »
    After a few phone calls and a bit of nail biting, a small stash of Tropical Punch w/caffeine Shot Bloks have been secured. The DTs are subsiding.....

Step away...or I'll be onto your coach to make your sessions so much harder ;)

Step away...or I'll be onto your coach to make your sessions so much harder ;)

:D The stash just got a little bigger. The local shop called -my carton of Bloks I special ordered just arrived! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

:D The stash just got a little bigger. The local shop called -my carton of Bloks I special ordered just arrived! ;)

I give up :eek:

• Advertisement

Legs of Lead

Plan: 6 miles easy

Today's phone conversation with a client:

Dory: "Hey Donna, what can I do for you today?"
    Donna: "Hey, is that you I see running by my house all the time?"
    Dory: "Why yes it is." <beams with pride :D>
    Donna: "Well, I just wanted to let you know that when you wear that hat, you look like a little sperm running by."
    Dory: :eek:
    <thinking we must have a bad connection......>
    Dory: "What did you say?"
    Donna: "You look like a little sperm running by."
    Dory: :eek::eek: "What did you say?"
    Donna: "You look like a little sperm running by....you know, like in those movies."
    Dory: :confused::eek::confused::eek: "Did you say that I look like a sperm running by?"
    Donna: "Yes. Like in those movies...swimming....It's the hat."
    Dory: "I look like a sperm running by when I wear my hat?"
    Donna: "Yes."
    <uncontrollable laughter breaks out....followed by bewilderment....then horror :eek:>

And speaking of horror, legs felt horrible for this run - they are tired....no doubt from constantly and vigorously swimming upstream. ;) Seriously, they were dead on the first mile, and they just got more and more fatigued as the run went on. I did the exact same run as I did on Tuesday with the same wind and the same hills, but this was not the same easy run. I tried to keep the effort easy, but my thighs were letting me know that they felt that they had already put in enough time this week and were ready for a little rest and relaxation. Too bad, I told them, and just made this about strength more than anything else. It did occur to me at about the halfway point that I hadn't checked the plan...that I just assumed it was an 8 mile easy run.....but, when I got home and glanced at the plan, it was supposed to be 6 miles, not 8. Oh well. No harm. Just don't tell my legs. Highlights of the night - painting the toenails purple and watching the Capitals on ice. :D

Actual: 8.67 miles in1:15:03 in 8:39 min/mile

Just added up my running mileage for the week...and I believe it's a record high for me coming in at 62.03 miles over 6 days. No wonder my legs were toast last night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great stuff Dory- the faster pace's, allied with the extra volume, are setting you up well. You can consider 3:30 as something slower people run. Are you going to knock out any 10k or 21.1k PB's while you're in this purple patch?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great stuff Dory- the faster pace's, allied with the extra volume, are setting you up well. You can consider 3:30 as something slower people run. Are you going to knock out any 10k or 21.1k PB's while you're in this purple patch?

:D Hi Kurt!! I see you're still dripping wet from last night's 400 tt pb!!! Well done you!

I apologize - I believe you asked me a variation of this same question in an earlier post and I forgot to address it. No, I do not have any races between now and Boston lined up. Just plan on focusing on training for the next 7 weeks, keeping to the plan. I assume you feel there is value in a few races as a lead up to the A race?

:D Hi Kurt!! I see you're still dripping wet from last night's 400 tt pb!!! Well done you!

I'd still be swimming (up and down)x1000 if it wasn't for your encouragement, so a lot is down to your good self! Still a long ways to go yet, though.;)
    I apologize - I believe you asked me a variation of this same question in an earlier post and I forgot to address it. No, I do not have any races between now and Boston lined up. Just plan on focusing on training for the next 7 weeks, keeping to the plan. I assume you feel there is value in a few races as a lead up to the A race?

Yeah, I've asked this a few times;) but mainly to sate my own curiosity. I don't think running shorter races before necessarily translate into faster marathon times (although they won't make you slower), but of greater importance, they might give you a bit of confidence in cementing your pace improvements. Almost, like, some sort of weird trial by time if that makes any sense...:confused::confused:;)

• Advertisement

I'd still be swimming (up and down)x1000 if it wasn't for your encouragement, so a lot is down to your good self! Still a long ways to go yet, though.;)

Yeah, I've asked this a few times;) but mainly to sate my own curiosity. I don't think running shorter races before necessarily translate into faster marathon times (although they won't make you slower), but of greater importance, they might give you a bit of confidence in cementing your pace improvements. Almost, like, some sort of weird trial by time if that makes any sense...:confused::confused:;)

Mark is the bomb. Love that guy to death...and have the upmost respect for him as a coach and a person. You're in very good hands with him. :)

Yeah...the confidence thing. Still struggling a bit with the concept of 26 x 8 min miles...but getting there. Lots of internal mind things happening as I am starting to believe that I am a stronger runner than I was 17 weeks ago. One thing I know is, I'm going for it. I will look to Ecoli for pacing guidance and stick to the plan he gives me for race day. Discipline and determination will be my creed.

Busting with energy but on tired legs tonight translated into an hour of upper body, abs and yoga. It's Friday. I don't cook on Fridays. But I do drink Pinot Grigio on Fridays. :D Whoop whoop!

Garmin Free Zone

Plan: 8 miles easy

Because I know me...and because I know how I can't let go of something....and because I knew I really needed to take today's run at an honest-easy pace....I intentionally left my Garmin sitting on the kitchen table at home. Wise move....because whatever pace I ended up actually doing on this run was the right pace for my body on this day.

The first 4 miles were the most uncomfortable because my legs were so tight - I suppose they are still feeling the effects of the high mileage and quality sessions. I had to pee just before the halfway point and decided instead of popping behind a tree on Main Street on a busy Saturday morning (I prefer a quiet spot with a nice bush), I'd haul it back to the clinic for a quickie....knowing that this would add about a half a mile to my already planned 8.67 mile route (I know these streets very well).

Next half of the run was much better leg-wise than the first half. Tightness subsided and I was able to relax into the ups and downs of the street while keeping it all easy breezy. I had two interruptions during this second half - one of my girlie-friends drove by in her Subaru and we exchanged some very loud an obnoxious WOO HOOs that caused a few eyebrows on the street to be raised...and I had to stop at the train tracks while the very long and very riddle-with-train-art train whizzed by. Good stuff. :)

Actual: ~9.17 miles in I have no idea how long, but it was slow

"I eat hills for breakfast."*

Plan: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1 alternating easy and MP

What can I say about this session....other than it was tailored to my strengths. I fiddled around a bit before I headed out to get this one in the books - I'm always a bit apprehensive just before I go flying out the door to do an important session, but once I've got it going on then I'm all business. Today was no different.

Gorgeous day here, but very, very windy!! I did some quick calculations in my head to estimate where the hills and wind would be at each mile of this run because I wanted to ensure I did not wuss out by loading all the downhills and wind assists on my MP miles. I had to do two double-backs to make this happen, and I structured things so mile 10 (the start of my 3 MP miles) would be my toughest mile - all uphill and into the wind. I needed to test myself to see where I am...to hopefully gain confidence....and to make this a session I can hang my hat on. Job done. :)

Other things of note....I wanted to be distracted on this run so I did something I just about never do when I run on the road and that's take my iPod with me, so it was me, Adele, Christina and Imelda belting out tunes until my device died just before mile 18 :(....took 3 shot bloks before I set sail, 3 on mile 7, 2 on mile 13.....miles 15 and 16 seemed effortless....legs totally gone on mile 18....and when I finished the run I was over a mile away from my car so I decided to add a 2 mile recovery jog to loosen up the body.

And, again like last week...don't anyone go getting all dreamy-eyed about this run (hello Kurt ;)) mainly because I tend to recover quite fast (that's why this session suited me)....and because the fastest miles were on flat land. Plus, once again, I've gone at a faster pace than set out in the plan. Certainly I won't be averaging 7:20/7:30 min/mile on race day...unless they give us breaks with refreshments, massages and music in between each mile. ;)

Splits and brief commentary as follows:
    MP miles:
    Mile 2 - 7:26, slightly downhill/flat and wind at my back.

Mile 5 - 7:19, slightly downhill/flat and wind at my face.
    Mile 6 - 7:23, more uphill than downhill and wind at my face.

Mile 10 - 7:40, all uphill and all into the wind. Gah!
    Mile 11 - 7:20, equal parts uphill, flat, downhill...and equal parts wind at face and back.
    Mile 12 - 6:43, all downhill with wind at my back. Lovely. :)

Mile 15 - 7:15, flat but wind pushing and pulling me.
    Mile 16 - 7:07, flat but wind pushing and pulling me.

Mile 18 - 7:02, flat but wind pushing and pulling me.

Actual: 20 miles in 2:43:16 for an average pace of 8:09 min/mile

* thank you MarthaStew for reminding me of this. :D

Plus, once again, I've gone at a faster pace than set out in the plan.

The plan is wrong for your abilities. Or, you are overcooking the plan and risk injury. My money's on the first.

What does Coach say about you running most of the tougher sessions significantly faster than prescribed?

The plan is wrong for your abilities. Or, you are overcooking the plan and risk injury. My money's on the first.

What does Coach say about you running most of the tougher sessions significantly faster than prescribed?

He has not chimed in on that regard.

Not sure what to say about the other - abilities (I'm the one setting the paces, so it would me who has things wrong) vs. overcooking. I am still learning about this running training lark, so I am still making mistakes. I just ran what felt comfortable today (other than the hill on mile 10, which I pushed...and mile 18 when legs were fecked) - is that MP pace? Probably not....but I was happy with where I was.

He has not chimed in on that regard.

Not sure what to say about the other - abilities (I'm the one setting the paces, so it would me who has things wrong) vs. overcooking. I am still learning about this running training lark, so I am still making mistakes. I just ran what felt comfortable today (other than the hill on mile 10, which I pushed...and mile 18 when legs were fecked) - is that MP pace? Probably not....but I was happy with where I was.

Nothing wrong with making mistakes, so long as you learn from them. If a plan suggests X times MP, and you consistently are comfortable running it at 7:30-7:45 pace, then that's your marathon pace. You've improved your running ability during this training block, so its time to reevaluate your goals (and training paces, and finish time...).

By the way, most plans will tell you that PMP might be difficult for you to hit right now, but it will be alright on the night. You are hitting it with ease...

Nothing wrong with making mistakes, so long as you learn from them. If a plan suggests X times MP, and you consistently are comfortable running it at 7:30-7:45 pace, then that's your marathon pace. You've improved your running ability during this training block, so its time to reevaluate your goals (and training paces, and finish time...).

By the way, most plans will tell you that PMP might be difficult for you to hit right now, but it will be alright on the night. You are hitting it with ease...

Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hmm Kurt is onto something. Its your engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great training recently.
    When's your next race / time trial that you plan to run full out?

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great training recently.
    When's your next race / time trial that you plan to run full out?

I guess it's that little gathering of runners on April 15th up in Boston. Nothing else planned. Just training....training....training..... ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I guess it's that little gathering of runners on April 15th up in Boston. Nothing else planned. Just training....training....training..... ;):)

Might be no harm discussing a HM / 10k with your coach to fix that target time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Stick to the plan Dory - this will be your 3rd marathon and I have heard these you can go faster than that comments both times and both times you have come in slower than we all expected.

Get the sub 3:30 under your belt, that will have the confidence high and then have a real crack at a fast time in Dublin

catweazle wrote: »
    Stick to the plan Dory - this will be your 3rd marathon and I have heard these you can go faster than that comments both times and both times you have come in slower than we all expected.

Get the sub 3:30 under your belt, that will have the confidence high and then have a real crack at a fast time in Dublin

I know.....those previous two attempts have crossed my mind.

Speaking of Dublin....are you a go? Will I have the pleasure of sharing the course with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A race before Boston would be good for addressing that. If DD's in better than 3.30 shape, it'll show up in a half marathon or a 10k. If she's in 3.30 form but only that, good to learn that from a shorter race too.
    You don't want to be on the marathon startline thinking that you could do 3.30... or maybe 3.20.. or 3.15. Because in those early miles when it all feels easy, if you think you can run 3.20 you'll fall into a 7.30/mile pace. If you know you can't finish that fast it's easier to find the discipline to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I know.....those previous two attempts have crossed my mind.

Speaking of Dublin....are you a go? Will I have the pleasure of sharing the course with you?

Jaysus you are up early :eek:

At the moment yes but things can change a lot between now and October ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    Jaysus you are up early :eek:

At the moment yes but things can change a lot between now and October ;)

Been having difficulty sleeping recently.....that's why awake at this ungodly hour.

Dammit cw....make the Dublin commitment and stick with it....or I will have to shame you into it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Stating the obvious: flat marathons and running in general - way out of my comfort zone and knowledge.

From the little I know ... DD and Coach are working along with a plan. Pacing, endurance and steps along that plan are no doubt obvious to coach and athlete. All good.

And I know, Marathons and a Boston entry don't come around that often and there's a fairly serious side to it in terms of blowing up ... but ... maybe it's my mood right now but ...

Stick to the plan, listen to your coach, listen to your own body and how it's responded to training. Focus and never be afraid to fail. Only makes us stronger. All the best things hurt like hell during race day, but that all fades and you're left with either knowing your limits or having the satisfaction of achieving a target you never thought possible *forever*. They're the good days - don't let something like pain or indecision get in the way.

... before you say it ... (get back in the pool monkey boy !!!) ... Ill leave ya'll too it.

Apologies for cluttering up your log DD with such uninformed talk ;)
    All the best with the rest of your training.

Recovery-Recovery

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

A quickie treadmill recovery over lunch with some upper body work as well. And speaking of my upper body...had physio session #4 tonight, and this time he worked on my upper body as well as my lower body. Well, apparently, according to the man with the hands, I have a fascial bias between my upper and lower body. :confused: I knew I was in trouble when he asked me if I ever do push ups and I said "no"...which was followed immediately by "I can tell.". :( My upper body is disproportionate to my lower body, which is basically code for scrawny. BTH....you following this?? I need those magical pink dumb bells back - can you please drop them in the post ASAP? ;)

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My upper body is disproportionate to my lower body, which is basically code for born distance runner

fyp

Advertisement