Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Thanks Kurt! :)

No tester races planned at this point. I used Disney as a tester of sorts and came away from those two days of running with loads of knowledge and added confidence, so I will leave it at that and save my time and energy for training instead of travel.

Ah the Disney thing certainly proved you have the endurance needed, no doubt about that! Curious about your speed though. What's your shout out time for Boston- I'm presuming it's 3:20-3:30 range from your training? Personally I think you could go under 3:20, but I don't want to pressure you (sure I do!;)) and you're in very good hands with Coach Shorttrousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sin #1 taken...:o

Good man, shotgun. You would have been ridiculed by the little people had you not partaken in the sugar orgy, thus embarrassing shotgun junior, and perhaps scarring the both of you for life. ;) Which begs the question, how much space should I make on my awards shelf for your Irish rowing medal? ;);):):D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Ah the Disney thing certainly proved you have the endurance needed, no doubt about that! Curious about your speed though. What's your shout out time for Boston- I'm presuming it's 3:20-3:30 range from your training? Personally I think you could go under 3:20, but I don't want to pressure you (sure I do!;)) and you're in very good hands with Coach Shorttrousers.

Speed? I have no speed. That's why I focus on distance running. ;)

My shout out time? Aw jeez....this again? Well...if you must know (and let's keep this between you and me ;))....I am using a target of 3:30 for training purposes, but I am not convinced I can go 26.2+ miles at an average pace of 8 min/mile. I'm not there. Yet. So....the first obvious goal is to PB (3:39:xx is current PB)....then set my sights on 3:35....then maybe wrap my head around 3:30. I have confidence in my endurance and my ability to give it some kick for the last 3 to 6 miles IF I pace the first 20 to 23 wisely (and mind my nutrition and hydration), but that wise pace is my balancing act between skipping merrily across the finish line in one piece and blowing up in pure Spinal Tap drummer fashion. Plus, there is the added dimension of having to execute a technically difficult plan to match a technically difficult course. (At least technically difficult for me.) And...3:20????:eek::eek::eek: Are you mad???? ;):)

Yes, Coach Shorttrousers/Babyface is the bomb. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You've been very informative and helpful in taking my swim times down, so I feel a little obliged to return the favour (this is a nice way of saying if you make me HTFU I'm gonna make you HTFU;))...

I'm not going to touch the good advice you're getting from coach- all I'll say is that you shouldn't create barriers to your ability where none exist. There's a few caveats you list above that don't need to be there.
    I have confidence in my endurance
    So you should, it's obvious you have the endurance in spades.
    and my ability to give it some kick for the last 3 to 6 miles
    Another obvious attribute noticed from your training- but for the sake of argument I'm going to suggest that the amount you can increase pace over the last few miles on a long run might suggest you're doing the first part too slow?
    IF I pace the first 20 to 23 wisely (and mind my nutrition and hydration)
    You should banish this thought from your head. There's no reason to think you'll do anything but pace wisely, and you're practicing fueling on your long runs.
    Plus, there is the added dimension of having to execute a technically difficult plan to match a technically difficult course. (At least technically difficult for me.)
    You're well used to running hills, I've not run Boston but have seen the profile, and it's not difficult for someone used to changes in elevation. In fact, running slight hills can be beneficial in a marathon, in that they make you use/rest different muscle groups. A fact runners who train on hills often underappreciate.

In short, you're willing to put in the training, you have the ability; you're well capable of going under 3:30 and better. I appreciate its very easy giving advice from behind a keyboard, but I'm only doing so because you advised me to up my game, and it worked, and I can see the benefits in handing that advice back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Coach short trousers???? Ah yeah Kurt come over here and hid behind your little bike and start the name calling :D

Kurt is right however (suppose old age hasn't robbed you of all your wits just yet :p) there is no doubt 3.30 will be an afterthough if you keep going the way you are going. The strength is there and that was the aim of the first half of the plan and it looks to have worked a treat now its all about getting your body comfortable with 3.30 but all going according the plan come about 18-20 miles you will push on from that so 1st though should be 3.30 and second should be 3.25 not 3.35. You are strong and tough as nails and the training is going to emphasize that

There is alot of talk about Heartbreak hill but to be honest I think this is just down to position and race strategy. If you are strong and dont go out like a hare for the first few miles because you are on a downhill then you shouldnt suffer the way most people go on. The hill itself is not that bad from both map descriptions and peoples accounts.

If you run a smart race then I think the course can be fast as has been proven in recent years (even without devine help of hurricane winds:D)

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You've been very informative and helpful in taking my swim times down, so I feel a little obliged to return the favour (this is a nice way of saying if you make me HTFU I'm gonna make you HTFU;))...

I'm not going to touch the good advice you're getting from coach- all I'll say is that you shouldn't create barriers to your ability where none exist. There's a few caveats you list above that don't need to be there.

So you should, it's obvious you have the endurance in spades.

Another obvious attribute noticed from your training- but for the sake of argument I'm going to suggest that the amount you can increase pace over the last few miles on a long run might suggest you're doing the first part too slow?

You should banish this thought from your head. There's no reason to think you'll do anything but pace wisely, and you're practicing fueling on your long runs.

You're well used to running hills, I've not run Boston but have seen the profile, and it's not difficult for someone used to changes in elevation. In fact, running slight hills can be beneficial in a marathon, in that they make you use/rest different muscle groups. A fact runners who train on hills often underappreciate.

In short, you're willing to put in the training, you have the ability; you're well capable of going under 3:30 and better. I appreciate its very easy giving advice from behind a keyboard, but I'm only doing so because you advised me to up my game, and it worked, and I can see the benefits in handing that advice back to you.

And this is why I am a little sweet on you. ;)

ecoli wrote: »
    Coach short trousers???? Ah yeah Kurt come over here and hid behind your little bike and start the name calling :D

Kurt is right however (suppose old age hasn't robbed you of all your wits just yet :p) there is no doubt 3.30 will be an afterthough if you keep going the way you are going. The strength is there and that was the aim of the first half of the plan and it looks to have worked a treat now its all about getting your body comfortable with 3.30 but all going according the plan come about 18-20 miles you will push on from that so 1st though should be 3.30 and second should be 3.25 not 3.35. You are strong and tough as nails and the training is going to emphasize that

There is alot of talk about Heartbreak hill but to be honest I think this is just down to position and race strategy. If you are strong and dont go out like a hare for the first few miles because you are on a downhill then you shouldnt suffer the way most people go on. The hill itself is not that bad from both map descriptions and peoples accounts.

If you run a smart race then I think the course can be fast as has been proven in recent years (even without devine help of hurricane winds:D)

And this is why I tapped you for the job. Let's work on getting the body comfortable with 3:30 and see what happens. :)

Recovery and @ss Rubs

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Legs feel great. The 8 miles on Saturday and 16 miles on Sunday did them no harm, so I felt like I was slacking by only doing an easy 20 minutes on the treadie at lunch....but, I trust in the plan and know that each session has a purpose, and therefore I will not deviate unless I am told to deviate by the man in charge. I also did some upper body work, however I didn't have time for my abs so I plan on giving them some love tomorrow.

Actual: 20 minutes recovery on the treadie, upper body work

I had my session with the kiniesiologist this evening to try and "fix" my painful glute/hamstring that seems to be aggravated by hills but was SOOO much better today perhaps because I used my thigh compression sleeve on yesterday's 16 miler. He was nice (avid hockey fan)...was gentler than I expected (gave a great @ss rub ;))....and believes I injured my piriformis "some time ago" (translation: where the hell have you been??). Long story short - he poked, prodded, rubbed, pulled, pushed, bent, stretched and told me to come back next week. And he said to keep using my thigh compression sleeve. And indicated next week might not be as enjoyable. :eek:

Dorkville

Plan: 8 miles easy

I did this session solo and in total dork-mode in my spiffy reflector "crossing guard" belt and flashing light. :o And in true dork fashion, I left my Garmin sitting on the coffee table. :( I considered rushing home to grab it but decided not to bother since this was an easy run based on the body's reaction and effort. Additionally, I knew the mileage I'd be doing since I was running the exact same route I did last Tuesday. Oh, and we can't forget the thigh compression sleeves I squeezed into to complete the dork theme for this evening's run. I call them my thigh girdles. But because they compress only the area on which they are worn, they aren't very flattering, especially with your bottom spilling over them.

Sooooo.....off I skipped into the evening....glowing like an idiot....and skipping faster than I should've been. Oops!! The horses just wanted to have some fun, but by the time I hit the first real hill at about the 1.5 mile point, my legs were tight and heavy, and I knew I was neglecting those slow twitch fibres that longed to be recruited. I dialed it back and let the legs tell me when they were happy again. Easy. I must embrace the easy. :)

The rest of the run was pretty unremarkable. It was a gorgeous evening and I was way overdressed in my two pairs of bottoms, three tops, hat and gloves. I do a lot of laundry in the winter. Kept it light and fluffy for the duration, which helped with the legs, but I was surprised how un-fresh they felt after feeling so good yesterday. Was that feeling delayed fatigue from the weekend? Or was it because of the therapy session I had yesterday?? Whatever it was, these legs have less than 24 hours to get ready for tomorrow's gut wrenching session....which may have to be done on the treadmill due to work related issues.

Finished the evening with some stretches and abdominal work.

Actual: 8 miles in approximately 1:15:xxish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Just catching up DD, Great training going on over here. Hope the injury doesn't develop any more and is sorted very soon.

Keep up the fab work!!! :D

"You are strong and tough as nails...."**

Plan: 2 miles warmup, 5 miles @ HMP, 2 miles easy

The facts:
    - Had to do this one on the treadie due to work not cooperating with me at the moment.
    - Donned my very attractive thigh girdles.
    - Set the treadie to 1%.
    - Cranked the metal music to the wake-the-dead setting.
    - Did the warmup and cool down at an easy breezy 10 min/mile.
    - Knocked out the 5 HMP miles at 7:36 min/mile.

Endorphin induced commentary ramble:
    I actually like doing some of my sessions on the treadmill because it gives me a change in scenery, comforts of home, steady pacing, and mental discipline practice. Once again, the coach gave me a solid session to do...and I approached it in the spirit in which he imparted to me - to get my body used to 3:30. That's all it took....with that concept of conditioning the body in that way that he very simply put it, there was zero chance that I would not hit my target pace for 5 consecutive miles tonight. Mind over matter. You break it down, and it's less than 40 minutes at an even pace. To me, that was less than 10 songs. To be honest, it's always the early fast miles that are the toughest...then the body settles into a rhythm and the cadence becomes somewhat driven by momentum and automation. I even detach my mind from my body (okay, this is sounding really weird :o) and become the music (even weirder :o) which allows the body to stay relaxed and trick it into a non-stressed state. For some reason, Bambaata's recent DCM report popped in my head and I thought about all the suffering he did....and I was not willing to allow myself to perceive that I was suffering on these 5 miles, and that is why I employed my tricks. Which begs the question, did I suffer? I have no idea....I didn't notice.

Actual: 9 miles in 1:17:30...including 5 miles @ 7:36 min/mile

**Thank you Ecoli for providing me with this mantra. :)

• Advertisement

Back Roads and Main Street

Plan: 6 miles easy

A nice evening out tonight, but I still layered up pretty well since I'm trying to come down with a cold that must be resistant to Vitamin C based on the volume of orange juice I am drinking. :confused: Oh well....can't let a few sniffles get in the way of things at this stage. Between tomorrow being a rest day, catching up on some sleep this weekend, and adding cold fighting drugs to my routine, this should be no bother to me. :)

I did the first half of this run on my own and decided to hit some of the back roads of town to visit a few particular hills that I've neglected for many weeks. I headed up to a park where I opted to run two figure 8s between two parking lots instead of running on the mulched track....then I scurried down to hook up with my running friend. These first three miles felt good, especially the second mile that was done too fast due to the flatness of the parking lot I was running in. 8:48, 8:17, 8:41

Picked up my friend at his shop and the pace was immediately slowed down as he is very good at keeping me in check when I need to go slow. Mile 4 also unearthed fatigue in the legs. Not bad fatigue, but I could feel last night's session in them which also helped to keep the pace down. 9:06, 9:02, 9:06, 3:55 (8:55)

Returned home just in time to catch the beginning of the Caps hockey game (miserable, painful, desperate, and awful are just a few words that come to mind for their current season) and did some upper body work and abs while I suffered through their continuing downward spiral.

Actual: 6.44 miles in 56:56.55 for an average pace of 8:50 min/mile, +1 w/upper body, abs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

...then the body settles into a rhythm and the cadence becomes somewhat driven by momentum and automation. I even detach my mind from my body and become the music which allows the body to stay relaxed and trick it into a non-stressed state. :)

Thats exaclty the way i feel when on the dreadmill for any length of time...sometimes i become so detatched that i don't even notice the music!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good man, shotgun. You would have been ridiculed by the little people had you not partaken in the sugar orgy, thus embarrassing shotgun junior, and perhaps scarring the both of you for life. ;) Which begs the question, how much space should I make on my awards shelf for your Irish rowing medal? ;);):):D

OUCH - you're going to take his pot!!!! Payback's a b1tch :D

pgibbo wrote: »

Ahhh...but his pot was offered to me by the man himself. ;) Plus, he was scheming to take mine! All is fair......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

But its his medal, sob!

:p

And I have another mantra for you:

I know I can
    I know I should
    And I damn well will.

Oryx wrote: »
    But its his medal, sob!

:p

And I have another mantra for you:

I know I can
    I know I should
    And I damn well will.

I'll send shotgun photos of his medal with its new friends in the form of swimming ribbons, medals and trophies....and he can email or write anytime he wants. It'll be fine.

Okay....Ecoli's mantra will be tattooed on my left arm, your mantra will be tattooed on my right arm. Done!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

pgibbo wrote: »
    I have 2 pots but they are lost at my Fathers house. The wager was a medal and the medal I had in mind may have a better story to accompany it. Anyway, still 3 months for hoochiedoubleD to hold on :)

I have 2 pots but they are lost at my Fathers house. The wager was a medal and the medal I had in mind may have a better story to accompany it. Anyway, still 3 months for hoochiedoubleD to hold on :)

You mean....literally a pot?? I thought "pot" was a figure of speech....pot of gold....prize....medal. Didn't know P was talking about a pot! That would be kinda costly to ship. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

00297029%20-%20250x202.jpg

What the girls have in their hands are "Irish rowing championship pots"...very very proud possessions for anyone that has one!!

^^^ Ohhhhhh.....got it! :)

• Advertisement

I can't Have a Piece of Chocolate, but Give me One more Mile

Plan: 8 miles easy

I've got a full on snot-fest happening so I thought it wise to do this run indoors since Boston is only 9 weeks away and this session was to just tire the legs for tomorrow's 16 miler. Not much to say, really....I felt great, my cold seemed to be a non-issue, got to a happy place and relaxed, and ran one extra mile because I just didn't want to stop. :) Followed up with a little upper body work and some love to the abs.

Actual: 9 miles easy on the treadie, +1 upper body, abs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

I can't Have a Piece of Chocolate....

... but garlic and echinacea are yummy !

pgmcpq wrote: »
    ... but garlic and echinacea are yummy !

Hey!!! You doing okay? How bad did the storm hit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hey!!! You doing okay? How bad did the storm hit you?

We only got 6-8 inches. Good excuse to pay kids to shovel for us and watch the Walkind Dead marathon on AMC !

Take care of that cold.

10 + 6 = (fill in the blank)

Plan: 10 miles easy, 6 miles MP

Woke up this morning feeling like snotty crap. Nose and eyes were all crusted over (how lovely) and eyes were irritated and bloodshot....and of course I was coughing and hacking. I seriously considered doing this session inside, but I had already lined up my friend to do the easy miles with, and once I got some food and drink in me and got moving around I felt a little better.

Gorgeous day out there. When I started my journey this morning it was 27 degrees Fahrenheit and sunny....and when I finished the 16 miles it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit, sunny and windy.

10 easy....
    My goal with the 10 easy miles was to keep pace around 9 min/mile, but more importantly to keep the effort at a comfortable level. It's always good for me to have my running companion with me on the easy miles because he keeps a tight rein on me and makes me slow down. We also chat away the miles so they tick by without too much notice. We did the steep, long hills of the west end of town first, then we did the rolling hills of the east end of town next. I dropped him off after just over 8.5 miles to continue on more flat terrain to work on my MP pace. I did stop, however, at this point to take some shot blocks, Gatorade and water before I blasted off again. When my Garmin alerted me I was starting mile 10, I started to pick the pace up a little so the first MP mile wouldn't be such a shock to the system.

10 miles easy splits:
    9.31, 9:02, 9:38, 9:08, 9:02, 8:58, 8:52, 8:57, 8:52, 8:29

6 miles MP....
    As soon as the Garmin buzzed the start of mile 11, I kicked it up a notch - only thing is, I kicked it way too high at the start as after a quarter of a mile I was at 7:07 pace. Oops! Ease it back I did, but I was still a bit too fast for my targeted 8 min/mile pace. The wind was also playing games with me at this point, providing me with an obstacle I had not anticipated - but I kept telling myself that the wind would be my hills, so suck it up and embrace it. The next two miles were a little slower and felt very relaxed. I'm not sure what happened on the fourth MP mile but I amped it up again without realizing it....however this mile, coupled with the wind, took its toll on me as I shot my wad here, making the last two miles by far the toughest. For these last two miles I had to dig a little deeper to keep going. I tried using some of my tricks, but in a public environment with people smiling and trying to engage you as you fly by them makes it a little harder to do. By the time I got to my last MP mile I really wanted to either stop or slow down, but Catweazle's voice popped in my head telling me to always try and make my last hard mile my fastest...so I couldn't let up, even though I knew all of these MP miles were faster than planned (is that a bad thing?). The only thing I could focus on for these last few minutes was making sure this last mile was quicker than the others....and then as soon as the Garmin buzzed the end to mile 16, I stopped. After catching my breath, I walked the mile or so to my vehicle - I just didn't have it in me to run any further. Don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but I was done.

6 miles MP splits:
    7:41, 7:46, 7:43, 7:33, 7:38, 7:26

Actual: 16 miles in 2:16:30 for an average pace of 8:31 min/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

but Catweazle's voice popped in my head telling me to always try and make my last hard mile my fastest.

:confused::confused: Would I not be telling you to give in, you have done enough already, usually thats what I tell myself anyways :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice running!

catweazle wrote: »
    :confused::confused: Would I not be telling you to give in, you have done enough already, usually thats what I tell myself anyways :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nice running!

Okay, so you are better at giving advice than taking your own. Seems like that is rampant 'round these parts. ;)

Recovery/Recovering

Plan: 20 minutes recovery

Just a quick 20 minute recovery trot on the treadie over lunch followed by some upper body work. I really noticed yesterday during my last two MP miles when I was dying a slow, painful death that I really employed my arms to keep me going....so, between that and my tank tops, upper body work is a must for this gal. ;)

Actual: 20 minutes recovery, upper body

Had my second session tonight with the physio (I believe that's what you folks call them) and my injury is some improved. I've been wearing my thigh compression sleeves religiously and I think they've been assisting in this process. I go back next Monday, then, depending on how much pain he elicits, I may be able to go two weeks between sessions. Otherwise my legs are in super shape. This training plan seems to really be agreeing with me. Fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Happy pancake Tuesday! So gluten free still considered a sin? :o

• Advertisement

Happy pancake Tuesday! So gluten free still considered a sin? :o

Sounds like a bit of a guilty conscious to me if you're asking....but, perhaps my chocolate-free, won't-even-eat-a-muffin-for-breakfast-cuz-it-might-be-considered-cake mind isn't thinking clearly. ;) I will defer to you to make the call here since I am sitting in the driver's seat...but even if gluten free pancakes aren't a sin, the sheer gluttony of consuming 7 needs serious consideration. :D

Advertisement