Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

Here the plan for this week.

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|5m|1 mile easy, 4x1000m (.63 on Garmin) @ 10k pace with 3 min recovery between reps , 1 mile easy|5m|rest|20min @ HMP|90 min easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

I see you're all doing mad mileage by now... well done.

I'm back to running after 3 months break (being on and off sick few times with colds, sore throat and nasty chest infection :mad:). Then I didn't want to rush it so waited a bit after it fully cleared.
    I focused more on some strength training at home in the meantime and my diet drifted closer to primal/paleo :)

Easy 4.3 km, avg pace 5:45min/km... avg HR 137 :eek: - 10 bpms lower than before for the same pace... I compared the strap reading with "manual" HR and it seems to match. Legs felt a bit heavy though.

And I was welcomed by hail stones today! :eek::mad::eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Welcome Back Meijin...we are trying to keep things ticking over!! I hope you are fully recovered and are back to slowly build back up the mileage!!

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|||18m|555.55m||
    Younganne|2|15.58m|24.59m|271.56|only ran twice this week but not too worried about it, will get back into next week|
    red face dave ||||222|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |||0|112.57m||

Sometimes Life just gets in the way and makes you too tired mentally & physically to run....but it will all come good again soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

BobMac104|8|61m|79m|616.55m|heavy week this week but legs are ok running a good bit on grass at the moment|
    Younganne|2|15.58m|24.59m|271.56|only ran twice this week but not too worried about it, will get back into next week|
    red face dave ||||222|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |||0|112.57m||

Good week this week. two speed sessions 8x400m @82/83 and the 1000's also @ 3:47ish
    20m LSR @ 8:04. I had to dig in a bit for the last 2 miles. but i was happy that the pace didnt drop. Really enjoying these compared to when I was doing them on my own. The company of the lads from the club is a big help and the miles fly by.

I am runnning alot on grass at the moment too.(as the local pitches are bone dry!) which is saving the legs a bit. I reckon i did 26 miles this week on grass which is really taking the edge off the miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

BobMac104|8|61m|79m|616.55m|heavy week this week but legs are ok running a good bit on grass at the moment|
    red face dave ||||222|
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |4|26.35m|26.35m|138.92m|42km this week, happy with that!|

Light week this coming week since I have my first race (10 mile) on Sunday in Cobh. I'm unsure what sort of pace to aim for though, I can run a sub 50 10k for a tempo run, but I wouldn't be confident about what's left in the tank after. I did a 1:35 10 mile run a few weeks ago as a tester, so I'd be looking to come in under 1:30 anyway. Anyone have any advice on achieving a balance between a decent pace and initial race common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

scriba wrote: »
    Light week this coming week since I have my first race (10 mile) on Sunday in Cobh. I'm unsure what sort of pace to aim for though, I can run a sub 50 10k for a tempo run, but I wouldn't be confident about what's left in the tank after. I did a 1:35 10 mile run a few weeks ago as a tester, so I'd be looking to come in under 1:30 anyway. Anyone have any advice on achieving a balance between a decent pace and initial race common sense?

Scriba, best of luck with the race in Cobh! Others will be better placed to advise you, but since its your first race, I'd say just go out there and enjoy it! There'll be plenty more races to test yourself, but 1:30 sounds like its a good target :)

Best of luck in the race. i reckon go out at 9 min miles and if you feel good after 6 kick on maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd be slightly more agressive than the others. A 50 min 10k is 8 min/mile. If you can do 6.2 miles @ 8 min/mile in training I see know reason why you can't do that for an extra 3.8 miles in a race scenario. Go for sub 1'20 I say!!

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll see how I'm feeling on the day, and will tailor my approach accordingly. Maybe I'll end up somewhere in between all three suggestions. I like your thinking Monoscemo, nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll see how I'm feeling on the day, and will tailor my approach accordingly. Maybe I'll end up somewhere in between all three suggestions. I like your thinking Monoscemo, nothing ventured, nothing gained eh?

Racing is about taking risks. It's the reward for your training. No point doing a race in a time you could beat in training. You'll get more of a buzz setting a great PB than just jogging around the course; granted it'll hurt more in the short term but in the long term you'll remember it more fondly :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Racing is about taking risks. It's the reward for your training. No point doing a race in a time you could beat in training. You'll get more of a buzz setting a great PB than just jogging around the course; granted it'll hurt more in the short term but in the long term you'll remember it more fondly :D

I agree...I have been doing my races looking at the Garmin and trying to stick to paces i know i can do in training hence never really giving it my all....go out and enjoy the run and run your best on the day that you can!! Take the first couple of miles easy or else do a couple of warm up miles before the race and then you'll be ready to give it your all:D
    Good luck Scriba

I'd be slightly more agressive than the others. A 50 min 10k is 8 min/mile. If you can do 6.2 miles @ 8 min/mile in training I see know reason why you can't do that for an extra 3.8 miles in a race scenario. Go for sub 1'20 I say!!

Looking at it again you.re probably right meno.

As its your first race though you still want to enjoy it. Overall i would go out steady and kick on later in the race. My first race a guy taking registrations said the same to me and i was passing loads of people near the end which left me really looking forward to the next race.
    Best of luck and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

red face dave |4|17|17|239| Good week and a new pb
    Nules10 ||||256.3||
    run44||||297.6m||
    shazkea||||64|
    KittyMittens||||38.8||
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast||||83.94||
    scriba |4|26.35m|26.35m|138.92m|42km this week, happy with that!|

I'll have a shiny new PB regardless! By default. :p

I know I can cover the distance, so I'll really give this a bash. My concerns really are more about how I will react physically and psychologically to race conditions. I'm nervous and excited to find out how it will go. :)
    Younganne wrote: »
    I agree...I have been doing my races looking at the Garmin and trying to stick to paces i know i can do in training hence never really giving it my all....go out and enjoy the run and run your best on the day that you can!! Take the first couple of miles easy or else do a couple of warm up miles before the race and then you'll be ready to give it your all:D
    Good luck Scriba

I'm a slave to numbers, but I'm only beginning to get an idea of 'feeling' what pace I'm running at. I'll definitely try push on though. That's good advice, thanks Younganne.
    BobMac104 wrote: »
    Looking at it again you.re probably right meno.
    As its your first race though you still want to enjoy it. Overall i would go out steady and kick on later in the race. My first race a guy taking registrations said the same to me and i was passing loads of people near the end which left me really looking forward to the next race.
    Best of luck and have fun.

I always find the first couple of km tough regardless of the pace I set out at, as my body gets used to getting breath into my lungs, so this isn't a bad idea.

Thanks all, for the advice and the wishes. Whatever happens, it's going to be great, and I'm really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I always find the first couple of km tough regardless of the pace I set out at, as my body gets used to getting breath into my lungs, so this isn't a bad idea.

Do a very easy warmup before the race - 5 or 10 minutes of jogging. That way you'll be ready to run right from the start.

Hi Folks

Next target race is upon us. Here is the plan for the week

Hi Folks

Here the plan for this week.

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3m|1 mile easy, 4x400 @ 10k pace with 1 min recovery between reps , 1 mile easy|3m|rest|10 min very light jog|Race

- GIR Roll call -

@ Scriba +1 on Raycuns advice regarding a warm up. With shorter races you can be a bit more aggressive and I as Meno said if you can hit 50 min 10k tempo in training should be no problem race. Tempo paces should roughly should be between 10m and HM race paces.

My advice would be to use the first mile or so to ease into it and get agressive from there. 10 mile is long enough that you can hurt by going out too hard but short enough that you can work into it and still be agressive

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Good luck scriba. As you said yourself it'll be a shiny PB either way but a quicker one would be nicer:D

I have nothing to add advice wise as I'm pretty new to this racing thing too except although you may feel like you're dying at certain points in the race I feel you come back around again during it too, especially on the down slope!!!

I have to warm up for 2 k before a race or my lungs won't let me go anywhere so +1 on that too.

Ecoli
    Any plan for those not racing at the weekend?. My race (Boyne 10k) isn't till the 6th May so another 4 weeks for me

IF not don't worry I continue doing familiar to what we have been doing for the past few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

How many of us are doing this race and what times are people hoping for?

- GIR Roll call -

Cutex 49:59

• Advertisement

Going to give it a miss. Didn't really enjoy it last year. Have a local 10k in 2 weeks instead.

Younganne wrote: »
    Ecoli
    Any plan for those not racing at the weekend?. My race (Boyne 10k) isn't till the 6th May so another 4 weeks for me

IF not don't worry I continue doing familiar to what we have been doing for the past few weeks anyway.

I would say not a bad idea to have a bit of a down week even those who aren't racing. Just swap race with 90 min run @ steady pace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Just found this thread. Having being very disappointed with 4hrs 27 last year. Started to take things a little more seriously in the new year. Was really lazy in the 6 weeks after Dublin. Down from my time as I thought that I should have done better but I know now that I did all my long runs at faster than race pace and that was a bad idea. So first up was Dungarvan 10. Did it in a hard 75 mins. Next up was Ballycotton and was happy with doing it under 72 mins (10 mins faster than mallow the previous year). two weeks latter I had my head set on Sub 70 as I felt I was not pushing in Ballycotton but going for equal splits which I had. Didn't notice the hill at the end which is a first for me in a race. Mallow didn't go to plan. Did first 5 miles in 35 mins and ended up with just under 75 mins. Ended up at the wrong place at the start, got excited and stressed about traffic rather than relaxing into it. Mistake was done in the first mile. So to-date I have 597 miles this year. Feel a lot stronger now and feel sub 70 for a 10 miler is on the cards if I keep my head. Didn't have much time for miles as in college 3 nights a week. Big mileage to follow. 65 miles in last 7 days with only 12 miles of a long run. The biggest thing has been slowing down and slowing down a lot I have got faster as last year I ran all the time at 8min/mile and was wrecked all the time. The strange thing at the moment is that I feel that I am not running that much and that I am actually cutting my runs short. Feel really really good. Have been getting a lot of help with my training and how to plan out my weeks and leading up to races etc. If only I can shift another stone so that the speed can come :) Bring on DCM 2012 :)

Excellent stuff rom, great numbers! Although I'm the newest here, welcome to the thread. :D

I'm a Corkonian on a DCM thread, in fact I'm thinking DCM 2012 will be my first foray into marathon distance (I could also do with shifting a stone before then!)

That makes 3 from cork on here so! I am in a similar situation to you rom id say. New to the sport still. Started running in may last year. did 4:03 in DCM2011 and would like to beat that time in cork in June. Did 73 for dungarvan, 70 for ballycotton and 70 for mallow and doing similar milage to yourself. Welcome to the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104 wrote: »
    That makes 3 from cork on here so! I am in a similar situation to you rom id say. New to the sport still. Started running in may last year. did 4:03 in DCM2011 and would like to beat that time in cork in June. Did 73 for dungarvan, 70 for ballycotton and 70 for mallow and doing similar milage to yourself. Welcome to the thread!
    Are ya in a club ? How has your 10 mile or similar race times progressed from last year ? How is your week structured ? Mine is two sessions and a long run (12 miles and increasing) (next big race cork 1/2). Do you have pounds to shed like myself ? just wondering.

No pounds to shed luckily. Ya joined a club after Dublin and it has made the world of difference.If you have the chance to join somewhere i would jump at it.

Time wise my first race was a 5 miler in september i think last year and i did it in 39:5x I did 34:4X on in a 5m in january. I dunno what id do now maybe around 33mins based on my 70min 10m.

ya pretty similar to yourself. two speed sessions at the moment they are 8x400m and 4x1000s on tuesdays and thursdays respectively. during the winter we were doing mile repeats (killers) and hills for quality sessions. Long run on sundays. did 20m last sunday (training for cork). overall i hit 61m last week which is the most ive done but have been doing over 50 regularly enough for a few months. I am not intentially going to go higher than low 60's for cork. I must say i dont have a plan going into the week i am just following whatever the people in the club are doing and learning from them at the moment.

I should also add that the advice that ive gotten in our little thread has been invaluable really. E.colis input aswell as a few others has really helped me along. For people who dont know me etc to give up their time to answer my never ending questions and put together plans is amazing really.

Welcome back Rom, you're doing great work there and you seem to have got more dedicated, we not just happy any more to plod(speaking for myself here:D) around doing miles but have upped the anti with hills, reps etc. Ecoli gives us a weekly plan and we follow that and that way with guidance we are less like to get injured.
    I love the variey of the training now and did DCM last yr in same time as you 4.27. I was happy with that as i was aiming sub 4.30 and that was a 14min improvement on my first marathon in 2010.
    Don't worry with the weight, if you write a food diary for a week you'll be able to see where you weakness is and cut out the rubbish, add more healthy fruit & veg and make sure you get enough protein and carbs and you should be ok...

@Rom Welcome aboard. In terms of Mallow dont worry even the most experienced runners can panic in terms of traffic at start of the race. I made the exact same mistake in Waterford HM starting waayyy too far back and going off like headless chicken to try and make up for it.

In terms of your mileage it will stand to you big time. More strength you have the more you will be able to handle quality work and better able to recover.

In terms of the few pounds consistent training like you are doing and they will fall off. Aside from that best advice I can give you is try to have a healthy balanced diet. This does not mean you have to be a saint but simply few less take away's/beers chicken and fish and try replacing a fair bit of your white carbs (white bread/rice/pasta) with brown before training slash races (though can be of some benefit after long runs etc. Also Chicken and fish are your friends

If you are looking for advice here is a good link though that may give you some ideas:

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-242-0-0-0,00.html

• Advertisement

Cheers Ecoli you just answered the two things that I was thinking about for the last week. I always seem to start a race at the very back and end up sprinting to pace people out.

Second one is the diet I need to lose a good few pound. Finding it very tough to lose the few pound with just running might start swimming as well.

Advertisement