Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on snow/ice this year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

It's fun for about a day,then it gets annoying.Fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

I've a 4x4, snow can't keep me off the road :D

This year I will make a snow man, every time it snows I say I'll make one but then i go outside and I forget snow is not as soft and fluffy as it is on tv. It's cold and wet.
    Then I go inside and am warm again.

don't be too cocky about it though,
    lad in a pajaro or land cruiser i think it was, last year beeping and flashing because we where driving slow between two lanes last year (instead of directly on the cleared icy patch of each lane) decided to drop a gear and put the boot down to fly past us, got 100yards before fishtailing and ploughing it into the concrete barriers. i never laughed so hard as we continued plodding along past him nice and safely.
    Down the Dublin Mountains, sounds dangerous...
    I like it.

a few of the lads went up with a wake boarding rope and a subaru forester and had great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Believe me I feel guilty laughing...

Schadenfreude is the word i believe...

(its the almost arrogant jauntiness of his walk as he no doubt realises he's being filmed by rte news)...

Sorry I'll stop now.

:o

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Alan b. wrote: »
    don't be too cocky about it though,
    lad in a pajaro or land cruiser i think it was, last year beeping and flashing because we where driving slow between two lanes last year (instead of directly on the cleared icy patch of each lane) decided to drop a gear and put the boot down to fly past us, got 100yards before fishtailing and ploughing it into the concrete barriers. i never laughed so hard as we continued plodding along past him nice and safely.
    Thanks for posting this, you've made my day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

I'd say we could have snow by the end of november! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The the snow will not be as bad this year. It mightn't even snow at all in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm living in the Czech Republic and this will be my first winter here. I've been repeatedly assured that the snow gets up to about 1m and the temperature regularly drops to about -20.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

There won't be any snow. I bought a 4x4 two weeks ago. Definitely won't snow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Fbjm wrote: »
    Are you looking forward to the snow this year AH? Or are you dreading it?

Personally I used to love it, but last year kind of ruined it for me. I live on a hill, and struggling to school every day trying not to fall was not fun. :( I'd imagine getting to college this year is going to be a lot worse; I hear maynooth completely freezes over in winter! :pac:

So what say you AH? Will you love or hate the snow this year?

I dont get snow where i live!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I just got some ice grips in the post, so it won't snow this year.

• Advertisement

I love love love the snow. Love it.

Now it might be a bit if a disaster this year since my car is brooked so the only car I have is a RWD but feck it sure it'll be an adventure!

The worst day of the snow last year it took me two hours to get half a mile up the road but it was made good by my husband getting off the dart near me, getting me supermacs and coming and sitting with me in the car the rest of the way! Every cloud and all that! Oh twas funny seeing the angry folk in other cars give me the evils as I bit into my burger :pac:

Did I mention I love it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

It can feck right off. Fooking ridiculous trying to get anywhere, and the prettiness/fun compleltely wears off after a few days. I'd love to go off to Spain or Italy for a month just to avoid it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

A few weeks back when the floods were being discussed I said this:
    Bought a house this year. It's on a big hill near the top. Yay!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75117861&postcount=506

When the snow comes...... I won't be so smug. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

psychward wrote: »
    It's not the weather. It's how our state copes with it which is the problem.

I've travelled widely and seen how countries like Croatia and Finland cope with ice and snow. It's a big difference. Croatia is very mountainous and during winter all those dangerous looking small mountain roads and channels from Zagreb in the North to the coast in the south were totally cleared out and gritted. Same thing in Finland. Nobody was slipping and breaking a hip in Helsinki.

Yup, and you know the difference between those countries and us? They are guaranteed bitterly cold, snowy weather every year. Us? Two years does not a pattern make so there's bugger all we can do to predict anything long-term at the moment. We are still a temperate climate. But, you say, bring in those measures like the colder countries do anyway! Well no, because the only reason these countries bring in these measures is because they are guaranteed to have some benefit, whereas if the cold wasn't a sure thing some of the measures can be pretty damaging. Winter tyres, for example, do a hell of a lot of damage to un-icy, un-snowy roads. And I guess the money just isn't there to have enough plows and manpower on standby for something that going on past form will not become a yearly event. Maybe it will, time will then, and then maybe plans can be made. But for now, comparing a country with a temperate climate to those with a subarctic or continental one is disingenuous to say the least.

Also, why is everyone talking like there will definitely be another cold snap like the last two winters?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Ah Xmas was brilliant last year.

And all those kids that got bikes hahaha take that you little feckers!

Won't see a flake this year mark my words!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kalemm63

Really hoping it snows this year.. Abso love the snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I went to Maynooth. The snow never sticks on campus. It's all the hot air.

Regarding the winter, it will start snowing in mid to late November and stay on the ground until mid February. Mean daytime temperatures will be -25.

We're all going to freeze to death. Or worse.

You obviously missed it last year when most in the apartments were stuck there >_>

However, I can't wait for the snow this year. Lots of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

I hope we dont see a flake. I've deals done to clear any snow from about 100 acres of tarmac and roads- machines and drivers lined up and ready, de-icing salt by the 100 tonne, tractors, snow ploughs, loaders and snow blowers, but all in all, I hope we don't turn a wheel this winter. If it snows, we will be responcible for a shed load of people getting to work, and a shed load of big stores remaining open for business(unlike last year). I can live with no snow. If it snows and freezes hard, there goes my Christmas, and the pressure will be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

But, you say, bring in those measures like the colder countries do anyway!

hey ..... when did I propose a solution cost effective or otherwise ? You basically set me up as a straw man to knock down lol . I was merely responding to the other guys post in the part you quoted.

However if I was to propose a solution: The least we could do is stockpile 2 months worth of salt and grit at bargain basement prices instead of ordering it at the last minute and not only paying over the odds for it but having to wait for it because it becomes in high demand during the winter season. It's not like the government doesnt' have the land. Apparently the useless civil service has been paying millions of our money yearly to FF cronies to store never used electronic voting machines. Plus insurance for the things we would dearly love to be stolen or destroyed. Not a lot can go wrong with salt and grit. No fire risk. Nobodys going to steal it etc as it's too bulky compared to it's value. No overheads etc. And it will be used. If not this year then in the next etc unlike those damned electronic voting machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I drove skyline to work last year and misses mx5. I had no problem as the bastard is heavy as ****. Mazda in the other hand is light and gets stuck on smallest patch of ice or snow :(

This year I drive mx5 so I am not looking forward to snow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

I love love love the snow. Love it.

Now it might be a bit if a disaster this year since my car is brooked so the only car I have is a RWD but feck it sure it'll be an adventure!

The worst day of the snow last year it took me two hours to get half a mile up the road but it was made good by my husband getting off the dart near me, getting me supermacs and coming and sitting with me in the car the rest of the way! Every cloud and all that! Oh twas funny seeing the angry folk in other cars give me the evils as I bit into my burger :pac:

Did I mention I love it?

not as bad as you think, i was driving a nissan silvia with a 2.5 litre skyline engine in it with a locked rear diff, and it was grand.
    you wont have that hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

hey ..... when did I propose a solution cost effective or otherwise ? You basically set me up as a straw man to knock down lol . I was merely responding to the other guys post in the part you quoted.

You said it was how we cope with it, not the weather and then gave examples using countries with vastly different climates to us. They can prioritise money for the severe winter weather because they know that it will happen. There are drawbacks to some of the measures they take, but the benefits outweigh those. Not so for us. After all, we only had a month of severe weather last year as opposed to their months on end every year without fail. How to you justify spending vast amounts of money here on same when the weather is far from guaranteed and there are other things which are a much greater priority? If it becomes a pattern, then yes, we might be able to justify it. But climatology is a long-term science unfortunately.
    However if I was to propose a solution: The least we could do is stockpile 2 months worth of salt and grit at bargain basement prices instead of ordering it at the last minute and not only paying over the odds for it but having to wait for it because it becomes in high demand during the winter season. It's not like the government doesnt' have the land. Apparently the useless civil service has been paying millions of our money yearly to FF cronies to store never used electronic voting machines. Plus insurance for the things we would dearly love to be stolen or destroyed. Not a lot can go wrong with salt and grit. No fire risk. Nobodys going to steal it etc as it's too bulky compared to it's value. No overheads etc. And it will be used. If not this year then in the next etc unlike those damned electronic voting machines.

Well, salt depots have been constructed in certain parts of the country already so something is being done. It's not feasible to clear all the country roads though, the money just isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"I love snow and danger - therefore everyone else should feel the same way as I".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

I love thick snow - I just don't like the aftermath ( the thaw) where I work bringing people in with breaks is not fun

Alan b. wrote: »
    [
    not as bad as you think, i was driving a nissan silvia with a 2.5 litre skyline engine in it with a locked rear diff, and it was grand.
    you wont have that hassle.

Ah but mine's an automatic E200! Traction is crap at the best of times :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I love snow when it first falls and looks all clean and white. I hate when everyone walks and drives over and it turns to slippery ice. I hate the half arsed job the council do of cleaning it up too. They scoop it up from the road in a digger and leave a four foot high mound of dirty snow at the side of the road, making it impossible to walk across the road. But as long as the roads as clear it doesn't matter about pedestrians I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

asif2011 wrote: »
    Ah Xmas was brilliant last year.

And all those kids that got bikes hahaha take that you little feckers!

Won't see a flake this year mark my words!

How are you so sure?? Love the snow I do, would be disappointed if we didn't get the same deluge as last year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I thought forecast that long-range wasn't even possible - how are people so confident that there won't be snow... or that there will? The fact that there are people convinced of such opposing outcomes indicates in itself that there's no reliable way of knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I have heard of some man/farmer up in Donegal who can tell the weather well in advance say a few months or so, he says he keeps an eye on the animals and their habits or something like that...

Or maybe he doesn't even exist....

I just don't know really????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

whats his predictions for this year?

Advertisement