Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on snow/ice this year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Dudess wrote: »
    Delighted for them but it's still absolute bollocks to call it a bit of snow.

all perspective, irish people think thats a lot of snow because we dont know any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So grid lock on a sunny day must be caused by people that are unable to drive in good weather, but try anyway.

Your 'logic' has defeated me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

all perspective, irish people think thats a lot of snow because we dont know any better

Is that not the whole point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Your 'logic' has defeated me.

Your saying gridlock in the snow is caused by people that cant drive in snow (obviously your not one of them), but try anyway. I say its caused by the same (or close to it anyway) high volume of traffic, but now in treacherous conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

salt melts snow/ice
    grit provides traction.

hondasam wrote: »
    Hey you talking to me? I'm not bothering with winter tyres.
    you should keep space between the cars in front of you on a fine sunny day as well and you should always concentrate when driving.

why wouldnt you get winter tyres if you had a lot of driving in snow/ice conditions to do? as for car space, obviously you cant be bumper to bumper on a nice day but there should be a difference in how much space you leave on a nice day and a snow day, concentration is obviously a must if your behind a big lump of metal but again you should be concentrating more than normal on a snow day

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Is that not the whole point?

yeah but just because we dont know any better doesnt make it true

ya dont need snow tyres,
    but they do help, and are a good investmant if this weather is to come back every winter for a few years on the trot.
    grab a set of steel wheels and put snow tyres on them and tuck the alloys away for winter.
    then swap over during the summer (or use them all year round as they are fantastic in wet/rain conditions we get here too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

why wouldnt you get winter tyres if you had a lot of driving in snow/ice conditions to do? as for car space, obviously you cant be bumper to bumper on a nice day but there should be a difference in how much space you leave on a nice day and a snow day, concentration is obviously a must if your behind a big lump of metal but again you should be concentrating more than normal on a snow day

Don't see the point, I have no problem driving in the snow but no matter how careful I am it will not stop someone else running into me.
    tbh you should be concentrating the same snow or sun and same for distance.

• Advertisement

Alan b. wrote: »
    ya dont need snow tyres,
    but they do help, and are a good investmant if this weather is to come back every winter for a few years on the trot.
    grab a set of steel wheels and put snow tyres on them and tuck the alloys away for winter.
    then swap over during the summer (or use them all year round as they are fantastic in wet/rain conditions we get here too)

if i was doing 100k a day to work id buy them, weather is unpredictable so i might need them at some point.

Don't see the point, I have no problem driving in the snow but no matter how careful I am it will not stop someone else running into me.
    tbh you should be concentrating the same snow or sun and same for distance.

if i concentrated as much as i do when im driving in snow id loose the plot and start walking :D

i know of people that have had the same set for the last few years as they only fit them come the end of november when it snows and take em off as soon as it clears.

if it was up to me i'd be going mil-spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

if i concentrated as much as i do when im driving in snow id loose the plot and start walking :D

It can be nerve wrecking which is why I can't understand why ye are insisting it was just a little flurry of snow. It lasted for six weeks.
    Of course your county might not have had it as bad, Connaught had it bad.

It can be nerve wrecking which is why I can't understand why ye are insisting it was just a little flurry of snow. It lasted for six weeks.
    Of course your county might not have had it as bad, Connaught had it bad.

nah kerry had it pretty bad tbh, nearly all our roads where unusable, the reason im saying it wasnt much snow is because it wasnt, it was just the lack of maintenance on the roads which made them so bad, down here anyway it did, gritting pretty much didnt happen until the end, its far too fcuking late to be debating whats snow and whats not :D feck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

recyclebin wrote: »
    What if there is no snow?? Where will i get my white powder fix from??
    Gerry Ryan's old RTE locker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Fbjm wrote: »
    Are you looking forward to the snow this year AH? Or are you dreading it?

Personally I used to love it, but last year kind of ruined it for me. I live on a hill, and struggling to school every day trying not to fall was not fun. :( I'd imagine getting to college this year is going to be a lot worse; I hear maynooth completely freezes over in winter! :pac:

So what say you AH? Will you love or hate the snow this year?

What ever you do don't eat the yellow snow

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

recyclebin wrote: »
    What if there is no snow?? Where will i get my white powder fix from??

Eamonn Dunphy?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dudess wrote: »
    Delighted for them but it's still absolute bollocks to call it a bit of snow.

There were some parts of the country where people were wading through snow up to their waists. Doesn't matter that it's worse in other countries - it was still severe. Obtuse to say it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only reason any Irish people hate the snow is because we're really crap at preparing for anything.

Hopefully most of us have learned our lesson from last year and there won't be any fighting through the snow to try and find the last shovel in Woodies or the last bag of dishwasher salt in Tesco.

Any weather conditions are fine if you've had the cop on to prepare in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

seamus wrote: »
    The only reason any Irish people hate the snow is because we're really crap at preparing for anything.

..and that goes for the county councils aswell. Maybe they will invest in a few more snow ploughs / salting trucks this year :rolleyes:

I personally hope Ireland doesnt get as much snow as last year. My parents are out in the sticks and they had no heating and no running water all over Christmas - had to open up an old well which thankfully wasn't frozen. Having to flush the toilet using a bucket of water was not ideal...and when the water came back there were burst pipes all over the place, most of course located in awkward places behind the walls :mad:

Hopefully most of us have learned our lesson from last year and there won't be any fighting through the snow to try and find the last shovel in Woodies or the last bag of dishwasher salt in Tesco.

Not true. "Any"? Like Siberia? Yeah, "fine" I'm sure...

Also, bit much to be speaking for any Irish people, Seamus. I hate severe snow for reasons more than not being prepared.
    Also, a good bit of notice is required to be sufficiently prepared. It was unexpected here, despite some geniuses claiming we should be on a par with the Alaskans. It's not difficult to grasp the above, but shur what the heck - any excuse for a bit of auld "We Irish are useless" rubbish, including blatant lying that it was "a bit of" snow. Some people need to brush up on their maths. :)

..and that goes for the county councils aswell. Maybe they will invest in a few more snow ploughs / salting trucks this year :rolleyes:

I personally hope Ireland doesnt get as much snow as last year. My parents are out in the sticks and they had no heating and no running water all over Christmas - had to open up an old well which thankfully wasn't frozen. Having to flush the toilet using a bucket of water was not ideal...and when the water came back there were burst pipes all over the place, most of course located in awkward places behind the walls :mad:
    Ah now, don't be blaming the primary factor - the snow. It was your parents' fault for not being prepared. ;)
    Shur that kind of snow is great fun - and it's only a light dusting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We had a heavy snowfall 10 months previous - heavy enough to cause chaos. So we really had no excuse for not being prepared or claiming that it was "unexpected". Snowfall was expected. When snowfall is expected you should be prepared to have to dig yourself out, make your way to work in the snow, or if you're a good distance out you should be prepared to be snowed in.

As I said last year, we had about ten years where there was very light snowfall, if even, during winter. That was the freak occurence, not the norm. The kind of snowfall we saw last year is not unknown in Ireland, it's what should be expected. When I was a kid it snowed every winter. At least heavily enough to make it impossible to go to school.

When I was a kid the snow was nowhere near as severe as the last two years, bar winter 81/82 and January 87, thus making severe snow here unexpected. Now if it was Finland, yeah, folks should be prepared, but blaming so much of the difficulties on people themselves rather than the conditions is a good example of the blaming fetish some folks seem to have.
    Looking forward to the gems that will be thrown at people who weren't prepared for the floods in Dublin. And even if they were, it wouldn't have been "grand".

dudess the problem is the only thing we can do when it comes to weather is prepare, its not like we can turn around and kill the weather or anything :D, we have had heavy snowfall (in irish terms anyway) for the last two years, we should be prepared for this year, as for the dublin flooding, well that was a freak occurrence, to get that much rain in so little time is near unheard of in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Oh I can't wait! Snow is so pretty and I love snowmen and ear muffs and snow balls and taking walks and playing in the snow :D

GET HER!

dudess the problem is the only thing we can do when it comes to weather is prepare, its not like we can turn around and kill the weather or anything :D, we have had heavy snowfall (in irish terms anyway) for the last two years, we should be prepared for this year, as for the dublin flooding, well that was a freak occurrence, to get that much rain in so little time is near unheard of in this country
    The weather the last two winters was freak too. Definitely agree we need to prepare ourselves this year (although it's still difficult even with prep - totally untrue to say prep makes everything just dandy) but you can't blame people for not being prepared in 09, nor can you blame them for assuming it was a one-off and thus not being prepared in 2010. Last such mad freezing was 81/82 and that was a one-off.

• Advertisement

our problem in this country is that we are so used of mild weather that any bit of hard or extreme weather sends us into chaos, i think every country at our latitude should be somewhat prepared for heavy snow and rain, its no excuse to say it only happens every now and then so we wont bother preparing for it,

if we get a hard winter this year i think it should be a fair indicator that its getting colder and we just need to be ready for snow

Advertisement