Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on snow/ice this year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Alan b. wrote: »
    drove in it every day yeah.
    100miles a day roughly, a mix of city, motorway, and country roads.
    drove a high powered rwd car (with a locked rear diff) for part of it too.
    no big deal. even drove up beyond newry and back collecting it on one of the worst nights on snowfall last year.

got stuck worse on the beach then i did in any of the snow we've had so far.

nobody is forgetting, just not whining about a bit of snow.

also spent time biking in it as it happens.
    mountain bike and motocross bike.

biking is great craic in the snow :D especially when you dont have snow tyres haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It wasn't just a bit of snow, no matter where you compare it to. If it was a light dusting that faded quickly and didn't cause any infrastructural problems, then it would be a bit of snow. It might not have bothered you much but no need to veer into the realm of fallacy.

ive been skiing in many countries around the world, trust me some people would laugh at the "super snow" winter we had, its just the countries lack of preparation that makes things so bad, i really am hoping for a bad winter this year just to see if the government can pull the finger out, they have had plenty of warning since last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

yeah, the snow is great, it changes the scenery very nicely for a change and i had no problem driving in it last year, just drove in high gear all the time and no problems. just watch out for the 16th november it will bucket down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ive been skiing in many countries around the world, trust me some people would laugh at the "super snow" winter we had, its just the countries lack of preparation that makes things so bad, i really am hoping for a bad winter this year just to see if the government can pull the finger out, they have had plenty of warning since last year

I don't think there is anything the government could do to stop what happened.
    It was freezing all the time and impossible to keep roads clear.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=2010%202011%20snow&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWinter_of_2010%25E2%2580%25932011_in_Great_Britain_and_Ireland&ei=KE-zTpjeMM7b8QO5tq2WBQ&usg=AFQjCNGxg32HBX1HDcYsJf98LIaU3zeojQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

zenno wrote: »
    yeah, the snow is great, it changes the scenery very nicely for a change and i had no problem driving in it last year, just drove in high gear all the time and no problems. just watch out for the 16th november it will bucket down.

A thats where i was going wrong last year, i didnt drive around in high gear:pac:

hondasam wrote: »

so how do countries like Andorra survive? what about russia? if we had enough machines for road clearing with enough grit we would be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Can't wait. See aul ones slipping and falling. 1 Karmas a bitch isn't it,that's what they get for running their trollies into my ankles

Its gonna come back on you cause you want to see them slipping and fallin, See #1 ^^ :D:D I didnt say it first.

me on the other hand. Im going to close my curtains and put a poster up of a beach with beautiful sun set and sit by the fire :pac:

so how do countries like Andorra survive? what about russia? if we had enough machines for road clearing with enough grit we would be sorted

we could hardly justify having machines for every county in Ireland, we do not get snow like other countries. It would be a waste of money.
    Would you expect these machines to clear every road or just the main roads?
    All the grit in the world would be no use last year.

Im sure they have their problems, and survived. We also survived. The icy conditions last year were exceptional here, for here. We are not in Russia, or Andora. No problems to the gifted ice drivers and cyclists of course, but the majority had difficulties for weeks because of it.

I remember snow so heavy last year falling on the M3 that visibility was a few meters, and we couldnt see the edges of the road. 100 miles in that would of took about 5 or 6 hours for a mortal driver like myself. Maybe i should of pretended it was russia, and i might of been able to see further, and drive faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

biking is great craic in the snow :D especially when you dont have snow tyres haha

dont bother with snow tyres on me car never mind the bike.
    i'll be using the pit bike to tip about the place when im not in dublin this year.

you dont need to be anywhere near gifted to drive in the snow or ice. just let some air out of your tyres and drive with care, use the hand brake, use the full witdh of the road that you can, drive on fresh snow rather then in the tracks made by the 200 sheep driving infront of you in the one lane etc etc. theres even less other people on the road to get in the way.

we could hardly justify having machines for every county in Ireland, we do not get snow like other countries. It would be a waste of money.
    Would you expect these machines to clear every road or just the main roads?
    All the grit in the world would be no use last year.

:rolleyes: how? of course it would have helped thats what its used for for feck sake, well after the last year or two i think its perfectly justifiable to have a few plough's around in every county, as for gritting use tractors and machinery already available, also wouldnt hurt to start teaching people how to drive in those conditions, as for which roads to to maintain, most important first should be the rule, but that shouldnt mean less important roads are completely about forgotten altogether like last year

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Im sure they have their problems, and survived. We also survived. The icy conditions last year were exceptional here, for here. We are not in Russia, or Andora. No problems to the gifted ice drivers and cyclists of course, but the majority had difficulties for weeks because of it.

I remember snow so heavy last year falling on the M3 that visibility was a few meters, and we couldnt see the edges of the road. 100 miles in that would of took about 5 or 6 hours for a mortal driver like myself. Maybe i should of pretended it was russia, and i might of been able to see further, and drive faster.

that would be a bad idea :D

i'll be using the pit bike to tip about the place when im not in dublin this year.

if it gets really bad this year again i might try and find some tyre chains :D would be brilliant haha probably get arrested for using them though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

just treat it the same as alcohol, if you have to much snow don't drive.

you dont need to be anywhere near gifted to drive in the snow or ice. just let some air out of your tyres and drive with care, use the hand brake, use the full witdh of the road that you can, drive on fresh snow rather then in the tracks made by the 200 sheep driving infront of you in the one lane etc etc. theres even less other people on the road to get in the way.

Well i use the word gifted in irony, but anyway...

:rolleyes: how? of course it would have helped thats what its used for for feck sake, well after the last year or two i think its perfectly justifiable to have a few plough's around in every county, as for gritting use tractors and machinery already available, also wouldnt hurt to start teaching people how to drive in those conditions, as for which roads to to maintain, most important first should be the rule, but that shouldnt mean less important roads are completely about forgotten altogether like last year

If temperatures drop too low grit does not work.
    For people living in the country who are ten miles from the nearest town, what do they do?
    Clearing the main road is great but who will be able to get access to them.
    It's not about people's driving,it's about the driving conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

there wont be any snow and ice this year

if it gets really bad this year again i might try and find some tyre chains :D would be brilliant haha probably get arrested for using them though :(

to be fair, the chances of getting stopped in conditions that would be bad enough for you to want to use them are small.

but i wouldnt use them for the simple fack they make ****e of your wheels.

i couldnt be arsed stopping every few 100 yards to take em off and put em on.
    there wont be any snow and ice this year

snow cover has extended further south sooner this year then last.

dont drive if you dont have to then, and if you do have to drive it might be worth investing is some snow tyres just to be safe,

of course peoples driving effects whether they will stay on the road or not, you cant drive like its a nice mild day out, you have to drive differently in snow than you normally would, low revs, lightly use the controls, keep space between cars in front of you, and concentration helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ive been skiing in many countries around the world, trust me some people would laugh at the "super snow" winter we had
    Delighted for them but it's still absolute bollocks to call it a bit of snow.

to be fair, the chances of getting stopped in conditions that would be bad enough for you to want to use them are small.

but i wouldnt use them for the simple fack they make ****e of your wheels.

i couldnt be arsed stopping every few 100 yards to take em off and put em on.

it would be handy to have them if you lived up a big hill in the middle of nowhere though :D studded tyres would be the job

of course peoples driving effects whether they will stay on the road or not, you cant drive like its a nice mild day out, you have to drive differently in snow than you normally would, low revs, lightly use the controls, keep space between cars in front of you, and concentration helps

What will i do if i come to a bend in the road? Turn the steering wheel i suppose? :D

it would be handy to have them if you lived up a big hill in the middle of nowhere though :D studded tyres would be the job

park at the bottom and walk up it lol.

Dudess wrote: »
    Delighted for them but it's still absolute bollocks to call it a bit of snow.

:D:D:D:D:D

I am in bits laughing at that Dudess.

we will save this thread for December when the weather is horrendous again and see if these jokers have any problems:p

dont drive if you dont have to then, and if you do have to drive it might be worth investing is some snow tyres just to be safe,

Hey you talking to me? I'm not bothering with winter tyres.
    you should keep space between the cars in front of you on a fine sunny day as well and you should always concentrate when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If temperatures drop too low grit does not work.
    For people living in the country who are ten miles from the nearest town, what do they do?
    Clearing the main road is great but who will be able to get access to them.
    It's not about people's driving,it's about the driving conditions.

Whether grit 'works' or not has got nothing to do with temperature - I presume you're thinking of salt, the effectiveness of which is temperature dependent. Grit is an abrasive substance that provides more friction between tyre and road.

Most of the problems in the cities last year were caused by people who are unable to drive in snow conditions trying to anyway and causing gridlock.

Whether grit 'works' or not has got nothing to do with temperature - I presume you're thinking of salt, the effectiveness of which is temperature dependent. Grit is an abrasive substance that provides more friction between tyre and road.

Most of the problems in the cities last year were caused by people who are unable to drive in snow conditions trying to anyway and causing gridlock.

Is grit not made from salt?

So grid lock on a sunny day must be caused by people that are unable to drive in good weather, but try anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Is grit not made from salt?

No.

Advertisement