Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I thought Neymar was 15euro, looks a top bull

Kinda mad now, as I found out today that both bulls (Neymar and Elite LACETTE) are both carriers of the myostatin Q gene. Surely companies should be bound to disclose this. ICBF don't list it either.

I found it by chance on the UK limousin website.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Kinda mad now, as I found out today that both bulls (Neymar and Elite LACETTE) are both carriers of the myostatin Q gene. Surely companies should be bound to disclose this. ICBF don't list it either.

Think of all the great calves youll have, keep em away from blue cows, be the finest

Think of all the great calves youll have, keep em away from blue cows, be the finest

I wanted them for pedigree use. I'd prefer to keep the Q and nt myostatin away. I think there will be problems down the line with it.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

In fairness to Progressive Genetics they publish which myostatin genes are present or not in their stud bull catalogue, they did in the 2019 catalogue but I don't know if they are shown in their 2020 catalogue.

Considering how important the presence or absence of the various myostatin genes are, I would have presumed that ICBF should include it in the bulls details and all the AI companies show it in their catalogues.
    I'm using Eurogene and they don't show the myostatin status of any of their bulls.

I wanted them for pedigree use. I'd prefer to keep the Q and nt myostatin away. I think there will be problems down the line with it.

With regard to milk and fertility most definitely, majority of bulls from elite are muscle machines, they have their place, have a heifer from tvr, has the squarest backend, will make some cow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    I'm using Eurogene and they don't show the myostatin status of any of their bulls.
    Eurogene have some bulls
    JSS is a good bull for replacements

Eurogene have some bulls
    JSS is a good bull for replacements
    I’m looking through the Eurogene 2019/2020 catalogue and I can’t see the myostatin test/results for any of their bulls.

A pic of JSS from this years Eurogene catalogue and there is not mention of his myostatin status.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I’ve used JSS over the last few years. Easily calved in fairness. I’ve had a mix off calves off him. He didn’t suit one particular AU cow and she had 2 heifers who were both weedy and leggy. Bulls took a while to develop but I’d sell them as winter weanlings so never see how they eventually turn out. Has good stars but never kept a heifer for breeding.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I’ve used JSS over the last few years. Easily calved in fairness. I’ve had a mix off calves off him. He didn’t suit one particular AU cow and she had 2 heifers who were both weedy and leggy. Bulls took a while to develop but I’d sell them as winter weanlings so never see how they eventually turn out. Has good stars but never kept a heifer for breeding.

Have a 2yo first calver off him, fierce milky & back in calf quick

• Advertisement

JSS only scores 4% for locomotion, which would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I can never see that word without thinking of Kylie Minogue.

I do wonder about the ICBF figures at times, and we’re suppose to use them to make breeding decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

I can never see that word without thinking of Kylie Minogue.
    there was nothing wrong with Kylies locomotion:D

I do wonder about the ICBF figures at times, and we’re suppose to use them to make breeding decisions

Have a cow here, back legs thrown out and suckled, calf is extremely stylish, with perfect legs, not just icnf figures that are misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I agree.
    I have experience of docile cow served with A.I bull that has 5 stars for docility and the calf was stone mad.
    Hard to make sense of it.

I agree.
    I have experience of docile cow served with A.I bull that has 5 stars for docility and the calf was stone mad.

One swallow doesnt make a summer

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I agree.

The docility thing I can't understand. Knell is supposed to be one star but my maddest calves are the anguses "5 star" docility! They run through the place where the knell calves are nice and quiet easy handled too.

Personally think the docility stars is a lot of bull. More to do with the cow who's rearing it, how they react to human contact.
    Monkey see, monkey do.

Personally think the docility stars is a lot of bull. More to do with the cow who's rearing it, how they react to human contact.
    Monkey see, monkey do.

Its all relative tho, if one bull is breeding wilder than an other, the figure will represent this

• Advertisement

Its all relative tho, if one bull is breeding wilder than an other, the figure will represent this

There's no scale for rating how loud or rough a farmer is either on ICBF :pac:
    Just my own opinion, it's one set of figures I never look at when picking a bull.

There's no scale for rating how loud or rough a farmer is either on ICBF :pac:
    Just my own opinion, it's one set of figures I never look at when picking a bull.

Well its consistent in that herd, if all the limousin calfs are climbing walls and the charolais are quiet with the same treatment?

Well its consistent in that herd, if all the limousin calfs are climbing walls and the charolais are quiet with the same treatment?

I would still look to the cows. If you have a crackers cow, most of the time she's going to have a wild calf, regardless of what bull you use.
    We all know limousin tend to be flightier, as are Salers, I'm not disputing that. But expecting a quiet calf off a certain bull when the cow won't let you within 30ft of her is wishful thinking.

The info that ICBF have on docility is coming from farmers anyway, so they'll see the trends over large numbers.

The info that ICBF have on docility is coming from farmers anyway, so they'll the trends over large numbers.

True, it's much easier to blame a bull than yourself though :P
    In my experience here the cow is a massive influence, along with the first few days of life etc. Have five calves off our own lad this year, all quiet, bar one off a salers cow which we couldn't get near after calving. So the calf was over a week before it even got touched by me, compared to a few others which I could walk into & scratch the following day after birth.
    Anyway I'll shut up! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

True, it's much easier to blame a bull than yourself though :P
    In my experience here the cow is a massive influence, along with the first few days of life etc. Have five calves off our own lad this year, all quiet, bar one off a salers cow which we couldn't get near after calving. So the calf was over a week before it even got touched by me, compared to a few others which I could walk into & scratch the following day after birth.
    Anyway I'll shut up! :o
    true i find the calves born indoors over the winter are much quieter, they are used to you from the word go, the autumn calvers that are born outside are nutters, scary at a month old when it comes to dehorning! but again once they go in for the winter and get used to being fed meal etc they usually quieten down, the odd one will stay a nutter though

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Monkey see, monkey do.

Agreed

What ye are saying about handling and human contact is all true. We'd all agree on that. The docility values on ICBF are only concerned with the effect of genetics on behaviour.
    From what I've seen here with cattle, I think they are worth looking at. Try breeding with 2 generations of poor docility scored bulls and see what you end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What ye are saying about handling and human contact us all true. We'd all agree on that. The docility values on ICBF are only concerned with the effect of genetics on behaviour.
    From what I've seen here with cattle, I think they are worth looking at. Try breeding with 2 generations of poor docility scored bulls and see what you end up with.

I agree. A well handled animal that’s fairly biddable can breed lunatics we had an oul cow that wouldn’t walk out of your way and every calf she had was insane, requiring all sorts of stealth tactics to get them into a yard. Then today we were just looking at a cow with her calf and comparing to last years. Better calf and very quiet and gentle. Same cow, same bull, same treatment from us. It’s similar with people. Often you’d know a family for being very wicked or stupid or wild. Sometimes there’s a mixture in the one house or one stark exception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I would still look to the cows. If you have a crackers cow, most of the time she's going to have a wild calf, regardless of what bull you use.
    We all know limousin tend to be flightier, as are Salers, I'm not disputing that. But expecting a quiet calf off a certain bull when the cow won't let you within 30ft of her is wishful thinking.

The point I was making was it is hard to square where 5 stars Docility is shown on ICBF site for a particular Bull and when his straws are used on a very quiet cow but her calf is half mad.
    It would suggest that, (at least some of), the Docility figures are questionable.

Advertisement