Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Does anyone have calves out of this bull or have any information about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

You mentioned this before, am I wrong in thinking that when we register all calves we include either AI code or Bull code, both of which are fully traceable.
    Essentially the tag number is known?

Unfortunately not happening in majority of farms though. Agree I do include this on all my calves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Bellview wrote: »
    Unfortunately not happening in majority of farms though. Agree I do include this on all my calves

We would always include sire details. On my innocence I thought everyone did.

There's an easy way to promote it. Withholding the cards until all info is submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

We would always include sire details. On my innocence I thought everyone did.

There's an easy way to promote it. Withholding the cards until all info is submitted.

That can be a case for majority, but what about the exceptions (Randy weanling bull/bullock)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »
    Anyone notice cows taking a lot longer gestation this year ?

Have a heifer 294 days taken to ADX , one went 299 days to a blonde others 293 + .. All longer than previous years across all breeds

She calved big Red ADX red bull 298days .. I jacked him as didn't seem to be able to put him out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Bodacious wrote: »
    She calved big Red ADX red bull 298days .. I jacked him as didn't seem to be able to put him out

Same here. Everything seems to be carrying allot of time. Cow calved tonight that had 3weeks carried tomorrow. And she had to be injected yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Same here. Everything seems to be carrying allot of time. Cow calved tonight that had 3weeks carried tomorrow. And she had to be injected yesterday.

I've BBx lim heifers throwing good Ai lim bull calves @280 and 281 days and others taking 299 to lim and blondes

That been said I've a super blonde heifer calf and was worth waiting for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Second Calving CH carried 300 days to FFK, nice calf tho.
    Had cows go 300 days from calving to calving before

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dairyman81

Had another Goliath - KSG crossbred calf over the weekend, really happy with him

Dairyman81 wrote: »
    Had another Goliath - KSG crossbred calf over the weekend, really happy with him

Any chance of a few pics of these calves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

I have 3 yearling heifirs off KSG and they could not be more different, ranging from top quality to poor, I will keep the 2 best and fatten the 3rd one I think.
    while I do agree he throws good calves they are not all top class. A lot of it has to do with the cow he is crossed with.
    I have a few bulls off WMO And they are great calves and a lot more consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

WMO is a breed improvement bull so not available commercially...best Hereford of the last 2/3 years though going by top ped sales/shows....think his semen is gone now anyway...there seems to be some decent KSG cattle around alrite...some say he has calving issues in dairy but it prob depends on what you cross him on...he'd prob be fine on cows...GSQ is another who overall has done quite well in ped and commercially..seems to have good calving figures...

There are two new young bulls in Dovea that are coming available now that should be pretty useful... KZP looks to be a more traditional bull that shud be ok for cows/heifers...GGM could breed a bit bigger- Aus bulls in his breeding...they both look like two good options that'd be worth a try imo...don't seem to be on dovea website yet but think they are available now..

The cow and management really has so much to do with it tho...you regularly get lads giving out about poor calves but rarely look at their own cow critically or ask themselves was the bull the right cross for the cow in the first place...or complaining about calving when theyre crossed with handy,overfed dairy heifers...at the same time sometimes you'l just get a disappointing calf thats hard to explain...thats just the joys?/inconsistencies of breeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pedigree Breeder

The type of dam is critical to the success of any calf.

Dovea has purchased two new Hereford bulls - one solely for ease of calving and the other more for pedigree breeding so we'll see how they go

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Dovea has purchased two new Hereford bulls - one solely for ease of calving and the other more for pedigree breeding so we'll see how they go

Do you know that other AI companies actually have Hereford Bulls too?

Progressive Genetics (MunsterAI), Eurogene, ABS & Sligo AI...

Powerful Genetics (don't think Phillip has any Herefords yet!)

Do you know that other AI companies actually have Hereford Bulls too?

Progressive Genetics (MunsterAI), Eurogene, ABS & Sligo AI...

Powerful Genetics (don't think Phillip has any Herefords yet!)

The other AI companies mainly seem to be going down the Polled route when it comes to Herefords e.g. Gouldingpoll 1 Superduty, Solpoll 1 Ferrari, Dorepoll 1 Nationawide, Dorepoll 1 Transatlantic etc. I'm sticking with Horned genetics mainly for use of calving compared to Polled so Dovea is the best choice for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Are you not leaving yourself behind the curve by not going polled?
    If you go to the shows in the UK they are nearly all polled now.

Seems to be the future to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Are you not leaving yourself behind the curve by not going polled?
    If you go to the shows in the UK they are nearly all polled now.

Seems to be the future to me!

I think every breed should be aiming for polled if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

moy83 wrote: »
    I think every breed should be aiming for polled if possible

while polled would be a great trait in any breed. I am not mad about the confirmation of polled Hereford s and i think they are slower to mature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

solorpower wrote: »
    while polled would be a great trait in any breed. I am not mad about the confirmation of polled Hereford s and i think they are slower to mature

Thats something I wouldnt have known about or noticed . But sure its something for the breeds to improve on I suppose .

• Advertisement

I don't know much about the UK but in Ireland the vast majority of show and sale champions are definitely from horned herds and horned genetics. I've being breeding Horned Herefords for almost 10 years now and am very happy with them in comparison to the Polled Herefords I have been seeing at various shows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I was talking to my old boss today, he's in his 80s and youst to be one of the top CH breeders around. Any way we got talking about old bulls long dead and gone sum he still has straws for.
    So what in your opinion is/was the best bull in beef or dairy. I was having a look threw a few of his old catalogs and they wer good reading.

I'd imagine CF52 and Rocky are two of the most popular beef bulls of all time.
    Of bulls I've used from a breeding point of view, I'd like to have some Epson and Highlander straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

For me personally EDJ and FL22. They might not have been perfect but they left damn fine cattle for easy calving bulls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

For charolais I think it was shamrock ambassador, just my 2 cents. I think you are maybe opening a big can of worms here, everybody will probably have a different idea.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Lots of people would say that CF52 was way overused and that cows from the strain carried little milk forward to rear calves.. Would this not rule him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I was lookling at a charolais pedigree sales report recently. A lot of the top price bulls had either CF52 or PTE (Pirate) in their breeding. Hard to beat the tried and trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

blue5000 wrote: »
    For charolais I think it was shamrock ambassador, just my 2 cents. I think you are maybe opening a big can of worms here, everybody will probably have a different idea.

Ya true, but if say I breed Simmentals I'm not going to know much about a dairy bull. Just wondering people's opinions. He youst to go to France allot back in the day and buy cattle but he has sum straws in his flask nearly 20 years from top french bulls I must get the names of them they haven't much English in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

From a suckler view point - the Belgian Blue bull - EPI.
    I'd say we had 20 calves out of him and 15 were U3 in the factory.
    Started out small and were therefore easy calving but made serious cattle. Just talking about him brings a tear to Dads eye and a smile to his face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

I know a few people who would say Hermes was a better bull than cf52

Advertisement