Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I'm giving up commenting on games I have money on!

yeah man, you're jinxed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ongarite

Choke choke choker..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Seriously how many penalties have stade given away, wilkinson having a mare with th boot to leave it still 29 all

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just give the ball to George Smith!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ongarite

World cup all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Ah jaysus.

Wilkinson finally get a ball between the posts again with a drop goal with less then a minute left to probably win it

lose the bet but still BOOOMMMM

And toulon win.

Loved the lack of reaction from Wilko after kicking the ball out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Stade's defence is a joke, a prop at outhalf would have won that game for Toulon. Anyone with that many chances is bound to get one over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Flights to London booked, match ticket to be booked in the morn once Ticketmaster get their fingers out of their bum, Bleed Blue!

:D:D

As an aside, the final line-up means another player will join Doug Howlett and Rod Kafer in the exclusive club of people to have won both Super Rugby and Heineken Cup titles; Pedrie Wannenburg (Super titles 2007 & 2009) or Brad Thorn (Super title 2008).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Anyone else get their head wrecked by the Sky commentators?

Their commentary boils down to "Whatever team winning at any given moment is the best team on the pitch".

Teferi wrote: »
    Anyone else get their head wrecked by the Sky commentators?

Their commentary boils down to "Whatever team winning at any given moment is the best team on the pitch".

Watching last year's HEC final was a prime example of this.

Winner Pickers to the extreme!

ERC have announced the short list for player of year award. Leinster take up 2 spots, as do Ulster. Can't find any more info on it, but it was posted up on their Facebook profile.

• Rob Kearney
    • Stephen Ferris
    • Ruan Pienaar
    • Jonathan Sexton
    • Jonny Wilkinson

That's a decent list. The long list was terrible. It's hard to pick one actually. I don't think Ruan has been as good as he was last year, altho the semi was amazing from his point of view. Wilko saved Toulon in their semi fair enough... And ofcourse the two form Irish players are Fez and Kearney...

But, for me it'd have to be Sexton. I think if you watch the guy from the stands you'll see what Leinster are all about, and how impossible it would be for them to reach the final without him. No one reads the game as well as Sexton does in Irish rugby since BOD. His reading of the gain line in attack is nothing short of a sixth sense, and his defensive positioning is second to none. How many times does he make THAT tackle in a game? He's an absolute nightmare to attack against, and always stifles the opposition's chances of completing a decent move.

Also his work rate is phenomenal. I can't think of any player that capitulates the word 'committed' more than Johnny. Body on the line, his work rate, his humble yet completely self-critical attitude, and his all round football attitude makes him my player of the year.

Having said that, I think Kearney will get it. Unless Ulster win, then it has to be Fez, right?

.ak wrote: »
    Having said that, I think Kearney will get it. Unless Ulster win, then it has to be Fez, right?

I think a big showing from Pienaar in the final could seal it for him; his performances in the QF and SF were pretty impressive and if he can do something similar on Saturday and Ulster win it, he'd be in pole position.

Yeah, he's definitely deserving of it. I just think he was better last year.. altho he had more impact on the league than in Europe, so I suppose that's fair enough.

I think a big showing from Pienaar in the final could seal it for him; his performances in the QF and SF were pretty impressive and if he can do something similar on Saturday and Ulster win it, he'd be in pole position.

Ye I'd have to go with Pienaar as well if Ulster win it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

• Rob Kearney
    • Stephen Ferris
    • Ruan Pienaar
    • Jonathan Sexton
    • Jonny Wilkinson

I reckon Ferris would be deserving, but if Sexton does an '11 final style virtuoso he'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Depends who wins on Saturday but I would give it to Kearney. He has done the impossible and improved on what Nacewa gave us at full back last year..

IMO Pienaar is ahead of Ferris because of their respective performances in the semi-final. Both were equally top class in their own ways in the quarter-final.

IMO Pienaar is ahead of Ferris because of their respective performances in the semi-final. Both were equally top class in their own ways in the quarter-final.

Was Ferris that good in the semi? Thought he was lucky not to be carded. He was awesome in the QF mind you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Can see it being Kearney or Sexton depending on who plays better in the final

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Was Ferris that good in the semi? Thought he was lucky not to be carded. He was awesome in the QF mind you..

I'm saying that Pienaar is more deserving than Ferris because Pienaar was awesome in the semi and Ferris was quiet. Tbf Ferris was hobbling after 5 minutes.

I'm saying that Pienaar is more deserving than Ferris because Pienaar was awesome in the semi and Ferris was quiet. Tbf Ferris was hobbling after 5 minutes.

Sorry yes. Apologies. How many games has Ferris played for Ulster in 2012? 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

ERC have announced the short list for player of year award. Leinster take up 2 spots, as do Ulster. Can't find any more info on it, but it was posted up on their Facebook profile.

• Rob Kearney
    • Stephen Ferris
    • Ruan Pienaar
    • Jonathan Sexton
    • Jonny Wilkinson

That's a decent list. The long list was terrible. It's hard to pick one actually. I don't think Ruan has been as good as he was last year, altho the semi was amazing from his point of view. Wilko saved Toulon in their semi fair enough... And ofcourse the two form Irish players are Fez and Kearney...

But, for me it'd have to be Sexton. I think if you watch the guy from the stands you'll see what Leinster are all about, and how impossible it would be for them to reach the final without him. No one reads the game as well as Sexton does in Irish rugby since BOD. His reading of the gain line in attack is nothing short of a sixth sense, and his defensive positioning is second to none. How many times does he make THAT tackle in a game? He's an absolute nightmare to attack against, and always stifles the opposition's chances of completing a decent move.

Also his work rate is phenomenal. I can't think of any player that capitulates the word 'committed' more than Johnny. Body on the line, his work rate, his humble yet completely self-critical attitude, and his all round football attitude makes him my player of the year.

Ironically, it was his reaction after a missed tackle against Cardiff that sticks in my mind the most. We were never going to lose, they were never going to lose.....but he looked so pissed off with himself.

Anyway, it all depends on the final I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Has anyone seen this news yet?

Dublin to become European capital of rugby

Dublin is in line for a major economic boost next year when the Irish capital becomes the epicentre of European club rugby with the staging of both the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup finals in May 2013.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/18226.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Golden Ticket Opportunity
    Supporters who have previously purchased Heineken Cup final tickets in advance of the knockout stages (over the past four seasons via Ticketmaster) and ercrugby.com's ezine subscribers have been given a limited opportunity to get a Dublin 2013 Golden Ticket with great seats to both finals and a One-Day Dublin Pass with free access to over 30 attractions in Ireland's capital city. This closed offer was communicated directly to eligible supporters.

Did anyone get this? Cause I bought my tickets before the knock-out stages last year but heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

JJ wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this news yet?

Dublin to become European capital of rugby

Dublin is in line for a major economic boost next year when the Irish capital becomes the epicentre of European club rugby with the staging of both the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup finals in May 2013.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/18226.php

How do we get these? I bought this years and last year HC ticket before the end of group stages.....

Advertisement