Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapshot of your story - FM 12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Drew Zenit,Galatasaray and Barca(:() in the group. We'll give it a go anyway.I was only hoping to get to the third qualification round.

2013-01-15_00002.jpg

Not the best way to be going into a match against Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

A 26 year old Balotelli? Hmmmm, maybe.
    For only £2m? Shut up and take my money! :pac:

Just finished what was my best season to date. Won the domestic quadruple easily. Won the league by 15 points even though I was putting out second string teams for 3 months while concentrating on the Champions League.

League Table 2016.jpg

As ye know we got some money so the board have decided to upgrade the training facilities and turn professional.

My best player this season has been Kozak. Even though he's been injured for 2 months he still managed to get a good few goals.

Kozak.jpg

Now onto the next season. Hopefully my reputation will increase a bit so I can start to actually buy players instead of scrounging free agents. I seem to have a player from every country in eastern Europe at this stage. I keep getting offered u-21 players from everywhere.

Edit: Still only have the 6th highest reputation in Ireland.Sligo are on top even though their reputation has dramatically fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Went back to the game since I have forgotten why I stopped playing in the first place, started a new save as Waterford United manager, tough enough it has to be said, not helped by me making the board take out a loan so we can own the stadium I guess, did get promotion in my second full season despite a mid season slump, rallied to win my remaining 8 games on the bounce and make the play off, which I also won.

Premier Division, scouring the transfer market for freebies but no money to work with whatsoever, and have made a rocky start to the campaign, in which everyone expects me to be relegated. Without a win from our first 6 games, frustratingly drawing 3 games from winning positions and losing the other 3 comprehensively to some of the better opposition in the league.

Am going to focus mainly on developing the training facilities and trying to build a team through youth recruitment, will take some time but hopefully the board will stick with me due to my beautiful football as long as I can stay up even if its by the skin of my teeth

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Went back to the game since I have forgotten why I stopped playing in the first place, started a new save as Waterford United manager, tough enough it has to be said, not helped by me making the board take out a loan so we can own the stadium I guess, did get promotion in my second full season despite a mid season slump, rallied to win my remaining 8 games on the bounce and make the play off, which I also won.

Premier Division, scouring the transfer market for freebies but no money to work with whatsoever, and have made a rocky start to the campaign, in which everyone expects me to be relegated. Without a win from our first 6 games, frustratingly drawing 3 games from winning positions and losing the other 3 comprehensively to some of the better opposition in the league.

Am going to focus mainly on developing the training facilities and trying to build a team through youth recruitment, will take some time but hopefully the board will stick with me due to my beautiful football as long as I can stay up even if its by the skin of my teeth

What type of youth facilities do Waterford have? If they aren't decent you could be trying to build that team for 15 years.

Chavways wrote: »
    What type of youth facilities do Waterford have? If they aren't decent you could be trying to build that team for 15 years.

Basic

Very basic :) I will not be able to put out a team of youth only players anytime soon, but with a good blend of what I can pick up in the market and producing a home grown player now and then too I will hopefully be able to achieve my goals as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You'll have to compare your Waterford save to mine if you go on!

QPR now unbeaten in 46 league games (70-something overall). Getting close to Arsenal's record so had a look at the fixtures:

47: Norwich [A]
    48: Blackpool [H]
    49: West Ham [H]
    50: Arsen...... Blackburn [A]

Arsenal at the Emirates is 58, would have been awesome if that was number 50 instead :pac:

50 unbeaten :D

Hammered Norwich 4-0 and thought it would be easy. Three draws followed :mad:

• Advertisement

Decided I'm retiring this game at the end of the season and starting from scratch. As such, I'm tempted to use my massive transfer budget in January to buy the league since I wont be worrying about finances etc anymore.

Glad I didnt waste my money on Aguero to bring City down. They have imploded. Only won three of their last 17 (in all competitions), losing the other 14, and the last ten in a row!!! Fair enough, they played United, Chelsea, Arsenal twice and myself in that run, but it also includes Leicester and Norwich who are fighting relegation. They're 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just after experiencing my first takeover in this save. A consortium of swedish businessmen have taken over the club! The Chairman wanted to sack me following the takeover, but will let me keep my job and inform me of his decision shortly.

The man that they want to replace me with is crap!!!

Doing well so far - its april and my first season back in the premiership and currently in 6th. Doing well against the bigger teams, not so much the teams around me/below me - been in a lot of draws, which is better than no points. Dreaded the season as I started badly but its going well now

The chairman has an actual picture! He is former Man City GK andreas isaksson

Long story short for the moment, in my 3rd full season I was promoted to the premier division via the playoffs (my Waterford United save) and struggled the next season to stay up via the play off, slowly made my way up the table culminating in the ultimate goal, the league title and champions league qualification after 4 seasons in the top flight, brilliant! my reward? a pox mission through the qualifiers, and when I made the groups I drew Barcelona, FC Porto and Shalke.....

Did not go well :) but I feel like I won the Champions League simply by qualifying! Lost every game, some by 2 goals others by 5 but the money is a fantastic boost to me and gives me something to build on for the coming seasons, I realistically need to win my 9 remaining league games to win the league again but I feel we can now with no european distraction. Won a couple of domestic cups along the way

Finished the league in 6th (way above the predicted 19th). Got to the league cup semi-finals and knocked out in the 4th round of FA cup.
    My young 22yr old striker won footballer of the year & top goalscorer awards. I won the manager of the year - very proud of that and our finish.

Got to keep the job and the new owners are spending money on improving the training facilities for both senior and youth teams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So my Sheffield United career has been decent so far. Have turned them from a decent league 1 team to into young vibrant side challenging for top 4 in the premiership. Managed to sign some very good young players cheaply and most are now established internationals.

Finished 5th in first season in the premier league and we are on course for top 4 spot this season.
    Recently though the rich teams have been snooping around my best players and their scouts have been spotted at my games.
    Also have turned down large bids from spurs and man city for my best player.

Kinda worried that I might lose my best players as financially I cannot compete .

Slight dilemma though. Man United have been awful in recent seasons and have been destroyed by city on a few occasions. There currently mid table and their manager Kenny daglish (lol) is very insecure in the job. I'd expect that job to become available soon enough.

Do I continue on with Sheffield United or do I apply for the United job and possibly throw away 6 years good work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Do I continue on with Sheffield United or do I apply for the United job and possibly throw away 6 years good work?

Don't apply. But if job offered, go for it...

So my Sheffield United career has been decent so far. Have turned them from a decent league 1 team to into young vibrant side challenging for top 4 in the premiership. Managed to sign some very good young players cheaply and most are now established internationals.

Finished 5th in first season in the premier league and we are on course for top 4 spot this season.
    Recently though the rich teams have been snooping around my best players and their scouts have been spotted at my games.
    Also have turned down large bids from spurs and man city for my best player.

Kinda worried that I might lose my best players as financially I cannot compete .

Slight dilemma though. Man United have been awful in recent seasons and have been destroyed by city on a few occasions. There currently mid table and their manager Kenny daglish (lol) is very insecure in the job. I'd expect that job to become available soon enough.

Stay where you are! Look out for the bargains that have serious talent! After all I must have turned down Real Madrid, Barca & Man City about 20 times at this stage! United never came knocking though, must be because i have rovers set as my favorite team

Can't see myself being offered the United job. Have been pretty successful in my 6 years and I've never been offered any job and my reputation is only national.
    Maybe it's because I'm playing the tablet version of the game.
    Would love to take over United though, sort out the club and I reckon I could have them back challenging for the title.

I'm a world class manager, laughed off by England, Brazil, Portugal and Holland. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Can't see myself being offered the United job. Have been pretty successful in my 6 years and I've never been offered any job and my reputation is only national.
    Maybe it's because I'm playing the tablet version of the game.
    Would love to take over United though, sort out the club and I reckon I could have them back challenging for the title.

I think once you get far in a major competition you will get noticed by the big teams. I got Sligo Rovers to the first knock out round of the Champions league and then Bolton came knocking asking me to get them out of relegation. Once I done that I think United and Barca offered me the job but I ended up going to Brazil...Bad choice!

But I think once you start doing the impossible for clubs u get recognised.

LOI must have dropped rep or something as top spot no longer gets you into the group stages :( (third qualifying round) and 2nd place gets you second qualifying round

dulpit wrote: »

Don't apply. But if job offered, go for it...
    Funnily enough I was offered the Liverpool job but turned it down.
    Unfortunately Kenny managed to turn things around second half of the season, went on a great winning streak and even finished in the top 4. I finished 5th again, missed top 4 on goal difference :(

Time to retire now at the grand old age of 29.

2yvqbdf.jpg

Achievements:
    78 unbeaten in the league (two full unbeaten seasons!)
    131 unbeaten in all competitions
    Premier League: 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17
    Champions League: 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17
    FA Cup: 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17
    League Cup: 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17
    World Club Championship: 2015/16, 2016/17
    Euro Super Cup: 2016/17
    Community Shield: 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17
    Manager of the Year: 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17

Days in charge: 2153
    Played: 372
    Won: 281
    Drew: 47
    Lost: 44
    Scored: 1268
    Conceded: 425
    Goal Difference: +843
    Win Ratio: 75%

Never had such a successful game before. Playing in the lower leagues so much before hand must have been a massive help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Epic Achievements

What team was that all with? Ridiculous dominance!!

What team was that all with? Ridiculous dominance!!

QPR. Massively overachieved in the first season and finished fifth, only two goals kept me out of the Champions League. Next season I finished seventh but got to the semi finals of the Europa League. After that (I.E. once I got some decent money!) it was all one way traffic :D By the end, only Traore was still in the first team but Taarabt was still in the reserves. Everyone else was gone.

I highly recommend: Yann Sommer, Alberto Paloschi, Pitbull and especially Jordan Ayew.

All four played BIG roles, but Pitbull was only for the final two seasons. Had been chasing him for ages. Had a bid of about £1m accepted early in the game but couldnt get him a work permit and didnt have a feeder club so it was cancelled every time. Ended up having to pay £30m for him but he was worth it. Same deal with Xulu, tried getting him early for less than a million but again, work permits screwed me over. Ended up paying £10m for him at the start of my final season and he was a rock in defence. Paloschi got about 200 goals while Ayew got over 300. Almost half my goals!

Some record you have there gnfnrhead

Wasting no time, I decided to start a new game straight away and even add my own challenge rules.

-> Unemployed with a Sunday League reputation.
    -> Win all five continents version of the Champions League.
    -> Win as many other trophies as possible.
    -> England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France are off limits.

Loaded up China, Ukraine, Finland, USA and South Africa to give me a bit of a selection. It'll be changed as I progress. Got five job offers straight away and couldnt say no to the awesomely named Black Aces of South Africa.

Mpumalanga Black Aces
    South Africian First Division

Media Prediction: 2nd
    My Prediction: Ask me again later
    Stadium: 35000
    Training: Basic
    Youth: Basic
    Junior Coaching: Average
    Youth Recuitment: Average

I made the mistake of selecting January as the start date. Most of the leagues had January as their start date so it made sense. I then ended up in a league that doesnt start until fcuking August! Eight months of friendlies coming up! At least I get the time to get the players fluid with the tactics.

With fcuk all money to spend, I was left looking for free agents. The Youth System is crap so is of no use for anything other than emergency backup. In the first week of the transfer window I managed to get four free transfers and a long term loan from the top team Orlando Pirates. Slow enough then with only two more players joining. Another free transfer and me spashing out on a £16,000 player, again from Orlando. From then it was all quiet on the Western front..... until deadline day. Felt like 'Arry Redknapp as I snuck in six more signings, one free and five loans. Spent half the day trying to get the board to stop being stingy kunts and give me an extra £30 a week to sign a player rated at five stars on loan. They refused to budge so I missed out. If thats how stingy they are going to be, they can fcuk off if they think I'm penny pinching. Any money I get I'm spending. Just to annoy me more, they also refused to look for either a parent or feeder club and wont upgrade the youth facilities. Think I might be jumping ship as soon as I get a decent chance.

On the field wasnt much better. Four games played and three of them lost, the other being a shock 3-0 win. The upside is that all four clubs are in the Premier Division whereas I'm not. The downside is I'm nowhere close to being able to compete with them. That was a wake up call that spurred me into action on deadline day. After those four games, all the rest of my friendlies will be against teams in the same division, or non league. Should give me a good indication of where I stand come August.

I miss the money I had at QPR :(

Bought a youngster for €500,000 to develop. He was 16 when I bought him.

484675_10152428630730307_1347172719_n.jpg

He's 18 now, three months off his 19th and has developed at an alarming rate and his value increasing by 1.8million. Villa have been hounding me for him but no way I'm letting him go.

149374_10152428630465307_484877137_n.jpg

Unfortunately he's out for 2 months at the moment due to a double hernia so I hope he doesn't decrease too much.

• Advertisement

Also, it's practically impossible to find a decent level left back.

Advertisement