Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 1/4/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

been thinking this myself and having never ran it i can't say for sure.A former winner of the marathon told me it 8-12mins for him and he is 2.31 in Conn yet 2.19 in Dublin
    So some one int he 4 hour range im guessing you could add on 25-35mins maybe.looking at the splits runners loosing alot of time in the second half.

Have to disagree with that. I would add about 5-10 minutes to your "flat" marathon time, for everyone. I really don't think anyone would have to add 30 minutes - that's as long as it would take to walk the entire hill.

As for a sub-4 finish, a) the pace required is 9:09 per mile and b) the second half will be slower than the first but banking a lot of time in the first half is a recipe for disaster. My advice is to run at whatever pace you think will be maintainable for the entire distance and take whatever time that brings. Connemara is not a marathon where you would aim for a fast time, and most definitely if you're inexperienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Have to disagree with that. I would add about 5-10 minutes to your "flat" marathon time, for everyone. I really don't think anyone would have to add 30 minutes - that's as long as it would take to walk the entire hill.

As for a sub-4 finish, a) the pace required is 9:09 per mile and b) the second half will be slower than the first but banking a lot of time in the first half is a recipe for disaster. My advice is to run at whatever pace you think will be maintainable for the entire distance and take whatever time that brings. Connemara is not a marathon where you would aim for a fast time, and most definitely if you're inexperienced.

would you not think an inexcxperinced marathon runner running 4hour pace will slow more than a 2.30 marathon runner?
    ok 25-35 mins might be extreme.
    so if I think im in 2.40 shape for a flat you think i should aim for 2.45-50 in Conn?what would you expect my first half to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

been thinking this myself and having never ran it i can't say for sure.A former winner of the marathon told me it 8-12mins for him and he is 2.31 in Conn yet 2.19 in Dublin
    I would add about 5-10 minutes to your "flat" marathon time, for everyone.

I made the average pace out to be 9:05min/mile since the total distance run is slightly more than 26.2 miles (not taking a straight line through corners).

I ran the Half Marathon (the second half of the marathon) last year in 1:59 and my splits were mostly 8:45 with the hills just over a minute slower per mile.

It's probably too simplistic for me to plan to do the first half in under two hours and replicate my splits from last year's half for the second half, but I can't think of a better plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I made the average pace out to be 9:05min/mile since the total distance run is slightly more than 26.2 miles (not taking a straight line through corners).

I ran the Half Marathon (the second half of the marathon) last year in 1:59 and my splits were mostly 8:45 with the hills just over a minute slower per mile.

It's probably too simplistic for me to plan to do the first half in under two hours and replicate my splits from last year's half for the second half, but I can't think of a better plan!

I'd probably aim for something like 1:57/2:03 as the splits tbh. There are 3 miles of uphills (2 x 1.5 miles) so maybe take a min per mile slower on them. There are also plenty of downhills on the second half too.

would you not think an inexcxperinced marathon runner running 4hour pace will slow more than a 2.30 marathon runner?
    so if I think im in 2.40 shape for a flat you think i should aim for 2.45-50 in Conn?what would you expect my first half to be?

Sure, an inexperienced 4 hour runner will lose more than a 2:30 marathon man; it's the 25-35 mins you mentioned that I disagree with. I'd still use 5-10 minutes as a rule of thumb for anyone (after all, that could mean 5 mins for the 2:30 and and 10 mins for the 4 hours).

The only time I ran the full marathon there, in 2006 when I just happened to be an inexperienced 4 hour runner, I ran 4:11, 15 minutes slower than my (then) PB but I wasn't feeling well that day (and probably shouldn't have run a marathon).

That's all just opinions and guesswork anyway. Mick Rice told me he only expects to add 2 minutes to his time and he's a 2:45 man (and, more importantly, has run that road more often that anyone else).

• Advertisement

Sure, an inexperienced 4 hour runner will lose more than a 2:30 marathon man; it's the 25-35 mins you mentioned that I disagree with. I'd still use 5-10 minutes as a rule of thumb for anyone (after all, that could mean 5 mins for the 2:30 and and 10 mins for the 4 hours).

The only time I ran the full marathon there, in 2006 when I just happened to be an inexperienced 4 hour runner, I ran 4:11, 15 minutes slower than my (then) PB but I wasn't feeling well that day (and probably shouldn't have run a marathon).

That's all just opinions and guesswork anyway. Mick Rice told me he only expects to add 2 minutes to his time and he's a 2:45 man (and, more importantly, has run that road more often that anyone else).

Mick Rice is a machine !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

To all intents and purposes, what differentiates Conn from (say) Dublin is two biggish hills and a couple of smaller ones (up to the K2 adventure centre, up to the water stop before you drop down into the Maam valley proper). Assuming you run a minute or two per mile slower on these hills (and that's reasonable enough, they're not cliffs), and assuming you're already in the sub-3 "flat" group, and so are pretty fit, I don't see more than five or so minutes extra between a "Dublin" time and a "Conn" time. As others have pointed out, there are also some downhills - I highlight the drop down into Leenane and of course the drop off the last hill.

The hills are a shock to the system if you've only ever run a long race on flattish courses. But they're not 20-30 minutes of a shock...or if they are, you're not likely to be running sub-3 marathons.

That's my take, anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

I've done the course a number of times.I'd say 5mins is fair. No more,in my experience.But dont forget that the major variable over there is the wind,on a bad day it can seem like its trying to blow you backwards.But thats part of the fun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I think it all boils down to how well you prepare for this lads. The better your preperation and training the less you will suffer on the hills and in the later stages. If you prepare badly it stands to reason the effects of the hills are going to be alot worse on you. Cant wait for this race it was the highlight of the year for me last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

grahamor wrote: »
    Half:
    Dow99 - 2:15
    Thirstywork2 (if training goes well will defer to the full)
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino

Full:
    Micilín Muc: 4.30 4.00 - Life is too short for plodding!
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    neilc - 3:30
    HOT TO TROT- finish before cut off .
    Ertred - 3:45
    littlebug- get around...
    diddleyland-just get to the end.....
    Joey.de - Sub 4 and enjoy the Views
    Foxx92 - Finish the damn thing (My first marathon woooo)

Ultra:
    Mick Rice 4:15
    menoscemo: 5:29:59
    TFBubendorfer: 4:59:59
    Izoard
    Liamo123 : Too early to put my balls on the chopping block
    theboyblunder: sticking to liamo like a limpet for as long as possible
    Marthastew: finish with a smile on my face
    Oisin11178: Sub 6
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    EauRouge79: Just aiming to finish this - but sub 6 hrs hopefully
    ultraman1....not to be chicked by aimman
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5
    Claralara sub 6:30
    Digger sub 6:30
    Canine Marathoner: 5:29:59
    Aimman - Sub 6 and more importantly, Sub Ultraman1
    Grahamor - 6.30 (7.08 in 2011)

Looking foward to this. Got in the other day.
    To ask a question thats been covered probaly 999 times before but, how does the half in Connemara compare in difficulty to the half in Achill..??
    People who have ran both.
    Any input appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

I know a few lads who have run this - and other hilly marathons - I think their approach is not to slow down your "fast flat" marathon - but plan separately for the "hilly one". Give it the respect it deserves. My opinion - given the elite time you are aiming for - don't be giving yourself a bracket - pick a time - say 2:45 and devise a race strategy based on this - get that into your head now and start visualising successful execution of it - this will have to factor in a proper coefficient for slowdown on the Hell Hill. Otherwise, if things didnt go well on the day - and it is only my opinion, 2 50 could become 2 55 ....

In Conn you have to factor in - running on your own for a long long period, most likely a head wind, (even too hot of weather is possible), etc on top of a pretty difficult course.

You could do worse than ask the lads who have ran well in Dingle or in Clonakilty over the last few years - both have been compared to Connemara full - and both have dogs of hill in them. Or the simplest way, as TFBubendorfer has said - just ask Mick Rice :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Just seen its now sold out:)

Booked a b&b for the night before the race so its all falling into place. Only negative i have is that the number collection isn't in the city centre.

Anyone know if kids under a certain age have to pay 4 euro on the bus ? Mine are 2 and 11 months.

Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...
    Elvis jones - 2nd marathon so a PB is what i want 9 sub 5 would be great.

Ultra:
    Izoard
    Belcarra: Aim is to finish, but it would be nice to be <6.5hrs...I'd be delighted to make the first page of the results (=6:25)!!
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Anyone recommend Clifden or Galway for a good aul night after..

jester1980 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend Clifden or Galway for a good aul night after..

The buzz in Clifden is always fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. The whole of Clifden gets caught up in with Connemarathon fever. It's a good place to be that night after the race.
    Galway city is always good craic though, any time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

About 6 or 7 of us had a massive session in galway city last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

marchino wrote: »
    grahamor wrote: »
    Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...

Ultra:
    Izoard
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5

booking hotel this week in Galway city.Which is best?

• Advertisement

booking hotel this week in Galway city.Which is best?

Anywhere near the Cathedral.
    You get picked up from there before the race and dropped back to it afterwards. I Booked into the Imperial as it seems to be closest to there. A long walk back after spending an hour on a bus after running the ultra is not fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jury's at the Spanish Arch isn't too far and it'd be close to the pubs for the evening session as well!:)

I booked a B&B yesterday and places seem to be filling up fast espc if your looking for a single room

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canine Marathoner

ULTRAS - just wondering:

i)
    where everyone is at in terms of back-to-back long runs - I've only managed 2 sets (a 22-miler and a 15-miler, and a 20-miler and a 16-miler)...am I behind schedule? how many sets of these are recommended?
    ii)
    is a dose of regular table salt sufficent to put in the drink left at each of the three drop points...really what I am asking is: how does salt strategy work? i have done several standard marathons but have never taken any apart from in salty foods in the days leading-up-to days
    iii)
    what electrolyte tablets are recommended? again is it one of these at each drop point

sorry if these questions appear a bit dumb - it's just that I want to get experimenting now so that the body doesn't riot on the day ...all advice appreciated...wow, only 11 wks now...:eek:

ULTRAS - just wondering:

i)
    where everyone is at in terms of back-to-back long runs - I've only managed 2 sets (a 22-miler and a 15-miler, and a 20-miler and a 16-miler)...am I behind schedule? how many sets of these are recommended?
    ii)
    is a dose of regular table salt sufficent to put in the drink left at each of the three drop points...really what I am asking is: how does salt strategy work? i have done several standard marathons but have never taken any apart from in salty foods in the days leading-up-to days
    iii)
    what electrolyte tablets are recommended? again is it one of these at each drop point

sorry if these questions appear a bit dumb - it's just that I want to get experimenting now so that the body doesn't riot on the day ...all advice appreciated...wow, only 11 wks now...:eek:

1) Back-to-back logn runs are not the only way to get fit for an ultra. But anyway, you're doing very well.

2) and 3) I use s-caps for salts and electrolytes. I carry them in a little zip locked back in my shorts pockets. I take one every hour. This has worked very well for me in the past.

ULTRAS - just wondering:

i)
    ii)
    iii)

You're ahead of me on the long runs. I've only managed a 20 and a 14 so far.

I wouldn't put table salt in a drink, rather an electrolyte tablet. There are loads of different brands (Nuun, High 5 etc), you find them in most cycling/running stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

menoscemo wrote: »
    You're ahead of me on the long runs. I've only managed a 20 and a 14 so far.

I wouldn't put table salt in a drink, rather an electrolyte tablet. There are loads of different brands (Nuun, High 5 etc), you find them in most cycling/running stores.

Crap, need to up my long runs, esp back to back !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Half:
    Corked
    KrustyClown
    Emer911
    RacoonQueen
    Martyoo
    adamski8
    Roddy23 home before dark
    Pansophelia
    marchino
    Nikki2510

Full:
    Alanm
    Jester1980
    Corkrunner71
    Bugsy2000
    Plodder
    Acurno - 3.19
    dx22 Sub 4hrs
    Mithril
    Cabaal
    littlebug- get around...
    Funrunner95 - Sub 4 (for the craic)

Ultra:
    Izoard
    NoGutsNoGlory sub 5

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

I booked a B&B yesterday and places seem to be filling up fast espc if your looking for a single room

just booked Clybaun Hotel on booking.com for 69 euro for 2 nights(4k from cathedral)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bc.co.

Hi,
    I am in the middle off training for the connemarathron ultra.
    Currently I am training 4 days a week
    1. speed work currently at 12 miles at 9 mins per mile will increase over the next 2 months.
    2. mountain bike or swim session
    3. 1.5 – 2.5 hour runs this will increase over the next 2 months running on roads
    4. 2-3 hour runs usually on trails with plenty of hills

I have run 2 marathons best time is just over 4 hours. Running almost years.

Can any one advise me if I am training enough?
    Just not sure as this is my first ultra and I would to be well prepared as it will be a long enough day
    Cheers

Advertisement