Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gavin Saturday

yes, a great show truly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I'm still locked out due to Ulsterbank cc problem... I take it the problem is still being looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Been watching old episodes of my childhood favourite Hey Arnold (99% wittier and intelligent then most of todays televison shows!) and The Wonder Years,brilliant stuff.

Now if only Netflix could get their hands on episodes of Alex Mack,Are You Afraid of The Dark and Boy Meets World!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mystery Team - very funny independent comedy starring and co-written by Community's Donald Glover (Troy Barnes).

Silly but very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I have fallen in love with Firefly thanks to Netflix.. I really don't know why I never got around to watching it till now, this week I've watched the full 14 episodes, then watched serenity on dvd and bought a firefly t-shirt online.. Definitly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Decided to sign up for this after the month trial. Using US DNS made my mind up. Not sure how they could put a stop to this so I'm happy enough to keep it until the European content is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

ip man on the us netflix..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I've looked around but did not find a thread that comments on the netflix customer experience , so here we go...

I signed up for the netflix trial a few weeks back. Last night, I cancelled my subscription.

My experience has been:

THE GOOD
    - cheap
    - works really well. Pic & sound quality very good.
    - I found their phone support service to be friendly & competent
    - Plays for free on Wii! Amazing, Bought the Wiii for the kids a few years back & never gave the internet connectivity any thought, so that was a nice surprise.

THE BAD
    - You have to pay for xbox live if you want to run it on XBox. Not Netflix's fault, but there is something really scammy about this all the same.

- You cannot contact netflix via email, only via phone. I'd rather send an email & get a response in a day or 2 than wade through an IVR menu for 10 mins ...

- From 11pm on, movies can halt/delay/reload. This is more of a UPC issue than a Netflix issue - but it is still a pain sometimes.

AND, THE UGLY

- Very disappointed in the selection of movies available. I ran out of road fast here.

- search function is so bad, you could make a game out of it.
    Example: Search for 'Apocalypse Now' , and in the first page you get
    a list that includes 'Barney:NOW I know my ABC's'. (They both have 'Now' in the title, gettit? ) 'apocalypse now' is not available btw. Maybe in the US but I am not going to pay for a proxy service.

THE FUTURE
    I was really looking fwd to being able to watch movies on demand at home over the internet. I work in a related industry & had known for a long time that this was coming, so I am disappointed now, but would consider paying a sub in the future to netflix or similar. I could torrent stuff if I wanted to but I have no interest in doing so - too time consuming & I also think its wrong.

- FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭angelmum

i was on the unblock us for almost a month now on my wireless connection but saw posts here that its possible to just change the ps3 settings that the router would prefer this as doing online banking on computer). i put back my wireless router back on original settings and followed manual dns settings as suggested here but could not get the us netflix anymore on the ps3. 40d is working but netflix on ps3 went back to irish version. does this only work on wired connection and should i just change my router settings again?
    krudler wrote: »
    you dont even need the playmo or unblock-us method, just go into your internet connection settings on the ps3, manually change the dns primary server to 208.122.23.22 and the secondary to 208.122.23.23, save, bam, done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Currently watching season 1 of the fantastic Arrested Development :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Just watched little monsters got to say worse then i remember and even though its PG i would not advise to let kids watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Do they have seasons 3 and on of Breaking Bad on the US version?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

NinjaK wrote: »
    Do they have seasons 3 and on of Breaking Bad on the US version?

Season 3 is the the most up to date season on the US version. Season 4 of Breaking Bad only aired in the States last year so won't be up for a while I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    is your ps3 wireless connection ??

I've got a wireless set up and got this working easily enough. Here are the steps I took...

1. open MSDos prompt and type "IPCONFIG" then take down your IP address and Default Gateway. You will need these is a sec.

2. Go to PS3 and go to Settings > Network Settings > Internet connection settings > "OK" > Custom > Wireless > Manually > SSID > WPA-PSK (or whatever you are using) > Manual > then type in your IP, and Default Router as before, subnet mask should be there if not is usually 255.255.255.0 and for Primary and Secondary DNS use: 208.122.23.22

Then MTU is Automatic > Proxy Do not use > disable UPnP (maybe yours is enabled) > then save and test.

The only differnce in the network I saw in the test was the download and up load speed were drastically reduced but it doesn't seem to have hampered my streaming.

3. Open netflix. It took a few moments, it opened, closed, opened, asked if I was a member, closed, opened, asked again, then asked me to sign in then voila!

4. Enjoy the glorious content!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

campo wrote: »
    Just watched little monsters got to say worse then i remember and even though its PG i would not advise to let kids watch
    Yep, watched that a few weeks ago. Not aged well AT ALL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Skinfull wrote: »
    I've got a wireless set up and got this working easily enough. Here are the steps I took...

1. open MSDos prompt and type "IPCONFIG" then take down your IP address and Default Gateway. You will need these is a sec.

2. Go to PS3 and go to Settings > Network Settings > Internet connection settings > "OK" > Custom > Wireless > Manually > SSID > WPA-PSK (or whatever you are using) > Manual > then type in your IP, and Default Router as before, subnet mask should be there if not is usually 255.255.255.0 and for Primary and Secondary DNS use: 208.122.23.22

Then MTU is Automatic > Proxy Do not use > disable UPnP (maybe yours is enabled) > then save and test.

The only differnce in the network I saw in the test was the download and up load speed were drastically reduced but it doesn't seem to have hampered my streaming.

3. Open netflix. It took a few moments, it opened, closed, opened, asked if I was a member, closed, opened, asked again, then asked me to sign in then voila!

thanks for the reply.. us netflix is class.. love it.. content is amazing.. once we are allowed to keep using the us content, ill keep netflix, Im just waiting for the likes of sky to try and get netflix to block us content to Ireland.. sky hate competition and netflix with the us content could be competiton to sky, we've already given up sky movies,

With the newly discovered US content I am very happy with netflix but the content is so tough to locate.
    If they would let you search for genre or actor, or even list all content alphabetically! And please please PLEASE give us a queue or a "watch later" marker.

PS3 is a bit better at showing content than xbox, I like the blurb it gives you and its easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Alright so netflix has been released here for what, about a month and a bit now along with the accessibility to the US stuff?

So if you havent watched Breaking Bad yet... Why in the blue hell not? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If you want a good laugh then watch A VERY BRITISH GANGSTER on US Netflix. It's about a gay, church going, Manchester criminal. It's not supposed to be funny but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

If you want a good laugh then watch A VERY BRITISH GANGSTER on US Netflix. It's about a gay, church going, Manchester criminal. It's not supposed to be funny but it is.

WTF is not supposed to be funny about a gay church goin criminal :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So did anybody experiance problems with US Netflix today or last night it seems to have given up on my xbox got it back up and running on PS3 today though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, it was down for me for a few hours last night. I checked on www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com and it confirmed that everyone was having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭thesultan

Once the free month is over does with paying get one a bigger log of shows and films?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thesultan wrote: »
    Once the free month is over does with paying get one a bigger log of shows and films?

I seriously doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Anyone had any experience with concurrent streams? What is the maximum number of devices you have been able to watch on at once?

I set it up for my brother on his xbox and we've (presumably) been able to watch stuff simultaneously without issue, but since I gave my account details to my dad so he could watch on his laptop i've been getting the 'Your netflix account is in use on too many devices.' error.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Simi wrote: »
    Anyone had any experience with concurrent streams? What is the maximum number of devices you have been able to watch on at once?

I set it up for my brother on his xbox and we've (presumably) been able to watch stuff simultaneously without issue, but since I gave my account details to my dad so he could watch on his laptop i've been getting the 'Your netflix account is in use on too many devices.' error.

Did you try activating the device? It might be that you can only use one laptop/pc

Simi wrote: »

You can use it on two devices at once. Last week when I was at home my borther were watching it on the Xbox in one room and on the PS3 in another. Tried to watch it on the PC but kept getting the "in use on too many devices" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It might be that you can only use one laptop/pc

Yeah that's what I was thinking, or the limit might be two concurrent streams. Working again now. Ah well i'll just make my dad sign up for his own free month if it crops up too often. Definitely keeping it on after the trial period ends though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Skinfull wrote: »

thanks for the reply.. us netflix is class.. love it.. content is amazing.. once we are allowed to keep using the us content, ill keep netflix, Im just waiting for the likes of sky to try and get netflix to block us content to Ireland.. sky hate competition and netflix with the us content could be competiton to sky, we've already given up sky movies,

does this work on the wii ? Do you do the same thing ? :)

• Advertisement

never tried it with the wii. Just about to try it on xbox but by all accounts it should work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement