Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks for this thread.

Signed up for Netflix a while back and have been disappointed with the content.
    Going through this thread today I saw the comments on the DNS settings - so jumped in and tried it.

Worked first time - updated my wireless settings manually
    > manual IP - I picked one high enough there would be no conflict (192.168.1.50)
    > gateway - IP of my router found from ipconfig from cmd on a pc. (for me 192.168.1.1 - will be different for others)
    > the 255.255.255.0 thingy
    > DNS 1 & 2 - as above.
    Completed the setup - turning uPnP off and got Nat 3 - bit nervous at that.

Opened Netflix and immediately got access to all the US shows - just brilliant and even better no need to use any other services.

Have to admit the content there is a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I done that allready,I quit netflix and restart the ps and im still on the irish one.

I do exactly what it says on the playmo setup,which from what i can see is just enter the dns settings on the ps3,quit netflix and restart the ps.Am I missing something?

I signed up for playmo at it would not allow me to view the us netflix as I needed a password from playmo which is meant to be mailed to me that was 2 weeks ago no email yet so just signed up for UnblockUs

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

campo wrote: »
    I signed up for playmo at it would not allow me to view the us netflix as I needed a password from playmo
    Just follow their setup instructions.. don't worry about registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Taltos wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread.

Signed up for Netflix a while back and have been disappointed with the content.
    Going through this thread today I saw the comments on the DNS settings - so jumped in and tried it.

Worked first time - updated my wireless settings manually
    > manual IP - I picked one high enough there would be no conflict (192.168.1.50)
    > gateway - IP of my router found from ipconfig from cmd on a pc. (for me 192.168.1.1 - will be different for others)
    > the 255.255.255.0 thingy
    > DNS 1 & 2 - as above.
    Completed the setup - turning uPnP off and got Nat 3 - bit nervous at that.

Opened Netflix and immediately got access to all the US shows - just brilliant and even better no need to use any other services.

Have to admit the content there is a hell of a lot better.

I didnt do that manual ip or the gateway,what do you have to do with the ip,and how do you decide which one to use,I cna find out the gateway my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Hey guys,does anyone know where you can find a list of movies/programmes coming soon on Netflix?

• Advertisement

Not sure if you have to - but figured it might be best.

In terms of what one to use - first look at your default gateway - assuming you know this from your router.

It should be something like
    192.168.1.1 or 192.168.254.1

Just change the last digit to something reasonably high - like a 30 or a 50

eg
    192.168.1.50 or 192.168.254.50

Basically your default gateway is the IP address you use to access your router normally. Or if you have a PC goto Start > Run > type in cmd and hit enter on the new pop-up window type ipconfig and hit enter - that will tell you your default gateway.

it says i have nat type 2 would that be the problem?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

No. I have NAT 2 and can view US netflix.

F1ngers wrote: »
    No. I have NAT 2 and can view US netflix.

Did you just change the dns settings in the ps3?

This is getting annoying now!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Did you clear your netflix defaults? (when starting netflix hold start and select to wipe its cache then relogin)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Did you just change the dns settings in the ps3?

This is getting annoying now!

Yes. I use the unblock-us settings. I can't link it as I'm in work - and it's blocked here(proxy avoidance).

Took 2 mins from start to finish.
    I know nothing of the playmo one.

EDIT: I had a look at the playmo site - that's exactly what I did on my PS3 - except I used unblock-us DNS numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 king kole

Hi, was wondering if someone could help me out? I signed up to the free trial about two months aso, then paid the mothly fee to renew it. But when i did alot of the content is nowhere to be found unless i search for it. Before it had sections like horror, kids ect. Anyone know what the story is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hey guys,does anyone know where you can find a list of movies/programmes coming soon on Netflix?

This is for the American site

http://feedfliks.com/streaming

I done the start and select and still on the irish site.

Not sure what to do now.
    Do I have to put these settings directly on the router?I am doing this for the wireless settings on the ps3.

I went on the unblockus site and check service and it says that its not set up right.

stumped

Maybe just list out what you did start to end - from Network settings.

It is probably something really small. Should not be a need to adjust your router - maybe include which service provider you are with.

Looking at the link from Basq earlier - the only difference I made was I configured my IP address manually - but otherwise that guide is pretty much it - though I used different DNS addresses - I used the 22 one and the 23.

Just to be sure on mine - set manually.

IP = 192.168.20.50 (I connect my PS3 via another device hence the 20) - will be different for you
    Default Gateway = 192.168.20.1 - will be different for you
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    DNS 1 = 208.122.23.22
    DNS 2 = 208.122.23.23

Then went all way to end - tested - got Nat 3 - hit X again and exited.

You may need to restart / clear your cache.
    Netflix took a long time to open - but when it did got the lot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@Mods - any chance we can have a separate thread for Netflix film/tv discussions so that folk like me who don't care about going for the US content aren't stuck wading through pages of people asking for help with Unblock-US or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

A separate Netflix content recommendation thread is in order now I think, (for US and local versions) the last 45 posts (could be more gave up counting past that) are about only unblock and setting up on devices etc, would be nice to check in quickly for other peoples discoveries on it.

Taltos wrote: »
    Maybe just list out what you did start to end - from Network settings.

It is probably something really small. Should not be a need to adjust your router - maybe include which service provider you are with.

Looking at the link from Basq earlier - the only difference I made was I configured my IP address manually - but otherwise that guide is pretty much it - though I used different DNS addresses - I used the 22 one and the 23.

Just to be sure on mine - set manually.

IP = 192.168.20.50 (I connect my PS3 via another device hence the 20) - will be different for you
    Default Gateway = 192.168.20.1 - will be different for you
    Subnet = 255.255.255.0
    DNS 1 = 208.122.23.22
    DNS 2 = 208.122.23.23

Then went all way to end - tested - got Nat 3 - hit X again and exited.

You may need to restart / clear your cache.
    Netflix took a long time to open - but when it did got the lot.

ok what i do

Internet connection Settings
    Select a setting method--custom
    Select a connection method--wireless
    WLAN Settings--Scan
    then I select my internet and press right and get to WLAN Security Setting (mine is none)

IP adddress Setting--Automatic
    Set the DHCP Host name--Do Not Set
    DNS Setting--DNS 1 = 208.122.23.22
    DNS 2 = 208.122.23.23
    MTU--Automatic
    Proxy Sever--Do not use
    UPnP--Disable

then I save settings

test connection

then I reset the ps3
    Load up Netflix and it takes awhile or get an error but when it logs in its the irish one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Alright, I give up. Recommendations thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77237987#post77237987

We'll now use this thread solely for general discussion and technical queries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Skinfull wrote: »
    Change WII DNS settings

Just change primary and secondary to 208.122.23.22 / 208.122.23.23

That doesn't seem to work for me. 'Unable to find an access point. Please confirm the SSID and try again'. Hmm. Edit, I think I know why. Back in a sec.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's some good news, particularly if you're using the US content!! Hopefully could get some decent movies relatively soon after release.
    Newswire Netflix will stream The Artist and other Weinstein Company films before they appear on cable

by Sean O'Neal February 21, 2012

In an instance of arrogant game recognizing arrogant game, The Weinstein Company has signed an exclusive deal with Netflix—its analogue in being initially groundbreaking, then undone by its own braggadacio, then slowly clawing its way to redemption—that will allow Netflix to stream the Weinsteins’ movies before they appear on pay cable channels. These include recent releases such as The Artist, Ralph Fiennes’ Coriolanus, Madonna’s W.E., France’s The Intouchables and Sarah’s Key, and the high-school football documentary Undefeated, all of which will premiere on Netflix within a year of their theatrical releases, all of which will be welcome additions to Netflix’s frequently dire New Releases section. Especially W.E., which you can now get drunk and make fun of without the sobering hassle of first acquiring the DVD.

source - http://www.avclub.com/articles/netflix-will-stream-the-artist-and-other-weinstein,69690/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the amount of standup comedy on the US one is unreal, bunch of Louis CK stuff on there, woo :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    the amount of standup comedy on the US one is unreal, bunch of Louis CK stuff on there, woo :D

his sitcom Louie is top notch too.

one thing i wish netflix has was a "to watch" list, like I've found random stuff on there and though oh yeah I'll get round to that then forgot about it, I know you can watch the beginning of something to make it show on the recently watched list but it vanishes when you watch more stuff.

the ps3 interface is gack as well, and the search function SUCKS

krudler wrote: »
    one thing i wish netflix has was a "to watch" list, like I've found random stuff on there and though oh yeah I'll get round to that then forgot about it, I know you can watch the beginning of something to make it show on the recently watched list but it vanishes when you watch more stuff.

the ps3 interface is gack as well, and the search function SUCKS

Cancel your subscription and sign back up with the DNS set for the US store. Same procedure as before and it can be done in a minute, next time you sign in you have access to an instant queue where you can mark content for later. Be warned that you may find yourself, like I have with 500 titles in your queue.

Cancel your subscription and sign back up with the DNS set for the US store. Same procedure as before and it can be done in a minute, next time you sign in you have access to an instant queue where you can mark content for later. Be warned that you may find yourself, like I have with 500 titles in your queue.

ah sweet didnt know the us one had a different interface

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Comcast have launched a rival service to Netflix today.
    Comcast has officially unveiled its new streaming video service, Xfinity Streampix. This new service aims to provide facilities similar to those offered by Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime. Xfinity Streampix is hoping to appeal to users looking to cancel their cable TV subscriptions and instead opt for a premium streaming service that meets their video consumption requirements. On February 23rd 2012, Streampix will officially go live and will be available for Comcast customers owning either a double-or triple-play subscription package. This means the user will have to subscribe to both TV services as well as a regular or Internet telephone plan in order to be eligible.

Users with just a basic subscription service will have to pay $4.99 per month additionally to get this facility.

SVP of Comcast Video services, Marcien Jenckes, commented: "We also recognize there's a marketplace for streaming deeper-library movies and TV shows and that's where Streampix comes in," stated a Comcast blog post.

"With Xfinity Streampix, we're adding more past season TV shows, more movies and more value to our customers' subscriptions."

Streampix will be available on various platforms including web browsers, Xbox 360, Android powered devices and also iOS devices.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/23/comcast-launch-video-streaming-service-xfinity-streampix/#ixzz1nDcNU5BC

xfinity streampix? hope whoever came up with that title was fired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Skinfull wrote: »
    catthinkin wrote: »
    How do you do that ? I tried but i have a wireless router think i must be doing something wrong ? Help would be appreciated thanks

Change WII DNS settings

Just change primary and secondary to 208.122.23.22 / 208.122.23.23

Yay it worked and yes way more on it cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Hey, I hate to start a whole new spate of question and answer posts... and yes, your post is pretty clear! But can you clarify pleeeeease!

Cancel netflix on the website? Then go to console and sign up while on US DNS settings? Or are you talking about PC interface only? A queue, would be a godsend!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement