Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭halolma

okay silly question just changed my DNS on my xbox as it says here >>> http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291532

I was just wondering how many of you have been using the method? and what's the craic with your account on netflix, will you be charged more to viewing US? is their away they can see what you are accessing?

Since the guidelines etc etc... lol ya know what you mean. blah blah..

any info or advice would be cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Over 800 posts and most are posters asking how to get access to US Netflix. This is why I started a separate thread for recommending shows/films a week ago, which was closed straight away. The recommendations in this thread are getting lost in a sea of the same old question.

Completely agree with you. The decision to close the Netflix recommendations thread was a poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Nyan Cat wrote: »

As for payment issues some ask about: ulster bank and other members of the rbs group are having issues with Netflix and visa debit.

Ah, I might go into the bank so and see if there's anything that can be done about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Over 800 posts and most are posters asking how to get access to US Netflix. This is why I started a separate thread for recommending shows/films a week ago, which was closed straight away. The recommendations in this thread are getting lost in a sea of the same old question.

I sympathise. This thread is indeed a mess. And if somebody would be so kind as to put together an FAQ with answers to all these questions that people keep asking I'll be happy to make it the first post. But the reason we locked the previous recommendations threads is because they would have turned into the exact same thing with technical questions about DNS/VPN settings, download caps and whining about 7 euro being too much, etc. There's no point in having multiple Netflix threads in which the same thing is being discussed. It's easier for the time being to just limit all the Netflix discussion to a single thread. Things will die down after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I just signed up tonight and got the US content on my PS3. Is there a reason why the search functionality is so poor? I seem to be able only to search by name, theres no by genre or year option for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

holy ****, Bravestarr is on the US one, nostalgia just punched me in the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone know of a media box that has all the American Streaming services built in? If i were to change the DNS settings then theoretically i could get Hulu, CBS, Fox, HBO Go etc etc.

I know they are available on my laptop but i have a nice home cinema set up so i would need Dolby 5.1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    holy ****, Bravestarr is on the US one, nostalgia just punched me in the balls

Battletech is on there too man!!

Just finished watching Boss tonight, found it slow going at first but it really ramps up in the last 3 or 4 episodes. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

My free trial ended yesterday (Feb. 12), was worried that my payment wouldn't go through because I have a pre paid Mastercard (Swirlcard) but it was debited 6.99 just after midnight, might be a solution to those who's Ulster Bank debit cards aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its fours years old now but watched seven pounds tonight. Good film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Has there been any whispers of new content yet, I like it but I will be running out of things to watch soon. I particularly don't like how shows that have been on for years only have the first few seasons, usually the first and second and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

twilight zone, alfred hitchcock presents, watched some of these last nite, excellent little short shows, usa netflix is so much better than our version, hopefully ours it's that standards in time..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Has there been any whispers of new content yet, I like it but I will be running out of things to watch soon. I particularly don't like how shows that have been on for years only have the first few seasons, usually the first and second and that's it.

Currently 14224 streaming titles......and you're gonna run out of stuff to watch:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dodzy wrote: »
    Currently 14224 streaming titles......and you're gonna run out of stuff to watch:eek:

Like having a million channels on cable, it's not so much run out if one were to watch wall to wall and your life depended on and exam at the end of each title, more like would could die of depression and boredom if done so.

The content quality is low, most of the good stuff, I've already on DVD. I'd say that my trial is just about up and I'm struggling to want to watch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

gbee wrote: »
    Like having a million channels on cable, it's not so much run out if one were to watch wall to wall and your life depended on and exam at the end of each title, more like would could die of depression and boredom if done so.

The content quality is low, most of the good stuff, I've already on DVD. I'd say that my trial is just about up and I'm struggling to want to watch something.

I hear ya. Personally, I dont mind watching a real good film twice ( Im sure we've all done it at one point or another ).

I see it as a cheap supplement to my basic UPC pack. For the price, I am not complaining. The logitech revue and the US store seal it for me as a good deal @ 7€ p/mth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I signed up for the free trial last night and I'm unimpressed to say the least with the selection. Even for TV shows, the likes of Dexter has finished season 6 in the states. I have seasons 1-4 on DVD and 5&6 on my HD but netflix only has the first 2 seasons.

I knew it was old content but didn't realise it was that out of date.

New film arrivals... the expendables, kill bill 2? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

smash wrote: »
    I signed up for the free trial last night and I'm unimpressed to say the least with the selection. Even for TV shows, the likes of Dexter has finished season 6 in the states. I have seasons 1-4 on DVD and 5&6 on my HD but netflix only has the first 2 seasons.

I knew it was old content but didn't realise it was that out of date.

New film arrivals... the expendables, kill bill 2? Seriously?
    * cough *

.. US..

* cough *

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Anyone know if changing the DNS on Xbox affects the actual playing of games? will the xbox thinks it's US and pull up the US dashboard and start matching me with US gamers first and foremost? I'd much rather keep everything about my Xbox the same but have the access to the US Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

djkeogh wrote: »
    Anyone know if changing the DNS on Xbox affects the actual playing of games? will the xbox thinks it's US and pull up the US dashboard and start matching me with US gamers first and foremost? I'd much rather keep everything about my Xbox the same but have the access to the US Netflix

I'm not 100% on xbl's match making algo's

But the DNS setting _shouldn't_ effect.

The xbox will just use the dns server's to do a reverse lookup of an IP.

if you choose "local" searching or whatever in games it should be based on the origin of your IP so basically using geo-ip or something similar so as long as your ISP provides the correct data which most now do you should be fine.

What there might be is a bit of latency on a DNS lookup whch won't affect play in game. e.g. make your over all ping higher

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

169 episodes of how its made O_O
    Somebody come find me in a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Watching Dazed and Confused at the moment, have seen first 30 mins and will see the rest tomorrow... netflix is deadly and I can't wait for summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Watching Dazed and Confused at the moment, have seen first 30 mins and will see the rest tomorrow... netflix is deadly and I can't wait for summer :D
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

:confused:

I second that?? Maybe he's looking forward to the European Championships?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

It's a well known fact that the director's cut of Dazed and Confused is three months long. WoollyRedHat is merely looking forward to the climax of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I second that?? Maybe he's looking forward to the European Championships?:confused:

Nah, it's just at the cusp of summer and thought I'd throw it in randomly, but I am looking forward to the European Championship, although I may not be able to see them because of awkward time zones :mad:

It's a well known fact that the director's cut of Dazed and Confused is three months long. WoollyRedHat is merely looking forward to the climax of the movie.

Haha, better stay away from the Director's cut then, I don't want to waste 1 month free trial and 14 euro on just one movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

Anyone having trouble with netflix at the moment? Was working fine until yesterday but now the iPhone app won't load and neither will netflix.com

Using playmo dns settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Just tried it there on my iPhone and PC and no problems at all. Not at home to check iPad but all seems good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

Got it back up, seems when signing up (for a second free month) you need to change the dns settings back to normal.

Up and running on us site once again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a media box that has all the American Streaming services built in? If i were to change the DNS settings then theoretically i could get Hulu, CBS, Fox, HBO Go etc etc.

I know they are available on my laptop but i have a nice home cinema set up so i would need Dolby 5.1

With the exception of HBO GO (You need an actual HBO Sub to use this AFAIK, similar to Sky here) I use a Boxee Box for all of the above + Pandora, Vudu, etc etc. Works for BBC iPlayer and RTE player too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Kevtherev wrote: »
    Got it back up, seems when signing up (for a second free month) you need to change the dns settings back to normal.

Up and running on us site once again:)

Didn't have to change anything and mine worked fine from trial through to first payment month on US Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement