Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words that bug you - written or spoken

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I sometimes wonder how much time is really saved by writing 'plz' rather than 'please' etc. etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

"Listening device" really bugs me.........

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sidders

dropping lol-bombs from my rofl-copter
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

There are several that I don't like, one is when you are asked or even commanded to enjoy something and they just say - 'Enjoy!' - my immediate reaction is - enjoy what? what am I supposed to enjoy? Another one is 'medication' - what's that supposed to mean? when I go to a pharmacy (or une pharmacie as they say here) I go there to buy medicines which I then put in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. 'Up for grabs' - I'm certain that there's a more civilised way of expressing that idea. I'll be back with some more, later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

franc 91 wrote: »
    There are several that I don't like, one is when you are asked or even commanded to enjoy something and they just say - 'Enjoy!' - my immediate reaction is - enjoy what? what am I supposed to enjoy? Another one is 'medication' - what's that supposed to mean? when I go to a pharmacy (or une pharmacie as they say here) I go there to buy medicines which I then put in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. 'Up for grabs' - I'm certain that there's a more civilised way of expressing that idea. I'll be back with some more, later on.
    I have no problem with any of the above.
    'Enjoy', can grate a bit if you are distinctly anti Americanism, but it expresses quite a nice sentiment.
    'Medication' is a course of prescribed medicine. Odd behaviour, for example, could be explained by someone forgetting their medication.
    'Up for grabs' = 'Free for all'.
    I think 'up for grabs' has the edge, in terms of expression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe living in France and thinking in french has altered the way you 'hear' English franc? I can't see any problems with the phrases you quote.

Enjoy is a bit American sounding but its only said when you are served a meal, so obviously you are invited to enjoy the meal. What is the problem with 'medication'? And 'up for grabs' does sound mildly aggressive, but it is used in circumstances where a bit of aggression might be implied.

Having said all that, people react to things in different ways, and its interesting to see what is a problem for one person where it might not be for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

slowburner wrote: »
    I have no problem with any of the above.
    'Enjoy', can grate a bit if you are distinctly anti Americanism, but it expresses quite a nice sentiment.
    'Medication' is a course of prescribed medicine. Odd behaviour, for example, could be explained by someone forgetting their medication.
    'Up for grabs' = 'Free for all'.
    I think 'up for grabs' has the edge, in terms of expression.
    I will side with franc 91 on this one. "Enjoy!" This, to me seems completely incorrect and sounds terrible - just as "Simples" when someone means "That's obvious".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

"Enjoy" is a transitive verb, and requires an object.

That's why we used to say "Enjoy it!" and not just the word "enjoy!" on its own. Although I do feel that English lacks a one-word 'enjoy' equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

odds_on wrote: »
    I will side with franc 91 on this one. "Enjoy!" This, to me seems completely incorrect and sounds terrible - just as "Simples" when someone means "That's obvious".

Simples comes from a recent insurance advert ..."Compare the Market"

It's just a bit of pop culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't like 'journalling' in place of 'keeping a diary'. Is a journal the same as a diary? I'm not really sure, but I have always failed to do either.

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I don't like 'journalling' in place of 'keeping a diary'. Is a journal the same as a diary? I'm not really sure, but I have always failed to do either.
    You could say 'diarying' instead, but this might sound as if you had the trots.

"Enjoy" is a transitive verb, and requires an object.

That's why we used to say "Enjoy it!" and not just the word "enjoy!" on its own. Although I do feel that English lacks a one-word 'enjoy' equivalent.
    Could 'Pleasure' could be a one word equivalent?
    For example;
    'I hope you have a good trip.'
    - 'Thank you.'
    'Pleasure.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Over here, a journal is a diary. But trying to get one like a letts or a Collins was a chore. As a result didn't get one this year until mid Jan and am afraid that it still lies empty. You've gotta start in the first week of the new year or all is lost (at least with me) :(

Have kept a diary on and off since I was a child. Reading over old ones can be fascinating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

when people say ''I could care less'' when it's suppossed to be said as: ''I couldn't care less'' Saying I ''could care less'' means you do actually care :mad: Irritates me to no end.

Also when people greet others by shouting: ''Schtoorreeeeee?!''

Pardon my ignorance, but what does 'Schtoorreeeee!' mean? - story/scéal?

It's a catch phrase from a comedy series called 'Hardy Bucks'. It means 'story' - as in 'What's the story?' or 'What's happening?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

slowburner wrote: »
    It's a catch phrase from a comedy series called 'Hardy Bucks'.

Really? I thought it was a Dublin phrase, as used by junkies.

I'd guess it originated in Dublin and was adopted by the 'Hardy Bucks', probably for the irony of a bunch of 'softcore' lads in the west using a term from the 'hardcore' east. (No offence to either intended).

Ceart go leor, GRMA - scéal ar bith

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Any Irish word, for any reason, innit .

• Advertisement

Any Irish word, for any reason, innit .

innit = sea = ceart go leor. Innit! :D

It was just to say - OK thank you and it's no story at all (when you don't have anything to say)
    PS I'm trying to learn Irish all my own here at my end, and it isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

another phrase that bugs me is ''School years are the best years of your life'', as I've been told that multiple times. Not true,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I find it really annoying that the word 'presently' seems to be repeatedly misused. I noticed it last year and was shocked to hear people who ought to know better use 'presently' instead of 'at present' or 'currently'. Why is this happening?

But surely this is the beauty of a living language ........... constantly evolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Colette X

When every sentence is punctuated several times with 'like' or 'ya know'. Cork people mostly.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Colette X wrote: »
    When every sentence is punctuated several times with 'like' or 'ya know'. Cork people mostly.:)

When our kids were younger they used to love interviews on the TV with Sonya O'Sullivan 'cos they used to count all the 'y'knows'. There were a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

banter! banter! banter! , hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

This is a small pet peeve: when people say 'shrimps', when speaking the plural form of shrimp. Though technically I guess it's right, I prefer to say (& hear it said).. shrimp. one shrimp, two shrimp, 100 shrimp swimming in the sea.

• Advertisement

stick girl wrote: »
    This is a small pet peeve: when people say 'shrimps', when speaking the plural form of shrimp. Though technically I guess it's right, I prefer to say (& hear it said).. shrimp. one shrimp, two shrimp, 100 shrimp swimming in the sea.
    Guilty :o
    Now I know better.

Advertisement