Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will pellet guns ever be made license-free in Ireland

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

ok lads,the 1st step is to come up with some proposal on airgun law that would be acceptable to us and the powers that be,then we need to start sending those email and letters to alal shatter or any finegael/labour td with those proposals,i might be possible to get something without ask for airguns to be fully licence free,
    would we agree on fac holders to own airguns licence and hassle free or would it be where your local supers written permission might be enough.
    put all your ideas here or make a new post where we can come up with ideas...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

daveob007 wrote: »
    ok lads,the 1st step is to come up with some proposal on airgun law that would be acceptable to us and the powers that be, ...........

There are so many problems to face that unfortunately its not that simple. I'm not saying we have to sit on our hands, but as i've said before when we bring what we see as fair application of the law to the PTB they are under no obligation to even look at a proposal.

Then the issue of who draughts such a proposal. We DO NOT need any on group claiming they know best for everyone else. The NTSA would seem the obvious choice. As the NGB for smallbore and air rifle shooting they would know what affects their members, and how best to word any such proposals. However, and no direspect, their needs and objectives may not suit the plinker or the lad with an air rifle for vermin control or more to the point anyone not interested in target shooting. So now you need the NARGC for club members to be represented. Possibly more NGBs as the list of interested parties expands.

So you need a "united front" from multiple organisations. Problem there is some organisations have no interest in air rifle/firearms even though some of their members have them. So their interest would not run as strong and they may not be as determined to lobby for the best "deal" we can get.

Then the attitude of a firearm is a firearm will be hard to overcome. How can an agreement be made when some parties believe anything resembling a firearm should be classed as a firearm irrespective of ability, performance, etc.
    ................ then we need to start sending those email and letters to alal shatter or any finegael/labour td with those proposals,...

Sending e-mails, letters, signing petitions, etc are all well and good, but the usual will happen when the time comes for people to put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. The majority of people would like to see a lessening of the laws surrounding air firearms, however when pushed, and going on previous scenarios, less than 2% would "go the distance".
    ...........i might be possible to get something without ask for airguns to be fully licence free,
    would we agree on fac holders to own airguns licence and hassle free or would it be where your local supers written permission might be enough.
    put all your ideas here or make a new post where we can come up with ideas

I highly doubt know we will not get license free air firearms. We all have our ideas. Mine are;

Ezridax wrote: »
    Ideally i would like to see;
    • The age limit for air rifles reduced (ideally 12).
    • An authorisation rather than license.
    • Perhaps a declassification of air rifles under 7 or 12 ftlb as firearms.
    • License/authorisation fee reduced to €40 for 3 years.
    • Anyone with a firearms license to gain "automatic" authorisation for an air rifle. (You'd still apply, but it would follow the guidelines for a substitution timeframe rather than a full application).
    • Anyone under 16 to be "sponsored" by an adult (over 18 - Parent/Guardian)
    • Any rifle over the set limit would fall under the current legislation as is.
    Now some or all of them could be wrong, inappropriate, etc. However i don't shoot air rifles so what do i know, and its of no loss to me now. There are times i've pondered the idea of getting an air rifle, and when i think of the cost, licensing, etc required i always opt for a cartridge firearm instead.

The FCP was the best thing we had and irrespective of people's opinions of its effectiveness what we need for the air rifle issues, and future issues is the same sort of "consortium" of NGBs. With the FCP we had a voice, a seat at the table or if you like a direct link to the PTB.

I would like to see these laws and some others being addressed and possibly changed, but we need to have the appropriate body with all interested/concerned parties represented and all working towards a common goal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ezridax wrote: »
    The FCP was the best thing we had and irrespective of people's opinions of its effectiveness what we need for the air rifle issues, and future issues is the same sort of "consortium" of NGBs. With the FCP we had a voice, a seat at the table or if you like a direct link to the PTB.
    Agreed, and on that note, see our new sticky:
    Petition to simplify the Firearms Act and make the FCP permanent

Might as well give it a try and it seems to be the lowest common denominator of all the interests involved...

Advertisement