Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What's that got to do with Republicanism? You think I'm going to stand up for an evil person just because he's Irish?

There's an old saying in Ireland... An English boss is a bastard, an Irish one even worse.

I fully agree that the 'rich man' puts the 'poor man' in his/her place and that's one of the main reasons that I believe Unionists will eventually turn around and realise that they've been screwed over by the Brits as well.

Rich bastards like Thomas McFeely?

We have collective amnesia when talking about this as to what actually happened this country at the hands of the Brits in the previous 800 years..

Selective amnesia is the phrase you are looking for.

Go read the history forum, Irish history is not as black and white as you like to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

No (I'm Irish)
    Wearing the poppy means you support the actions of monsters like this, http://www.thejournal.ie/soldier-who-kept-body-parts-of-murdered-afghans-as-trophies-found-guilty-276586-Nov2011/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No (I'm Irish)
    "OH give us our country to rule over it our selves" Well fellow Paddies that was the call for centuries.Whaddda ya tink about the mess we made of it???Can't blame anybody else after 80 years?

What? No it doesn't. Where did you get that notion from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

No (I'm Irish)
    What? No it doesn't. Where did you get that notion from?

Was also thinking that myself. I note the soldier is the article was also American. I don't see the relevance to the initial tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

paddyandy wrote: »
    "OH give us our country to rule over it our selves" Well fellow Paddies that was the call for centuries.Whaddda ya tink about the mess we made of it???
    Not too bad in fairness. We'd have been doing alright if that Lenihan hadn't gone beyond his mandate and done the deal with the banks, for which he and his party were clinically dismembered by the electorate. As for the Greens, they've gone into the recycling bin. And even with that we're still in pretty good shape, all things considered.

We wouldn't be the first country to have voted in a bad government, nor the last.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No (I'm Irish)
    We voted in a bad government..when was the good one??????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

paddyandy wrote: »
    We voted in a bad government..when was the good one??????
    You can point to the good and bad of any government. The particular incident I'm referring to is the blanket guarantee which resulted in FF being all but disintegrated, an unprecedented event.

So what sort of a job have we made of it, not bad on the balance, a few hiccups aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

This thread is daft. Not least because wearing the poppy is not out of rememberance at all. It is a charity, like Daffodil day here, but the money goes to the Royal British Legion to help the Armed Forces for injured soldiers and relatives of the dead to give them financial help. It has a lot less to do with commerating the so called British Empire than it does supporting those involved in the 2 Iraq wars and Afghanistan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

No (I'm Irish)
    It is a charity, like Daffodil day here, but the money goes to the Royal British Legion

And the money raised here in the Republic goes to Irish soldiers who have served in the British army and the families of soldiers who have died/been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

No (I'm British/not Irish)
    Good to see the service men and women giving a minutes silence to the fallen volunteers. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Good to see the service men and women giving a minutes silence to the fallen volunteers. RIP.

What about those that were conscripted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Now that was a tragedy. Ever see Alan Bleasdale's drama (based on the true story of WW1 mutineer, Percy Topliss) "The Monocled Mutineer"?

Really brings home the madness of conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Step23 wrote: »
    And the money raised here in the Republic goes to Irish soldiers who have served in the British army and the families of soldiers who have died/been killed.

I'm merely pointing out that the entire pretext of the thread is false.

old hippy wrote: »
    Now that was a tragedy. Ever see Alan Bleasdale's drama (based on the true story of WW1 mutineer, Percy Topliss) "The Monocled Mutineer"?

Really brings home the madness of conflict.

And that is why remembrance day in Britain is so important.

Forgetting for a minute the RBL poppy, the actual act of remembrance is significant because 600,000 conscripted men (conscripted, not volunteers) lost their lives.

When you add in the numbers of conscripts from France, Germany, Austria/Hungary and Russia there were literally millions of people sent to fight a pointless war who didn't come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He must be repeating himself now, because I seem to remember asking him the same question a couple of thousand posts ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He must be repeating himself now, because I seem to remember asking him the same question a couple of thousand posts ago.

I believe he is having a little chuckle at the thoughts of Irish people commemorating the UVF.

Morlar wrote: »
    I believe he is having a little chuckle at the thoughts of Irish people commemorating the UVF.
    I believe people should be allowed to commemorate who they want. I remember all service men and women.

I believe people should be allowed to commemorate who they want. I remember all service men and women.

At least twice in this thread you have conspicously, pointedly referenced remembering the 'volunteers'.

I believe you are referring to the Ulster Volunteer Force.

When you repeatedly refer to remembering the Volunteers are you referring to the UVF or not ? Yes or no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least twice in this thread you have conspicously, pointedly referenced remembering the 'volunteers'.

When you repeatedly refer to remembering the Volunteers are you referring to the UVF or not ? Yes or no.

A big red hand would make a real mess of a lapel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 helm09

There were lots of Irish that fought in world war and were proud to do so their relatives should wear one if they want too..

helm09 wrote: »
    There were lots of Irish that fought in world war and were proud to do so their relatives should wear one if they want too..

You don't need a Royal British Legion Poppy to commemorate the Irish who fell in World War One.

The problem with the poppy is that it is not just about WWI it also commemorates the British army who suppressed the population in Northern Ireland in recent years as well as in Ireland during (for example) the Irish War of Independence.

Offhand I can't think of another country which would engage in commemorating an army of occupation which committed such atrocities against the local population throughout history right up to very recent times.

All volunteers of WW1 and WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rich bastards like Thomas McFeely?

Again... you think I'm going to stick up for someone just because their from the same broad political ideology that I am?

Pathetic.

Again... you think I'm going to stick up for someone just because their from the same broad political ideology that I am?

Pathetic.

Pathetic, but amusing none the less.

As do I. However, will you join me and please take some time out of your day today to remember these poor souls?

http://i41.tinypic.com/24fb9xf.jpg

[Edit - Anyone know how I post the pic straight to here rather than the link?]

Pathetic, but amusing none the less.

What's pathetic about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well at least we should all be able to appreciate a good poem.

Written by a canadian.

Advertisement