Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

This is why I question your reading ability. Not once have I said that I expect Irish people to wear the Poppy and twice (now three times) I have pointed this out.

Rabble rabble 800 years rabble famine rabble.

Yet you voted "yes" in the Poll.

You are coming across as sounding like a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Possibly he interpreted as 'be free to' rather than 'have to'. Nowhere in the world 'has to' wear a poppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Possibly he interpreted as 'be free to' rather than 'have to'. Nowhere in the world 'has to' wear a poppy.

I am sure Fred can speak for himself but the question is clear :

British poppy: should the Irish commemorate people who fought for the British Empire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I haven't voted, because it is a loaded question.

If you want to know what people mean when they say "Poppy facism" just check out C4 now.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No (I'm Irish)
    Morlar wrote: »
    The poppy commemorates the British Army, including those who occuppied this country and have Irish blood on their hands. What makes you think any self respecting Irish person should commemorate the forces that occuppied their own country and murdered their own fellow country men ? Would you ?

The Easter Lily commemorates those who rose up against and fought those forces.

It also commemorates those we now serve alongside in Bosnia and Afghanistan today, it commemorates the same arm's of the British forces who protect our shores, and provide cover to our search and rescue teams over our sea's, hills & mountains.

You know you can be a republican, an Irish nationalist, and have a progressive into our future with Britain - there really is no shame in it.

I'd consider myself one, I'm delighted to be leaving our shared past behind us.

Someone mentioned his grandfather not speaking about his war experiences, he'll find most soldiers don't. Its not through embarrassment ffs. Most don't even speak about their experiences among themselves.

During the presidential campaign some supporters (in this thread) of MMG asked people to put the IRA's dreadful past behind us for the greater good - then use the occasion of wearing the poppy to drag us all kicking and screaming back into the past & through Britains deeds - ffs get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Progressive = Revisionist for a great deal of people it seems.

It also commemorates those we now serve alongside in Bosnia and Afghanistan today, it commemorates the same arm's of the British forces who protect our shores, and provide cover to our search and rescue teams over our sea's, hills & mountains.

You know you can be a republican, an Irish nationalist, and have a progressive into our future with Britain - there really is no shame in it.

Someone mentioned his grandfather not speaking about his war experiences, he'll find most soldiers don't. Its not through embarrassment ffs. Most don't even speak about their experiences among themselves.

During the presidential campaign some supporters (in this thread) of MMG asked people to put the IRA's dreadful past behind us for the greater good - then use the occasion of wearing the poppy to drag us all kicking and screaming back into the past & through Britains deeds - ffs get a grip.

What completely and utterly mixed up nonsense.

Forget the past by commemortating British soliders that tramped around an occupied Ireland.

Fantastic, no really, fantastic!

p.s. "Someone mentioned his grandfather not speaking about his war experiences, he'll find most soldiers don't. Its not through embarrassment ffs." - no it was through embarrassment, he has told me so. He and a few guys he knew joined because there wasnt a tap of work. They were stationed in some signals location between Liverpool and Mancester and saw no action. What exactly is there to be proud of that?

Stick your Poppy up your a*** as far as I am concerned! Harsh, yeah it probably is but I am having an allergic reaction to all the short memoried ass kicking PC warriors that think that commemorating British soliders in Ireland should get you anything other than a slap in the jaw.

Lets cut the BS!

Forget the past by commemortating British soliders that tramped around an occupied Ireland.

p.s. "Someone mentioned his grandfather not speaking about his war experiences, he'll find most soldiers don't. Its not through embarrassment ffs." - no it was through embarrassment, he has told me so. He and a few guys he knew joined because there wasnt a tap of work. They were stationed in some signals location between Liverpool and Mancester and saw no action. What exactly is there to be proud of that?

Stick your Poppy up your a*** as far as I am concerned! Harsh, yeah it probably is but I am having an allergic reaction to all the short memoried ass kicking PC warriors that think that commemorating British soliders in Ireland should get you anything other than a slap in the jaw.

Lets cut the BS!

LoL

Keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,010 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Lets cut the BS!

That's probably the reason for there being nothing to talk about.

• Advertisement

No (I'm Irish)
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Progressive = Revisionist for a great deal of people it seems.

I thought about that before using the word 'progressive'.

I'm certainly not a revisionist.

Was I a revisionist when during the presidential campaign I pondered the question of MMG's IRA murdering my comrades, or members of AGS?.

When MMG spoke about growing up on the streets of Derry I understood completely where he was coming from and couldn't say I wouldn't have taken the same path.

But it beats the crap out of me why people want to hang onto Britains deeds so badly, do they think those deeds will be forgotten?... Or maybe there's a sizable population of Ireland who just want to move the fvck on and not be made feel shamed that their father's, grand & great grandfather's fought in war's in a British uniform.

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t if you were drowning out in the Atlantic ocean and an RAF winchman came to your rescue because we couldn't provide cover you'd kiss his/her sweet little heart from here to eternity.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's probably the reason for there being nothing to talk about.

Yeah, bet he was gutted with that posting. :rolleyes:

Got to nail a plenty of local lassies which made his time all the bareable I guess.

No (I'm Irish)

Lets cut the BS!

lol, your threatening me with a punch in the jaw :pac:

And you the one with an infraction in this thread already, you've a neck I'll give you that.

LoL

Keyboard warrior.

yeah! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

WTF has this got to do with anything?!

The post was about the British Army murdering around the world. the blood of innocents as you put it.

The IRA have the blood of innocents on their hands, simple comparison, even murdered a few in Europe.

Exactly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Got to nail a plenty of local lassies which made his time all the bareable I guess.

He must have mentioned the war after all, in that case.

And you the one with an infraction in this thread already, you've a neck I'll give you that.

Who am I threatening? I am not saying I would do anything. I just find your screw logic both distrubing, ass kissing, revisionist and unpalatable.

I'll leave it to others to dish out the slaps, bangs and wallops should they see fit.

But basically his embarrassment had nothing to do with joining the army, it was to do with the fact his war experience was little more than sat at a desk writing memos.

Can I hold your coat?:confused:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He must have mentioned the war after all, in that case.

not sure what kind of sex your have but I guess it must be pretty hardcore if you consider it a war!

• Advertisement

But basically his embarrassment had nothing to do with joining the army, it was to do with the fact his war experience was little more than sat at a desk writing memos.

wrong. His embarrassment was due to having join the British Army when he knew it was full of complete and utter c***, he felt people would include him in thatnumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 peter110788

No (I'm Irish)
    Quick thought.. If all the british lads hadn't fought in the world wars, do you think once england was invaded that they would have stopped there, or moved on an invaded ireland as well? We owe all the lads that fought for freedom whatever country they fought for.

No (I'm Irish)
    Who am I threatening? I am not saying I would do anything. I just find your screw logic both distrubing, ass kissing, revisionist and unpalatable.

I'll other to dish out the slaps, bangs and wallops should they see fit.

I know you wouldn't.

And this;

Doesn't make sense.

Unless your threatening that you can get other's to give me a few?.

But when they do it on a larger scale, ie Bosnia, Afghanistan or Kuwait you'll just point at them and call them murdering bullet dodgers from a Wigan council estate.

not sure what kind of sex your have but I guess it must be pretty hardcore if you consider it a war!

I can see now that you don't know what a war is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is no requirement to wear a Royal British Legion poppy in order to commemorate Irishmen who fought in the British Army during WW1.

It's not a requirement in any way shape or form.

The vast overwhelming focus and intent behind the poppy is to commemorate the British Army. The Irish in WW1 B.A. uniform encompass about a single percentage point in terms of what it is all about.

The rest of what it is all about unfortunately includes the British Army who served in Ireland and who have a horrific record right up to very recent times.

During the Presidential election no one was asking the British public to wear a pro-PIRA pin badge.

Which would be the equivalent move to expecting Irish people to wear a Poppy in my view.

Those advocating or pushing for Irish people to wear a poppy ought to have consideration to Irish circumstances on this subject. No British person would ever commemorate an army that had occuppied their country and murdered their own citizens & likewise I do not think it's reasonable to expect an Irish person to do likewise. There is nothing 'delusional or tunnel vision' or 'living in the past' aobut that - it's just the way it undeniably is. 'Progress' and other such buzzwords when you break them down do not involve one side refusing to acknowledge the past.

I know you wouldn't.

And this;

Doesn't make sense.

Unless your threatening that you can get other's to give me a few?.

I see you are boring and predictable as well as a mixed up revisionist.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I see you are boring and predictable as well as a mixed up revisionist.

mod:
    banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought about that before using the word 'progressive'.

I'm certainly not a revisionist.

Was I a revisionist when during the presidential campaign I pondered the question of MMG's IRA murdering my comrades, or members of AGS?.

When MMG spoke about growing up on the streets of Derry I understood completely where he was coming from and couldn't say I wouldn't have taken the same path.

But it beats the crap out of me why people want to hang onto Britains deeds so badly, do they think those deeds will be forgotten?... Or maybe there's a sizable population of Ireland who just want to move the fvck on and not be made feel shamed that their father's, grand & great grandfather's fought in war's in a British uniform.

I bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t if you were drowning out in the Atlantic ocean and an RAF winchman came to your rescue because we couldn't provide cover you'd kiss his/her sweet little heart from here to eternity.
    I wasn't calling yourself revisionist, sorry if it appeared that way.

Moving the "fcuk on" does not equate to glorifying the British army, or giving money to an organization which does so, all the while ignoring the sacrifices made by Irish men (your certainly not guilty on that score) and regarding doing so as backwards or regressive. That is what a hell of a lot of the poppy brigade do, and have done so on this very thread, they mock and deride the suffering of the Irish as "800 years rabble" while go on about the "noble sacrifice" of British soldiers.

For a great many people, it seems they think that "progressive" is slagging off Irish patriots and bigging up British ones, and that sticks in my graw. (again, thats not aimed at yourself)

My own great grandfather fought for the British army out of economic necessity, he was blacklisted I believe. When I want to remember him I visit his grave, look at pictures, things you normally do to remember relatives. I don't fund a support service for ex British soldiers who served in the North.

• Advertisement

It's a little known fact that it was the memo bombardment that broke the back of the Nazis. If it hadn't been for them, the war wouldn't have ended until 1961.

Advertisement