Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

Had a chat with my mate about this. What super rare cabinets/setups were in Ireland back in the day that you remember? I know of R360, Cycraft, Radarscope (2 I believe) etc. But was there anything like Ridge Racer Full Scale or those rare Taito or Sega simulators or deluxes or anything? It's a pity there's not too many old arcades photos from here floating around.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

I know your man who owns one of those radarscipes, he's awful sexy. The other one ended up in the Netherlands. Basically brothers as in they rolled off the production line together, serial numbers one apart. They went to athlone first, he got that one from there, then the place was demolished.

I've had my hands on the control panel of a nintendo space launcher upright which as far as I know there are none left known in existence.

Sega holloseum and time traveller I remember playing, big huge thing. 3 or two screen rastan 3, and the other taito double triple screens of darius and sagaia.

Those were all scrapped from damsons from bray, along with another 200 odd cabinets. The sledgehammer got there only two weeks before me, pity. All the game boards you can only guess how many, they were sent off to the mame project in England. Was that close.

Atari Cops was a rare one I never saw anywhere else, like mad dog mcgree crossed with miami vice. Probably still there.

Couple of atari pole position 3's, three screen job.

Never saw a ridge racer full-size, the biggest was probably outrun 2 with the 4 half size cars in quirkeys. I'll probably think of a few more weird ones.

I know where the Radarscope is too, I tried to buy it haha but there was no chance, it looked mint. The told me they sleghammered 100s of cabs too, I know a raid went from there not long after I got there to the UK as I think there's a long story behind that. One rare thing they had too actually was Buck Rodgers, never seen one before or after and also a Atari TX1 (I think that pole position 3?)

Darius is cool, didn't realise there was one of them, there was a Dariusburst EX here recently too for a while.

Wow didn't think those two Sega games would have needed up here, know both of them and look cool but seem quirky for its time and doubt they were big earners.

That's cool to know, I know there was a very few of certain original cabs sold like Salamanders too I think 4 or 5.

Would love that outrun 2 SDLX was offered one in Ireland recently for mental money 2 player only, believe it went to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Some Sega Naomi2 Truckin' sit down fun to be had from Adverts - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sega-king-of-route-66-deluxe/31008473

Looks in decent shape too, someone go grab it!

I dont think I played that version but the original Naomi King of Route 66 was a bit of fun especially in the big DLX version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks like it originally had a CRT, I wonder what's been modified to fit the LCD.

Great price for such a large cabinet, I was trying to convince a friend of mine yesterday who's into truck sims to go for it 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

Think these mainly had rptv for the most part although never seen this yellow version . the one in funworld in limerick was knackered for years no idea if they ever fixed it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Getting a blue screen on my cyberlead. Pcb or not its the same. Remote board adjustments doesnt do anything either.

Ill have to check the neck board resistors and the PSU for the correct voltage etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've not seen one of these for a very long time indeed

http://www.adverts.ie/31254796

I hope someone grabs it, would love to see it restored.

I seen one years back but didn't grab it due to size and never played it, is it any good?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Did you ever figure out what the cause of this was in the end?

The PS1 game Air Combat was my first Playstation game. I didn't realised until now was actually based on an arcade game.

Apparently while porting it over to the PS1 they had to redo it all from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Dr. Quirkey's on O'Connell St. had a full scale Ridge Racer for a few years if memory serves.

Wow that's nuts if so, apparently they were costing 150k+ at the time but yeah if anywhere had one it would be there. They had some pretty remarkable cabinets of the years if so then as the likes of that, Cycraft, R360 were made in so little numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

You are correct, took up a huge space near the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's still a big rear projection 18 Wheeler dx cab in the bowling alley in Limerick. Screens proper banjaxed though. They aren't much into maintaining the machines in that place. Last time I was in my son played the Ice Man cabinet and we both could swear someone elses kid had pee'd into it at some point because it stunk to high heaven.

I actually played that machine recently for the first time in a long time there in Funworld, the game itself is actually better than I remembered but yeah machine is in bits unfortunately, last time it had a faulty wheel pot but they fix that this time. Rear project doesn't last 10 years usually not to mind 25 years nearly. What's funny is they have a Ghost Squad too which has a rear projection in a slightly better condition, but they replaced that first before Route 66, surprised they didn't just do both at the same time a few years back, surely would earn more money too. They had a lot of Naomi stuff back in the day there Crazy taxi, Virtua Tennis and a few other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Musashi_

Long time Irish arcade collector here. Got my first pcbs and JAMMA cabs back in 2002. I used to post here the odd time many moons ago, but so much time had elapsed since my last post/activity that the admins must have deleted my account!.. Life, work and other interests just took over...

Anyway, it's great to see there is still plenty of life around here and the Irish arcade scene is still alive and kicking.

Looking forward to getting back into a few restoration projects. 🤙

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ahh, cheers man! Yeah, good to be back. This wasn't my previous username though - it was EmceeKenna... Going back to circa 2004 - 2008.

I used to frequent the old Jamma+ forums as well from 2002/2003 onwards (JoeM).

Post edited by Musashi_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ah cool, there must have been another user with a name similar to your new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Master of the Universe

Great to see people actually coming back, we lost a fair few unfortunately when boards changed over to Vanilla!

You still have much arcade hardware left yourself?

Thanks guys. 👍

Hi o1s1n,

Over the years I let go of two arcade cabs - Taito Chase HQ (sold in 2003) and Sega Super Monaco GP, upright (sold in 2005). To this day I deeply regretted letting go of those machines so held on tight to everything else. The only blocker with that approach is the classic lack space!.. Thankfully, I'll soon be moving into a new house with a garage and a bit more space.. 

Anyway, here is the current collection - 

*Atari pcbs

Pole Position II 

Pole Position 

Pole Position

*Sega pcbs

Outrun

Turbo Outrun

Power Drift

Super Monaco GP

Rail Chase

*JAMMA pcbs

Bubble Bobble (bootleg, not strictly Jamma)

Cabal (bootleg)

Champion Wrestler

Double Dragon

Double Dragon

Double Dragon II

Jackal

Mercs

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat II

New Zealand Story

Neo Geo MVS motherboard

Pac Mania

Shinobi (System 16, so not strictly Jamma..)

Soul Edge

Street Fighter II (bootleg)

WWF Superstars 

MiSTer JAMMIX

*Neo Geo MVS carts

King of Fighters '96

Metal Slug

Puzzle Bobble

*Bootleg multi-game JAMMA pcbs

Pandora's Box 4s

Pandoras Box 6

*Arcade Cabinets

Sega Outrun, stand-up (1986)

Sega Turbo Outrun, mini (1989)

Atari Pole Position II, upright Atari Ireland version (1982)

Jamma cab (for horizontal games) 

Jamma cab (for vertical games) 

Bartop JAMMA wired

There could be pcbs I've missed out or completely forgotten about..

Cheers.

Post edited by Musashi_ on

Fanstastic collection of PCBs and cabinets, some crackers in there. Apart from games I have dedicated cabinets of, I've only about 10 special PCBs left as I don't want the hassle of fixing them when I plug them back in after a while/when they break! I'd say a lot here have built up their collections since you left, and if you haven't seen the price of PCBs have went mental! You could probably sell your Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, New Zealand Story for not far off the price of your Chase HQ Cab now.

Master of the Universe

Wow, that's some collection. I love seeing game lists like that, really get a flavour of the era folks are into with their collecting.

How are you finding that Jammix MiSTer board?

Is your Outrun standup original? That's certainly a dream cabinet right there, can't get more iconic than that.

It's a great time to be selling them for sure, I just moved on a Toaplan Fixeight for 450 quid the other day on Arcade Otaku. Was always a cheaper 100 euro Toaplan game, I think my one was even the Korea version so nothing particularly special about it. Did work perfectly though!

Master of the Universe

You guys ever see 'Highflow' acrylic cases for arcade PCBs?

They're not cheap, about 120 euro for each set, but they do look really lovely.

There are loads of them too for very specific PCBs.

Very nice but the price is just too far out there. Maybe if it was some game worth thousands but honestly I'd rather just buy more games.

Looking at musashis collection has me thinking here about what I have myself, a great way to spend your lunch :p

Konami

The Simpsons

Asterix

Aliens

Teenage mutant ninja turtles

X-men

Monster Maulers

Sunset Riders

Salamander

Vendetta

Thunder Cross

Capcom

Willow

Ghouls n ghosts

Ghosts n goblins

Section Z

Gunsmoke

Black Dragon

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs

Saturday night slam masters

Alien v Predator

Dungeons and Dragons shadow over mystara

Street fighter alpha 3

Nope brain isn't working well enough, back to random

Robocop

Robocop 2

Dark Seal (maybe nuked)

Wonderboy

Shinobi

Super hang on (giant bootleg)

City Connection

Air Buster

R-type

R-type 2

Tonma (converted to m72 multi)

Spatter (dodgy)

Sonic The Fighters

Pilot kids

Dead or Alive 2 (not naomi)

Athena

Psycho Soldier

Commando

Killer instinct 2

Bad dudes versus dragon ninja

Another bad dudes

Bubble bobble

Image fight

Raiden 2

Undercover cops

Street fighter pneumatic

Toki

Dino Rex

Angel Kids

Kung fu master

Vigilante

Ninja Gaiden

Rastan

Double dragon

Double dragon 2

atari tetris

Superman

That must be 90% of it anyway. A bunch of neogeo mvs too, and a good lot extra cps2 games on the way courtesy of Mr Burton :)

For cabinets not so many

an electrocoin goliatha

nintendo punchout that needs top monitor resynched,

a radarscope that needs a power supply refitted

nintendo red tent with a handful of games, gradius, castlevania, Mario bros, Dr Mario, the goonies

After the cps2 stuff arriving, it's just splatterhouse and the punisher and I'm done. Finito.

Post edited by tonyotonyo on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I wonder if there are services out there what will just cut acrylic per your dimentions/order - it might make sense to protect a high value PCB you have which you might want to have on display. Do folks really want/need the platform stenciled on there too?

Edit - boom! https://cncrouter.ie/plastic-cutting

Ah a Nintendo tent unit, class :)

I had a similar idea but for cps2 boxes. Like the actual kit boxes that capcom packed them in. It's a bit of a pipedream but I identified a few places that could possibly reproduce them, the thing is what's the cost?

Yeah the red tent is cool. It's not the only one in Ireland though :p

I was looking through pictures and this must be a Christmas time one when it was set up

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That's some list! Really envious of that Undercover Cops board, any idea which version it is?

Yeah the price of those holders is mad alright, it would be around the same price as what I originally paid for most of my boards back in the day. The guy must be making a huge profit on each one.

Was it Brownfinger back in the day who used to have a acrylic cutter? I remember someone giving me a Jaleco Pony marquee that they made themselves.

I'll check out that link, thanks!

Advertisement